Opinions: YouTube golf creators to compete for spot in Myrtle Beach Classic

RSLP

31 minutes ago, MrDC said:

I watched and FF a lot, it was really boring, but I find most YT golf boring.

I love the Ocean Course and follow Wes's career pretty closely so it seemed like maybe this would be a YouTube video worth watching. Had to bail after just a couple minutes. Just inane and dull, like all the rest of the YouTube golf genre. I seem to have used up my lifetime tolerance for that kind of stuff a few years back. 

The Myrtle Beach Classic YouTube Strategy

The Myrtle Beach Classic is leveraging YouTube to drive awareness to its inaugural PGA Tour event next week......

• Play Golf Myrtle Beach — 767,000 views

• Bob Does Sports — 406,000 views

• Grant Horvat Golf — 340,000 views

• Bryan Bros Golf — 176,000 views

• Peter Finch Golf — 167,000 views

• Luke Kwon Golf — 98,000 views

• BustaJack Golf — No video posted

• Fore Play Golf — No video posted

• Micah Morris — No video posted

Google search term Myrtle Beach Golf had a score of 73 last week — 21 points higher than the same week in 2023. 

4 hours ago, jimecherry said:

The Myrtle Beach Classic YouTube Strategy

The Myrtle Beach Classic is leveraging YouTube to drive awareness to its inaugural PGA Tour event next week......

• Play Golf Myrtle Beach — 767,000 views

• Bob Does Sports — 406,000 views

• Grant Horvat Golf — 340,000 views

• Bryan Bros Golf — 176,000 views

• Peter Finch Golf — 167,000 views

• Luke Kwon Golf — 98,000 views

• BustaJack Golf — No video posted

• Fore Play Golf — No video posted

• Micah Morris — No video posted

Google search term Myrtle Beach Golf had a score of 73 last week — 21 points higher than the same week in 2023. 

Dan Rapaport's video has 40,000 views. Scrappy round but his short game saved him a bunch of strokes.

Yep, a win for the MB tourism contingent, the YouTubers, and the Tour with the tournament/videos from it still to come. If they keep things staggered with YouTube affiliates in closed events and maybe two to three like this a year they can continue driving views to both sides and retain all ages of viewers interest in pro golf. 

26 minutes ago, PedronNiall said:

Yep, a win for the MB tourism contingent, the YouTubers, and the Tour with the tournament/videos from it still to come. If they keep things staggered with YouTube affiliates in closed events and maybe two to three like this a year they can continue driving views to both sides and retain all ages of viewers interest in pro golf. 

knowing the pga tour this will be the only event like this for the next 5 years then maybe theyll expand.

13 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

Matt Atkins, Scott Stevens and Jamie Wilson are professional golfers but most importantly NOT YouTube content creators. Yes, they have appeared on the Bryan Bros' channel, but that does not count.

It should be strictly at least be YT content creators only to participate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iBanesto said:

Matt Atkins, Scott Stevens and Jamie Wilson are professional golfers but most importantly NOT YouTube content creators. Yes, they have appeared on the Bryan Bros' channel, but that does not count.

It should be strictly at least be YT content creators only to participate.

If it was only YT content creators, they'd basically have George and Wesley and that would be close to it. I guess you could argue Kwon and maybe someone like Brad Dalke might have a shout, but none of the others are remotely good enough to be playing in a PGA Tour event.

• Like 4

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

23 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

If it was only YT content creators, they'd basically have George and Wesley and that would be close to it. I guess you could argue Kwon and maybe someone like Brad Dalke might have a shout, but none of the others are remotely good enough to be playing in a PGA Tour event.

thats not the point and if you think it is your outside of the target audience 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

Okay fair - but I think two points. One, the PGA Tour wouldn't have done it for only the not good enough players. Two, it would not be a particularly interesting contest if there's only one player who's good enough in the field. That player is going to win comfortably. If Atkins wasn't there and Watts wasn't there (he's not a youtuber either), the event would have been really dull, since George would have won it at a canter. As it was, the event was pretty boring, but that was a production issue, not a golf issue.

The other thing is if one of the youtubers had won (other than George), then at least that person did beat some good players to get in. Otherwise there would be a lot of people saying that the person didn't deserve a spot in a PGA Tour event (and I'd agree with them). 

• Like 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

9 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

Perhaps he should have said, "Not good enough to play in a PGA Tour event without looking like a total joke". 

At this point in history, I think both YouTube and the PGA Tour are so far up their own jacksies there's no distinction between people tuning in to see embarrassingly bad golf versus people tuning in to see good golf. Eyeballs are eyeballs, streams are streams, clicks are clicks. It's all about creating a narrative and cringe narratives sell nowadays, that's a fact. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Fairly off-topic, but Peter Finch has mentioned in his podcast that they (Finch Golf Media) have created and are hosting/running a smallish regional pro tour series in the UK.  Kinda hard to isolate the segments spread across various podcasts to give the full picture, but he just released a new episode of Quest for the Open where he discusses it some.  the middle 30 minutes goes over the round so you can skip it if you don't want to see him play golf.  But towards the end he goes over his stats, which is interesting.

Edited by subrew

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 2:40 PM, lopey986 said:

I'm gonna go out on the world's tiniest limb and say Micah probably doesn't even put a video out lol.

Micah's putting out a video every day for a month.  He was probably obligated to release a video for his participation in the qualifier.  He'll likely release it late on a Friday night. 

Edited by dwboston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

9 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

Okay fair - but I think two points. One, the PGA Tour wouldn't have done it for only the not good enough players. Two, it would not be a particularly interesting contest if there's only one player who's good enough in the field. That player is going to win comfortably. If Atkins wasn't there and Watts wasn't there (he's not a youtuber either), the event would have been really dull, since George would have won it at a canter. As it was, the event was pretty boring, but that was a production issue, not a golf issue.

The other thing is if one of the youtubers had won (other than George), then at least that person did beat some good players to get in. Otherwise there would be a lot of people saying that the person didn't deserve a spot in a PGA Tour event (and I'd agree with them). 

I think you’re absolutely spot on here. I don’t think the tour ever wanted or expected one of the YT golfers to win this. It all worked out for both the way it was designed. Gave a publicity boost to both the tour and the players. Ultimately a guy won that won’t embarrass himself or them in the event. And the best of the YT players got an exemption anyway. Win for all parties. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

End of the day it's just a mickey mouse event as all of of YT creators are not close to PGA Tour level.

George arguably is maybe just good enough to get a KFT card but probably wouldn't be able to keep it.

22 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

I agree somewhat. Grant Horvat is close to the caliber of a professional player (not PGA tour, but professional for sure). 

I'm curious on what the scores will be at the Dunes. I've played there quite a few times and from tee to green I've always found it to be quite forgiving. Now, once you get on the greens it can be a struggle. Not necessarily wonky and full of three putts, but definitely subtle reads. 

No idea the talent pool that will be out there, but I expect someone to go very low. 

I'm behind on responding to "The Q" with the YouTube content creators. Going in, my hot pick was George Bryan with Matt Akins right behind. 

Probably an unpopular opinion: not surprised Micah shot so high. I know he'd beat the breaks off me, but just seems like the guy shoots 68 or 88. 

9 minutes ago, caeye0710 said:

I'm curious on what the scores will be at the Dunes. I've played there quite a few times and from tee to green I've always found it to be quite forgiving. Now, once you get on the greens it can be a struggle. Not necessarily wonky and full of three putts, but definitely subtle reads. 

No idea the talent pool that will be out there, but I expect someone to go very low. 

I'm behind on responding to "The Q" with the YouTube content creators. Going in, my hot pick was George Bryan with Matt Akins right behind. 

Probably an unpopular opinion: not surprised Micah shot so high. I know he'd beat the breaks off me, but just seems like the guy shoots 68 or 88. 

George and Wesley just posted a 1v1 round there between the two of them. They both had a really tough time reading the greens. Never seen either of them putt as badly as they did round there. One putt Wesley is like it's breaking a little right, then a little left and then a little right again - nice little triple breaker. Then he starts it about a foot right and it just broke right the whole way - wound up 5 feet right from 25 feet away. 

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

1 minute ago, Ty_Webb said:

George and Wesley just posted a 1v1 round there between the two of them. They both had a really tough time reading the greens. Never seen either of them putt as badly as they did round there. One putt Wesley is like it's breaking a little right, then a little left and then a little right again - nice little triple breaker. Then he starts it about a foot right and it just broke right the whole way - wound up 5 feet right from 25 feet away. 

Yeah, I saw they posted that video but haven't gotten a chance to watch it. There are a few greens out there that will do that to you for sure. 

4 hours ago, caeye0710 said:

This place is going to play tough. It’s suppose to gust in the high teens low 20s each day. 

The rough isn’t too bad but for a lot of these greens you have to be in the fairway. 

I don’t foresee this going to a -23/-24 type week. -20 tops is my guess 

Great layout and conditions though. I’m pretty impressed with this for an opposite field event 

Just now, Creedo77 said:

This place is going to play tough. It’s suppose to gust in the high teens low 20s each day. 

The rough isn’t too bad but for a lot of these greens you have to be in the fairway. 

I don’t foresee this going to a -23/-24 type week. -20 tops is my guess 

Great layout and conditions though. I’m pretty impressed with this for an opposite field event 

That's a good point. Each time I've played it has been in perfect conditions with mild wind even for a coastal track.

Posted (edited)

Maybe this has been discussed but if Wesley qualified for the WF why would he play in the Myrtle beach event. Wouldn't he get more money and ranking points at the WF ? Seems like a good finish at the WF would possibly get him more starts at more tourneys.

Never mind. I see he didn't qualify for the WF.

Edited by CDLgolf

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter