2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Opinions: YouTube golf creators to compete for spot in Myrtle Beach Classic

RSLP

15 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

His wedge play is freakishly good too and he rarely gets himself into trouble. He played poorly in this and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it, but for aforementioned reasons, that's not that surprising. For George B and definitely Matt Atkins, probably the other pros too, they play Monday qualifiers, which is basically what this was. It's their bread and butter, while for the content creators, this was completely outside of their wheelhouse.

Your  description of FP’s game is spot on for just about every scratch player ive played with. I realize that is anecdotal.

this thread makes it seem like all scratch players have these majestic ball striking abilities.  In my experience in the real world they don’t stand out for the their ball striking.  As a matter oh fact I tend to joke they’re called scratch golfers cause it leaves you scratching your head in disbelief after they tell you they shot a 73 on what seemed like a boring stress free round.  150 yard 7 irons with what I could consider a low apex is pretty much the norm for what I’ve seen.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

"Deserve" has nothing to do with it - I assume it's a sponsor's exemption and a great way to use it, but also IMO.

I get it. There are just a ton of guys out there fighting for a living who could beat the youtube crowd lefty. I understand the merits of including them but still, I just don't feel great about it. Sponsor's exemptions are still usually competitive in tour events, even Steph Curry (who only got a KFT start despite being a legit plus) and Tony Romo. But I think its delusional to think that Fat Perez is going to give the cut line a scare in a tour event. 

3 minutes ago, Sixcat said:

If FP played into greens from Micah's tee shots, he might have been around par or maybe a little better.

From where Micah looked to be hitting his tee shots, FP would need peak Tiger Woods level recovery skills to shoot around par. 🤣

27 minutes ago, kiawah said:

I get it. There are just a ton of guys out there fighting for a living who could beat the youtube crowd lefty. I understand the merits of including them but still, I just don't feel great about it. Sponsor's exemptions are still usually competitive in tour events, even Steph Curry (who only got a KFT start despite being a legit plus) and Tony Romo. But I think its delusional to think that Fat Perez is going to give the cut line a scare in a tour event. 

Agreed completely. I don't think FP would stand a chance of making the cut. I don't think any of the other influencers (bar George) would either. Heck Crashkins is probably going to struggle to make the cut and he's RFG. He's a better player than George. He's pretty much equal to Wesley (who didn't play in this because he's already in the field). 

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

3 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

From where Micah looked to be hitting his tee shots, FP would need peak Tiger Woods level recovery skills to shoot around par. 🤣

I'll rephrase....If FP had Micah's length and maintained his own ability to hit it straight, he would have been at or under par at TPC Dirty Myrtle. But you knew what I was trying to say. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sixcat said:

I'll rephrase....If FP had Micah's length and maintained his own ability to hit it straight, he would have been at or under par at TPC Dirty Myrtle. But you knew what I was trying to say. 

Fair point - I was just making fun at Micah's expense 🙂

For what it's worth, if FP hit it as far as Micah and with his control, he'd be quite a bit better than scratch and would probably have been under par in this event. That would basically make him like George or Matt. 

• Like 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

3 minutes ago, GolfinDave said:

Spoiler but they gave George an exemption anyways. Wesley may make the signature event so gotta keep 1 in. 

That’s so good. George has the game to win. Bryan Bros are the best on YT. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

16 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

That’s so good. George has the game to win. Bryan Bros are the best on YT. 

My favorite YT golf channel.  George is Mr Fairway and Wesley best wedge and putter not only on YT but top tier on Tour imo.  Great move to give George that sponsors exemption. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Pretty cool turn of events. Win for all sides and better use of an exemption than a certain few that have been handed out recently. 

The MB Classic, the Tour, and the YouTube cohort will all get a nice ride off of this. Can't lie, all involved have been doing a surprisingly good job this year of blending the traditional & new school sides of the game.

• Like 1

It is honestly pretty embarrassing that you could bring in all the best YouTubers for an event, and then put out a video like that. What an absolute snoozer. You can just imagine some old fart saying "lets get in on this YouTube thing" with no idea how to make a video, and without the sense to lean on the content creators to help with it at all. And did ya'll notice them editing in driver sounds for iron shots, like this? (clicking play should start video at 1:26:49). Such a joke.

Edited by Celeras

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

19 hours ago, Sixcat said:

I haven't posted on here in a very long time but felt this needed to be said. FP plays out of Keswick Club in central Virginia, not too far from me. In his videos from Keswick, he always plays the "Keswick" tees as seen in the attached image. The "Keswick" tees are 6,040 yards (scorecard link attached). He has a phenomenal wedge game but he's not hitting wedges on a 7,000 yard golf course unless it's for his 3rd shot. He doesn't have the length to play from that distance. His 81 at TPC Dirty Myrtle is actually pretty impressive considering the length he gave up. If FP played into greens from Micah's tee shots, he might have been around par or maybe a little better.

Keswick.png.79e8d4861246b7aac1964221d7757a52.png

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/keswickc/detailedscorecard.htm

Fascinating! Not that far down the road from me, and didn't know there was another Dye course nearby - sadly private.

I'm glad they exempted George in - I think he has the game to at least be in the top ten, I do think he gets a bit negative when the chips are down whereas Wes plays so many yo-yo rounds with half birdies/bogeys.

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

1 hour ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I’ll take Rory at 6 under, blockie at 2 under and fp par to 80 depending on level of hangover and booze consumption during round.

Which way round is that correlation going? Inverse?

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

13 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

That is a great question.  I don’t have the answer but would tune in to find out. 😂

Based on most of their content (and my experience), his scores will get better with a few drinks, and then start to get worse as time goes on.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Just now, Pnwpingi210 said:

Agreed.  Thats true for most of us.

Pool is the game it's most noticeable in for me. I'm half way decent sober, then about 3-5 drinks in I get better. Like playing 15 ball I'll typically get 5 or 6 of my balls in, then miss and blather around for a bit. By 5-7 drinks I become frighteningly good - I can run the table at this stage. By 9 I'm substantially on the downslope. All good fun 🙂

• Like 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

4 hours ago, jimecherry said:

still waiting for micah's, barstool dan, and busta jacks videos 

You think Micah is going to narrate his own blowout? Doesn't really fit his "all part of the program" narrative...

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

"Tyler Watts finished in third place at 1-under 71, while Scott Stevens and Jay Card tied for fourth at even-par 72. Finch and Turk Pettit shared sixth place at 1-over 73. Other scores included Morgan Deneen (74), Dan Rapaport (76), Ryan Wilkinson (76), Jamie Wilson (77), Luke Kwon (78), Grant Horvat (79), Fat Perez (81), Cole Lantz (83) and Micah Morris (86)."

What happened to Michah Morris?

51 minutes ago, iBanesto said:

"Tyler Watts finished in third place at 1-under 71, while Scott Stevens and Jay Card tied for fourth at even-par 72. Finch and Turk Pettit shared sixth place at 1-over 73. Other scores included Morgan Deneen (74), Dan Rapaport (76), Ryan Wilkinson (76), Jamie Wilson (77), Luke Kwon (78), Grant Horvat (79), Fat Perez (81), Cole Lantz (83) and Micah Morris (86)."

What happened to Michah Morris?

Micah Morris happened to Micah Morris. Every mistake he made he managed to make worse on the next shot. 

• Like 1