2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Lexi to Retire End of 2024 Season

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

This talented young lady almost made a PGA Tour cut last year in Las Vegas and beat some guys handily.  High 150s ball speeds, 300+ yard drives and under par scores on a big boy tract.  She definitely should've won more.  

She should have easily won more, her putting held her back big time. And the fact that she constantly got asked about it I think wore her down mentally. Just something she couldn't overcome. Tough life being exposed to the public/media all the time.

I followed her at the Chevron Championship and she looked like she didn't even want to be there.

Hope she finds peace in her life or whatever it is she's looking for. She deserves it for sure!!!!

Edited by SEP1006

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   LAB MEZZ MAX Blue head w/white Accra

LAB MEZZ MAX Red head w/black Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

Hope she finds what’s she is looking for!

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 Core 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5TX Hulk

TaylorMade SIM Max 12 HZRDUS Black 4Gen 60 6.0

Srixon ZX4 MkII 4 iron Nippon Modus 105X

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5-PW Nippon Modus 105X

Cleveland RTX 48 DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX 6 52 & 56 DG120 X100

Cleveland Full Face 60 DG Spinner

Bettinardi BB28

9 hours ago, chillybilly said:

Good luck and appreciation to LT.

This development does illustrate (again) a seemingly intractable problem for the LPGA Tour ie that its members - including some of the most prominent ones - may decide to pursue other avenues in life even when still competitive, physically capable etc.

Individual decisions are just that but they must make things more difficult for the Tour and TV outlets in terms of marketing.

I agree. Two things first, One, I don't know why Lexi is retiring and two, I'm a big fan whatever she decides. She owes me and golf nothing.

However, I do have a special respect for those golfers who balance their job and home life like us regular people. 

For example Julie Inkster (grinder, mother, made it work, walk and chew gum) vs Lorena Ochoa (just up and left). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, chillybilly said:

This development does illustrate (again) a seemingly intractable problem for the LPGA Tour ie that its members - including some of the most prominent ones - may decide to pursue other avenues in life even when still competitive, physically capable etc.

I did a mini-study of peak ages for golf major winners (both ages, last 10 years inclusive) earlier this month.

Women peak at age 25, vs. 30 for men (that latter figure has apparently gone down a year or so, note, as compared to earlier eras).  In my sample only two women won after age 31.  For men it was 14.  5 female teenage winners-men haven't had that happen since Young Tom Morris (Francis Ouimet won at age 20 and 4  months).

That 2021 US Open was wrenching to watch.  Hope she has a happy post-full-time life.

Edited by Birdman62
  • Like 1

"retiring" doesn't seem to be the right word at her age.  Perhaps she'll get into broadcasting.  Doubt she'll contend this week, but best of luck to her whatever she does.  She really got robbed when she got hit with 4 penalty strokes for an inconsequential infraction a day later that essentially required a microscope to see.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

"retiring" doesn't seem to be the right word at her age.  Perhaps she'll get into broadcasting.  Doubt she'll contend this week, but best of luck to her whatever she does.  She really got robbed when she got hit with 4 penalty strokes for an inconsequential infraction a day later that essentially required a microscope to see.  

Not really an inconsequential infraction.  It also could have been seen without a microscope; I saw it live and thought it looked funny, although I am not the one who called in.

I do think the time at which the 4-shot penalty was issued was "wrong" (even if in compliance with the rules), and I believe that has since been corrected.  

Despite being a big SYR fan, I don't really think she won this tournament.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, shankz said:

Men can play golf forever but not surprising for women to retire and start a family and have children. 

Yes, exactly. Let the players go to different priorities. Most elite athletes are pretty intelligent and can easily transition into successful. second careers. And as I've said on a few occasions, when you start at 5 or 7 in sport or music or dance or whatever and develop skills on the elite level, it takes a lot out of you and by age 30 you've probably been fully committed for 25 years, plus some injuries on the way. That's a long time. Elite performers burn out. They may go through the motions but the fire is no longer burning bright. I used to see a lot of burnout as a performance psychologist - it's common, but performers don't talk about it except in private. 

I don't buy the idea that losing famous names "harms the tour". For a start it's embarrassing to see famous names missing the cut again and again. What good does that do? I think the tour can and does survive perfectly well on new talent. The mix of exciting new players like Rose and established 20-somethings like Nelly is quite enough. Let the famous names go gracefully. Yes, they left us some cherished memories, but they have new lives calling to them. Let them go. 

• Like 1

Lexi's last LPGA win was in 2019.  While maybe not up to "top player" standards/expectations, she played quite well in 2021-2022 with 7 2nds and 7 other Top 10s.  She's certainly one with a ton of natural talent, which also seems to be evident in her play late last year.  Still, unfortunately injuries and/or desire fading means the end comes quickly in professional sports.

Some of her interview points are pretty good. At the same time, star athletes need to understand the reason they get paid a ton of money is because their victories and positive aspects are also under a microscope / broadcast everywhere for all to enjoy.  I think it is incorrect to expect all of the praise and none of the criticism; this applies outside of sports too (at the end of the day, it's a do or don't world).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, m d g said:

She's going into the sod business.

I have never seen, on any tour, someone who takes such massive divots.

I'm surprised she hasn't needed major wrist surgery : )

Ian Woosnam is on Line One and would like a word!  😄  😄  😄 

Kidding, Lexi does get down after the ball.  I have enjoyed watching her play and I am happy for her.  Being able to go out when YOU want to, whatever that looks like, is a gift that very few people enjoy.

I understand the timing of the announcement, but it does mean the coverage will bring it up every 30 seconds, doesn't it?  I can hear it now:  "Here's Nelly Korda for birdie in Lexi Thompson's final US Open as a full-time LPGA member..."

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Good move on her part. She will be back in a few years so go enjoy the other stuff for awhile. 

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

Taking bets on how many times that super annoying Morgan Pressel mentions this.

• Haha 3

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   LAB MEZZ MAX Blue head w/white Accra

LAB MEZZ MAX Red head w/black Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

7 hours ago, Titleist_PT23 said:

Not really an inconsequential infraction.  It also could have been seen without a microscope; I saw it live and thought it looked funny, although I am not the one who called in.

I do think the time at which the 4-shot penalty was issued was "wrong" (even if in compliance with the rules), and I believe that has since been corrected.  

Despite being a big SYR fan, I don't really think she won this tournament.  

Off topic, but given the circumstances, I half expected syr to intentionally hit a bad shot to lose the playoff.

Posted (edited)

It is an indicator of a problem with the LPGA tour, it's just not very lucrative for players that aren't near the top of the money list. LPGA players have complained that even when they make the cut they may not make enough to cover expenses. Someone like Lexi can probably make as much if not more money off the course when you factor in all of the tour expenses (caddie, coach, travel), and not have to deal with the week to week stress of playing tournaments.

Edited by AzRoger
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just curious, so people think being great with the fans allows one to be snappy with the media, light up a tournament/sponsor, and cause all of your competitors to not have their clubs because you forgot your passport?  

I'd also ask how many people ever saw her play outside of the US?  Quite a different story.

Anyways, best of luck to Lexi this week and the rest of the year.

Edited by Titleist_PT23
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Seems like she's had her fill of the week in and week out grind. Don't blame her on bit. 

I don't get this. The "week in week out grind" is the definition of professional life. Many of us learn to survive it for longer, one way or another, and maintain enthusiasm for our work. It's golf, yet you make it all sound so depressing! I admit though that competitive sport at this level requires a certain edge, that makes the difference between top-10 and below the cut line. An edge that very few can maintain excepting Annika and Tiger. But still, a really nice line of work if you're good enough.

Edited by Raving Shanker
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Raving Shanker said:

I don't get this. The "week in week out grind" is the definition of professional life. Many of us learn to survive it for longer, one way or another, and maintain enthusiasm for our work. It's golf, yet you make it all sound so depressing! I admit though that competitive sport at this level requires a certain edge, that makes the difference between top-10 and below the cut line. An edge that very few can maintain excepting Annika and Tiger. But still, a really nice line of work if you're good enough.

Its easier when you're Top 10-ing and winning every so often.  She hasn't won in quite some time.  If your work is showing results as a journeyman (person :)) then you might hang on, but she's won a dozen times and won a major.  It's a grind when the work you're putting in doesn't show any results, especially at the highest levels.  I'd probably get burned out and take a step back too,

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

3 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

really?  I think most of us aren't on tour/on the road every week we do our job unless you're a consultant.   If she could do her job (golf) where she lives week in and week out, my guess is she wouldn't be burned out and would happily continue playing.

Good for her. She's a great talent and she's lucky to be able to enjoy her 30s on her terms.

• Like 2

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

The panel on TGC just mentioned a good point, I think, that the LPGA is especially grinding because of all of the international travel: U.S., Europe, and Asia, during the season. That's got to take a toll. 

I wish Lexi all the best. She's been a wonderful competitor and ambassador, not only for the LPGA, but for all of golf. I wish more players on both tours were more like her. 

• Like 4

Ping ISI irons 6-PW
Ping J-Blade putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W

TM Rescue Hybrid 23*
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

Slightly curious timing but I expect it's a relief to make it public. Good luck to her.

Ping G425 Max 10.5° @ 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 65 X
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3w 15° Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70 X

Srixon ZX Mk II Utility 3 20° @ 19° Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S

Srixon ZX Mk II Utility 4 23° @ 22° Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 5 - P Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 50.08F, 54.10S & 58.08M
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

17 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Isn't that the basic definition of a professional career. Baseball players, doctors, lawyers, business owners, police, politicians...

Most of us in those careers didn't start working as a real job with sponsors and such at age 15.  We may have fantasized about it but we had time to make adult decisions later.  In the womens' pro game much more than the mens' an adolescent prodigy can compete successfully against an adult field.