2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PGA Tour TV Ratings Show Sick Patient

bajadock

11 hours ago, bajadock said:

Several sources document 2024 Masters drop of 20% in TV viewership.  Golf.com is one.

That reflects similar drop in PGA Tour TV viewership trend in 2024.  Sportsmediawatch.com is the article from this past weekend used for attached TV viewership chart.

Matt Adams Fairways of Life podcast today argued that there is too much golf(PGA, PGA alternate event, LPGA, Korn Ferry, Champions, LIV) or that golf should get creative with weekday/night finishes for tournaments.

Dozens of articles argue that LIV vs PGA and money discussions have turned fans away.

I think that pro golf has simply become repetitive and slow in a very competitive sports and changing entertainment world.  Video on demand, sports around the world, YoutTube(and other vid platforms), families and children spending weekend activities away from the TV are growing the escape away from 4 hours of the hushed tones from the 6 Sunday golf announcers who sound alike. 

"Let's go to another compelling weather update from Mark Dusbabek on the rain delay!".

PGATV24.jpg

Yawn.  Just regurgitation of what's been out there and parsed over and over.

Cherry picked chart leaves out American Express - up 37%; Valero just three weeks ago - up 21%.

Down overall on "linear" TV is still true, but still ignores the digital side of things which is significant and increasing.

PGA Tour TV deal runs to 2030 so lots of click baiting about ratings, but it's .  .  . 2024.

Give the world a break from the people "tired" of the PGA Tour/exhibition league drama.  Just because media outlets endlessly parrot the same stuff doesn't make it accurate - Matt Adams is a doof - "too much golf on TV"  - that's idiotic.

The viewers likely not tuning into golf on regular TV (apart from those taking it in otherwise which the numbers ignore) are unlikely to give one whit about or even waste time reading the nonsense about the Norman league - media likes to play it up, no doubt people are tired of that largely manufactured drama but they are still going to watch golf - when it comes down to it, nobody watches the exhibition league and those that watch golf overwhelmingly and by huge margins watch PGA Tour and other golf - so no, not exhibition league fatigue - they don't care about it.

Brave new world for traditional TV viewing, golf has periods when viewership is less, but these measurements have limitations they haven't had in the past - and I'm sure some different metrics will be addressed (and are being addressed).

Golf is still going to be on TV per the contracts for several more years, and primarily PGA Tour and other real tours ----- deal with it, lol.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, tiderider said:

viewership is down for all sports, in general ... and golf was never going to be near the top without tiger ... 

Ahhh there was a time..

cool view from this guys deck. 

Awwww you need to click but is good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOarkfmt2Zs?si=os3fNklu3HvFBYdb

IMG_2670.jpeg

• Like 2

For me, I'll watch the majors.  But the Liv vs PGAT stuff turned me off of professional golf.

• Like 3

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

50 minutes ago, tiderider said:

viewership is down for all sports, in general ... and golf was never going to be near the top without tiger ... 

Yep, Tiger bubble is over and golf is back to the niche sport it's always been. But of course the "leadership" will panic to try and keep it propped up and attract new viewers. Tough to do that and not piss off your (dwindling) core viewership as we've seen via the complaints on this board.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jdl said:

Yep, Tiger bubble is over and golf is back to the niche sport it's always been. But of course the "leadership" will panic to try and keep it propped up and attract new viewers. Tough to do that and not piss off your (dwindling) core viewership as we've seen via the complaints on this board.

I just posted a TGL update on me Tigerrrrr! thread 

It basically addresses all the issues people seem to have…

Tiger playing 

More action/less talk

Faster format and shorter airing time

TW save the tour yo! 🤣

• Like 1

There might be 6 tournaments worth watching. The rest are vanilla. There's more excitement in the 3rd week of NFL than entire golf season. Pro golf thinks the players are the stars and they are but what makes a great tournament is the venue, they are bit lazy and rubber stamped about that. I watch DP at times just because the course is different. 

• Like 2

I had issues watching the Masters and it had nothing to do with want.  I tire of the featured group and hole focus and would prefer to see ALL the play.  What happened with that had me shutting it off and actually playing the game.  When they get their focus back on the consumers vs the players, I'll come back.  Lose the elevated tournaments and let's get back to regular PGA golf where anyone that can qualify plays.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

31 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

This data is pretty incomplete without showing:

1) Data over more than two years;

2) Similar statistics from streaming and time-shifted viewing;

3) Demographic data; and

4) Perhaps most importantly, the same viewership trends across other sports.

if this was the tiger era none of those things would matter ;} cause the numbers would go up

Speaking for myself, I haven't watched nearly as much in the last year or so. I love watching golf, but the seemingly never ending discussion about money and the broadcasts being an advertisement program with a side of golf has really just soured me on the whole deal.

Here's a freebie for the PGAT: Show us golf and improve the TV product, then more eyeballs will watch, then you can charge your advertisers and sponsors more, then everybody wins.

These guys need a reality check. Until they get the eyeballs that the NFL, Soccer (football), NBA, etc etc get, why do these guys think they deserve to get paid like them?

• Like 3

Lefty

Mavrik - Rogue White 60TX

TS2 15* - Tensei White 75X

ZU85 3UDI - Tensei Blue 85TX

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

I get the impression the people running the TV/radio coverage never actually view or listen to the coverage to feel how it comes across the airwaves. 

This first hit me while listening to PGA Tour Radio on XM. It is often painful to listen to and the presenters seem clueless to how silly they sound.

There's way too much play-by-play coverage of putts. I guess the presenters get bored with it and try to make it more exciting than it actually is. The level of detail they offer is just dumb. I actually heard one describe a player putting his ball mark back in his pocket. Then as the ball approaches the hole they get way too loud trying to create excitement whether it drops or not. You can tell from the crowd reaction what happened so none of this is really necessary. 

The TV coverage is the same. If the producer from NBC watched two hours of his own coverage I guarantee that changes would be made to "Playing Through."

When they're tasked with coming up with creative, engaging ideas they put on stuff like "Kiz's Korner" on 17th at Sawgrass and show us a bunch of awkward interactions with players. 

IMO it's not the on-course product that's lacking. It's the tired coverage. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I've stopped consuming the product altogether. I just have no interest in hearing about the drama of who's signing a $500,000,000 contract this week, while players making $750,000-$10,000,000 claim to be underpaid. I understand that's a relative term, but I don't think golf is actually a product of real market value at the moment, it's hyper inflated like other sports because of billion and trillion dollar companies needing to throw money at something. 

I'll play golf, but I don't watch anymore. Especially when I need 8 different subscriptions to watch a consistent schedule. 

• Like 2

Parallels between the current state of pro golf and the self-destruction of US open wheel racing (ie Indycar) in the mid-1990's are striking. Greed, product quality compromised by attenuation, decisions being made by people who bring little to the table except a talent for self-preservation, etc. etc. 

For the uninitiated:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

2 hours ago, tiderider said:

i like the sig events ... watched just about all of the RBC this past sunday ... 

I do not like them.  Very exhibition feel. With no cut,  everyone's getting paid.  With a cut,  half are leaving in the red and half that are left are grinding to get back in it, or to get a decent check, especially on Saturday.  

It’s anecdotal, but interest in professional golf amongst the 24 guys I play with on the weekends is way down just based on how infrequently we discuss it as compared to just a couple years ago. Participation is way up, however as the course and range are always packed.

My adult son who is a scratch golfer and practices or plays 5-6 times a week watches almost no professional golf. He watches YouTube golfers and tons of MMA, but he has no interest in watching golf on TV. He’s very in tune to what equipment is being played by the pros because he’s an equipment junkie, he just couldn’t care less who wins the RBC Heritage.

5 hours ago, kmbean said:

Good post.

The Cantlay hat issue and the JT/Morikawa antics after the fact was pretty ridiculous to see.  It’s amazing to me with all the media/PR training these guys have received they are still completely clueless at how insufferable they come across as at times.

Man, if I used these standards to choose what I viewed… Well I’d watch a lot of PBS! 🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

I had issues watching the Masters and it had nothing to do with want.  I tire of the featured group and hole focus and would prefer to see ALL the play.  What happened with that had me shutting it off and actually playing the game.  When they get their focus back on the consumers vs the players, I'll come back.  Lose the elevated tournaments and let's get back to regular PGA golf where anyone that can qualify plays.

IMO the Tour isn't going back to 1998 - whether WGC or "elevated" or "signature" or what you want to call them they are here to stay and have been for 26 years.  There was a Tour event opposite the RBC and a Korn Ferry event and that is called  . . . opportunity to play and anyone meeting the criteria can play the signature events.  Like people watched more golf prior to 1999, lol, there wasn't even close to the golf available to watch then and nobody really watched.