2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping I530

JTD0314

1 hour ago, T626G said:

Also ordered 5-u. Going to play 54.10s and 60.04m for now. I thought i read on the ping website the regular loft on p was 42.5, u was 47, so i keeping my 60, decided to do away with 56, and switch to the 54.  I’m not the greatest golfer in the world tho so take it for afar it’s worth. 

I’m thinking with my setup having the U bent to 48 would break up my gaps pretty evenly. I’m just going off memory from a few days ago so i could be wrong on the stock lofts. 

The PW is 42 and the UW is 47. Seems pretty easy to go 52, 58 from there.

• Like 3

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

5 hours ago, eric61 said:

I probably would have if i hadn’t just bought my 60 recently so it was just easier for me to swap my 56 for a 54 which is what the vokey tool recommended for me if i wanted to keep the 60. With my dicks rewards points from buying the irons and driver the sm10 vokey was free. So really just came down to doing it as cost effective as I could right now. 

but ya i do agree going 52/58 if ur buying all new wedges with this set. 

19 hours ago, T626G said:

they told me a dicks about 2 weeks but I’m finding that hard to believe.

I ordered i230s last year after a fitting and they arrived back to my fitter in a week. As long as the heads aren't on backorder and PING has your shafts in stock, they pump out clubs pretty dang quick. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eric61 said:

This is what I did.

Off topic: The S159's are insanely good. Can't say enough good things about them. Get grinds that work for the player and I am confident they will be happy.

• Like 3
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

19 minutes ago, T626G said:

I just got notification from fedex that ping has shipped my irons, ordered 4/25 due to arrive at my house this Friday May 3rd!! In 2 days!! 

Excited

Nice! Make sure to post some updates once you’ve hit them a bit! Very curious to see how these perform for folks.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2024 at 5:37 PM, Ripken08 said:

Ordered mine Monday, 1* weak with Alta CB R shafts.  The wait begins!

I bet they come sooner than expected! Mine sure are

I’m also playing 1* weak and will let you know tomorrow how they feel on the sim! Leaving work as soon as they’re delivered lol

1 hour ago, ob1soccer said:

anyone compare i530 to i230?

I can't, but I can honestly say that I am extremely happy with these clubs. They feel great, sound amazing and look even better. 

I'm fit in stiff with my ss but fitter recommended dropping down to the dg 100 mid reg flex for better height, spin while only giving up a little distance and I'm very pleased that I did.

I was starting to get tired after my 7i and you can really tell from my club averages pictured.  This is just my first few swings with them and it's 82 and muggy here so I was dripping sweat on my setup but so far I'm very pleased. Took too many warm ups with the wedges.

I went with regular loft 1* flat even tho my WTF specs me at +2 upright. Upright has just never worked for me with my swing. 

These are by no means what my final average gaps will be but this is all the data I have right now. Even on my mishits they were a rocket. Ended up getting rid of my left misses and have developed a little fade which I'm really happy with! 

I couldn't be happier in case you guys couldn't tell 🤣

Now to get them out to the course. 

IMG_7395.jpeg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, T626G said:

I can't, but I can honestly say that I am extremely happy with these clubs. They feel great, sound amazing and look even better. 

I'm fit in stiff with my ss but fitter recommended dropping down to the dg 100 mid reg flex for better height, spin while only giving up a little distance and I'm very pleased that I did.

I was starting to get tired after my 7i and you can really tell from my club averages pictured.  This is just my first few swings with them and it's 82 and muggy here so I was dripping sweat on my setup but so far I'm very pleased. Took too many warm ups with the wedges.

I went with regular loft 1* flat even tho my WTF specs me at +2 upright. Upright has just never worked for me with my swing. 

These are by no means what my final average gaps will be but this is all the data I have right now. Even on my mishits they were a rocket. Ended up getting rid of my left misses and have developed a little fade which I'm really happy with! 

I couldn't be happier in case you guys couldn't tell 🤣

Now to get them out to the course. 

IMG_7395.jpeg

looks great and best of luck. Not used to hearing of a happy and content golfer on golfwrx so this is very strange for me. Typically they are going to demo something else tomorrow

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

On 4/10/2024 at 9:52 AM, teedub21 said:

Ordered mine in standard loft and I probably swing a 7 iron high 70’s.  Even with what looks ridiculously strong lofted on paper they still fly high, drop and stop with all but the thinnest of strikes.  Played the front 9 at my club last night all irons and got away with some really terrible strikes that still ended up on or very near the green.  

What's the longest i530 iron are you playing ? I'm in i230s and wouldn't mind adding 4/5i to them as we have very similar speeds 

8 hours ago, BlkNGld said:

Give him some time, he's only 50 posts in 😉

Yeah i guess when i started I was happy with my game and wasnt looking for new shafts non stop. Anyone with this many posts has serious issues and should seek help immediately

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

On 5/6/2024 at 4:08 PM, ob1soccer said:

Not exactly, but I played i210 for about 5 years before moving into i525 last year.  I know those are bother the previous sets of clubs, but in standard lofts for both, I am now a full club longer with the i525.  My contact is much more consistent and I would not go back, personally.  I had DG 105’s in my i210 and now the PX IO in my i525.  I’m playing the i525 in 4-P and also play a 50 GW and a 56 SW.  I no longer play a lob as I can do what I need with just the 56.

FWIW, I’m a high 8 handicap.

Titleist TSi3 D (10.0*) HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60

Titleist TSi2 F (16.5*) Tensei AV Raw Blue 65

Titleist TSi2 H (21.0*) Tensei AV Raw Blue 65

PING i525 Irons (4-PW) Project X IO 105

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50*) DG Spinner
Cleveland RTX Full Face (56*) DG Spinner
Bettinardi BB-8 Wide (SuperStroke 1.0)

On 4/28/2024 at 11:34 PM, Ranman said:

I’m curious on what wedge setup people are using. I ordered 5-U and I plan to add s159 50 bent to 51 soon. I have only played 9 with them and I love the U. 

Mine are below. Could easily drop the 56 as the distance gap with 52 is under ten metres. 

But the 52 gaps well with UW.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 - Accra FX 3.0 100 Series 40g M3
Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping s159 52 S/12, 56 S/12 + 60 H/8
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

On 5/7/2024 at 6:08 AM, ob1soccer said:

I ordered 4,5,6 in i530's and then blended them into i230's 7-PW.

I moved the lofts in the 230's to 7 iron @ 30.5, 8 iron @ 34.5, 9 iron @ 39, PW @ 43, so its a smoother transition of lofts into the i530's in std spec with the 6 iron @ 25.5. 

Very happy with how they gap. I was using a T200 6 iron and 425 4 and 5 iron.

After 4 lengthly range sessions and 5 rounds I'm loving the 530 6 iron it blends seamlessly into the 230 7 iron. 

The 4 and 5 iron I'm still undecided. the loft of the 4 iron @ 19 is too strong I think (retro @ 20 would be better) so I will bend it this week. The 5 iron I can handle ok. But I will say this: they are not as forgiving as the 425's and I dare say they are not as forgiving as the 230's.

This week I'm keeping the 4 and 6 iron in the 530's and putting in the 425 5 iron. I might move the 530 5 iron to 23° and see how it goes.

So my thoughts in summary- certainly long but not as forgiving as I hoped or expected.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 10:31 AM, BlkNGld said:

Give him some time, he's only 50 posts in 😉

That’s a big negative! I played for the first time Sunday with the clubs and while the fromt 9 was pretty rough just getting use to them but the turn i started to finally settle in. I had a few 170 yard 9i bombs stick center green. Never in my life hit irons so far. Ball flight , height, spin were really on point for me. 

My biggest challenge is going to be getting use to these new distances because they are such an upgrade to my Ap2’s. And really figuring out my yardages for each club. 

They seemed very forgiving, love the UW too, it filled a very nice gap i had in my bag. 

I seriously couldn’t be more happy with these irons. They’re absolutely perfect for me. I can’t say enough good things about them. They look great, cut through the turf like butter. feel and sound great when you make solid contact. 

For my game i don’t think i could have found a better set of irons at the moment. Really feel like ping did a great job on these

edit: I’m also coming from a 13 year old set of irons so really anything new is going to feel better to me so take it with a grain of salt

Edited by T626G
  • Like 1

I really wanted to love these irons.  The fee/sound off turf is way better than the range mats.  The distance is fun and helpful since I'm not a long hitter of the ball.  My problem is that distance comes at the cost of low spin.  My first few rounds I was long on almost every hole which at my club is bad, and not common for me to be long either.  Final straw was last week I had a 140 shot from the fairway.  Hit a beautiful 9 iron (140 for me is a huge 9 iron).  High flight, right at the pin that was in the middle of a deep green.  Ball mark 2 feet short of the pin right on line, ball ran all the way off the back into the first cut.  If I can't stop a 9 iron on the green (our greens are firm and very fast) these irons just wont work for me.  

Unfortunately they'll be heading back to 2nd Swing on their 60 day guarantee.  

17 hours ago, teedub21 said:

I really wanted to love these irons.  The fee/sound off turf is way better than the range mats.  The distance is fun and helpful since I'm not a long hitter of the ball.  My problem is that distance comes at the cost of low spin.  My first few rounds I was long on almost every hole which at my club is bad, and not common for me to be long either.  Final straw was last week I had a 140 shot from the fairway.  Hit a beautiful 9 iron (140 for me is a huge 9 iron).  High flight, right at the pin that was in the middle of a deep green.  Ball mark 2 feet short of the pin right on line, ball ran all the way off the back into the first cut.  If I can't stop a 9 iron on the green (our greens are firm and very fast) these irons just wont work for me.  

Unfortunately they'll be heading back to 2nd Swing on their 60 day guarantee.  

What i did to give myself some better spin and height was drop down one flex level on my shafts which made a huge difference for me. So instead of playing stiff i went to regular flex. And then i also had them bent a little flatter than my ap2’s were. 

i think at some point im going to need some of the clubs lofts changed. I probably should’ve went with the retro loft but i think just tweaking a few of the clubs will end up being best for me overall. Going to give it several more rounds before I consider which clubs i want to adjust loft on. 

3 minutes ago, T626G said:

What i did to give myself some better spin and height was drop down one flex level on my shafts which made a huge difference for me. So instead of playing stiff i went to regular flex. And then i also had them bent a little flatter than my ap2’s were. 

i think at some point im going to need some of the clubs lofts changed. I probably should’ve went with the retro loft but i think just tweaking a few of the clubs will end up being best for me overall. Going to give it several more rounds before I consider which clubs i want to adjust loft on. 

I went with the stock graphite shafts in stiff flex and one degree flat.

I spent some time hitting the i530 7 iron on a Trackman again today -- DG 115 Mid S300 shafts, Pro V1X RCT balls. 

I found that the ball you're using with these makes a big, big difference. Last time I demoed these, I think I was hitting a Pro V1. Today, I was seeing several hundred more RPMs -- enough to take these from unplayable into playable territory. 

Swinging 84 mph (-4ish attack angle, 19ish dynamic loft, slightly out to in with the face about a degree open to path), I was seeing 122-123 ball speeds, 15 degree launch angle, 4900-5300 RPMs, high 80s-low 90s peak height and a 45 degree landing angle. Carry was high 170s to 180. 

I'm currently playing i230s, and the main thing with the i530s is just to keep in mind that the numbers I see with that 7 iron today were almost identical to my i230 6 iron numbers. A touch more height out of the i530s was the biggest difference. That, and the i530s are more forgiving. 

I do think the i530s sound and feel nice. You'll never confuse them with a fully forged iron, but they feel nice and much better than i525s. Off center, they do get loud and clangy. But the performance on those clangy off-center strikes is pretty remarkable. 

I have my fingers crossed for the GolfWRX i530 testing, but I'm going to be thinking about these a lot... they're really tempting because the strong lofts don't bother me. The wedge lofts are 42 PW, 47 UW. I want to play a 47/52/58 wedge set-up anyway, and I don't really care what's on the bottom of the club/if my 47 is labeled a W or a U. Plus, I've been playing a 5 hybrid lately. At 25 degrees, it should gap just fine to a 25.5 degree 6 iron.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tdeutmeyer said:

Is the heel/toe length on the i530 heads about the same size as the i525?  Ping describes them as "compact blade" which is also the same description as the Blueprint S, so are they that small?  I currently play the Blueprint S.

Yeah it’s about the same as i525. Definitely nothing like a Blueprint.

• Like 2

Played these today. Not to my spec, but hit some good shots that got some very good results. Feel more powerful and easier to hit that my PXG's. Maybe not as good feeling. 

I think with Steelfiber 95's these could be lethal. 

What I really want though, is a club as hot as these and my PXG's but with a thinner sole. I've not found anything in a smaller head than these that gives me the distance I need. 

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX