2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Opinions: YouTube golf creators to compete for spot in Myrtle Beach Classic

RSLP

I like that they are streaming it "live" so nobody can scroll ahead and post the winner.  

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

Before this started I figured it would likely be either Jerge, Crashkins or Cardboard. That's pretty close to the way it finished up. Fair play to the 15 year old too. Good showing. Wanted George to win, but I like Mattkins and he's been playing very solidly in Monday Q's recently. He deserves a spot as much as anyone. Side note - I was also impressed and happy for Peter Finch. He put a pretty good round together.

Having said all that, the presentation was dreadful. So much more that they could have done and didn't. It was so drab. Basically an occasional voiceover that was wrong as often as it was right, some bleeped out responses from the players to their shots and just general lackluster production. They could have been interviewing the players as they go, getting clubs, yardages, whatever. Like FP had Bob caddying for him. To have got some "insight" from him, or indeed any of the others would have been fun. Curious to see what the youtubers put out off their own bat. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

I'm betting the individual YT guy's vids from the event will be so much better than the event vid we watched today.  Peter said his vid is coming out on Friday I think, during his podcast today.  Should be a good watch, as his team do a great job with filming and editing.  

• Like 3

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

1 hour ago, Ty_Webb said:

Having said all that, the presentation was dreadful. So much more that they could have done and didn't. It was so drab. Basically an occasional voiceover that was wrong as often as it was right, some bleeped out responses from the players to their shots and just general lackluster production. They could have been interviewing the players as they go, getting clubs, yardages, whatever. Like FP had Bob caddying for him. To have got some "insight" from him, or indeed any of the others would have been fun. Curious to see what the youtubers put out off their own bat. 

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by Peacock this is how it was handled ;}

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

did you even watch it?

Yeah, unfortunately.  These guys should stick to what they do best.   They sat on this for two months and gave us an awful production. On top of that,  outside of the two guys we knew would do well, the golf was dismal.   They're great golfers in their environments, but they are not tournament ready golfers.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, Ty_Webb said:

Before this started I figured it would likely be either Jerge, Crashkins or Cardboard. That's pretty close to the way it finished up. Fair play to the 15 year old too. Good showing. Wanted George to win, but I like Mattkins and he's been playing very solidly in Monday Q's recently. He deserves a spot as much as anyone. Side note - I was also impressed and happy for Peter Finch. He put a pretty good round together.

That last paragraph.  These guys are incredible personalities, why not let that shine?

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Agree that the production could have been much better, specially since this happened months ago.  I did however enjoy this, was pleasantly surprised with the George and Finch. Kwon and maybe Grant have enough game to also compete for a spot.  Fat Perez, Micah and Rappaport need to be substituted for a few other youtubers and see if they do better. Kruper, Brad Dalhke and Garret from GG come to mind as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MountainKing said:

That last paragraph.  These guys are incredible personalities, why not let that shine?

The production quality is what I would have expected if they showed it live *7 weeks* ago. But it was dreadful. The irony is all of the big YT guys now have their own production teams and put out way higher quality product than this - they didnt think to reach out for any help or advice? It was bad.

But I went back and watched because I'm a fan of Peter Finch - actually thought he played really well. But the above was right, most of these golfers are not tournament quality.

• Like 3

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

46 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

The production quality is what I would have expected if they showed it live *7 weeks* ago. But it was dreadful. The irony is all of the big YT guys now have their own production teams and put out way higher quality product than this - they didnt think to reach out for any help or advice? It was bad.

But I went back and watched because I'm a fan of Peter Finch - actually thought he played really well. But the above was right, most of these golfers are not tournament quality.

Agreed. I like Peter Finch and I enjoy his stuff. He's quite self deprecating, which I side with, but I've also seen some of his stuff recently where he's struggling to break 80. I saw him playing with the Bryan Bros on a collaboration and I thought that was going to be horrendously one-sided, but he actually kept himself pretty well in it for a long time. Then to shoot +1 on what was obviously not an easy course and with some ridiculous pin positions was great. 

But with the exception of George B, the influencers were never going to be at the same level as the pros. Atkins has won a KFT event and Scott Stevens got his PGA Tour card a year or two ago. Those guys can seriously play. The fact that none of them shot lights out tells me how tough the course was. I was disappointed that FP didn't do better. I really like him, but I guess playing against a couple of hackers playing scramble doesn't prep you for a play it down card in your hand for a PGA Tour start. That's a whole lot of pressure. 

• Like 2

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

I enjoy Peter Finch and watched quite a bit until I couldn't and then just checked back later for the winner.  He acquitted himself well.  Looked like a reasonably tough test, greens seems pretty firm and fast - so it wasn't going to be a birdie fest, probably played into the hands of the real pros and no surprise at the winner.

I don't get the piling on the other participants - it was in their interest to play, they were allowed to play, so what?  Some had bad days for them, some had expected days - Fat Perez was there for the clicks, more power to him, I doubt any reasonable person would have expected him to play better.  Morris is a good player, surprised by his result, but I don't watch him - but no big deal. 

So easy to go off on people out of envy and some weird sense of entitlement.  Nice event for what it was and the prize was a fun reward.

Edited by Hawkeye77

I really wish I didn't dislike Rapaport as much as I do. Whether it be twitter or this video, everything he does irks me. 

Also... How wild was that pin position on that Par 5? Goofy golf on that hole.

Edited by coreyhr
  • Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60 S

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85 S

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95 X
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 S Black 

Toulon First Run Memphis

20 minutes ago, KennyP said:

Anyone got a leaderboard they can post?

LB1.jpg.07abd751849ce71a3335259e30d88248.jpgLB2.jpg.4fdc12b6143cba9a24f2364ff523ea20.jpg

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60 S

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85 S

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95 X
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 S Black 

Toulon First Run Memphis

Atkins -3

Bryan -3

Watts -1

Stevens E

Card E

Finch +1

Pettit +1

Deneen +2

Rapaport +4

Wilkinson +4
Wilson +5

Kwon +6

FP +9

Lantz +11

Morris +14

Can't figure out what Grant finished on

• Like 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

I think the scores turned out about exactly like I’d expect. The real pros rose to the top. Rapapport and Horvat who are both low single digit players had a decent round that probably could’ve been up or down depending on the day. Lantz and perez played to about their ability. Both in the real world are likely 7-8 caps. And Micah played to his ability. He’s always been behind all the others. Just hides it well. Hits the ball a long way with driver but that doesnt amount to much in a real tournament. Hasn’t much short game and is a head case. All in all I’d say this shook out about as I expected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coreyhr said:

I really wish I didn't dislike Rapaport as much as I do. 

For me, I think it started the first season of Full Swing and took off from there. And I have no reasonable explanation as to why.

• Like 1

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

18 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I tend to lean harder into youtube golf content that is geared towards showcasing golf courses/storytelling  vs "x personality challenged me to a match", but gave some of these youtubers a shot based on their participation in this event. 

Someone needs to fill me in on the popularity of Luke Kwon.  The guy has the personality of a doorknob. 

• Like 3

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

For being their big hyped event this was a huge let down. To not have a youtuber win and a completely no name pro (no offense to that guy, he’d kick my butt) win was just the perfect icing for a crap cake. 

Poor, almost non-existent production value. Poor, in some cases just plain bad golf by half of the competitors. After having seen it i’m really surprised they are getting a PGA tour start out of this, expected way more. 

Edited by DoughBack18

3 hours ago, Bourni1 said:

Agree that the production could have been much better, specially since this happened months ago.  I did however enjoy this, was pleasantly surprised with the George and Finch. Kwon and maybe Grant have enough game to also compete for a spot.  Fat Perez, Micah and Rappaport need to be substituted for a few other youtubers and see if they do better. Kruper, Brad Dalhke and Garret from GG come to mind as well. 

I believe Garret was part of it initially, and smartly took himself out.  I don't think this event would hurt any of them,  but there's no real benefit for them to have their games exposed this way.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, toddbournes said:

I think the scores turned out about exactly like I’d expect. The real pros rose to the top. Rapapport and Horvat who are both low single digit players had a decent round that probably could’ve been up or down depending on the day. Lantz and perez played to about their ability. Both in the real world are likely 7-8 caps. And Micah played to his ability. He’s always been behind all the others. Just hides it well. Hits the ball a long way with driver but that doesnt amount to much in a real tournament. Hasn’t much short game and is a head case. All in all I’d say this shook out about as I expected. 

You think FP is a 7-8 handicap? Seriously? Here is his GHIN: https://www.ghin.com/golfer-lookup/golfer/53616c7465645f5fe48e615716481417a2a3e7eeb0abe46a/club/11872

Also, Grant "low single digits" is laughable. He was toe to toe with Wesley Bryan in their Bermuda shoot out thing. No chance a "low single digits" is doing that. Grant's probably a +3 or +4 and FP is a +1. Inclined to agree about Lantz, but everyone in the field had to be no higher than 0.0 to be allowed to play.

• Thanks 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C