2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

T200 , 790 users …. I need your help …. A lot

quine

I also tried the i525 during my fitting as the i530 wasn’t available and it just didn’t work for me despite me playing pings for 14 years. Best thing you can do is go for a fitting at a reputable fitter, then either purchase clubs from them or take the results and find what you’re looking for second hand. 

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport Two
Titleist pro v1x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

7 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I also tried the i525 during my fitting as the i530 wasn’t available and it just didn’t work for me despite me playing pings for 14 years. Best thing you can do is go for a fitting at a reputable fitter, then either purchase clubs from them or take the results and find what you’re looking for second hand. 

Recently, Ping is going high VCOG while Taylormade, Titleist, Callaway, Srixon and Mizuno are going low VCOG in their designs.  Personal preference of course:

https://www.golfworks.com/head-mpf-ratings/ 

Ping G430 Max 10K Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 6-GW irons

Cleveland CBX4 52, Smart Sole 4.0 58 wedges
Axis1 Rose putter

I have the original P790 and current T200. P790 are notably more forgiving, but more one dimensional for shot-making. Short irons in T200 are far nicer, a combo set of P790 and P770 would cure that. I'd class both T200 and P790 as being low spin, shaft choice is important. Not tried them but PXG have some options that review well this year too.

• Like 1

Interesting to hear all the love for the P790's.  I have to say I was completely underwhelmed by them last year, probably traded them within 1 to 2 months.  And I have had just abut every iteration of the 790 since they were launched.   This version just seemed much harder off the face, I didn't get a good response on the feel.   Beyond that there was nothing that stood out distance or accuracy wise to make up for that.   I have been very happy with the 3 models I've played since then as mentioned, the Wilson DP Forged, 2023 T200 and currently the I530.  

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I had the T200 up to a few weeks ago and traded them in for the P790 when TM was doing the 150% trade in deal. The T200's are great sticks and they look so nice in the bag. But for me they just weren't doing it. Like when I flushed one I didn't see the result that I felt.  So I went with the P790's and they offer just a bit more forgiveness and seem to have a little more pop when the ball comes off the face. I also went with a lighter shaft in the 790's which I think is helping too but is also a bit of an adjustment. If you want the more forgiving model, IMO its the P790's but that isnt to say the T200 are not forgiving, just not as much. My .02

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Interesting to hear all the love for the P790's.  I have to say I was completely underwhelmed by them last year, probably traded them within 1 to 2 months.  And I have had just abut every iteration of the 790 since they were launched.   This version just seemed much harder off the face, I didn't get a good response on the feel.   Beyond that there was nothing that stood out distance or accuracy wise to make up for that.   I have been very happy with the 3 models I've played since then as mentioned, the Wilson DP Forged, 2023 T200 and currently the I530.  

No worries with that--different strokes and all. That said, after doing the trade-in bonus last year for the '21 P790, and then another trade-in bonus this year for the '23 P790, I can't seem to kick one of those sets out of the bag. I have given many different sets a run, but keep ending up back in the P790s. They just look good to me, the turf interaction works for me, they are forgiving enough, and I have no issues with spin (or lack thereof).

I thought I was leaning '21 for awhile (perhaps having played those longer), but I now think the '23 are slightly better and are in my bag. YMMV. I would very much like to try the i530 (different style, but I did not get along with the i210 at all for whatever reason).

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD HD-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash TC 5 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘23 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

PXG Battle Ready 2 One & Done PN Putter

On 6/29/2024 at 4:03 PM, quine said:

So, background.  65 years old was a scratch till around 60.  Severe wrist injury at 60 that’s inoperable so I’m hitting the ball nowhere it seems.  Purchased the 245s  thinking they were “the ones” but they weren’t .  Beautiful clubs but I’ve come to the realization slowly that I need more help then they provide.     So,  im

back where I started from.  Between the 790 and t200 which from your experience has the biggest profile (heel to toe) and can help me the most with launch and spin.   Im

open to weakening lofts to reduce offset and adding spin but It’s hard to realize that age and injuries are making what was once a pretty easy game for me … hard.   Thanks in advance.   

I have read through your posts and can't really figure out what you are looking for..

Sounds like Looks? Distance? accuracy?

Now in my 60's and coming from blades a few years back I wanted something that looked comparable..

I have really scouted the T200's because I liked the looks tried several times hitting and then 2 fitters and they were just underwhelming...

Got fitted at Club champion and tried all the players distance Irons including T200's a few years ago and settled on 2019 P790's w Steelfibers FC 90's... ( Ping hollow body came in second)... They play great...I gained 10+ yds w 790s all irons (4-GW) Happy as could be, no issues....

Then last season I was messing around in my local golf store and chatting with the guys there and hitting a few clubs told them always looking for more distance with control...They said you won't believe the Forged Tec X...And they were right...Best Irons I have played. A little chunky, but not overwhelming like the huge GI irons..

Bought them (4-GW) and had them bent to my specs w/ recoil 90's and have never looked back since, they have been super productive and not to clunky...

Looking at Cool Clubs reviews with Iron Byron there are only 3 clubs that I saw that 7 irons that hit 170+ distance wise @ 80MPH club speed...

Calloway Smoke AI

PXG 0311XP

Cobra Forged TecX

https://coolclubs.com/iron-reviews/

Edit - The Forged Tec X also added an additional 5-10 yds

Edited by Badshaft

7 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

No worries with that--different strokes and all. That said, after doing the trade-in bonus last year for the '21 P790, and then another trade-in bonus this year for the '23 P790, I can't seem to kick one of those sets out of the bag. I have given many different sets a run, but keep ending up back in the P790s. They just look good to me, the turf interaction works for me, they are forgiving enough, and I have no issues with spin (or lack thereof).

I thought I was leaning '21 for awhile (perhaps having played those longer), but I now think the '23 are slightly better and are in my bag. YMMV. I would very much like to try the i530 (different style, but I did not get along with the i210 at all for whatever reason).

Oh the 790’s ate great clubs.  I have several friends playing and loving them.  
And I really liked ny previous set.   I could chalk the short fime with the new ones to just  not the right club at the right time.   Im sute I’ll try the 2025 version when it comes out 😬

• Like 1

Vokey

So, to clarify what I’m looking for.   An iron that a decent golfer battered with injuries and age can play.  Something that still meets my eye  (clean, little offset, ) but can help to launch, spin, etc because it’s getting harder to do that without the help. A larger profile for confidence.    Probably not unique to me,  but an iron that plays easy but still looks like a players iron.   In my opinion, the irons I should be playing (game improvement) are so far away from

whst I’ve played in the past,  it’s just hard to go that route.  I need to find a fitter, builder to compare obviously .  Hard to make sense on looks and reading reviews .  But I really appreciate peoples opinions abd experiences .  Thanks 

I've owned both sets - owned '21 T200s for a season and the P790s for a week.

The T200s are long enough and are much more accurate and consistent with great green stopping spin but the sound/feel on mishits got on my nerves. I found that the T100s played very similar but with better feel/sound if you want a more compact head.

So, I'm an older player with issues as well.  Now I want all out distance no matter the specs or the offset, enter the original Srixon SX4 irons.  I'm working on my swing to account for the offset and mine some distance; hopefully, this experiment works.

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice.

12 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Sort of a thread jack, but could provide useful info: did you find the short irons shorter on the ‘23s vs the ‘21s? That was a concern with some of the videos. 

6 hours ago, JDIL said:

Sort of a thread jack, but could provide useful info: did you find the short irons shorter on the ‘23s vs the ‘21s? That was a concern with some of the videos. 

Haven’t seen anything like that to be honest. Very similar between the two gens in all respects.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD HD-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash TC 5 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘23 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

PXG Battle Ready 2 One & Done PN Putter

I have a T200 4 iron in the bag. I think it’s an excellent club, so much better than all the other t200s that have been released. It definitely feels a little clicky almost like a thud when it’s centered but I get a nice straight ball flight most of the time. It’s also super forgiving. Hit one pretty toey the other day and it was still front left of green. Haven’t hit the p790 to compare but I’d assume the 790 maybe feels slightly better. Definitely give the T200 a try though really good club 

I've played the T200, p790 and p770 on my 4-iron (I hit it 220) and for me I think the t200 is the best of them.  Great distance, good spin, feels great, sets up nicely.  P790 I had no control, distance was great (230-240) but bounced off hard greens.  Also, the top line was too thick for my eye.  P770 was also very nice.  To be fair, different shafts for all the irons I played.  I think T200 may have a tighter dispersion than the p770, albeit minor.  I've played with both sets but prefer the feel, the look, and the ball flight with the T200.

6 hours ago, ldh692002 said:

Check out the Wilson  dynapower forged irons. Best of both worlds 

100% agree with this. The I530 have temporarily put my DP Forged on the bench.  But they really are the best of both worlds. 

• Like 1

Vokey

On 6/29/2024 at 5:03 PM, quine said:

So, background.  65 years old was a scratch till around 60.  Severe wrist injury at 60 that’s inoperable so I’m hitting the ball nowhere it seems.  Purchased the 245s  thinking they were “the ones” but they weren’t .  Beautiful clubs but I’ve come to the realization slowly that I need more help then they provide.     So,  im

back where I started from.  Between the 790 and t200 which from your experience has the biggest profile (heel to toe) and can help me the most with launch and spin.   Im

open to weakening lofts to reduce offset and adding spin but It’s hard to realize that age and injuries are making what was once a pretty easy game for me … hard.   Thanks in advance.   

How much help do you need with spin?  The problem is that all of the fast face irons REMOVE spin.  I have yet to see one in a like for like loft with even a ZX7(which was the lowest spinning solid head I found) to have more spin, all had less spin and some by a large amount.

I am 48, almost 49.  I played Div1 college golf and a couple of US AM's and state ams.  Unfortunately wrist surgery and now a almost arthritic condition in both wrists that is just anti-inflammatories and pain mgmt my SS has dropped, and by more than I care to account.  I am two clubs shorter than I was pre injury, it only shows up as one because of the loft creep.  My handicap has also crept up 5 spots from a +1.2 to a 4. I used to be able to play P790's and similar clubs because I spun the ball borderline too much.  Now I cannot, and as much as I would like my old distances back I hate the lower spin on all of the flexible face irons as fliers happen all too easily in places they do not with normal irons.

When distance goes you have three options.  

1. Move up a tee box

2. Continue to play the way you are

3. Change your approach with new equipment.

I have 3 where it is because it will take the most discipline, but as a former scratch you should have it.  You will NOT be able to take the same lines with the same clubs with the drop in spin the new flexible face irons have.  This pin you used to be able to fly a 9 iron at, new clubs are an 8 and the rollout puts you back to middle of the green type of stuff. So you have to choose your targets more carefully and won't hit as many great shots, especially to front pins. Most approach shots will be at the middle of the green. You will have to be SUPER disciplined on cleaning out your grooves.

===

I had a first gen set of P790's and still have a T200 5 iron head laying around my shop somewhere.  I could send it to you cheap if you want to throw a shaft in it to see how it goes, just let me know.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4-iron Srixon ZX4 - Ventus Axiom 105 X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I appreciate the honesty.  And yeah, I’m working on all three of your points.  Moving up tee decks etc. i played a course recently where back in the day I hit a one iron off the tee on a long, tight par 4 .  Now I’m up a deck or 2, hitting driver short of that same line and don’t carry anything lower then a 6 iron.   I self admittedly have tried to “buy back” some years and injuries with an equipment search .    I get it … .    Thanks 

9 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

100% agree with this. The I530 have temporarily put my DP Forged on the bench.  But they really are the best of both worlds. 

I switched from i525 to Wilson staff cb with dynapower forged for the 5,6 irons 

Ping G30 LS 9* tour 65X
Ping Rapture D.I. 18
Ping G25 3-PW CFS X
Ping Glide (50,54,58) CFS Wedge
Ping Anser TR 5