2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Anyone try push carts and go back to carrying?

I'd really like to walk more this season. I have a good Jones Trouper that I don't mind carrying. I keep it pretty lightweight so it's not a huge hassle but there are times I get tired of picking it up and putting it down. 

I've owned two push carts but I didn't fall in love with either of them. The first was a relative cheapy and the next was a nicer one...I think a Club Glove brand? 

One issue I have is that I drive a small SUV and store my clubs behind the rear seat. There's not a ton of room back there and the carts I've owned took up quite a bit of space. This led to me storing the cart in my garage instead of in the car which meant that there were times I might have used the cart but it was back at home. 

Honestly though I felt like the experience of pushing a cart was also suboptimal. There are a lot of places you can walk pretty easily that are made awkward by trying to navigate a pushcart. Low areas that tend to be muddy were a definite hassle along with steep cart paths and narrow bridges. 

It doesn't help that my usual foursomes are usually riding. Many of the rounds I choose to walk are "cart path only" conditions where I'd just as soon walk the entire course than spend my day walking back and forth between the cart path and my golf ball. So we're talking about wet muddy days when push cart wheels aren't that much more suitable for conditions compared to golf cart tires. Pushing skinny wheels through drenched sod is more work than walking through it. 

It's possible that I just haven't owned the right cart yet, or maybe it's just me. 

Did anyone else find a pushcart to be less satisfying than carrying? 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I used one of the early sun mountain push carts for several years. I'm 6'3" and found that the posture I needed to push/navigate the cart, particularly on hilly courses, was more tiresome/annoying than carrying. Went back to carrying. Once I get to the point that carrying makes me too sore to do it two days in a row, I'll buy a powered cart.

• Like 1

Nope.  I’ll never carry again except on par 3 courses. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I bought a clic-gear last season. I promised myself I would walk more...I've used it 3x. 1. I felt like I could never get into a rhythm with it. 2. Pretty much everyone I play with rides. 3. I find it to be a hassle getting it out and everything. I would rather walk and carry but my body is so beat up that it isnt really an option

2 hours ago, smoova said:

I used one of the early sun mountain push carts for several years. I'm 6'3" and found that the posture I needed to push/navigate the cart, particularly on hilly courses, was more tiresome/annoying than carrying. Went back to carrying. Once I get to the point that carrying makes me too sore to do it two days in a row, I'll buy a powered cart.

My son experienced the same, not as tall as 6+ft but said it hurt his back pushing but didn't get back ache when carrying. 

Love carrying, had to move to a sun mountain years ago, due to degeneration in back .  Then pushing up hills and holding back on downhill aggravated the back. So riding a cart became the norm.  Walked  12 rounds in Ireland last year , no problem with a caddy.  
Sadly no caddies at home.  

8 minutes ago, Ray Jackson said:

not as tall as 6+ft but said it hurt his back pushing but didn't get back ache when carrying. 

At 6’2” most pull carts the handle is too short, especially the motorized ones, have to uncomfortably bend over to keep a hand on it.  

There are pro's for carrying - not dealing with a pushcart, and, being able to walk in places, you can't go with a pushcart. 

But, I will stick with the hassles of my pushcart, because, using a pushcart seems to be easier on my back. There are spots, where, using a pushcart is pita, but, the vast majority of the golf course is not.

• Like 3

I use my push cart when:

1. It's very hot or very cold out, i have much more gear and carrying would be too heavy.
  2. Course is relatively flat.

Carry in every other scenario!

• Like 1

WITB

Sim2 - Ventus TR Blue 6x

Sim 3 Wood - PX Smoke 6.5 

Mavrik Pro 3 hybrid - Ventus Blue HB 8x

ZX 4 Utility - aerofiber 110x

P770 - Modus 120x

Milled Grind, High Toe - S400

38" Counterbalanced Phantom X9

I love my push cart. Had the same Sun Mountain for over 15 years. My home course is an easy walk. Not hilly and ideal for a walker. I don't feel the same without it my push cart, everything is right where I need it when I come to my ball, range finder, pull a club and go. I feel out of sorts when I take a motorized cart, always misplacing my range finder and or clubs. Carrying, only if I have to like when on vacation without my cart and even then I'm pretty sure I'd only be able to do it a day or two before I was just too sore.

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

I had a push cart for a brief amount of time, but I decided that I would rather lighten the load carry a half set. To me there are some advantages of carrying over pushing. With carrying you can walk across a green with your clubs, jump/walk through ditches and creeks, walking up hills seem to be easier while carrying, and when its muddy you don't have to deal with grass and mud all over your cart. I'm sure there are more advantages, those are just the ones I though of off the top of my head. Now I may be saying something else if I were a competitive golfer who carried a full set, but as long as I am able to I will be carrying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st1800e said:

Love carrying, had to move to a sun mountain years ago, due to degeneration in back .  Then pushing up hills and holding back on downhill aggravated the back. So riding a cart became the norm.  Walked  12 rounds in Ireland last year , no problem with a caddy.  
Sadly no caddies at home.  

At 6’2” most pull carts the handle is too short, especially the motorized ones, have to uncomfortably bend over to keep a hand on it.  

Take a look at Stewart. Their new Vertx is set up perfect height wise for someone tall. I'm 6-3 and the handle is a perfect relaxed height when walking.  The same chassis is used in the Q and Vertx remote models.  The Follow ones are a different model, but again the same chassis.

• Thanks 1

I've got a fancier sun mountain one with a cupholder and such and that's pretty much why I use it. I usually play alone and make a coffee in a yeti before my round and having it readily accessible without worrying about it spilling is nice. If I don't have a coffee, the simple aluminum two wheel pull carts from the course are lighter and more convenient to push around than my fancy sun mountain one.

My back and shoulders thank me for not carrying.

If you're looking for a smaller cart look at the BigMax brand they have a few Flat Fold options. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I know how to get around the wet areas at my  home course with a push cart. 

I don't have any trouble getting it up and down hills in the hot summer weather.

I use a Big Max Ti-Lite with a Callawy Hyper light Bag with the straps removed.  A very light combo.

I especially like the scorecard holder so I always know where it is.

My boxy little car has enough room to squeeze in a 4x4 sheet of plywood!

I got a new but older stock Sun Mountain 2.5+ to carry around a half set of clubs when I travel this summer.

The Sun Mountain is only a pound heavier than the Olimar but has a lot more room.

I've been using taking it to a practice chipping green to get used to it.

Edited by ShortGolfer

7 hours ago, smoova said:

I am 6’1”…… I had aweful back and hip issues with the hunching over pushing the cart. 

use a Ping Craze Lite and never looked back. 

I'm a push cart guy. And that's even at 6'5". I just prefer it. 

The main pros to the push cart:

• I can carry a lot more weight in the bag. This can be important during the summer when I'm trying to carry a lot of water and electrolyte drinks in the bag. I'm a big guy and I sweat, and I need to hydrate. Carrying is not always fun with all that extra weight. 
  • I have easy access to everything. I keep my rangefinder in one place. When I drop my glove to get on the green, I drop it right into the mesh area where I keep extra golf balls. 
  • I have a cupholder, either for my water/hydration drinks or if I get beers at the turn. 
  • I have an umbrella holder, which again is really important on hot summer days and I use the umbrella for shade. 

I do have a Sunday bag that I use when going to the range, playing my little pitch & putt course, etc. For that I don't feel like a pushcart is necessary or even beneficial. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Posted (edited)

Thanks all. 

As I think about my bag and on-course needs it occurs to me that what I’d really love is a lightweight carry bag with one decent-sized detachable pocket. 

There are things I used every round and there are other things I have in my bag just in case. For example I always have a spare glove, rain gloves and a rain hood for my bag but they get used vary rarely. They could all stay in the same long pocket they’re in now but that pocket could maybe attach with strong velcro and be easily removable for days when those items clearly aren’t needed. 

I carried for 12 holes today and my bag was starting to get on my nerves toward the end. This was my first round carrying with the new Jones v3 straps and they probably need to be adjusted a bit more to keep them from slipping off my shoulders. 

Edited by me05501

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Good luck with the jones straps 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

14 hours ago, me05501 said:

Thanks all. 

As I think about my bag and on-course needs it occurs to me that what I’d really love is a lightweight carry bag with one decent-sized detachable pocket. 

There are things I used every round and there are other things I have in my bag just in case. For example I always have a spare glove, rain gloves and a rain hood for my bag but they get used vary rarely. They could all stay in the same long pocket they’re in now but that pocket could maybe attach with strong velcro and be easily removable for days when those items clearly aren’t needed. 

I carried for 12 holes today and my bag was starting to get on my nerves toward the end. This was my first round carrying with the new Jones v3 straps and they probably need to be adjusted a bit more to keep them from slipping off my shoulders. 

I prefer a push cart for a variety of reasons, but I’ll carry here and there too.

For carrying, there are two bags head and shoulders above all others IMO. Hoofer Lite and Sun Mountain 2.5. The Ping is a little more versatile and works better on days you don’t carry. The SM is simply the best carry bag. Best straps (pro tip — replace the straps with the Sun Mountain 3.5 straps) and lightest weight. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I have a love - hate relationship with my push cart. Hate cleaning the mud off the wheels, lugging it into my trunk and having to navigate around the edges of the green / bunkers. BUT, love it when it's hot, love sitting on the seat when play is backed up and when my back is a little sore.

So, I bounce back and forth between carrying and pushing. All things being equal I would rather carry but at age 71, pushing makes more sense.

• Like 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag