2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Opinions: YouTube golf creators to compete for spot in Myrtle Beach Classic

RSLP

On 4/24/2024 at 8:33 AM, Ty_Webb said:

I was disappointed that FP didn't do better. I really like him, but I guess playing against a couple of hackers playing scramble doesn't prep you for a play it down card in your hand for a PGA Tour start. That's a whole lot of pressure. 

Didn't seem to be the pressure so much as the length he gave up versus those other guys. Huge difference between hitting an 8 iron into a green and a 4 iron. Probably didn't help that they loaded up on Bojangles the night before.

The lack of a regular leaderboard throughout was baffling. I wish they had just leaned into the ASMR rather than the sparse/weird/dull interviews. Either up the production value/editing or just let it be golf sounds. This was a terrible, boring middle ground.

Surprising how many people in this thread have no idea how tournament golf ≠ casual muni golf.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

1 hour ago, chocolate_rehab said:

Didn't seem to be the pressure so much as the length he gave up versus those other guys. Huge difference between hitting an 8 iron into a green and a 4 iron. Probably didn't help that they loaded up on Bojangles the night before.

The lack of a regular leaderboard throughout was baffling. I wish they had just leaned into the ASMR rather than the sparse/weird/dull interviews. Either up the production value/editing or just let it be golf sounds. This was a terrible, boring middle ground.

Surprising how many people in this thread have no idea how tournament golf ≠ casual muni golf.

Probably walking the course doesn't help FP too given BDS use carts all the time.

Edited by iBanesto
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, chocolate_rehab said:

I haven't seen much FP content... What's his average driver distance?

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

I actually enjoyed it and it was fun to see some nerves from guys and I think if they used some of the YouTube guys editors they could really have a great production value. 

I was pulling for George!

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

3 hours ago, GolfinDave said:

They don’t go through distances too often but I always guessed around 240. 

I seem to remember him saying his driver clubhead speed is about 102mph, which ought to get him out to around 250 carry I would think if he is optimized. Not sure about that though. 

7 hours ago, jimecherry said:

crashkins is having a pretty solid tournament out in texas at the kft veritas bank champ. he shot a 65 -6 under and his second round which got delayed due to a thunderstorm has him at -7 thru 16 with a par 5 left.

Crashkins is really freaking good - very glad to see him doing well. Wesley has a video of him and Matt trying to make HIOs on 7 at Pebble on the simulator. Wesley I think won, but Atkins hit probably half his shots within a foot of going in and nothing was dropping. Wesley was all over the place, but holed 3 or 4 of them somehow. 

16 hours ago, chocolate_rehab said:

From watching the BDS video, it seems that the pressure got to him a little bit. He got a couple of bad breaks (drives winding up in divots and the like) and probably got a little gassed by the end of it. Walking 18 under pressure when you don't normally do that is hard work, especially for someone his size. He did say that he needed to be seriously on, given how much distance he's giving up to others out there. George's ball speed is in the low 170s I think - not to mention that he seems to be able to go at his driver and still hit it center cut every time pretty much, so he's probably got 50 yards over FP. That's a lot to give up to someone as good as GB is.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

45 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

I seem to remember him saying his driver clubhead speed is about 102mph, which ought to get him out to around 250 carry I would think if he is optimized. Not sure about that though. 

Sounds about right. Should maybe be closer to 245 - I'm at about 240-245yd carry with a 101-104mph swingspeed. Fairway dependent I can see anywhere from 250-275 total. That's a large difference to give up against the 300yd carry guys when playing from tournament tips.

Chart here - https://www.golfwrx.com/64715/carry-distance-vs-swing-speed-chart/

Edited by Rearviewmirror

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

21 hours ago, iBanesto said:

"Tyler Watts finished in third place at 1-under 71, while Scott Stevens and Jay Card tied for fourth at even-par 72. Finch and Turk Pettit shared sixth place at 1-over 73. Other scores included Morgan Deneen (74), Dan Rapaport (76), Ryan Wilkinson (76), Jamie Wilson (77), Luke Kwon (78), Grant Horvat (79), Fat Perez (81), Cole Lantz (83) and Micah Morris (86)."

What happened to Michah Morris?

He isn't playing a 6300 yard course on a Youtube channel but actually tournament golf.  Didn't he shoot like 83 in the PGA Canada he was given a sponsor's invite to?

Edited by ilikegolf26
  • Like 1

I read years ago that the difference between a scratch handicapper and a pro is much greater than that between a scratch and a 10 handicapper. I don't know if that's true/accurate or not, but it does seem that the tougher-and-more-tournament-ready a golf course is, the more glaring is the gap between very good to excellent golfers / youtubers  and those who've actually qualified for tour-level events and play professionally. 

Edited by PeterJP
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, PeterJP said:

I read years ago that the difference between a scratch handicapper and a pro is much greater than that between a scratch and a 10 handicapper. I don't know if that's true/accurate or not, but it does seem that the tougher-and-more-tournament-ready a golf course is, the more glaring is the gap between very good to excellent golfers / youtubers  and those who've actually qualified for tour-level events and play professionally. 

I don't know the difference is the number of shots. The ball striking I'm sure there is a bigger difference between pro and scratch vs the other...I play with guys that are scratch and hit it terrible just chip and putt incredible. 

Also depends what pros...you see bunch of 80+ scores in all these Canadian pga or korn ferry events (and even in some of the pga events). 

Edited by soap1984
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, soap1984 said:

I don't know the difference is the number of shots. The ball striking I'm sure there is a bigger difference between pro and scratch vs the other...I play with guys that are scratch and hit it terrible just chip and putt incredible. 

Also depends what pros...you see bunch of 80+ scores in all these Canadian pga or korn ferry events (and even in some of the pga events). 

Bingo.  

ball-striking between a scratch golfer and a pro (+6) is the biggest visible difference you will notice.  Scratch - 10 handicap going to have a lot more variability.  Mostly course management and ability to get the ball in the hole  in 2 strokes or less once you're inside 20 yards.

19 hours ago, PeterJP said:

yes and also the pressure of your score actually mattering and every stroke counting. 

YouTubers play with their buddies and in formats where their total individual score normally doesn’t matter. 

real pros have to shoot a certain score to maybe pay their bills. Different game. 

of course there are some fake “pros” who don’t really have the game to be there. 

but someone like Atkins who has won a KF event. That is a different player than Horvak/YouTubers. 

Edited by straightshot7
  • Like 2

oops.

Edited by bobfoster

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Interesting story from the round on Finch’s podcast. 18th tee as he’s about to tee off there is some goober running around like a headless chicken behind him because a camera battery went flat. Despite numerous people telling him “dude, at this point the golf is more important, leave it” he continued to flail around behind the tee even weaving and dodging around people that stood in his way to get him to stop. I listened back twice and couldn’t determine if it was someone from the offical film crew or a YouTubers crew but apparently it disrupted things for a good 5 mins

Callaway Rogue ST 🔹🔹🔹LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR blue 6X

Titleist TSr3 16.5* - Tensei Blue 65X

Titleist 2023 t200 4 Project X 6.0

Titleist 2021 t100s 5-GW - Project X 6.0

Vokey SM9 - 52*, 56* m grind

Cleveland Zipcore raw - 60* low

Odyssey White Hot OG 1/OG 11/Toulon Atlanta

Srixon Z Star🔹

15 hours ago, Chopper Dave said:

Interesting story from the round on Finch’s podcast. 18th tee as he’s about to tee off there is some goober running around like a headless chicken behind him because a camera battery went flat. Despite numerous people telling him “dude, at this point the golf is more important, leave it” he continued to flail around behind the tee even weaving and dodging around people that stood in his way to get him to stop. I listened back twice and couldn’t determine if it was someone from the offical film crew or a YouTubers crew but apparently it disrupted things for a good 5 mins

Shrink the game...

• Confused 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

This video is indicative of a guy who plays at Tour level(Wesley) vs your garden variety +index golfer (Grant).  There is a part 1 version of this video too.  

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

11 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

This video is indicative of a guy who plays at Tour level(Wesley) vs your garden variety +index golfer (Grant).  There is a part 1 version of this video too.  

That Wesley was under par in that first round on the Ocean course, in those winds, was crazy.  He missed a few short putts too.  His short game is just ridiculously good.  

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

9 hours ago, dwboston said:

That Wesley was under par in that first round on the Ocean course, in those winds, was crazy.  He missed a few short putts too.  His short game is just ridiculously good.  

His wedge game is just absolutely ridiculously good. If he had a solid head game he would be a serious contender.

1 hour ago, Rearviewmirror said:

His wedge game is just absolutely ridiculously good. If he had a solid head game he would be a serious contender.

I was most impressed with his driving. That's normally what holds him back, but it was stripe show after stripe show in those two videos. If he can hang on to that, he'll be pretty competitive I would think.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant