Most Affordable and quality golf polo's, shorts, general apparel brands on the market

Hey all,

Looking to freshen up the golf wardrobe this winter/spring, I'm interested in some new polo's and shorts. Based on your experiences, what are the best affordable companies in these 2 categories? I'm ok with spending $50 (per polo/short) or less.

I've always wore nike apparel, but am looking to branch out into other companies that offer better quality offerings.

What suggestions do you have? I prefer something that's more of an athletic fit if that helps, thanks

Edited by jmagri78

• jmagri78 changed the title to Most Affordable and quality golf polo's, shorts, general apparel brands on the market

Just buy stuff on clearance, pretty much what I do. 

Most will suggest Target, 32Degrees or other brands on Amazon for cheap stuff. 

• Like 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

You can find tons of brands in that price point if you shop sales and clearances (which are plentiful at all the big online golf shops). There is usually a lot of Puma apparel at that sort of price point, and its not a huge jump from Nike. But just do a little searching for sales/clearance and you can load up. Some of the store brands are fine too if you’re not worried about the name on the tag. Walter Hagen or PGA Tour brand make poly shirts/shorts just like all the big boys. Maybe not quite as techy in the fabrics or high fashion, but definitely get the job done. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have gotten in a habit of just looking at the more expensive stuff, but have been searching for slim fitting polos. I have been wearing my Nike slim fits for like 5-6 years.

I decided to just size down, tried the UA Tech polo from the sale, like $32, love it, just found a bunch more on Amazon for $22-$30.

i need to search for deals more

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Sounds a little crazy but what I do is go to TJ Maxx or Ross (or Bealls Outlet if I'm in FLA).

You can go through there and find a ton of good quality polos at clearance prices. I have found =Nike, Adidas, Puma, Oakley, Callaway winter/summer gear, ect. All from $15-$30 a piece. I probably spent close to $100 last year and got a handful of new Adidas polos and 3 Callaway quarterzips. The same stuff they charge you $50-80 for at Golf Galaxy. I know Ross has Adidas 365 shorts and pants, I bought a few pairs in different colors for $19 a piece and they are the most comfortable golf shorts I've ever worn

Might not be exactly trendy enough for what your looking for, but if your looking for affordable you cant beat it lol

Edited by akronswitness
  • Like 2

Check out Oakley. They are not too expensive (although they’re not as cheap as they used to be) and they fit the more athletic style that you like.

They often have clearance sales on their website too

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 2:00 PM, jmagri78 said:

Hey all,

Looking to freshen up the golf wardrobe this winter/spring, I'm interested in some new polo's and shorts. Based on your experiences, what are the best affordable companies in these 2 categories? I'm ok with spending $50 (per polo/short) or less.

I've always wore nike apparel, but am looking to branch out into other companies that offer better quality offerings.

What suggestions do you have? I prefer something that's more of an athletic fit if that helps, thanks

Nike stuff is really hit and miss.  I have a long sleeve Nike polo that is good quality.  I wear it to the office occasionally but not to play golf in  (not a fan of long sleeves for golf).  My favorite shirt in my wardrobe is a green Nike dri-fit from several years ago.  I picked it up at a thrift store for $3. It has worn like iron (it has small perforations and vents in it for breathability.)  It remains stain/mark free so I still wear it sometimes.  I have a couple other Nike shirts that seem to be garbage (especially around the collar buttons.  Thankfully, I didn't pay full retail for any of it.  I have had great luck with UnderArmour golf clothes.  FootJoy is my favorite but they seem to be much more difficult to find stuff at a significant discount. 

Ross is great for discounted golf stuff, but is really hit and miss (for inventory) in my area.  I may go months without seeing anything. I'm a bit bigger  (6'2" 275 with a long torso) so finding clothes can be a bit of a challenge. Budget golf sometimes runs really good sales, too. I've heard great things about 32 Degrees stuff , especially for the price.  

That said, I miss Steve and Barry's. 

@akronswitness I actually just purchased 4 Nike polo shirts from the Nike clearance store. They were previous years styles/colors, but they were only $30 per polo. 2 were TW polo's, which I've never bought, but they at nice. All the polo's I bought are still in the current apparel line up, they're just a different colorway. 

Edited by jmagri78
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Anser3 said:

Nike stuff is really hit and miss.  I have a long sleeve Nike polo that is good quality.  I wear it to the office occasionally but not to play golf in  (not a fan of long sleeves for golf).  My favorite shirt in my wardrobe is a green Nike dri-fit from several years ago.  I picked it up at a thrift store for $3. It has worn like iron (it has small perforations and vents in it for breathability.)  It remains stain/mark free so I still wear it sometimes.  I have a couple other Nike shirts that seem to be garbage (especially around the collar buttons.  Thankfully, I didn't pay full retail for any of it.  I have had great luck with UnderArmour golf clothes.  FootJoy is my favorite but they seem to be much more difficult to find stuff at a significant discount. 

Ross is great for discounted golf stuff, but is really hit and miss (for inventory) in my area.  I may go months without seeing anything. I'm a bit bigger  (6'2" 275 with a long torso) so finding clothes can be a bit of a challenge. Budget golf sometimes runs really good sales, too. I've heard great things about 32 Degrees stuff , especially for the price.  

That said, I miss Steve and Barry's. 

Same, I'm a 'tweener' size where a lot of major brands XL fits good up top, but isn't long enough in the torso. XXL is too baggy up top but has the right length. Luckily I've noticed a lot of golf brands like Bad Birdie, Pins and Aces, ect have longer polos because they are made to be tucked in--I just wear them untucked so they actually fit correctly. A lot of major brands like Nike and Puma don't have that same added length typically so I feel pigeonholed into having to pay $70+ for a polo a lot of times from a niche golf specific brand.

Edited by akronswitness

5 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

Same, I'm a 'tweener' size where a lot of major brands XL fits good up top, but isn't long enough in the torso. XXL is too baggy up top but has the right length. Luckily I've noticed a lot of golf brands like Bad Birdie, Pins and Aces, ect have longer polos because they are made to be tucked in--I just wear them untucked so they actually fit correctly. A lot of major brands like Nike and Puma don't have that same added length typically so I feel pigeonholed into having to pay $70+ for a polo a lot of times from a niche golf specific brand.

Most Nike polos seem to be ridiculously short, generally. There are  a few I can tuck in. Moving up a size makes them look like tents on me (still not quite long enough and too baggy). 

I have broad shoulders and generally go XXL for that reason.  Most XXL Tall stuff fits fine.    Foundry shirts from JC Penney are decent, but they are cotton, not performance fabric.  I can wear an XL Tall in those (XXL get too baggy).  XXL Ping polos are about perfect in the shoulders/chest, but they are also generally shorter than I like. 

• Like 1

YOu should check out the 2nd Swing apparel section when they have coupon codes and you can get super nice brands for really good prices and some fun course logos on them

Taylormade Stealth Plus 9 degrees at 9.75 degrees - Ventus Black 6TX

Titleist TSR3 4W 16.5 degrees - Ventus TR Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 5HY 24 @23 degrees - Ventus Black 9TX

Taylormade Stealth UDI 2 Iron (18 Degrees) - Ventus Black 10TX HB

Mizuno Pro 223 5-PW Axiom 125X

Mizuno Pro 223 GW @ 50 degrees - BGT ZNE Wedge 130g 

Vokey SM9 Jet Black (54 degrees D Grind & 58 degrees K Grind) - BGT ZNE Wedge Shaft 130g
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 with BGT Stability Tour Blackout 
Srixon ZSTAR XV or Titleist AVX

13 minutes ago, acemac14 said:

YOu should check out the 2nd Swing apparel section when they have coupon codes and you can get super nice brands for really good prices and some fun course logos on them

Pretty much where I got all my polos last year. So they have club logos I'll take some for $30

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Great rec on 2nd Swing @acemac14 - I've never had good luck with the Nikes / UAs of the world, so I'd recommend watching deals on Greyson / Peter Millar (my go-tos, alongside H&B).  

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

5 minutes ago, ChrisATL said:

Great rec on 2nd Swing @acemac14 - I've never had good luck with the Nikes / UAs of the world, so I'd recommend watching deals on Greyson / Peter Millar (my go-tos, alongside H&B).  

Yea I have gotten some nice H&B, greyson and Zero Restriction from them for great deals (better than any sale at those brands) and kinda sucks since it is final sale, but once you know your size, it is very reliable. 

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus 9 degrees at 9.75 degrees - Ventus Black 6TX

Titleist TSR3 4W 16.5 degrees - Ventus TR Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 5HY 24 @23 degrees - Ventus Black 9TX

Taylormade Stealth UDI 2 Iron (18 Degrees) - Ventus Black 10TX HB

Mizuno Pro 223 5-PW Axiom 125X

Mizuno Pro 223 GW @ 50 degrees - BGT ZNE Wedge 130g 

Vokey SM9 Jet Black (54 degrees D Grind & 58 degrees K Grind) - BGT ZNE Wedge Shaft 130g
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 with BGT Stability Tour Blackout 
Srixon ZSTAR XV or Titleist AVX

• 2 weeks later...

You could try the PGA Tour brand. I have a pair of there pants and a couple pairs of shorts and they are not bad and about half the price as some of the bigger names.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11