Anyone try push carts and go back to carrying?

On 4/12/2024 at 7:38 AM, me05501 said:

I'd really like to walk more this season. I have a good Jones Trouper that I don't mind carrying. I keep it pretty lightweight so it's not a huge hassle but there are times I get tired of picking it up and putting it down. 

I've owned two push carts but I didn't fall in love with either of them. The first was a relative cheapy and the next was a nicer one...I think a Club Glove brand? 

One issue I have is that I drive a small SUV and store my clubs behind the rear seat. There's not a ton of room back there and the carts I've owned took up quite a bit of space. This led to me storing the cart in my garage instead of in the car which meant that there were times I might have used the cart but it was back at home. 

Honestly though I felt like the experience of pushing a cart was also suboptimal. There are a lot of places you can walk pretty easily that are made awkward by trying to navigate a pushcart. Low areas that tend to be muddy were a definite hassle along with steep cart paths and narrow bridges. 

It doesn't help that my usual foursomes are usually riding. Many of the rounds I choose to walk are "cart path only" conditions where I'd just as soon walk the entire course than spend my day walking back and forth between the cart path and my golf ball. So we're talking about wet muddy days when push cart wheels aren't that much more suitable for conditions compared to golf cart tires. Pushing skinny wheels through drenched sod is more work than walking through it. 

It's possible that I just haven't owned the right cart yet, or maybe it's just me. 

Did anyone else find a pushcart to be less satisfying than carrying? 

Yeah tried multiple times. Just was always at an awkward angle for my arms. I got myself a sun mountain 2.5ls and just going to carry this season. Just seem to play better when I walk. 

• Like 1

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

Overall my feelings are meh about the push cart. Big complaint of using a push cart is that it's more gear to bring to the course and unload when finished. I enjoy using it at times and do feel more refreshed after, my back thanks me for sure. I'm active (work out 4x a week) and fit so have never had any issues carrying. I'm still getting used to stopping it in the right spot and optimal storage for water bottle, phone, and range finder. There's no comparison to setting the bag down and picking an iron vs. stopping, fumbling to find range finder then picking the right club. Another complaint is being forced to put cart further away from green given the size of a push cart compared to a carry bag a few steps off the green. Maybe it'd be easier if I hit it in the fairway more often? 

I am still moonlighting at looking at a new carry bag every week. If I had a nice golf cabinet in the garage it would be easier for loading/unloading. Maybe that will happen this summer at some point. Still figuring out storage of everything during the round. Maybe if I'm still meh at end of season I'll buy a new bag next year for walking and see. Can always sell midway through the season. Wow typing this I feel like I know the answer 😆

I'll be 64 in two months.  I walk exclusively.  I play with 9 clubs because the others are superfluous for me.  I have carried a 'Sunday' bag and a larger light-weight carry bag, used a four-wheel push-cart, used a two-wheel pull cart, and used an MGI non-remote electric cart.  All have seemed like the way to go at one-time or another.  The 'Sunday' bag was a bit too limiting on what could be carried, so I sold it.  I like the light-weight carry bag a lot, but it can be taxing on my back even with my limited set.  The four-wheel bag-boy cart was nice, but it seemed to have a bit of rolling resistance over my two-wheel cart, so I sold it.  Plus I felt extra-geezery using it.  The electric was my best golf purchase ever when I initially bought it, but after a while I found it was kind of overkill for most of the courses I play, and lugging it around became less attractive, though I do still plan on using it on hot days when I want an umbrella up and more assistance walking.  The two-wheel pull cart was my cart of choice recently because it is easy to toss in the car and doesn't take much to put the bag on it.

But being a lazy sob, I found I didn't like dealing with hauling any cart around then having to set it up at the course, so my latest purchase was a 'Revolve' golf bag with attachable wheels.  I've used it exclusively since I bought it a couple of months ago, on hilly courses and flat, and I am still really liking it.   It has a retractable handle you pull out like a suitcase, then you can pull or push as you prefer.  And it's also not too heavy with wheels on to lift and walk with over some areas where you might not want to drag your cart or if you want to walk across the green.  Of course, you can take the wheels off and just use it like you would a regular stand bag, but I haven't taken the wheels off mine since I bought it.  There are other brands with attachable wheels, but the 'Revolve' was the cheapest.  Perhaps you should check it out.

I tried a push cart. Generally, I find it easier to just carry a limited set in a SM 2.5+ with only the essentials in the bag and no extras to weigh down.

It’s really the hills that kill the push cart for me. On very flat courses push cart can be okay but I find I am more tired after pushing a cart up a hill than carry a bag on my back. 

For me it's a moot point. I would do well to finish 18 holes carrying a bag on my shoulders. If I'm going to ever play two days in a row (not to mention 4 or 5 in a row as I sometimes do) the bag has to be on a push cart. 

I've always owned Speed Carts but have occasionally borrowed or rented Clicgears. The Clicgears tend to feel a bit heavier to push but more stable. I don't think there's any particular advantage to either of them. After a few thousand rounds I'm so used to navigating with a push cart it's hard for me to relate to how annoying it seems to be for some people. 

But if you're fit enough to carry your bag without being knackered after 14-15 holes and for your shoulders, bag and knees not to complain the next morning then carrying is the most unencumbered way to get around the course. I could do it to a certain extent 25+ years ago but even then it took it's toll.

BTW, in my opinion playing in wet mucky conditions just sucks whether you're carrying or pushing. Golf isn't an activity meant to played in mud although sometimes it's either that or don't play I guess.

after 18 holes my back and waist feel sore if I carry, my legs feel sore if push. I prefer my legs to feel sore...

AI Smoke Max 10.5* w/ Blue Velocore+ 5R

AI Smoke Max 16.5* w/ Red TR Velore 6S

AI Smoke Max 21* w/ Velocore+ 7S | Apex UW 19* w/ Velore+ 7S when too windy

Ping G430 22 & 26 deg, Venus Blue HB 7S
MP 245 6-GW, Recoil 95S
Mizuno T24 54.10S 58.10V, DG S400

SC Phantom T-12 Tour Prototype

Pro V1

Several injuries over the years basically forced me to buy a push cart. Been using it for a few seasons now and honestly do not enjoy pushing it around. It’s not that it’s awkward, causes me any leg soreness, or really anything at all because I generally feel fine when done playing. it’s just not for me.  Every now and then I’ll try to carry when I play just 9 holes then my ego gets a really hard reality check. Each and every time the pain in my neck and shoulders returns somewhere around the 5th or 6th hole and I tell myself never again. If I want to walk it is a must use for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

On 4/14/2024 at 7:36 PM, jordan2240 said:

I'll be 64 in two months.  I walk exclusively.  I play with 9 clubs because the others are superfluous for me.  I have carried a 'Sunday' bag and a larger light-weight carry bag, used a four-wheel push-cart, used a two-wheel pull cart, and used an MGI non-remote electric cart.  All have seemed like the way to go at one-time or another.  The 'Sunday' bag was a bit too limiting on what could be carried, so I sold it.  I like the light-weight carry bag a lot, but it can be taxing on my back even with my limited set.  The four-wheel bag-boy cart was nice, but it seemed to have a bit of rolling resistance over my two-wheel cart, so I sold it.  Plus I felt extra-geezery using it.  The electric was my best golf purchase ever when I initially bought it, but after a while I found it was kind of overkill for most of the courses I play, and lugging it around became less attractive, though I do still plan on using it on hot days when I want an umbrella up and more assistance walking.  The two-wheel pull cart was my cart of choice recently because it is easy to toss in the car and doesn't take much to put the bag on it.

But being a lazy sob, I found I didn't like dealing with hauling any cart around then having to set it up at the course, so my latest purchase was a 'Revolve' golf bag with attachable wheels.  I've used it exclusively since I bought it a couple of months ago, on hilly courses and flat, and I am still really liking it.   It has a retractable handle you pull out like a suitcase, then you can pull or push as you prefer.  And it's also not too heavy with wheels on to lift and walk with over some areas where you might not want to drag your cart or if you want to walk across the green.  Of course, you can take the wheels off and just use it like you would a regular stand bag, but I haven't taken the wheels off mine since I bought it.  There are other brands with attachable wheels, but the 'Revolve' was the cheapest.  Perhaps you should check it out.

I really LIKE that! If only it had full length dividers! 

26 minutes ago, IndyArcher said:

I really LIKE that! If only it had full length dividers! 

I only found the Revolve because I saw a commercial for a similar bag from another company, and when I checked that one out, I wanted to see if there were cheaper options.  I can't recall the name of that company, but it's bag might have full dividers.

• Like 1

Me. I have a clicgear that I basically never use anymore unless it's going to be rainy.  And I only really use it as the umbrella holder. 

I used to be a push-cart advocate until I met a spry 70 year old carrying every round and he told me it's about finding the right bag, then setting it up on your lower back in such a way that you can basically easily squat with it.  He was using a Hoofer lite so I found one and have been carrying every round that I can.

It's so much easier going up and down hills vs. pushing.  You can bring your bag with you even into crappy areas rather than leaving the cart then having to go back to retrieve it. 

Lastly, you can walk right on the green rather than around it and so, I end up walking fewer steps while carrying a bag vs pushing a cart. 

I think if you're going to get a push cart, you may as well go all the way and get a powered, remote control cart.  If not, I suggest carrying if you're at all able to. 

I also find the hard plastic handle at the top of the bag is great for minimizing stress and effort when picking up and setting down the bag by using both hands.  Keep an eye out on that feature when choosing a bag to carry. 

• Like 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

I think it depends where you play as well. I have an electric trundler with a remote after a decade of using a Clic Gear. I also have a spare set in a carry bag that I take with me when I travel for work. 

It's almost night and day for me. Whilst I appreciate the convenience of being able to walk more directly around the course, I have to be much more disciplined about what I actually put in the bag when I carry. 

We play year round and it's rainy during winter. So as a consequence we all use large cart bags as we have to have rain gear etc. Whereas there's no way I'd go back to that with a carry bag. Chuck in rain gear, umbrella and a drink and the carry bag gets very heavy. 

I play better with a trundler too, I still couldn't get over the first round with the ClicGear and how much better my shoulders feel.

Now there's no getting around how much more space it takes up, especially an electric trundler. But I generally only play once a week. With the carry bag, it's those little things that annoy me, for example when I'm walking, my arms aren't long enough for me to reach into the nearest pocket where the range finder is, I have to tilt and reach for it. Plus my clubs clatter a bit when walking which I hate, so have the towel threaded through them. 

I think the key to a trundler or buggy is to go all in with a decent cart style bag. Carry bags usually don't sit on them very well. Then you've got the little add ons like bottle holders etc which are really useful at times. I hardly ever have to actually go into my bag. 

• Like 1

When we were young we would carry every single round. It didn't matter what the weather was, or how hilly the course was, we didn't even notice. Now that I am a bit older (approaching 50), I still walk most of my rounds, but I pretty much use a push cart for every round now. We usually start early in the mornings, and may need a sweater or rain pants for the first couple of holes. Its nice to have the storage to throw excess clothing, water bottles (or beers maybe), cigars, range finder, cellphone, speaker maybe, etc. All those things just add weight when carrying. If I play an evening round, or if the weather is absolutely perfect in the mornings, I will still try to carry once in a while. I empty the bag as much as I can and just go. There is still something really nice about just carrying what you need and walking wherever you want, it just hurts a little more now! 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

I've gone back and forth a few times. I'm now firmly in the push cart camp - except when I play only 9 holes - then I'll carry.

It just comes down to that tiny bit of extra neck and shoulder fatigue that creeps in on the later holes when carrying. I'm not a big guy, so while I'm pretty fit overall, the load ultimately takes its toll. Sure, I could start doing extra set of workouts to develop those carrying muscles, but I've got enough workout stuff going on to worry about making carrying easier.

I have no issues pushing the cart on hills, and I play some courses with some steep and/or long hills. I just adjust the push handle low enough so I have good leverage for pushing uphill.

Finally, I see a large percentage of collegiate golfers (male and female) using pushcarts. If anybody is fit enough to carry, it's them, but they still chose to push.

I carried for the past few years though this spring my back decided it was getting to be too much.  I was winded and achy by the 16th tee.

pulled out my BagBoy cart and it's smooth sailing.

earlier posted mentioned getting the carry bag's balance just right. mine still feels bottom heavy so maybe will experiment with adjusting this weekend.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry