PXG 0311 Black Ops driver

lefthack

3 hours ago, theequipmentjunkie said:

Appreciate the kind words my man. To be transparent I was not fit and don’t really get fit for anything anymore.

I been fitting myself/building my own stuff for the last 7+ years and am pretty OCD about my equipment/specs (hence the name lol). Because of this, if I’m comfortable with a shaft (I have driven it great with DI 7TX), I won’t change it to get a specific head to work. 

Imo this allows me to truly see what one head does differently than something else vs. changing variables to optimize a new heads performance.

That said, it’s always tough if an OEM doesn’t carry a shaft I use or can’t necessarily build it the same way I might build something; So I have always just tried to choose shafts as close as I can to my gamers within their available arsenal.

With the PXG stuff I felt GP 7X was about as close to my DI 7TX as anything they had available. (I also had them send a TP 7X, but could immediately tell it was a bit too soft when swinging it).

But do I agree that I can do better in terms of getting stuff built to the exact same spec…

The good news is, I’m very fortunate to have a solid relationship with Graphite Design and we are addressing this issue; So for future driver videos I will have all DI 7TX’s (gamer shaft) with various OEM adapters, at my disposal, for comparison.

- TEJ

It would be interesting to see a retest of the PXG Black Ops standard with your DI shaft. Most reviews have it launching pretty high for its loft.

2 hours ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Drop da mic……I have to then ask you, what driver are you currently gaming?  As for other reviewers/readers here, your videos on YouTube are excellent.  The number crunching you do for ALL products/manufacturers you are reviewing are very very good.  

Genuinely appreciate the love and happy to hear you enjoy them! Any recommendations on vids or opinions, please don’t hesitate to reach out/quote me.

I’ll give you a quick backstory. I was driving the crap out of it with S2+ 9° (probably Oct-Dec). Only issue I felt is it wasn’t spinning enough to hit my draw consistently.

I turned it to 9.75° in early December and drove it nicely with a bit more spin, but didn’t love closing the face and it also went upright which starts ball left of where I like.

Then the Qi’s arrived. So I tested all on YT (as you likely saw) and really enjoyed the Core model. (Sat square and spun more were my two biggest reasons for switching).

Now, I’ve played that driver since the video and it’s been great but noticed my iron play was slowly getting worse. So recently I reassessed, worked on some swing stuff/got my iron flight in a better spot and when I went back to Qi10 Core I found I was hitting big pull draws.

So my conclusion is that the Qi10 Core CG is more heel side than I initially thought. This has forced some manipulations through impact to keep the face from turning over too much.

All that said, I’m back to something with (what I feel) is a more neutral CG in that of the Black Ops Tour-1 @ 10.5° and so far it’s been good, but I do really want to test a Qi10 LS 10.5° @ 9.75°.

I think the toughest part about reviews as a player is trying not to adapt to the equipment. It’s very hard to not manipulate your swing to try and get the best flight/numbers out of it that you can.

I don’t cut any shots out of my testing either, so it’s frustrating to let something just not work at all and move on (also tough to give an opinion on something if you can’t hit some decent shots and get solid strike numbers to compare). 

Nonetheless, I do still stand by my opinions in the video; And this is one of the main reasons I focus on comparisons where I have a control variable (gamer), that I hit against the other products. This way I am able to give an accurate view on what I’m seeing in comparison to something I know well.

We’ll see what the rest of testing season entails, because there’s a lot of great stuff out currently, but imo the Black Ops stuff is honestly really darn good if you can get them dialed in.

- TEJ

Edited by theequipmentjunkie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rlb4 said:

It would be interesting to see a retest of the PXG Black Ops standard with your DI shaft. Most reviews have it launching pretty high for its loft.

Likely will get a ‘24 “low-spin” driver shootout video made at some point in the future; This vid will have all models built to exact same specs for a head-to-head competition.

Now that video would be with the Tour-1, but if I end up doing a “core” model shootout then same rules will apply (in terms of spec buildout).

I am also looking into a “max” model shootout. Now it’s a bit odd since PXG doesn’t have a specific, “max” model but was considering manipulating weights to get it over 10k MOI for this video. Let me know your thoughts.

- TEJ

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, theequipmentjunkie said:

Likely will get a ‘24 “low-spin” driver shootout video made at some point in the future; This vid will have all models built to exact same specs for a head-to-head competition.

Now that video would be with the Tour-1, but if I end up doing a “core” model shootout then same rules will apply (in terms of spec buildout).

I am also looking into a “max” model shootout. Now it’s a bit odd since PXG doesn’t have a specific, “max” model but was considering manipulating weights to get it over 10k MOI for this video. Let me know your thoughts.

- TEJ

While the Tour model is likely better suited for you I was really surprised that the core model launched so low, especially with your swing speed. It's really designed to launch high.

Gear Junkie my pro has always said to me, play with someone who’s better than you and you’ll improve which is why I follow your channel.  Man this is good stuff.  Yeah, I’m gonna play around with the loft a little on my Black Ops.  I have it at 8 degree but going to increase loft a little to see how it effects my spin.  I’m coming off Paradym and had no idea how much it was spinning for me over a year now.  PXG dropped spin down by a lot and I love the feel of new driver.  So far so good but like you, it’s time for me to start tinkering on the sim with the lofts.  If I can pull 270-280 consistently which I’m almost there I’m good.   Keep up the good work.  Awesome stuff here for sure.  Your review on the 0317T’s was excellent as well.  Just striping it.   Ball action was tremendous.   Reminded me of when I followed JT around on course and was like wtf….. If you need me to caddy for you lmk….lol.   Ps if you did a 0317t vs T150 comparison that would go down in record books.  👍🏻

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, theequipmentjunkie said:

- TEJ

Another follower here. Love the content man. Just like others have said, enjoy watching you stripe it. Great video on the Black OPs. Love to see how the BO holds up against the big boys. Keep the content coming. Great job dude. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 2/8/2024 at 9:17 PM, mtnbiker5 said:

I just put Black Ops in the bag coming from Paradym.  I swore by my previous Para but could not believe how high it was spinning.  3500-3800 average spin.   PXG rep changed weights out all over the place for me and now my spin is significantly down from where I was on average to 1981 -2000 which is almost unheard of for me.  I seriously cannot wait to take this out when our fairways here are dry and watch it take off.  Sound and feel for me are fantastic.

I went for it. The standard Black Ops driver checks the boxes of what I need, which is being easy to hit where I aim it and not being too far off line if I miss, with excellent speed and sound. They’ve nailed the sound with this driver IMO. Highly adjustable is also a plus. And I really like the look from address, which is key. It’s got a fast face and speed retention on mishits is impressive. My best drives are good with every driver, so that is a given not a decision maker. The Black Ops is my choice because my worst drives were easily in play. Indeed, the worst drives with this head are significantly better than my worst drives with my Paradym triple d. 

My next choice probably would be the Qi10 standard, possibly the Max. The AI Smoke tests very well too. 

The Black Ops hybrid is also a winner. Took the PXG package deal of driver/hybrid for $50 off the hybrid. Standard driver 9 degree with stock Tensei Blue 60S (Always a solid shaft for me and I have a Diamana TB or a Graphite Design AD HD that I can swap in). Went 22 degree in the hybrid with the hybrid Tensei Blue 75S. 

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

9 hours ago, theequipmentjunkie said:

- TEJ

Curious, I know the tour version also has a back weight. Have you tinkered and put a really heavy weight back there to see how that changes launch? 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

8 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Curious, I know the tour version also has a back weight. Have you tinkered and put a really heavy weight back there to see how that changes launch? 

Good question. I have not tinkered with a heavier back weight.

I normally try to play my driver heads in the 193-197g range and these are 195g which is perfect.

As I start to add weight it affects deflection and droop in a way that isn’t great for my draw; And the amount I’d have to add to get a real change in launch would be at least probably 10g. Also just not a big fan, feel wise, of extra head heft in a driver.

Loft is always the easiest way to change launch, so that’s where I like to go if I really need to move something. That said, the more I play with the 10.5° T-1, it seems launch is getting closer to the window I’m liking which is nice to see.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, theequipmentjunkie said:

Good question. I have not tinkered with a heavier back weight.

I normally try to play my driver heads in the 193-197g range and these are 195g which is perfect.

As I start to add weight it affects deflection and droop in a way that isn’t great for my draw; And the amount I’d have to add to get a real change in launch would be at least probably 10g. Also just not a big fan, feel wise, of extra head heft in a driver.

Loft is always the easiest way to change launch, so that’s where I like to go if I really need to move something. That said, the more I play with the 10.5° T-1, it seems launch is getting closer to the window I’m liking which is nice to see.

Very cool. I may have to look at pxg then when I go for a driver fitting. I self fit into an epic max ls but I have a similar toe miss to you now after working on my swing for almost two years and I get the nose dive snap hooks that roll forever. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I just can’t shake the feel of the Qi10 carbon face but that’s just me.  Did nothing for me.  I also can’t shake the look of the Smoke driver at the bottom of the club.  Cant shake it, I know others have had debates on how your not looking at the base of the driver but it’s just not for me.   When I take the head cover off to go tee up my first reaction every time was no.  We all also know next year Callaway will launch a new driver that doesn’t look like that.    If I’m going to drop $500+ on a new driver head I want it to look the way I want.   Numbers were ok but spin was much lower for me in Black Ops.  

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, theequipmentjunkie said:

The good news is, I’m very fortunate to have a solid relationship with Graphite Design and we are addressing this issue; So for future driver videos I will have all DI 7TX’s (gamer shaft) with various OEM adapters, at my disposal, for comparison.

I’m glad to see someone finally doing this! I was going to suggest using All-Fit adapters/collars as an alternative. You’re eliminating a significant variable by using the same shaft. This should allow for a more meaningful comparison of club heads. I wish other reviewers would follow suit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Unibrow said:

I just got fit and ordered the standard. Hit it well and got it for $449. Still less than the competition. Love the looks, I may be in the minority, but I prefer the gloss over the matte. The whole glare thing is kind of overblown.

Nice. What shaft you go with? I am getting very interested in this driver. My Stealth 2 + is too low spin for me. This seems like a great option as a PXG guy.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, Unibrow said:

I just got fit and ordered the standard. Hit it well and got it for $449. Still less than the competition. Love the looks, I may be in the minority, but I prefer the gloss over the matte. The whole glare thing is kind of overblown.

Honestly, I've never observed any sort of distracting glare on a glossy driver head. Back in the day when I had my Speedline F11 it was a glossy head and I loved it. So bring on the gloss. 😄

I kind of feel like the shape of the head is more important to me, but I have to like the accents and designs, too. Though, I'm a "logo-up" kind of guy. I feel like the taller face of the Tour-1 is more appealing. I wonder how it'll respond when I bury it in extra weight.... 😄

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

55 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Honestly, I've never observed any sort of distracting glare on a glossy driver head. Back in the day when I had my Speedline F11 it was a glossy head and I loved it. So bring on the gloss. 😄

I kind of feel like the shape of the head is more important to me, but I have to like the accents and designs, too. Though, I'm a "logo-up" kind of guy. I feel like the taller face of the Tour-1 is more appealing. I wonder how it'll respond when I bury it in extra weight.... 😄

It's a Cobra Aerojet like gloss, not a Titleist/ TM S2 fugly look. 

I think I might be sold...Looking to get fit for one of the Black Ops models this upcoming week.  I reached out to the guy who fit me for my irons to see what his availability looks like.  Coming from my TSI3 so will be curious how the fitting turns out.  Can't wait to report back!

• Like 2

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

I was able to hit the Black Ops yesterday.  Got better numbers than my AeroJet LS.  Wasn't hit it great with either, bad swing day.  Mishits were more forgiving with the PXG.  This was the standard not tour model.  Averaged 500-800 less in spin and about 10 more yards. Biggest improvement for me was dispersion.  It's worth hitting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Anyone can compare a Stealth+/2+ to a BO? How is the launch on the BO compared to a Stealth+? 

We are waiting for you to do just that!  Report back on your findings... 😁

• Haha 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

It seems a lot of folks are fitting into the Standard Black Ops. Is the Tour-1 that drastically different?

How is the standard doing in live settings? Kind of interested in "live air" ball flight feedback on either one.

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

3 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

It seems a lot of folks are fitting into the Standard Black Ops. Is the Tour-1 that drastically different?

How is the standard doing in live settings? Kind of interested in "live air" ball flight feedback on either one.

Did you watch this review outdoors of both drivers?

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

3 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

Did you watch this review outdoors of both drivers?

Mostly, I suppose I meant between the two. Folks like the standard, and I probably would too. But one reviewer said "I was hitting knuckle balls with the the Tour-1."

That probably isn't me, but who knows. I suppose I just have to try it. I was hoping to get a few takes from folks who fit into the T-1.

51 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Well, I didn't get out of Scottsdale without stopping by HQ...Tour-1 10.5 was clear winner over the BOP for me...

No no no…. We need more info. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

No no no…. We need more info. 

Sorry, on a bird back to Houston...What else can I say, let's see, I tried T-1 10.5* with AD TP 6s and was getting nice penetrating shots but just a tad low launch. Still great shots, but fitter felt there could be slightly more with the XC 5s. I've never gone into the 5 profile with shafts, but it seemed to produce a little better smash, launch, spin and speed. We put the shaft in the BOP and the thing just ballooned and spun crazy with my swing. I'm sure we could've dialed it in, but personally, I like the look of the T-1 a lot better so wasn't going to waste time. Will probably put my Ventus Red TR 6s in it first, then circle back to the XC if I don't like the results. Should be interesting to see how it performs against my Cobra Aerojet LS and Darkspeed LS. Still working through my shaft collection for the Darkspeed and hoping to nail down '24s driver by mid March if the rain stops for a while. Excited to get the T-1, feels great and looks to be one of the better drivers this year and probably the best PXG driver they've released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Sorry, on a bird back to Houston...What else can I say, let's see, I tried T-1 10.5* with AD TP 6s and was getting nice penetrating shots but just a tad low launch. Still great shots, but fitter felt there could be slightly more with the XC 5s. I've never gone into the 5 profile with shafts, but it seemed to produce a little better smash, launch, spin and speed. We put the shaft in the BOP and the thing just ballooned and spun crazy with my swing. I'm sure we could've dialed it in, but personally, I like the look of the T-1 a lot better so wasn't going to waste time. Will probably put my Ventus Red TR 6s in it first, then circle back to the XC if I don't like the results. Should be interesting to see how it performs against my Cobra Aerojet LS and Darkspeed LS. Still working through my shaft collection for the Darkspeed and hoping to nail down '24s driver by mid March if the rain stops for a while. Excited to get the T-1, feels great and looks to be one of the better drivers this year and probably the best PXG driver they've released.

We all knew you had more. Safe trip back. Had to have went for the WM. You blackout? You chant “we want beer”??

I figured out that the Stealth 2+ is just too low spin for me. BO driver will be getting ordered without a fitting g. Just can’t decide 9 or 10.5. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick