2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

When Did You Finally Decide… For the Tinkerers

snowmangolf

This post is probably gonna make some people laugh and some people roll their eyes. I thought it would be fun to hear some stories and personal experiences. 

I’ve never played competitive golf. Just recreational golf with friends. But I am extremely competitive with myself and my game. For about two years, I have tried, bought, traded and sold probably somewhere around 40-50 putters. I’ve seen so many posts and comments talking/joking about finding “the one”. The process is fun most of the time and I’ve learned a lot throughout it all. 

I’ve had my fair share of honeymoon phases, regret for selling certain putters, and rounds where I’ve asked myself “why the hell did I think this would work???”. I’ve missed some 3 footers, made some 20 footers and everything in between. 

I’m kind of at a point where the infatuation is gone and I’m trying to settle down into a putter I will stick with. The point of this post is to ask others when the tinkering kind of died off and you finally ended up settling on something. 

When and why did it happen? Financial reasons? Actually finding “the one”? Picking up a new hobby/infatuation? 

Which putter did you finally settle on? How many days/months/years until you settled down?

Driver:           45" Titleist TSR3 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X 
Fairway:        Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Mitsubishi 1K Black 75g X
Hybrid:          Titleist TSR2 4 Hybrid Mitsubishi 1k Black 85g X

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 Modus 105x
Wedges:       Blue Mizuno T24 50/56/60 
Putter:           LAB Golf Blue 37" CB DF3 w/ White Accra Shaft

Ball:               Pro V1/MaxFli Tour
Bag:               VESSEL Grey Player III Stand   

I think for a lot of guys myself included it usually comes when a putter is fit and made for them. Seems to be a little extra confidence and extra comfort. Now you might get some guys saying that's all pointless but they're more lost than anything. 

I'm also not saying I won't ever change cause I probably will cause I like putters. I just see no reason to switch. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

When you find the right one. I had the right one in the bag 10 years. Then that bag got stolen. 

For the past 6 years I've been searching. I'm pretty settled now but have a Toulon Vegas to try as well.

• Like 1

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

I think I’m close. For me it’s because it’s been customized/fit but also works. I’m about done tinkering with putters that I find interesting or worth trying because I get no where. I do like to try new putters and give them a proper go on course to see how they perform. 

There is a putter that I’m most likely going to get very soon that I’ve tested really well with on multiple occasions. I guess you could say I’ve slept on it for months 😂

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max 9° - Denali Blue 60 6.5

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15°, 20° - Denali Black 70 6.0

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

LAB Mezz.1 Max Counterbalance

Titleist Pro V1

I always like checking out new equipment, but only change things out if there's something to gain by doing so.  Once you're fit for something, unless you drastically change your mechanics or some sort of tech comes to help things along, there's very little reason to change it, because it ain't the club. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

If you’ve played that many putters and have given at least half of them a fair shake in practice/ on course, then I’m sure you know which ones are “the ones.” The ones that fit you best where the putting is easy. The ball ends up around the cup more often than not. Lines are good. Distance control is good. For me, my #1 performing putter is a stock 2nd gen Scotty Phantom mallet. I can also use the TM Spider Tour. DF3? No problem. Yet… I’m placing all of that aside to play a blade 😂

• Haha 1

I LOVE this sort of discussion.  It sheds light on how quirky we are as golfers and how much fun there is to be had in world of putters.

I was an above average amateur player, maybe a 2 hdcp at my best.   I rolled an 8802-style Wilson for 13 years and never dreamed of changing.  As a kid, I was thrilled to have the putter I did and nobody I knew was any sort of an equipment junkie.......(for reference, I am now 57).  Then, about 25 years ago, my 8802 went ice cold in a 2-Man Best Ball tournament with my dad.   It was in Idaho and when I returned to Arizona, that one went into the closet and the craziness began.  As a conservative estimate, I have probably changed putters 2-300 times since then.   Mallets, blades, Bullseyes, Zebras, and a ton of stuff in between has played a role in my bag. 

So, those 25 years have gone by, I have not played in 2 years and I'd bet if I get my chance to become a golfer again, the cycle will continue. 

If you love change, change often.  If you seek uniformity, the putter will find you and you will stop looking.  If you have 50 putters at home, they all deserve at least 18 holes.......right?

It's a love of the game thing and like I said, I LOVE reading you guys' theories and feelings on this topic.  

Please keep it up.

LaMont in AZ

• Like 4

Ironically the one I spent the most money on. I never planned to “collect it” but I made sure to take great care of it. Just in case things “didn’t go well.” Fast forward maybe 6 months and while I still take care of it, I finally stopped looking at other putters. It’s funny because it’s the exact same head style I have played for years just a bit more of a limited run. It also made it easier to “justify” since it ain’t going anywhere now! 

I've played the same Rossie White Hot since I had a bag stolen 20 odd years ago (at that time I was using a Ping B60 after using an Anser 3 for a good while). The last few years my putting was lacking and I switched it up here and there, but I'm pretty well back to the Rossie. However, I've acquired a few putters that I keep on hand, just to roll the ball now and then.

There is one that I honestly keep coming back to - An old, yet timeless Mizuno 9001 blade with a nice leather grip. It feels so nice in my hands and I spend the majority of my time practicing with it. When it comes to playing, I still take the Rossie. It is so solid from 5 feet and in. I don't seem to miss many that I should make.

I was looking at an AI 2-ball the other day though.

I think the most important thing with putting is confidence (I know, real out of the box statement). But, we have to be determined to make putts and the only way to do that is to actually practice. When I put in the time, there comes a point where I have developed a feel for line and distance so that I know what the ball is going to do - then it comes down the greens. Give me pure greens with enough slope that I can see the line...

I re-read Bob Rotella’s putting book the other week and it reminded me that really the putter doesnt matter as much as I may think. A bad stroke with any putter is a bad putt, a good stroke is a good stroke.

2 years ago I moved abroad and took only 1 putter, my custom anser style with my name stamped. I vowed for that to be my only putter for the next 10 years. But if of course, a few missed short putts here and there meant I now have 5 putters and having this choice is stressing my out..! Too much choice.

Ive now gone back to the blade and improved my mechanics. The other putters will be getting sold, albeit will probably keep the x5.5 to have a mallet as a back up. 

Two putters and less stress, but importantly I love my custom blade. 

(I might tinker with grips to get it just perfect though) 

Most usually decide on whatever they have in their hands when it all "clicks" for them or they finally "get it."  It was never about the putter, but all about them, but they did not really know it.

Until then, many on here seem to rotate around their harem.  ...maybe add or sell one here or there.

There are some that can putt with any tool and they just like to change it up.  I mostly use my Laguna, but I have some other putters that I take out from time to time.  I putt the same with them.  BB1F that has too much milling for me.  Studio Designs 1.5 which I hate the slant plumbers neck, but love the looks of the finish.  8802 which is classic and it freaks my friend out to see it work - they seem to think that it is outdated trash but I put better with it than they do.  TP Mills custom which looks and feels great but I don't want to get it nicked up.  I guess that these are more of side-pieces than in the rotation.

14 hours ago, golfluvzme said:

So, those 25 years have gone by, I have not played in 2 years and I'd bet if I get my chance to become a golfer again, the cycle will continue. 

wait..so you stopped playing 2 years ago but youre still around here ?? Im not knocking you, or even questioning how you spend your free time. in fact, i very much admire what youre doing.

But to me, if i ever stopped playing (not due to injuries or personal reasons) that means i lost interest in the game., And to be away from the game for 2 whole years, its very hard for me to believe i would still be hanging around the forum. Very curious to hear why???

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

I’ve always considered myself to be a decent putter, and I’ve also always liked to tinker and switch out what I’ve had. I booked a fitting with Artisan for a couple weeks from now in hopes that it crosses out the tinkering itch. My thought is that if I have a perfectly fit putter there’s no point in tinkering anymore. We will see if that logic holds up lol. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Wilson Staff Model RB Utility (3 or 4?) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 90

Wilson Dynapower Forged 5-G UST Recoil Dart 105

Wilson Staff Model ZM 56°-12° (Bent to 55°) and 60°-06° 

Royal Payne RP009 359g KBS GPS

... While all the other clubs in my bag are subject to change, as @MountainKing said if there is something to gain. That could be just a better look at address, a better feel/sound or simple curiosity. But the putting stroke is a product of repetition and confidence. I think there is a balance to every putter and once you find one that fits your stroke it is easy to repeat, every other putter feels at least a little different to radically different. Which I guess is the point for some. Confidence comes from within based on success but some look for confidence externally with a new putter. That confidence will never last of course so it isn't a marriage, it is a series of affairs. Then of course for some it's just fun to try new clubs, especially putters. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra Aerojet 20* 7 wood* ... Kai'Li 70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/49*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

4 hours ago, bunta said:

wait..so you stopped playing 2 years ago but youre still around here ?? Im not knocking you, or even questioning how you spend your free time. in fact, i very much admire what youre doing.

But to me, if i ever stopped playing (not due to injuries or personal reasons) that means i lost interest in the game., And to be away from the game for 2 whole years, its very hard for me to believe i would still be hanging around the forum. Very curious to hear why???

Cause he's making putters for us sickos. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I thank the guys in this thread for eating the initial depreciation for the community 

Edited by Phabs
  • Haha 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I have about 14-15 putters currently and have had as many as 40 at times. More so because I like putters and have been fortunate enough to putt pretty good no matter what I chose to play. With that being said from the late 80’s to whenever Ping released their Redwood line I used a stainless Zing 2 for 99% of my rounds. I bought a Redwood Zing in the black nickel and until about three years ago that was used 99% of the time. Then I got it in my head that maybe I could putt better with something else and it has been a putter carousel until recently, using whatever from my stable that looked good to me at the time. Up and down putting forced me to think about what I was doing and maybe settle on one putter. So I gave each putter a chance to go through some tests I’d set up…

1-most makes in a row from 3 ft at four spots around hole

2- 6 ft

3- 10 ft

4- most inside 2’ circle from 20’ out of 10 attempts 

5- most inside 3’ circle from 30’ out of 10 attempts 

6- 3 or better (it’s a game I use to practice) quickest to complete each direction 

the winner was my Karsten Craz-E and it really wasn’t that close. So that’s how I came to the conclusion that this is the one.

• Like 2

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter