Opinions: YouTube golf creators to compete for spot in Myrtle Beach Classic

RSLP

2 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Ha! Okay good news. I'm sure it will be leaked well before that. (There really aren't many secrets left in this day and age.)

only way it gets leaked is if the pga tour or myrtle beach hire a 3rd party to edit the videos or do marketing. if they keep all the work in house dont expect a leak until a week before the event in may.

13 hours ago, jimecherry said:

only way it gets leaked is if the pga tour or myrtle beach hire a 3rd party to edit the videos or do marketing. if they keep all the work in house dont expect a leak until a week before the event in may.

Well, but I mean you've been to tourneys. Even if no fans are allowed in, there's all manner of random assorted people scattered all over the course. From tournament and course management/groundskeepers to caddies to all the film/sound people, down to even the staff at the bar and grill. Yes, you can try to get everyone on the course to sign an NDA, but there's likely to be at least a couple hundred people that will know who won, and the chances of all of them (and all the personal friends they talk to) keeping their mouths completely shut are really low.

I'm pretty certain we'll know within a day or two. 

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

1 hour ago, bobfoster said:

Well, but I mean you've been to tourneys. Even if no fans are allowed in, there's all manner of random assorted people scattered all over the course. From tournament and course management/groundskeepers to caddies to all the film/sound people, down to even the staff at the bar and grill. Yes, you can try to get everyone on the course to sign an NDA, but there's likely to be at least a couple hundred people that will know who won, and the chances of all of them (and all the personal friends they talk to) keeping their mouths completely shut are really low.

I'm pretty certain we'll know within a day or two. 

that would be true for a tournament with 70ish people in this case the tournament is only 16 people split across 5-6 groups. thats way more manageable and not all groups will have had cameras following them. and with no scores being posted on a board at the clubhouse. 

I also won't be surprised if it leaks but if only a couple of people know what any 1 card says...and not what any other cards say...

At my course nobody knows anything until they get the silly sharpie and scratch out the scores in that stupid font that only pro shop workers know. Is that part of the test to be a club pro?

As said aplenty already, very weird to stagger this all out over two months. They could have let each channel get their content together, released the primary video through the PGA pipelines, then allowed the others to do the same 24 hours after. 

Easily could have followed it all up with build up to the actual event, though starting all of this closer to game time would have likely been a better way to go. Going to be beneficial to everyone involved whatever the case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PedronNiall said:

As said aplenty already, very weird to stagger this all out over two months. They could have let each channel get their content together, released the primary video through the PGA pipelines, then allowed the others to do the same 24 hours after. 

Easily could have followed it all up with build up to the actual event, though starting all of this closer to game time would have likely been a better way to go. Going to be beneficial to everyone involved whatever the case. 

Its old meets new...old trying to be new. What do you expect.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

1 hour ago, PedronNiall said:

Agree - the build up could be the players prep for the tourney.   Missed opportunity 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 4:31 PM, SUPERG said:

Fat Perez can do no wrong  in my eyes, only one I see actually doing well would be Finch 

Fat Perez only hits it about 260, dude has a short game, but I don't think that makes up in being 40 yards behind the rest of the field.  As a fellow fat man tho, I love FP!

I have no real thoughts on this other than I think it will really show the gap between scratch golfers and elite golfers who can make a living on tour. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, Tumadre1337 said:

I also enjoy the occasional day dream.

Shame he's fully stuck in his head. Swing is relatively clean and he has a stupid level of support from all of his OEM sponsors. Almost couldn't write up a better set of circumstances to give someone a chance to take the pipeline from YouTube to the big show.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PedronNiall said:

Shame he's fully stuck in his head. Swing is relatively clean and he has a stupid level of support from all of his OEM sponsors. Almost couldn't write up a better set of circumstances to give someone a chance to take the pipeline from YouTube to the big show.

As an observer.

Effortless speed.  He’s likes to hit it far with his woods, and likes to think he hits his approach irons farther than  he does ( he calls it fear of going long, most call it picking the wrong club).

His short game is not what you would expect from a scratch golfer.

talent is there.  Likely has other goals in his life the take away from what it would take to make him a competitive amateur tourney golfer much less a professional golfer

I

10 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

As an observer.

Effortless speed.  He’s likes to hit it far with his woods, and likes to think he hits his approach irons farther than  he does ( he calls it fear of going long, most call it picking the wrong club).

His short game is not what you would expect from a scratch golfer.

talent is there.  Likely has other goals in his life the take away from what it would take to make him a competitive amateur tourney golfer much less a professional golfer

I

In the vid he did on his Axioms he was very much afraid of going all out on his irons. It may be that whatever he used to have couldn't hold up to his swing, which makes sense a bit given the long drive work he was doing for a while with Berkshire. For being the size he is and having so much power he is very tentative overall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

It's called skill and he doesn't have it, not even close. He can hit it far. That's it, nothing more. Go look at his actual tourney numbers. He couldn't win a club championship let alone be on any pro tour. For some reason everyone greatly overrates his game. He's a fraud.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

Realistically he'd have to stop content creation and just grind with a structured regimen for a bit to even have a shot. He's probably already come to that conclusion and is happy making more money than he would grinding out the kornferry.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

To me, the whole YouTube golf "influencer" industry (or whatever this industry is called) is just becoming a selfish experiment in self-gratification. 

I enjoyed it for short while, but came to realize that everything is about the individuals. It isn't really about the golf, the golf courses, the viewers - it's all just one big exercise in self-gratification for them (for the most part). I think Fore Play is the biggest example of this, and there's definitely a spectrum across golf content. 

But for the most part, they are just subsidizing their own personal golf fantasies through YouTube views. Good for them for capitalizing on this opportunity (free country, free-ish markets and all of that), but I am left wondering how much longer people are willing to participate in this effort of self-gratification. Maybe its forever. Good on them if they can make it work long term. 

Also, none of these people have any business being in a PGA tournament. Besides the KFT event winner, most of these individuals are going to embarrass themselves next to a PGA pro. But hey, that in itself could be really entertaining I guess. 

• Thanks 1

There are about 5 or 6 of the 16 that have a chance to make the cut if they were to win this "qualifier" and get in to the event.

George Bryan

Matt Atkins

Card III

Kwon

Stevens

The others - Busta, MM, GH, DR, NS, PF are just golfers that for some reason people watch on youtube.  Sure they are way better than a lot of golfers, and some of them I even like watching (Stubbe, Finch) but they do not have the games that will stack up against guys that actually play for a living.  I tried to play the Nike tour after college, doing monday qualifiers and if not making it through playing the Teardrop tour Tuesday - Thursday, I remember where my game was at this time that I only got into three Nike events in about two years, and it was far and away above these guys not in that first group of 5.

Now I am 48, have had three knee surgeries, a wrist surgery, four kids and a real job for 25 years and I am a 2-3 handicap that plays once a week and never practices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Chunkitgood said:

If they’re gonna go that route, IMO the exemptions should all be for the best looking women golfers, if they can find that many.

The question then becomes, would the people who watch YouTube influencers rather watch good looking women or their Youtube “bros.”

i'm guessing you dont actually watch youtube golf also if the pga tour is hoping the youtube audience will come over and watch some pga tour golf theyre in the wrong state of mind. the goal should be to help the pga tour's social media presence and nothing else.

Edited by jimecherry

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 5:40 AM, dcmidnight said:

It seems like such a huge miss for the Tour though. You could have these guys on their channels all talking about the event except now its going to be embargoed/blacked out for *7 weeks* until it comes out? Thats just dumb. Honestly 7 weeks from now, I may or may not care about this event at all.

Really good idea - really amateur execution.

Turns out "may not" is the correct response...

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Ironic that right after a 15 year old lefty makes a splash another 15 year old lefty is featured here. No idea if he'll do anything or not but he's started off nicely. These young guns need some chill. 

Pretty good games all around so far. 

Edit: I lied. Perez is letting his early mistake compound and getting down on himself. Morris has the worst game time technique I've ever seen for someone with that kind of time & resource investment. 

Edited by PedronNiall