Last Tournament for Valhalla?

NormanFan

On 5/17/2024 at 11:38 PM, Ronnie Mundt said:

Aren’t they starting a road project on Shelbyville soon? I heard it’s a 10 year project, so it sounds like it will be at least a decade. Or right when Scottie gets out on parole.

How's Stephanie?

Driver: Wilson Whale

3 wd: Nickent 4DX

5 wd: Adams Faldo Series

7 wd: Warrior Tomahawk

9 wd:  Mastergrip OSC

11 wd: Goldwin 11

Irons 7-pw: Slotline Inertial E-Max

SW: Alien Shot Saver   LW: Hummingbird Air X 70 degree

Putter: Tour Edge T-Balance

Ball: Chromax Titanium

5 minutes ago, AZBRONCFAN said:

The course produced a good leaderboard but I'd playing too east for a major.

You could turn these guys loose at my local dogtrack and there would be a great leaderboard.  The course doesn't punish bad swings which is why this leaderboard is very bunched.  Ironically rolled back equipment would make Valhalla much more interesting, something that the PGA is against I think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StoutKing said:

You could turn these guys loose at my local dogtrack and there would be a great leaderboard.  The course doesn't punish bad swings which is why this leaderboard is very bunched.  Ironically rolled back equipment would make Valhalla much more interesting, something that the PGA is against I think.

Agreed about anytrack. Fairways are too wide around Valhalla. Greens seem fairly flat. These guys have been pouring in long puts and chips all week.

7 hours ago, ChrisATL said:

Agree to disagree here - if the mission of the PGAA is to grow the game, what a better way than to showcase the best players than to play on some of the worlds best courses. 🤷‍♂️

The PGA of America wants to grow the game in America. Their members don’t benefit from growth in other countries. They are not the same as the USGA or R&A. Also, if it’s played in another country, do the 20 spots for club pros go to pros from that country or PGA of America members? It’s staying here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AZBRONCFAN said:

Yeah 13 is the worst golf hole in major championship IMO.

I will admit, Tosti driving the green was pretty entertaining 😭

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged Black 5-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 7

2 hours ago, AZBRONCFAN said:

Yeah 13 is the worst golf hole in major championship IMO.

The only drama is will the player's 5 iron off the tee land in a divot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Black 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

56 minutes ago, AZBRONCFAN said:

Speith trying it too but nobody would do it in contention. Green has been hit at 89 percent for the week.

I'm surprised only 89%. The hole is only a 4-5 iron off the tee and PW to a fairly large green. It's larger than the TV coverage has shown most of the coverage.

2 hours ago, caniac6 said:

The PGA of America wants to grow the game in America. Their members don’t benefit from growth in other countries. They are not the same as the USGA or R&A. Also, if it’s played in another country, do the 20 spots for club pros go to pros from that country or PGA of America members? It’s staying here.

I have no idea where this idea came from, but it is as silly as anything brought up about golf.  The organization that runs it is very focused on its own interests, full stop.  Anything else is just PR.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

I have no idea where this idea came from, but it is as silly as anything brought up about golf.  The organization that runs it is very focused on its own interests, full stop.  Anything else is just PR.

There was a report several years ago that the PGA of America considered the idea of moving the tournament overseas, but they ultimately decided against it at the time. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, StoutKing said:

Just do it every 3-5 years.  That would be a huge gesture to the golf world.

Also believe The Open Championship should do that as well. There are only 2 major events that are locked into specific places due to geography. The Open Championship is supposed to be a tournament for the entire world, yet it's played in the British islands every time. They get offended when people label it The British Open, yet they refuse to play the event in other places. 

The United States Open is never gonna be played outside the USA. Meanwhile The Masters is owned & operated by a single golf course. It will never be played anywhere other than Augusta National. And why would anyone want to have The Masters played somewhere else? Lol

1 minute ago, redfirebird08 said:

Also believe The Open Championship should do that as well. There are only 2 major events that are locked into specific places due to geography. The Open Championship is supposed to be a tournament for the entire world, yet it's played in the British islands every time. They get offended when people label it The British Open, yet they refuse to play the event in other places. 

The United States Open is never gonna be played outside the USA. Meanwhile The Masters is owned & operated by a single golf course. It will never be played anywhere other than Augusta National. And why would anyone want to have The Masters played somewhere else? Lol

Interesting point.  SOmething that I haven't thought about.  Heard they might take it to Portmarnock, which is British adjacent.  Anyway I just want to see a major at Royal Melbourne, one of my favorite courses.  Until they roll back the equipment though I don't think they should do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StoutKing said:

Interesting point.  SOmething that I haven't thought about.  Heard they might take it to Portmarnock, which is British adjacent.  Anyway I just want to see a major at Royal Melbourne, one of my favorite courses.  Until they roll back the equipment though I don't think they should do it.

I think it would be pretty cool if The Open Championship went to Royal Melbourne. It's an awesome course. It even has "Royal" in the name of the course, just like all the traditional Open rota courses. The R&A is in control of the golf world outside the USA. They could easily make this type of decision. I would like to see it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, redfirebird08 said:

I think it would be pretty cool if The Open Championship went to Royal Melbourne. It's an awesome course. It even has "Royal" in the name of the course, just like all the traditional Open rota courses. The R&A is in control of the golf world outside the USA. They could easily make this type of decision. I would like to see it! 

Australia is also a constitutional monarchy under the British crown, so it’s really not that crazy of a leap to take the Open Championship international. 

• Like 2

[sign here]

5 minutes ago, italianstallion said:

Australia is also a constitutional monarchy under the British crown, so it’s really not that crazy of a leap to take the Open Championship international. 

While I still think it's a pretty big stretch, that at least makes a bit of sense.  There is no rationale other than "let's do something different" to play the PGA championship somewhere outside of the US.

1 hour ago, tomjas said:

As an Australian, I really don’t see the logic behind having a foreign major here 

Sure, make the Australian Open an elevated event and part of the PGAT but a major?

Don’t see it

Thanks for the input.  Really interesting.  I would have thought that an Open or PGA would work in Oz but I defer to you.  I'm a huge fans of your wonderful courses full disclosure.

11 hours ago, ChrisATL said:

But look at it this way - we got Blockie instead!!! 😂

Yes! And for me, I like seeing Block and the club pros. More LIV players would add nothing. There were plenty. Talor Gooch got his start after extended whining and all we heard was how well he was playing coming in. He finished 60th. I think I saw him on TV once. He can’t contend. The handful of LIV players who can actually compete did get in. Bryson, Rahm, Cam Smith, Nieman, Koepka, Hatton, a few others. I’m glad they were there, but no need for more. A lot of the guys on that tour are well past their prime. Should call it the Assisted LIV Tour. Give me Block over Sergio Garcia any day. The cut list seems to have a lot of big names on it with those club pros, including Rahm and Mickelson. 

No way this course hosts another major, and it’s not because of the Louisville Police Department’s harsh view of driving on the median. (I still say

the fact that the police could not sort this out at the scene and release Scheffler is appalling. And to make it worse they piled on bogus charges because one cop lost his cool. How it was handled goes down as a failure of leadership.)

They’re not coming back to this obsolete layout. Many of the greens have a narrow, sideways design and are small. On the radio they said the par 5 greens are much smaller than other venues and were made that way to accept wedge shots because they weren’t expected to be reachable in two. The winning score was 21 under, like an old Houston Open. Valhalla will host golf events but probably not a PGA Tour event. For majors, this was the finale. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

11 minutes ago, StoutKing said:

Thanks for the input.  Really interesting.  I would have thought that an Open or PGA would work in Oz but I defer to you.  I'm a huge fans of your wonderful courses full disclosure.

It would be a massive success here but I just don’t see the logic for either the R & A or the PGA as they can play those events on any course in their home markets for similar returns without the upheaval/controversy associated with moving them to the other side of the world 

2 hours ago, redfirebird08 said:

Hmm.  What season would they play it in?  Southern hemisphere winter may be a bit too too cold even for the Open in July (average of 56 high 42 low); February is 80/57.