2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

PGA Tour TV Ratings Show Sick Patient

bajadock

2 hours ago, Gdane said:

If the viewership decline can start spilling into a decline in the playing public so that tee times are easier to come by.....

image.jpeg.73bed0d131140849e42a71784dc84509.jpeg

As much as I would like to shrink the game, I don’t think it correlates. Those golf muppets on tik tak and YouTube don’t have a problem getting views. The problem isn’t with golf, it’s with the PGA Tour product. Frankly, I think it would be better if the PGA Tour product didn’t suck. That way people would stay home on the weekend and watch instead of going to play a 6 hour round. 

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

I get the impression the people running the TV/radio coverage never actually view or listen to the coverage to feel how it comes across the airwaves. 

This first hit me while listening to PGA Tour Radio on XM. It is often painful to listen to and the presenters seem clueless to how silly they sound.

the thing that gets me about radio is i'm pretty sure no one likes hearing someone try to talk while eating. If you want to do asmr shut up and just let it rock while you eat ;}

17 hours ago, bajadock said:

Several sources document 2024 Masters drop of 20% in TV viewership.  Golf.com is one.

That reflects similar drop in PGA Tour TV viewership trend in 2024.  Sportsmediawatch.com is the article from this past weekend used for attached TV viewership chart.

Matt Adams Fairways of Life podcast today argued that there is too much golf(PGA, PGA alternate event, LPGA, Korn Ferry, Champions, LIV) or that golf should get creative with weekday/night finishes for tournaments.

Dozens of articles argue that LIV vs PGA and money discussions have turned fans away.

I think that pro golf has simply become repetitive and slow in a very competitive sports and changing entertainment world.  Video on demand, sports around the world, YoutTube(and other vid platforms), families and children spending weekend activities away from the TV are growing the escape away from 4 hours of the hushed tones from the 6 Sunday golf announcers who sound alike. 

"Let's go to another compelling weather update from Mark Dusbabek on the rain delay!".

PGATV24.jpg

I think it's a number of things...

PGAT v LIV exhaustion

A lot of bad weather and subsequent delays

Cord cutting

Too many alternatives and the golf market is saturated (PGAT, LIV, LPGA. Champions, NCAA, KFT, Youtube)

Too many ways to watch - This is a good thing but muddies up viewership trends. I find myself watching a lot of featured groups on ESPN+ if they happen to be following a golfer I like. I may not tune into CBS/NBC/GC until they back 9 on Sunday. 

Participation uptick. More people are playing. Hard to watch the tournament when you are spending more time on the course. 

• Like 3

I watch golf when it's on and I'm home, but it's not 'must see TV' unless it's a major.

I gravitate toward playing and watching sports that can be mastered by 'normal' people.

The NBA bores me to tears...a bunch of humongous outliers that won the genetic lottery.

Pretty much the same with the NFL.

But golf and soccer can be played at the highest level by 'normal' people.

Arguably the best soccer players in history have been well under 6 feet tall (Messi, Pele) with Ronaldo being an exception at 6'2".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, R_Swanson said:

This is my question as well.

LIV vs PGAT has hurt viewership because there are less name brand guys out there, sure... but I don't buy that its because people are sick of how much money the guys make.  Every sport has rich players trying to make more money.

NBA ratings are also down... https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/04/nba-ratings-viewership-past-30-years-analysis-where-league-stands/

However revenues are up... because the NBA is diversifying heavily into other markets and revenue streams, and working hard to get younger viewers, etc.  I hate to say it, but that's one of LIV's big arguments.  

You're last point might be true except that aesthetically, LIV is to the PGA what Affliction was to the UFC.

3 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

Those soccer players may not be tall but they are far from normal on the athletic curve.  Cristiano Ronaldo has the athleticism to be an NFL defensive back. May not be interested in tackling Derrick Henry but that's beside the point. 

Back in the day I remember watching a program on ESPN or Wide World of Sports that was a general "best athlete" competition. Pros from football, baseball, soccer, etc all competing in a series of random events. Sprints, obstacle courses, etc. Being a kid that played football, basketball, and baseball growing up, I was convinced the NFL guys were going to dominate. I was wrong. Austrian skier Hermann Maier waxed everybody and the events were a lot closer than I thought. Point being, all these dudes are mutants whether they're 5'10 or 7'1", 185lbs or 285lbs. 

Australian Institute of Sports conducted fitness research on athletes from various sports years ago 

Elite boxers, cyclists and cross country skiers were off the charts 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tomjas said:

Australian Institute of Sports conducted fitness research on athletes from various sports years ago 

Elite boxers, cyclists and cross country skiers were off the charts 

overall fitness, i can see ... overall athletic ability, boxers yes ... not sure about cyclists and skiers, though skiers are massively underrated ... 

an aside ... abc and the Superstars competition ... raise your hand if you remember that one ... tight ends, receivers and boxers always did well ... wasn't old enough to see it, but joe frazier attempted a swim heat despite not knowing how to swim ... 

10 minutes ago, tiderider said:

overall fitness, i can see ... overall athletic ability, boxers yes ... not sure about cyclists and skiers, though skiers are massively underrated ... 

an aside ... abc and the Superstars competition ... raise your hand if you remember that one ... tight ends, receivers and boxers always did well ... wasn't old enough to see it, but joe frazier attempted a swim heat despite not knowing how to swim ... 

Cyclists and cross country skiers if we talkin VO2 max and cardio fitness. 

I just cycled somewhat seriously for a couple of years and me rating heart rate dropped to like 48 bpm 

But if we talkin all around athleticism, speed, power, delivering leverage, coordination and agility 

Guys like this are at the very top of the food chain 

lawrence taylor giants GIF

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tiderider said:

Cyclists require a combination of endurance, speed and massive strength to weight ratio 

The other crazy ones are climbers 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Cyclists and cross country skiers if we talkin VO2 max and cardio fitness. 

I just cycled somewhat seriously for a couple of years and me rating heart rate dropped to like 48 bpm 

But if we talkin all around athleticism, speed, power, delivering leverage, coordination and agility 

Guys like this are at the very top of the food chain 

lawrence taylor giants GIF

Explosive sport not endurance 

Rugby league requires all of the above 

11 minutes ago, tomjas said:

Explosive sport not endurance 

Rugby league requires all of the above 

lol the cardio training in football would blow your mind

We had guys on track specialize in events  800 meters or even longer, train and race during track season. 

But come football season the track guys who played on the fooball team were sucking wind with the rest of us during cardio sessions. 

2 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

lol the cardio training in football would blow your mind

We had guys on track specialize in events  800 meters or even longer, train and race during track season. 

But come football season the track guys who played on the fooball team were sucking wind with the rest of us during cardio sessions. 

They’re amazing athletes but fact is that the ball is only in play for a relatively short period of time plus special teams, etc so explosiveness is paramount 

Ball is in play in rugby league 75% of time so virtually no rest

Gotten to the point where there’s a fairly homogenous body type (110kg brick) as bigger guys can’t keep up while smaller ones get bashed unless they’re very special 

I was listening to Steve Elkington on Rocco Mediates radio show. He said he met up with Bryson at the masters on the first tee. He asked Bryson what are you doing here at 4 O'clock on Friday. Bryson said I am going to play 9 holes of Practice. He then went on to play and Bryson teed up a 3wd struct it down the middle. He then went back to his bag - and grabbed another ball the crowd started yelling hit the driver -- the first tee was mobbed he said.

So He did and hit a Bomb over the trap which is 320 to clear and its still going now. He said the crowd went crazy.

His point was bring these guys back let them play this is what the tour needs for ratings.

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

16 minutes ago, scores said:

I was listening to Steve Elkington on Rocco Mediates radio show. He said he met up with Bryson at the masters on the first tee. He asked Bryson what are you doing here at 4 O'clock on Friday. Bryson said I am going to play 9 holes of Practice. He then went on to play and Bryson teed up a 3wd struct it down the middle. He then went back to his bag - and grabbed another ball the crowd started yelling hit the driver -- the first tee was mobbed he said.

So He did and hit a Bomb over the trap which is 320 to clear and its still going now. He said the crowd went crazy.

His point was bring these guys back let them play this is what the tour needs for ratings.

Then why doesn’t anyone watch him or any of these other guys now?

🤔 🤣

I know what you mean but they can always quit where they are now and ask to come back ; )

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 9:24 PM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I seriously doubt those struggling to keep a roof over their head and put food on the table were ever consumers of golf. 

Meanwhile all the spendy(golf demographic type) places I go are busy with lots people spending money like drunken sailors. I think people are doing different things instead of watching TV. 

I said, and I quote: "I think people are growing weary of the financial state of sports in general"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dan33185 said:

I said, and I quote: "I think people are growing weary of the financial state of sports in general"

I agree with what you quoted above. But I don't believe that the other part of your quote is a factor in lower golf viewership "...I think most people are tired of listening to millionaires and billionaires fight over petty stuff while they struggle to put a roof over their head and food on the table."  Golf participation is stronger than ever.  People playing it is up while watching it (for free) is down.  In my travels, local and afar, people (especially the golf type demographic) are spending money like drunken sailors.  Golf fans in large are not struggling, so therefore is not a factor in lower viewership.    

17 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

I think it's a number of things...

PGAT v LIV exhaustion

A lot of bad weather and subsequent delays

Cord cutting

Too many alternatives and the golf market is saturated (PGAT, LIV, LPGA. Champions, NCAA, KFT, Youtube)

Too many ways to watch - This is a good thing but muddies up viewership trends. I find myself watching a lot of featured groups on ESPN+ if they happen to be following a golfer I like. I may not tune into CBS/NBC/GC until they back 9 on Sunday. 

Participation uptick. More people are playing. Hard to watch the tournament when you are spending more time on the course. 

I'm not sure number 1 is much of a factor, but everything else you said are absolutely large factors in my opinion.    

9 hours ago, scores said:

His point was simply …… wrong, but there is a place for exhibition tour remarks and practice rounds the week before an event won’t be televised or watched. 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

I’m not sure how my sports viewing habits are counted by those keeping track, but I have satellite TV and other than this years Masters final round I haven’t watch a round of golf live in 5 years. I always record it and watch it at least 2 hours after it starts. It takes some discipline as I have to avoid watching or listening to anything that would spoil it, but it’s can be just as exciting later in the evening as it is live, and I don’t watch any commercials, playing through, or Jimmy Roberts-like human interest fluff. 

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs