2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Low spin best feeling driver shaft?

tsecor

Looking to test a low spin, great feeling driver shaft that helps with a lower trajectory.....any suggestions? 

I am headed to a PGA store fitting and I really dont think fitting can really help a 12 hdcp player but im willing to give it a shot again....

The only thing that concerns me is this video about shaft testing......i tend to agree the head makes all the difference and not the shaft......but we'll see....i dont think the shaft is the "engine" of the swing

i just want a shaft that feels good and is not whippy or boardy....something right in the middle....that is smooth but launches low. with low spin

Does the shaft matter?

Fittings are good for everyone and probably even more so for the double digit handicap.

especially when finding a reputable fitter

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2018/04/16/debunking-myths-why-club-fitting-benefits-all-golfers/

https://golf.com/gear/i-got-my-clubs-fit-for-the-first-time-ever-heres-what-i-learned-and-how-it-helped-my-game/?amp=1

Can even go back and watch older TXG videos they did for mid and high handicap fittings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doctor220 said:

Can you lower the traj by the head and then just play a shaft that you like how it feels ? Such as having less loft or a lower launching and spinning head ? 

This is what I did - kept the Kai’li blue shaft that came with the Aerojet but went to the Aerojet LS head. Brought my spin down to where I was happy. The blue felt so much better than the white that the LS came with. 

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver Kai'li Blue S

Callaway Apex UW 3 MMT 80s

TaylorMade Gapr Mid 3 KBS S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide

Shaft feel is too subjective and based on a ton of personal factors... with that said, start with the Ventus blue profile, it's hugely popular with a wide range of skills, less so with their spouses and wallets. If it feels "too responsive/smooth" try the black, TR black, or TR blue. 

Every shaft on the planet can be low launch and spin, the question is which ones allow you to be comfortable delivering the club with the proper orientation to achieve that. 

When I get "handsy" with my driver I go back to a 75g EvenFlow T1100 white, it feels very smooth to my hands/brain and launches and spins similar to my gamer Tensei AV white 65, feels completely different, I feel like I can overpower it where the Tensei I can go all out and I barely feel it load.

• Like 2

Just pure from a shaft perspective, I would recommend the modern GD shafts.  VF, UB, HD for starters being that they're low spin and mid-low launch and super smooth.  1K Pro Orange/Pro White are also good options.  I wouldn't call any of Ventus shaft smooth but they're top notch performance wise.  TR Black/TR Blue would be my recommendations as they don't feel dead and have some feel to them. 

• Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 4/9/2024 at 11:08 AM, MattM97 said:

Lots of contradiction in your post. 

Shafts don't create spin, the head, ball and delivery do. Shaft is a timing device, can't time the head can't get consistent results. 

Fittings work for everyone even 12 handicaps, plus it's cheaper than buying 5 shafts to try. 

What's you're swing speed and current shaft? Something that could feels good to you could be a wet noodle to myself or others or feel like a board. 

I consistently am around 105-107 SS, I play an older HAZARDOUS BLACK. its very stiff and feels boardy. It helps me keep the ball straight and somewhat low launching but my distance is not great.....around 245-260   

On 4/9/2024 at 5:10 PM, phizzy30 said:

Just pure from a shaft perspective, I would recommend the modern GD shafts.  VF, UB, HD for starters being that they're low spin and mid-low launch and super smooth.  1K Pro Orange/Pro White are also good options.  I wouldn't call any of Ventus shaft smooth but they're top notch performance wise.  TR Black/TR Blue would be my recommendations as they don't feel dead and have some feel to them. 

i see the GD shafts getting a LOT of great press.....cant tell if the "influencers" are just trying to sell these or they really are great performers.....i never trust the monitors they use.....last time i was at the PGA store it kept saying i was hitting my drives 310-325 total......i am NEVER that long on the course......

17 minutes ago, tsecor said:

I consistently am around 105-107 SS, I play an older HAZARDOUS BLACK. its very stiff and feels boardy. It helps me keep the ball straight and somewhat low launching but my distance is not great.....around 245-260   

The older Hzrdus Black are definitely stiffer/boardy feeling shaft. As for your numbers that's probably right for that swing speed unless your delivery and impact is absolutely optimal.

It also depends on the head your playing, the spin you're getting, ball, etc. Lots of factors, also what we hit in simulators doesn't always translate to the course for a lot of people. I know that too well myself. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

31 minutes ago, tsecor said:

i see the GD shafts getting a LOT of great press

GD shafts do feel smooth for sure. Performance is really up to if it fits your swing which would be for any shaft tbh.

Also I believe that terminology of low spin is misconstrued and just a marketing ploy from manufacturers. If you give me a lighter regular flex low spin shaft, I will present more dynamic loft at impact and I will definitely make it a high spin shaft lol.

There are launch propensities for sure from the profile makeup but should just get the right weight and flex and see what feels good. Try a GD shaft like an IZ to start and see how it feels then go from there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tsecor said:

As you probably know, there are 4 generations of Hzrdus Blacks. Yours is the most “boardy”. Either the Smoke or Gen4 are likely to serve you very well. I’m at ~100mph and the Smoke 6.0 feels superb.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

Smoothest lo-lo I've hit by far is the KBS TD, and I've been on a driver shaft quest for years. Wants to turn over for me, which is better in a fairway. YMMV.

Taylormade R7 Quad TP 8.5* w/ Aldila Rogue SIlver 125msi 70TX

Titleist 915Fd 13.5* w/ ACCRA FX 470 M5+

Titleist TS2 17* hybrid w/ Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 95X

Titleist U500 20° w/ MMT 125 TX (HSx1)

Cobra King Forged MB 4i-Pw w/ KBS C-Taper 130X

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 52/58 mid w/ Rifle Spinner 7.0
Bell 2Way Blade w/ Rifle 7.0 HSx5 + Flatcat Tak Svelte

3 hours ago, tsecor said:

i see the GD shafts getting a LOT of great press.....cant tell if the "influencers" are just trying to sell these or they really are great performers.....i never trust the monitors they use.....last time i was at the PGA store it kept saying i was hitting my drives 310-325 total......i am NEVER that long on the course......

I'm sure there's a bit of marketing and what not going on with influencers regarding GD shafts but they are the real deal.  I've tested and owned countless modern shafts from Fuji, PX, MCA and GD and have settled on the VF.  The tricky thing with GD is finding a shaft that fits your swing since there's a ton to choose from.  They are all iterations of the the blue board/white board profiles.  It would be ideal to know if you prefer a shaft with a softer or stiffer handle for example and base your decision from there after doing some testing. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 4/9/2024 at 7:55 AM, tsecor said:

Looking to test a low spin, great feeling driver shaft that helps with a lower trajectory.....any suggestions? 

I am headed to a PGA store fitting and I really dont think fitting can really help a 12 hdcp player but im willing to give it a shot again....

The only thing that concerns me is this video about shaft testing......i tend to agree the head makes all the difference and not the shaft......but we'll see....i dont think the shaft is the "engine" of the swing

i just want a shaft that feels good and is not whippy or boardy....something right in the middle....that is smooth but launches low. with low spin

Does the shaft matter?

Golfers are so fickle when it comes to shafts; I know I am.  Yes, shaft matters.

I have many driver shafts, but always come back to #1 Ventus Velo TR Blue - low spin, low-mid trajectory, and long; #2 Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 65, played for years before Ventus; and #3 original Ventus Velo Red; not as long as big brother TR Blue but consistently straight, a tad higher and a bit more spin.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Scoring Wedge 113g 
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I’ll add food for thought.

I’m getting along with Robin Arthur’s, Xcaliber Avalon 6.   It’s their low/low model.   

It’s not as linear feeling as the HZRDUS Black 60g 6.5, I actually put swings on both yesterday. 

I’m not sure feel is the right word, because I don’t feel it.  Too linear I feel, to loose and kicky I feel, this I don’t feel.  It’s like I swing and the typical alarms in my head just auto snooze.  

Reasonably price is an understatement.  

• Like 1

Driver: Stealth 2+ 10.5° TR Black 6S Tipped 1”.

Fairways: Stealth 2+ 16.5° 1K Black 75S Tipped 1”. 
Stealth + 19° 1K Black 85S Tipped 1.5”.

Irons: Mim Tours 3-PW Modus 115X 3C14 Protos.

WedgesRTX6 50, 54, 58 Modus 125S.

Putter: White Hot Versa Double Wide.

Ball: Z-Star Diamond.

On 4/9/2024 at 10:55 AM, tsecor said:

Does the shaft matter?

I'd look at the ventus velocore in blue or black, in 50 or 60 gram weight.  Ticks all your boxes and it's super popular for a reason, they tend to work for a lot of players

My swing speed is the same and I like the Hzrdus Smoke Blue a lot. I’m playing the 75g 6.5 version and it feels nice.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

Feel wise the Ventus Blue and Red are hard to beat. AD DI is solid too. Best bet is get fit instead of throwing a bunch at random shafts. 

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

100% a believer that shafts can cut down on spin for spinny players.  Probably doesn't matter much if you have a good, low spin swing already.  Most people who test these things on a YouTube channel don't need he help cutting down on spin.  Heads so matter too.

D4 Titleist and Tensei 1K Orange is the lowest spinning setup that I want to play.  I can get lower with other shafts, but at 1100-1300 RPM, they can get unplayable.  The 1K black that comes in some Titleist drivers is beyond competent and there is no upgrade charge.  I don't care about feel so I have no opinion and have never noticed.  Forsaking a good performing shaft because it feels boardy is just plain dumb to me.

I would take a so-so head and a premium shaft rather than the other way.  For me, shaft is what drives the bus.  I also like heavy shafts that give some mass and stability in my swing.  I don't care about light shafts and heads and swing/clubhead speed, but rather ball speed.

Here is my deal with fittings...  Most fitters are number readers and shaft swappers.  These are probably close to worthless with a few cold swings in a bay in a store.  A good fitter does more than look at numbers, but these are harder to find.  Unfortunately, you have no idea what you are going to get.

I saw that you used an older model HZRDUS Black shaft but ever since I starting using the Gen 4 model, which comes stock for multiple brands, it’s been my go to. The RPM doesn’t surpass 2500 rpm and it has a nice and low trajectory. If you’ve already tried the Gen 4 HZRDUS Black, I would give the Kai’li White 60x a try!

PGA Superstore should have a demo of both shafts mentioned.

My setup is TSR3 with a HZRDUS Black Gen4 6.5 (X-Stiff) 60g. Average swing speed of ~108mph and carry distance is 270-280.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:51 AM, MattM97 said:

The older Hzrdus Black are definitely stiffer/boardy feeling shaft. As for your numbers that's probably right for that swing speed unless your delivery and impact is absolutely optimal.

It also depends on the head your playing, the spin you're getting, ball, etc. Lots of factors, also what we hit in simulators doesn't always translate to the course for a lot of people. I know that too well myself. 

I am not an optimal ball striker and right now i still play the 910 D3 titleist.....i still cant find a driver that warrants spending $700 omn a new driverwhen ive only seen a 5 yard difference when testing.....im hoping to find a shaft that maximizes the head i use.....

On 4/13/2024 at 7:33 AM, clinkinfo said:

I'd look at the ventus velocore in blue or black, in 50 or 60 gram weight.  Ticks all your boxes and it's super popular for a reason, they tend to work for a lot of players

ive heard the black is somewhat STOUT and the blue is much more "Playable" if that makes sense......im headed to my fitting on wednesday so ill check them out

On 4/11/2024 at 2:00 PM, phizzy30 said:

I'm sure there's a bit of marketing and what not going on with influencers regarding GD shafts but they are the real deal.  I've tested and owned countless modern shafts from Fuji, PX, MCA and GD and have settled on the VF.  The tricky thing with GD is finding a shaft that fits your swing since there's a ton to choose from.  They are all iterations of the the blue board/white board profiles.  It would be ideal to know if you prefer a shaft with a softer or stiffer handle for example and base your decision from there after doing some testing. 

I prefer to feel the shaft load and release if that makes sense. If the handle and the tip are stiff but I get some decent feel from the middle, im ok with that. I just like to feel something give when im hitting over my current shaft which feels like i metal rod.  Im looking to maintain control and low to mid trajectory with no ballooning.....i ask a lot, i know

On 4/11/2024 at 11:24 AM, Jeff58 said:

As you probably know, there are 4 generations of Hzrdus Blacks. Yours is the most “boardy”. Either the Smoke or Gen4 are likely to serve you very well. I’m at ~100mph and the Smoke 6.0 feels superb.

I think mine is an original so i have heard the later ones feel much nicer

On 4/11/2024 at 10:12 AM, Glock917 said:

GD shafts do feel smooth for sure. Performance is really up to if it fits your swing which would be for any shaft tbh.

Also I believe that terminology of low spin is misconstrued and just a marketing ploy from manufacturers. If you give me a lighter regular flex low spin shaft, I will present more dynamic loft at impact and I will definitely make it a high spin shaft lol.

There are launch propensities for sure from the profile makeup but should just get the right weight and flex and see what feels good. Try a GD shaft like an IZ to start and see how it feels then go from there.  

i would do the same with a real flexible shaft......i guess i want the characteristics of a real stiff shaft with better feel