2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

How to maintain mechanics through round when body is feeling fatigued...

Hey everyone, I recently faced a common challenge in golf that many of us can relate to – struggling to maintain consistency and focus throughout the entire round. During a recent round, I started strong with a +3 on the front 9, but things took a turn for the worse with a +10 on the back 9. This pattern of performing well in the beginning and then faltering towards the end is something I'm sure many of you have experienced.

I believe that maintaining proper posture, swing mechanics, and wrist conditions are crucial factors that can make or break our game as we progress through the round. It's easy for these aspects to deteriorate as fatigue sets in and concentration wavers.

So, I'm reaching out to all of you for advice and tips on how to stay focused and consistent throughout the entire round. What do you do mid-round to ensure that your posture, swing mechanics, and wrist conditions remain strong and steady? How do you maintain the same level of focus and performance in the back 9 as you do in the front 9?

I'm trying to get out of the average 80's round 10 HCP and trying to shoot constantly in the 70's, any input would be helpful!

Are you walking or in a cart? On the fatigue side, I would think (without being rude) if you are getting fatigued playing 18 holes WITH a cart, that is a fitness issue. On the concentration side, I try to limit my interaction with my phone (I used to turn it off but now I have kids so I have it in do not disturb and buried in my golf bag) and, this will sound odd, try to start less conversations with my playing partners....particularly on the back 9. 

If you have long waits due to slow play in front of you, I find this is the most challenging for maintaining concentration. For those, I try to have a "time out" where I will talk and hang out (again, stay away from your phone if possible) and then when it is my turn I have a conscious "time in" to prepare for my shot. 

• Like 3

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - FST 125 (S) -- auditioning Fujikura Axiom 130X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Can be really hard to do.  By the time you realize that you are doing things poorly, it might be several holes into the bad habits.  Then it hits you that your posture/setup is bad and you've already pooched your score.   Maybe have some sort of check list for setup that you do every few holes or so.  I used to have a note written on my driver head cover that I saw all the way down the fairway as I rolled my cart.  Not so effective if you ride most of the time.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

23 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

Are you walking or in a cart? On the fatigue side, I would think (without being rude) if you are getting fatigued playing 18 holes WITH a cart, that is a fitness issue. On the concentration side, I try to limit my interaction with my phone (I used to turn it off but now I have kids so I have it in do not disturb and buried in my golf bag) and, this will sound odd, try to start less conversations with my playing partners....particularly on the back 9. 

If you have long waits due to slow play in front of you, I find this is the most challenging for maintaining concentration. For those, I try to have a "time out" where I will talk and hang out (again, stay away from your phone if possible) and then when it is my turn I have a conscious "time in" to prepare for my shot. 

I'm a walker, I always come prepared with a full 40oz hydro flask, an uncrustable, and a pack of nuts. There is a possibility of lack of concentration, talking about random things with buddies versus staying in the game. It's kind of hard to pin point.

For me, the fatigue towards the end of a competitive round is mental and not physical. There's a ton of advice out there about the "think box" and "play box" and other techniques to deal with mental fatigue, but it all boils down to managing a finite resource, don't overthink the simple stuff. 

These podcasts were pretty enlightening for me:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-to-use-breathing-to-improve-your-performance-w/id1552917994?i=1000626652652

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/staying-present/id1281285953?i=1000619473767

If it's physical, maintain food and hydration through the round (eat something every 3-5 holes), if you're already snacking and drinking water enough and still bonking, it's conditioning...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rtojos said:

Hey everyone, I recently faced a common challenge in golf that many of us can relate to – struggling to maintain consistency and focus throughout the entire round. During a recent round, I started strong with a +3 on the front 9, but things took a turn for the worse with a +10 on the back 9. This pattern of performing well in the beginning and then faltering towards the end is something I'm sure many of you have experienced.

I believe that maintaining proper posture, swing mechanics, and wrist conditions are crucial factors that can make or break our game as we progress through the round. It's easy for these aspects to deteriorate as fatigue sets in and concentration wavers.

So, I'm reaching out to all of you for advice and tips on how to stay focused and consistent throughout the entire round. What do you do mid-round to ensure that your posture, swing mechanics, and wrist conditions remain strong and steady? How do you maintain the same level of focus and performance in the back 9 as you do in the front 9?

I'm trying to get out of the average 80's round 10 HCP and trying to shoot constantly in the 70's, any input would be helpful!

Sounds as though you're in need of extensive cardio work out, proper food and water. 

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

You might be purposely tiring yourself out with your setup by constantly thinking about it. Try this simple tasks out to show how much more effort is needed when we think: Do 5 to 10 pushups as normal, should be easy for most of us. Now do the same 5-10 reps but now think of every little thing like where you hands go spacing wise, hand position, wrist position, shoulders, back, feet, etc, think of everything you need to do to execute a pushup, after those reps you'll feel more worn out and maybe even elevated breathing. 

This could be happening to you on the course if you're standing over the ball worrying about, posture, placement, movement, etc and you're just tiring yourself out mentally and cannot recovery because of your own process. You need to eliminate that, and watch your energy be up at the end of the round. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

On a more equipment note, have you tried lighter shaft weights. 

For myself, having played fairly heavy shafts, with heavy swingweights, fairly high speed (mid 90s 6-iron), and poor

mechanics has led to me being shattered after 9 holes. Even while working out multiple times a week, and getting enough hydration and food during the round. 

• Like 1

[size=1][b]Driver[/b] Titleist 915D3 8.5* Veylix Rome Roughneck S, tipped 1''
[b]Spoon[/b] [/size][size=1]Cobra King LTD 13.5* UST Mamiya Chrome Elements S[/size]
[size=1][b]Hybrid[/b] Adams A2ts Aldila Voodoo SNV8 S
[b]Irons[/b] Epon AF-Tour 5 - PW KBS C-taper S
[b]GW[/b] Titleist SM6 52* K-grind
[b]SW[/b] Titleist SM6 oil can 58* V-grind
[b]Putter[/b] Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura[/size]

I push cart helps a lot compared to carrying a bag.  I can go 18 with a push cart.  I watch my energy level.  When I have to climb up a hill to reach a tee box I'll take a short rest to recover.

Going down hill can also take a lot of energy.

I work on consistency and avoid quick fixes.  Better to figure it out by the end of the round than to get into the rabbit hole of quick fixes.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

Properly hydrate with lots of busch light.  Make sure to grab a hot dog and chips at the turn so you've got fuel in the belly.

If you can squeeze it in time-wise, downing a double bloody mary before teeing off would be most ideal.  

Ok, on serious note, swing during the week so you'll gain endurance; eat bananas, nuts, granola (spread out throughout round), drink lots of water or sugar free gatorade drinks.  For best results, get 8+ hours of sober sleep the night before, eat something like avacado toast before the round (on top of the snacks during the round).  You'll be miserably shooting in the 70's in no time.  good luck buddy!

• Like 3

Excellent question. First, I presume you are talking about walking? (Really, if you are riding and still tire to the point that mechanics and focus suffers, you either have an illness or injury of some sort, or you need to seriously think about some lifestyle changes ... 😅.)

While golf sometimes doesn't look like a "real sport" to outsiders, it is a fairly healthy walk. Average US course on the scorecard is around  6800 yards long, about 3.9 miles. [Note that this is measuring from the tips - which you have to do - as you have to walk the entire distance of a course regardless of whether you walk past the tips to tee off from more forward tees.]

But that measures as the crow flies, tee straight to green. A great deal of additional distance is added because there's a lot of walking back and forth across fairways (no one hits every shot perfectly straight), all the steps looking for balls, walking around on the green, walking from green to next tee, and etc. So while the scorecard distance may be 3.9 miles, the actual average distance walked comes in at close to 6.6 miles - around 70% greater than the scorecard distance. Add to that carrying a 20+ lb. bag (or at least pushing it in a cart), and the physical exertion of swinging golf clubs, and you really do expend a pretty respectable amount of energy during a round of golf. 

While a normal, healthy adult should be able to walk six and a half miles without a lot of problem, I'd be willing to bet a not insignificant number of Americans actually couldn't. We kinda suck as a country, and are getting worse ... over 70%  the population is categorized as overweight, close to 40% are technically obese, and over 7% severely obese. There's a good chance you have more than one neighbor that gets winded just walking from the couch to the kitchen for their Corona and Doritos. 

I'd sort of repeat (and maybe emphasize) a couple of things others have mentioned. Drink water. Like, a lot of water. Most especially when temps start hitting 80 or above. This is just a general principle always. I think a lot of people walk around almost perpetually at least slightly dehydrated. Basic recommendation is that average adult male should drink about a half gallon of water a day (the "8 x 8" rule - 8 glasses of 8 ounces). With significant additional health benefits resulting from drinking even more than that. Surprisingly few people do that. And that is just considering normal daily activity - not carrying/pushing 20 lbs. for six and a half miles. Point is, it seems like such an insignificant thing, but golfers should be taking a few swigs of water on every hole, continuously, through a round. It can make a huge difference.

Second thing? Fuel. I remember an NYT article some years ago - a caloric study. During an 18 hole round, a walker can expect to burn around 1.400 calories. (Relatively speaking, that's a lot of calories - to put it in perspective, its about what you'd burn swimming, or pedaling a stationary bike for two hours.) You need fuel. But it has to be the right kind of fuel. If you make the turn and chow down on a sub with a huge bun, or a hamburger and a big pile of fries or chips, it not only won't help much, it can actually cost you energy (not uncommon to see golfers chow down big at the turn, and getting a little lethargic by the 11th or 12th - there's a reason why so many people take naps after Thanksgiving dinner). Watch the pros - most virtually never eat any large amount at one time during a round, but many will nibble at least a little bit every few holes ... and it is generally things like energy bars, or fruit, or trail mix. 

If your body is starting to run out of steam by halfway through the back nine, it is likely because your are asking it to do things, and simply aren't giving it sufficient levels of the fuel and hydration it requires to do them. The body is largely a machine. Any requested output will demand suitably commensurate inputs. If it doesn't get it, your mind will have a harder time focusing, and your body a harder time swinging. It is not physiologically possible for any other outcome to ensue.

Just my $0.02.

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Love all the responses, thank you so helpful. What about in terms of your swing breaking down mid round? In the beginning all your feels are fresh, they feel good. Later on in the round, my swing gets fast from the top, I feel as though I don't fully complete my back swing, my grip gets weaker. How do guys adapt?

Water and bananas (at least three if you're walking.)

One swing thought prior to beginning the swing (stance, grip, posture...) and no more than one swing thought once the swing begins (wrist hinge, weight shift, hip turn....)

More than one swing thought during the swing is a killer.  

And if the sole of your putter doesn't rest flat on the ground at address, get your putter adjusted so it does.  Toe up, toe down is no good.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Burner Superfast fwy 15* 

Taylormade Burner Tour fwy 18*

Adams Prototype hybrid 20*

PXG Gen3 0311XF 5/GW

Cleveland 588 56* & 60*, Putter Yes! Marilyn 

3 hours ago, Rtojos said:

Love all the responses, thank you so helpful. What about in terms of your swing breaking down mid round? In the beginning all your feels are fresh, they feel good. Later on in the round, my swing gets fast from the top, I feel as though I don't fully complete my back swing, my grip gets weaker. How do guys adapt?

Intent matters, are you unable to see it in real time and only know that the grip goes weak and you rush transition in hindsight? Are you trying to get it over with?

Pre-shot routine, from grip to alignment to shot shape matters, develop it and stay with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Long_Left said:

Intent matters, are you unable to see it in real time and only know that the grip goes weak and you rush transition in hindsight? Are you trying to get it over with?

Pre-shot routine, from grip to alignment to shot shape matters, develop it and stay with it.

This^^^. In spades. It is everything

Consider a "golf shot" to be a quanta, a unit of measurement, and consider what that is. To pros (and virtually all good amateurs I know) a "golf shot" is not merely the swing itself, it is an entire process that starts the minute you've selected the club, and ends with the follow through. Almost all decent golfers have a sort of rhythm to the entire process, and it stays the same (though it is very unique to every individual). 

Example: Stand behind the ball and take a glance at the ball and flag. Take a practice swing (or two, or three, or whatever depending upon the golfer). Stand square behind the ball. Visualize the ball flight you want. Step up, feet together, to address the ball perpendicular to the line, and set the feet to the desired flight. Move front foot forward then back foot backwards (to the amount required by the club, depending on whether the ball needs to be more forward or middle of the stance). Open the front foot or drop the back foot back (i.e., open or close the stance), weaken or strengthen the grip depending on whether you want to fade or draw. Do a waggle. Or a couple waggles. Tighten, loosen, tighten on grip (one or more times).

[Parenthetically, if you are a Keegan Bradley or Cantlay or folks like that, you can take this opportunity to get all OCD and fidget around insanely to drive fans nutso-cuckoo with the  frustration of "just hit the damn ball". Or if you want to get really crazy, you can go full-on-Furyk, and back off every putt three times 😂.]

Breathe out (or something). Set for a second. Or two seconds. Use a backswing "trigger" (varies widely by golfer, some start with a slight forward press with the hands, a tiny shift with the hips, or etc.). Complete the backswing, and then use a downswing trigger (also varies widely by golfer - some almost pause for a split second at the top, others want fluid ... hips start moving forward and uncoiling while the shoulders are still completing the backswing - watch Collin Morikawa next to Bryson, totally different swing philosophies, but both identical every time). 

Point is, the ultimate goal in golf is consistency. And consistent shots come from the entire shot - from pre-shot routine to follow though - being consistent (not just the swing). Whatever you do, you should try to do it every time. Like, start a metronome ticking in your head the moment you step up to the ball. 

Want to see perfection in this? Watch a video of Tiger putting in his first Masters win - 1997. Watch him putting in his last Master's win - 2019. Over two decades, and it is virtually identical (it is really something to behold). Does a lot of looking and thinking before the shot, but then gets mentally set with what he wants to do (he says he "putts to a picture in his head"). Steps up to the ball. Exactly two practice swings, of exactly the length of backswing/follow through for the line and speed of the visualized putt. Addresses the ball. Looks at the hole. Looks down and firmly sets his feet. Looks at the hole one more time, then looks down at the ball for all of a second, and putts. It is exactly the same routine, the same rhythm, the same pace on every putt. Never varies. Never speeds up, or slows down. Doesn't matter whether it is a meaningless silly season charity event with his kid, or standing over that long, critical putt on 18 on Sunday in the 2008 US Open (when he had to drain a 12 foot putt on a fast green to force a playoff - with the immense pressure of a major on the line). That routine that is so precise you could almost set your watch by it is what takes all the extraneous pressure and swing thoughts out of the equation. He becomes a robot. It is not a "putt with the US Open at stake", it is just another 12 foot putt that he's already drained a thousand times in practice. That is what a routine gives you. 

If you are finding inconsistency in rushing from the top, not completing your backswing, or a weakening grip, I'd be willing to bet that your pre-shot routine has also become inconsistent - possibly really inconsistent. (Presuming, of course that you have a relatively consistent pre-shot routine - if not, start working on that, like, tomorrow.) You should always do at least one (or more) practice swings. But not just casual, unfocused swings. Practice swings that exactly mimic the shot you are looking at hitting. Same grip, same backswing, same transition, same pace. Your actual swing should always be your second (or third or more) swing - simply almost an identical afterthought to the practice swing(s). This is absolutely the norm on Tour - you'll commonly hear things like announcers watching practice swings, and saying "he's clearly setting up to hit a high cut to hold it against the wind" or something. Pros don't just do "random" practice swings, they are being precise (as Army snipers say, "aim small, miss small"). They are invoking embedded muscle memory - telling the body exactly what swing it needs to produce to achieve the visualized shot. 

Ha! Sorry guys, getting late at night, too much coffee today. Rambling on and on to burn off energy and get to sleep 😂. Still, maybe worth a read.

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Great question, and many fine answers (thanks all). And since the OP has already gotten good and useful feedback, I thought it safe to highlight a completely different approach. It comes from the great jazz saxophonists Zoot Sims. He drank, a lot. And even his closest musical friends and compatriots who respected him highly and marveled at his always swinging and melodic and clean-lined improvisations noted with some concern that on the bandstand, night after night and year after year, he drank constantly -- that he was, in short, drunk all the time. One night one of his bandmates finally asked him: "Zoot - I mean, you're always drinking. How do you manage to play so well when you're drunk?"  And very calmly and with barely a smile, Zoot answered "It's because I *practice* drunk". 

All of which to say, sometimes I've wondered whether it might not be better to only go to the range when I'm feeling tired and run down, and then take whatever swing I seem to have then, while practicing when I'm tired, to the first tee of an actual round, and in essence *start* the round as if I was *already* tired! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Long_Left said:

This is a solid key.  Even then, it can sometimes be hard, during the heat of a round, to identify that address or posture has gone awry.  It seems easy to say that you should be able to correct it, but the reality is that unless you have a caddie (or a buddy who is willing to get in your face) to tell you that X is happening and you need to stop doing that, it is hard to realize it in the heat of the moment.  As I said before, by the time you figure it out, your score might be screwed.

Best way is to have a solid pre-shot routine.  Even then we as humans, cheat on the routine so easily. 

Then we go out and buy a new set of irons or a new driver because that is most certainly the cure.

• Like 2

Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
MCC Align Midsize

I found that 7 through 12-13 have always been my weakest holes from a swing perspective. Force food on hole 4 changed that. I just down something when I'm not hungry and my scores improved mid round. I was always snacking on the turn and so by hole 12 back to normal. Electrolytes help as well if you are not a big breakfast person.

For golf you only have to focus for about 10 seconds at a time. If you are of normal physical ability your swing should not break down on the back nine. It is probably more mental, I would suggest never adding up your front 9 score. That activity can have negative effects on your brain.

I coach HS golf for girls and teenage girls can get very emotional/worn down, they have to be forced to eat and we can easily see the difference on the scorecards.

We have a practice round each year where the kids who wins is the one who eats the most food over 9 holes. It is pretty hilarious what they end up carrying, but it helps drive the point of the importance of caloric burn with mental/physical stress over a long period. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Socrates said:

This is a solid key.  Even then, it can sometimes be hard, during the heat of a round, to identify that address or posture has gone awry.  It seems easy to say that you should be able to correct it, but the reality is that unless you have a caddie (or a buddy who is willing to get in your face) to tell you that X is happening and you need to stop doing that, it is hard to realize it in the heat of the moment.  As I said before, by the time you figure it out, your score might be screwed.

Best way is to have a solid pre-shot routine.  Even then we as humans, cheat on the routine so easily. 

Then we go out and buy a new set of irons or a new driver because that is most certainly the cure.

If you asked 100 random avid golfers, I'd wager that 70 or so would tell you they have a pre-shot routine, I'd also wager that less than 20 of those could actually tell you the sequence of events in their PSR. 

A PSR is not the quirky things we all do while settling over a shot to get comfortable. It's the movements we make intentionally. 

Mine lasts less than 10-12 seconds but it hits on alignment, posture, face angle and tempo. From the moment I pick my intermediate target, everything I do has a purpose. Top hand grip while finding my intermediate target behind the ball, club down aligned to intermediate target, back foot, front foot "in tempo" to my tempo app (playing in my head, not actually in use,) stand up and turn torso to get the target in my head and to stay "tall" as I settle back in, one move to P2 to feel connected takeaway and in control of the clubface, go. 

Step in, target look, waggle, go is what my playing partners see but I'm checkpointing myself that whole time. I still make rushed swings, or fail to keep the club square (hence the username,) or a dozen other things at times. But it typically only takes one failure to bring me right back to attention, unless it's a buddy game with a few beverages, fire away.

On a recent trip with my buddy, who drifts farther and farther right in his alignment during a round, and who I beat 1 up on 18 for our annual trophy, was dumbfounded over a few glasses later that day when I walked thru what I felt like I accomplished during my routine. He's a "feel player" and a big "swing your swing" guy and I'm the OCD, overly technical one. I took video of the whole gang hitting on the 16th tee to document the trip and to show him he was aimed 40 yards right of his target, it wasn't unsolicited advice, he asked me if I knew why he "flared" shots more later in his round. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Long_Left said:

If you asked 100 random avid golfers, I'd wager that 70 or so would tell you they have a pre-shot routine, I'd also wager that less than 20 of those could actually tell you the sequence of events in their PSR. 

I'd bet the number is far lower than 70.  Many people do the same thing over and over, but they have no idea or purpose behind it.

• Like 1

Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Good protein and hydration before your round will help keep your mind sharp. At the turn snack on a protein bar or shake... obviously avoiding any tequila shots or toking as well.. 🤣
Stay away from caffeine and sugar prior to your round... last but not least, vigorous daily exercise to help build your stamina.

• Like 1

Titleist....

2 hours ago, Long_Left said:

A PSR is not the quirky things we all do while settling over a shot to get comfortable. It's the movements we make intentionally. 

Mine lasts less than 10-12 seconds but it hits on alignment, posture, face angle and tempo. From the moment I pick my intermediate target, everything I do has a purpose. Top hand grip while finding my intermediate target behind the ball, club down aligned to intermediate target, back foot, front foot "in tempo" to my tempo app (playing in my head, not actually in use,) stand up and turn torso to get the target in my head and to stay "tall" as I settle back in, one move to P2 to feel connected takeaway and in control of the clubface, go. 

Step in, target look, waggle, go is what my playing partners see but I'm checkpointing myself that whole time. I still make rushed swings, or fail to keep the club square (hence the username,) or a dozen other things at times. But it typically only takes one failure to bring me right back to attention, unless it's a buddy game with a few beverages, fire away.

On a recent trip with my buddy, who drifts farther and farther right in his alignment during a round, and who I beat 1 up on 18 for our annual trophy, was dumbfounded over a few glasses later that day when I walked thru what I felt like I accomplished during my routine. He's a "feel player" and a big "swing your swing" guy and I'm the OCD, overly technical one. I took video of the whole gang hitting on the 16th tee to document the trip and to show him he was aimed 40 yards right of his target, it wasn't unsolicited advice, he asked me if I knew why he "flared" shots more later in his round. 

To come to think about it, I think my pre-shot routine gets slightly non-existent in the back, I could be rushing to get the swing over with versus really taking the time like i do in the beginning and go through my PSR, i'll make sure to be mindful of that next round 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RmoorePE said:

I found that 7 through 12-13 have always been my weakest holes from a swing perspective. Force food on hole 4 changed that. I just down something when I'm not hungry and my scores improved mid round. I was always snacking on the turn and so by hole 12 back to normal. Electrolytes help as well if you are not a big breakfast person.

For golf you only have to focus for about 10 seconds at a time. If you are of normal physical ability your swing should not break down on the back nine. It is probably more mental, I would suggest never adding up your front 9 score. That activity can have negative effects on your brain.

I coach HS golf for girls and teenage girls can get very emotional/worn down, they have to be forced to eat and we can easily see the difference on the scorecards.

We have a practice round each year where the kids who wins is the one who eats the most food over 9 holes. It is pretty hilarious what they end up carrying, but it helps drive the point of the importance of caloric burn with mental/physical stress over a long period. 

Ill have to try to eat on 4, versus 10 and see if it makes an impact. Thank you!

I had a similar situation on Saturday. First 18 outdoors in several months, and I was not in the most ideal shape physically. Had some company over the previous night and drinks were consumed. I didn't really  have  a breakfast either, and I was sore from hitting too many balls the day before. 

My body gave out hard and I swung the club like crap from the 11th fairway on it. No power, no swing bottom, etc.

Eating better, drinking a bit less, and exercising more are always the correct answers. I did have the realization that it's time to embrace a little bit of help in my equipment as I start to crest into my 40's . I've been looking at lighter iron shafts, adding a hybrid, and possibly some iron heads with a little more heat in them. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Recommend checking out some of the newer electrolyte mixes available. Might be good to try in general, but great to have a few for hot days or times you let your hydration get away from you as they can be mixed in any bottle and will get you level quickly. 

Also save you from carrying an additional bottle of Gatorade, etc., the whole round.