Opinions: YouTube golf creators to compete for spot in Myrtle Beach Classic

RSLP

The top youtube golfers definitely have game.  IMO the best are Wesley Bryan, George Bryan, and Luke Kwon.  Wesley won a PGA Tour event and if he could hit more fairways off the tee, he'd likely be a top 125 player.  The guy has some of the best hands I've seen and his putting is amazing.  George Bryan went through Q School and made a PGA Tour cut already.  Luke Kwon has made multiple cuts and has won money on the PGA Tour(it appears to be mostly Korn Ferry however).   It's fun watching these guys especially the Bryan brothers.  Wesley and Rahm came up together with Rahm just taking it to the next level.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

1 hour ago, subrew said:

Funny enough, there was an article a few days ago about a LET player being sponsored by OnlyFans.  And not in a T&A sorta way.  More of a behind the scenes as a pro golfer gets about her day to day life on tour:

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/ladies-european-tour-star-amy-boulden-launches-onlyfans

Apparently Nick Kyrgios (male pro tennis star) did it last year.  

I honestly didn't know much about OnlyFans, and assumed it was all pron.  

"With women’s golf continuing to grow in popularity, OnlyFans feels like the perfect platform to showcase the sport globally."  

Well... She's not wrong! 😂

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, notsohard said:

Youtube golf "numbers" are way above any other golf tour "numbers"...watch it when you like, plenty of entertaining videos, and just a way better platform.....so why not get on the gravy train to get numbers watching "your" inferior platform. Be it PGAT, DPT, LIV.

They’ve definitely had an impact on getting the younger generation interested in golf. Good or bad, I dunno…

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, notsohard said:

Youtube golf "numbers" are way above any other golf tour "numbers"...watch it when you like, plenty of entertaining videos, and just a way better platform.....so why not get on the gravy train to get numbers watching "your" inferior platform. Be it PGAT, DPT, LIV.

YouTube golf wins on total numbers, no doubt, and as you say, watch when you like, but it's unlikely to supplant traditional outlets any time soon. I wholly agree that all of the pro tours as well as the networks they're tied to should be getting in on the action intelligently. Peacock just carried a Good Good event complete with OnDemand availability of the entire night afterward. It's going to be quite a while before any YouTube channels on their own can manage the logistics costs to handle that themselves.

Part of why YouTube golf works so well is that players, enthusiasts, and instructors can all throw their product out to see what sticks and continue holding an audience with minimal overhead. If they're successful they make money that far exceeds the cash capital put in. Sponsors like it because as little as a few hundred dollars of free product can get them over a million captive impressions for their item or brand.

Standard ad revenue and even higher dollar sponsor features aren't going to pay for camera crews, or full field tournament organization, or for the purses needed to make sense for the best in the world to show up regularly for events, though. Most online platforms also don't have a complete team to handle all of the people-related things needed for handling a large number of individuals being put in front of a large number of viewers, and today more than ever that includes hands in place to keep people from making comments, etc., that can end up as a nightmare, especially when live. I don't think any of the YouTube crews are ready to or have the connections just yet to figure out lodging, volunteers, courtesy cars, and all the other little things that let large scale events happen seemingly without a hitch most weeks.

Traditional outlets aren't inferior, they're simply older and slower to evolve, while also being far more stable and having a far larger cache of resources to draw from. Both sides would be wise to take advantage of the strengths each brings.

Edited by PedronNiall
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bcjim said:

At this point, the Bryans hanging around YT golf tournaments is a bit like an Olympic athlete showing up at your local 5k. It's getting tacky.

This thing should be for guys who probably could not ever otherwise qualify. 

wesley is not in the Q george is and george would have to monday qualify to get into the myrtle beach classic

Edited by jimecherry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KennyP said:

Some inflated egos could get crushed. Peter Finch has never even made it through Open regional qualifying. More likely to shoot over 80 than under 70.

If I had to bet, then maybe you're right on the score. He can put together a great round though, so who knows! But I don't think it's fair to say Peter's got an inflated ego. He seems to be pretty down to earth and has a good perspective on his ability. He can even be rather self-deprecating at times, perhaps to his own detriment.

• Like 1
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

15 hours ago, PlatinumNike said:

The tournament can let in whoever they want. Either play better to get in or get an audience. 

now if that guy comes in 10 shots behind last place then maybe they should reconsider. 

Didn’t Micah Morris get a PGA Tour Canada sponsors exemption and go out and shoot 86 or something and finish dead last?

Edited by ilikegolf26
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, rooski said:

Here we go I will make some very accurate predictions

Peter Finch - 72 

Micah Morris - 83

Busta - 89 (watching him chip into the grain Bermuda is going to be brutal)

Madjack - 73

Dan Rapaport - I don't know who he is

Grant Horvat - 70

Fat Perez - 82 (he doesn't have the length for that course and those greens don't like long approaches)

George Bryan - Clean 67 that takes the dub

This looks about right for the guys I’ve seen play. Probably giving Fat Perez too much credit. 

Edited by ilikegolf26
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

You posted it, what is your opinion?

I think the Sponsor  Visit Myrtle Beach (VMB) will get more views (youtube Q + event) as compared to the Wells Fargo.  The Q will get the most views thanks to all the Youtube followers of the Q's field.  Good for VMB as the Promoter Sponsor!  And, good for professional golf who needs more views as a whole.

As others have said, some of these athletes are good players and having a path to play professionally is always good.

Callaway Rogue 12 degree Driver , stiff shaft

3 Maltby Hy , stiff shaft

Maltby KE4 Max 4-GW w/ TT Score S Flex

Maltby TSW DRM 52 / 56 / 58 all regular flex

Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle Putter

6 hours ago, KennyP said:

Some inflated egos could get crushed. Peter Finch has never even made it through Open regional qualifying. More likely to shoot over 80 than under 70.

I can tell you from personal experience, Peter Finch is the antithesis of inflated ego. And really nothing about his content would suggest it either if you’ve watched a fair amount.  A little awkward? Sure. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I can tell you from personal experience, Peter Finch is the antithesis of inflated ego. And really nothing about his content would suggest it either if you’ve watched a fair amount.  A little awkward? Sure. 

Agreed.  I tend to listen to his group's podcast, and they just spoke about his involvement in this event.  He helped pull the concept together, and there isn't a hint of ego coming from this man.  He acknowledged what he needs to work on, and his "build my bag" and "quest for the open" vids this year have shown the work.  

Where these UK/Euro guys suffer is the inability to play any meaningful golf during the winter months.  It's not just bad weather, it's the fact courses often use temp greens and put hitting mats on tee boxes.  So they tend to travel a lot to put together vids this time of year.  Meanwhile the Florida lads are playing every single day.

• Like 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

His latest vid about the Good Good event was a good watch, better than the actual Good Good coverage.  And he had a good top-end fitting with Trottie at the Kingdom.  He's a bit goofy, but entertaining, and I've come to appreciate his crew of filming/editing guys.  Genuinely nice dudes with a passion for golf, and they aren't wrapped up in some side hustle promoting a single brands clubs.  A big goal for the build my bag series is to get a lot of different brands in the bag.

• Like 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

OK here's one thing I don't understand that is just...dumb...if I'm reading everything right.

This event is March 5th. Its closed to the public.

It wont be put on their YouTube channel until April 23rd?

Is there some kind of...irony that in an event highlighting the most popular YouTubers and appealing to the YT generation - that its going to take them 7 weeks to get some highlight clips online?

If this was available on streaming I would definitely click in and watch it. But its going to take them almost two months to get a highlight package up on YouTube??

Maybe I'm reading it wrong and I'm open to deleting this if I am LOL.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Also makes me wonder if the YT guys will have to embargo their results until it gets online.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

18 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

OK here's one thing I don't understand that is just...dumb...if I'm reading everything right.

Is there some kind of...irony that in an event highlighting the most popular YouTubers and appealing to the YT generation - that its going to take them 7 weeks to get some highlight clips online?

If this was available on streaming I would definitely click in and watch it. But its going to take them almost two months to get a highlight package up on YouTube??

probably relies on current pga tour media. so this gives them exclusive access to mold the content to be more traditional ;}

17 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Also makes me wonder if the YT guys will have to embargo their results until it gets online.

the tournament itself is in early may so we're lucky in that regard they could have embargoed it till tournament week;}

20 hours ago, toddbournes said:

There are a few pretty legit pros in this. Matt atkins and Scott Stevens will masacre Peter finch 

Matt Atkins is a Monday qualifier this week at the Mexico Open, so I expect him to embarrass several of the guys in this thing. I do love how the Bryan brothers orchestrated this thing and got their USC golf buds invites. Nice to have friends like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 503Mike said:

Matt Atkins is a Monday qualifier this week at the Mexico Open, so I expect him to embarrass several of the guys in this thing. I do love how the Bryan brothers orchestrated this thing and got their USC golf buds invites. Nice to have friends like that.

Yeah atkins and Stevens are sticks. Battle hardened grinders. A lot of these guys haven’t heard of them but they’re in a different league than the YouTube guys that struggle to shoot under par. These are guys that take it deep on the kft. It’ll be eye opening I think for the YouTube guys. 

9 hours ago, toddbournes said:

Yeah atkins and Stevens are sticks. Battle hardened grinders. A lot of these guys haven’t heard of them but they’re in a different league than the YouTube guys that struggle to shoot under par. These are guys that take it deep on the kft. It’ll be eye opening I think for the YouTube guys. 

Just a quick glance I think Peter Finch is probably the best one or two of the YT bunch - and he could get beat by 10-15 strokes.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

On 2/21/2024 at 1:33 PM, dcmidnight said:

I'm sure because it's a pga tour event they want to control the narrative. Not sure why it's a closed event. As someone who lives close I'd go over and watch. You would think they would want all the youtubers promoting this on their channels.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter