2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

Our foursome is heading to Phoenix for our annual 4 days of golf from Feb 10 to 13. A broker has a round at SunRidge Canyon in Fountain Hills available for $100. Our group has played most of the decent but not outrageously priced courses in the area but not SunRidge. We'll also likely play Wickenburg Ranch and Longbow which we've played before. How would SunRidge compare? Thanks!

Seems Scottsdale has some awesome two course locations.

Forced to play only one of the two courses at each place which would you choose? -

Troon North Pinnacle or Monument,

WeKoPa Saguaro/Cholla,

Talking Stick Oodham/Priidaash,

Grayhawk Raptor/Talon.

TPC Stadium/ Champions

Boulders North/South.

Have I missed any other good places with two courses?

If you're literally sticking to Scottsdale only and not the whole Valley then you likely only left off Camelback Ambiente/Padre. That said, Wildfire (Palmer/Faldo) is so close to Scottsdale that I'd include it as well. I'd also say that only two of them would be even a slightly difficult choice.

The easy winners:

Pinnacle

Saguaro

Oodham (I think that's the one that used to be "North")

Raptor

Stadium

Ambiente

The tougher choices:

Boulders South... or North, it really doesn't matter at this point. The courses are both just neighborhood courses these days. I guess South for a visitor has a few cooler rocks

Wildfire-I think probably Faldo here but It is close. They are very different and each has good and bad things.

Note: I think Monument is better than nearly all of the first choices I listed with the exception of Saguaro and Raptor.

Very interesting, thank you.

Have you been able to play any of the private courses around Scottsdale and if so how would you compare them?

eg Desert Forest, Desert Mountain, Desert Highlands, Troon CC, Estancia, Whisper Rock and others??

Do any of them take out-of-town visitors? Probably expensive too.

Seems to me you would have a pretty good week's roster with Troon, Wekopa, Grayhawk, AkChin, TPC and Talking Stick.

Seems Scottsdale has some awesome two course locations.

Forced to play only one of the two courses at each place which would you choose? -

Troon North Pinnacle or Monument,

WeKoPa Saguaro/Cholla,

Talking Stick Oodham/Priidaash,

Grayhawk Raptor/Talon.

TPC Stadium/ Champions

Boulders North/South.

Have I missed any other good places with two courses?

If you're literally sticking to Scottsdale only and not the whole Valley then you likely only left off Camelback Ambiente/Padre. That said, Wildfire (Palmer/Faldo) is so close to Scottsdale that I'd include it as well. I'd also say that only two of them would be even a slightly difficult choice.

The easy winners:

Pinnacle

Saguaro

Oodham (I think that's the one that used to be "North")

Raptor

Stadium

Ambiente

The tougher choices:

Boulders South... or North, it really doesn't matter at this point. The courses are both just neighborhood courses these days. I guess South for a visitor has a few cooler rocks

Wildfire-I think probably Faldo here but It is close. They are very different and each has good and bad things.

Note: I think Monument is better than nearly all of the first choices I listed with the exception of Saguaro and Raptor.

Very interesting, thank you.

Have you been able to play any of the private courses around Scottsdale and if so how would you compare them?

eg Desert Forest, Desert Mountain, Desert Highlands, Troon CC, Estancia, Whisper Rock and others??

Do any of them take out-of-town visitors? Probably expensive too.

Seems to me you would have a pretty good week's roster with Troon, Wekopa, Grayhawk, AkChin, TPC and Talking Stick.

Yes, moat many times as I am a member at two and live at another. None of them will take outside play without a call from a club that is similar.

Our foursome is heading to Phoenix for our annual 4 days of golf from Feb 10 to 13. A broker has a round at SunRidge Canyon in Fountain Hills available for $100. Our group has played most of the decent but not outrageously priced courses in the area but not SunRidge. We'll also likely play Wickenburg Ranch and Longbow which we've played before. How would SunRidge compare? Thanks!

I hate sunridge especially for High handicaps. Very targety

Agreed...but if you set the ego aside and play up a tee box or two(combo), it can be ok.

Sun ridge is a little too gimmicky for my taste. It has some good holes and pretty scenic from what I remember but I prefer longbow and for sure wickenburg

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Coming down March 28-April 5th to visit my parents in Florence AZ where I plan on playing Poston Butte a few times. Im only playing once up North so trying to decide between playing Troon North Pinnacle or We-Ko-Pa Saguaro. Which one?

Also how is Sewailo? My dad likes it since he got an Ace there :) but is that worth playing? Also he may be able to get on the gallery course with his Troon card, but not 100% on that.

Thanks

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

Coming down March 28-April 5th to visit my parents in Florence AZ where I plan on playing Poston Butte a few times. Im only playing once up North so trying to decide between playing Troon North Pinnacle or We-Ko-Pa Saguaro. Which one?

Also how is Sewailo? My dad likes it since he got an Ace there :) but is that worth playing? Also he may be able to get on the gallery course with his Troon card, but not 100% on that.

Thanks

Is the Gallery still Troon managed?

Thanks

Is the Gallery still Troon managed?

I have no idea :) that’s why I’m not sure!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]

Thanks

Pinnacle & saguaro are both excellent and in my top 20 courses I’ve ever played. What are you looking for?

Sewailo is good but not amazing. It was Begay’s first design & it shows. Excellent greens.

Not sure if the gallery is still troon, unfortunately private. Let me know if they let you on with troon card b/c I might but I like the gallery that much but I doubt it will work. Both are excellent but the Pinehurst like green complexes on the south are special imho

My rankings of the courses you mentioned:

Pinnacle

Saguaro

Gallery south

Gallery north

Sewailo

Poston butte

I also love dove Mtn in Marana. But it’s challenging & Nicklaus

Thanks

Pinnacle & saguaro are both excellent and in my top 20 courses I’ve ever played. What are you looking for?

Sewailo is good but not amazing. It was Begay’s first design & it shows. Excellent greens.

Not sure if the gallery is still troon, unfortunately private. Let me know if they let you on with troon card b/c I might but I like the gallery that much but I doubt it will work. Both are excellent but the Pinehurst like green complexes on the south are special imho

My rankings of the courses you mentioned:

Pinnacle

Saguaro

Gallery south

Gallery north

Sewailo

Poston butte

I also love dove Mtn in Marana. But it’s challenging & Nicklaus

I know probably couldn’t go wrong with Troon North or saguaro. I will eventually play both but this trip not sure which one I should play. Heard nothing but good things about both courses.

Both superb, but... for the truest desert golf experience, including no housing (at all), Saguaro gets the nod for me. Saguaro is a little less target(y) than Pinnacle.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Talking with my Dad he said he can use his 2 for 1 troon card certificate on troon north and we are gonna play pinnacle. But got to wait till 1 or 2 days out before we book. And looks like we can’t tee off till 11am. So not sure if we tee off at 11am if we can squeeze in another 18 on monument before the sun sets. Either way I’m excited and I may splurge on my own up to Saguaro if time allows! If I can make it up to we-ko-pa anyone want to join? I know it’s a ways out I’d be going as a single and just throwing out the offer!

Also how is Fire Rock Country club? I’ve got a boxgroove account and that is a possibility if I can book a time.

Talking with my Dad he said he can use his 2 for 1 troon card certificate on troon north and we are gonna play pinnacle. But got to wait till 1 or 2 days out before we book. And looks like we can’t tee off till 11am. So not sure if we tee off at 11am if we can squeeze in another 18 on monument before the sun sets. Either way I’m excited and I may splurge on my own up to Saguaro if time allows! If I can make it up to we-ko-pa anyone want to join? I know it’s a ways out I’d be going as a single and just throwing out the offer!

I was able to get 36 in at Wekopa Dec 23 had an 850 tee time but there was an hour and a half frost so got out at 1020 on Saguaro finished Cholla about 530 with very little light out to give you a barometer

I was able to get 36 in at Wekopa Dec 23 had an 850 tee time but there was an hour and a half frost so got out at 1020 on Saguaro finished Cholla about 530 with very little light out to give you a barometer

Nice but we are headed down end of March to the 1st week of April. Any idea about that time?

Nice but we are headed down end of March to the 1st week of April. Any idea about that time?

Prolly can play till 645-7

Also how is Fire Rock Country club? I’ve got a boxgroove account and that is a possibility if I can book a time.

definitely not worth the price they want on boxgroove(think it is almost $200). Eagle mountain is way better for half the price.

Alta Mesa is on BG and if under 100 would be decent.

Agreed...but if you set the ego aside and play up a tee box or two(combo), it can be ok.

We are the high handicappers you described so I think we'll spend the $100 elsewhere. Thanks a million!!

We are the high handicappers you described so I think we'll spend the $100 elsewhere. Thanks a million!!

No problem, good decision!

Just found this post and it brought back so many memories. The OP has done a fantastic job reviewing and recommending these courses. It sounds like we have a similar taste and appreciation for the same courses. Nice to see a few on my list of great courses that never get enough attention in these conversations ie. Legend Trail, Estrella, Southern dunes etc. Well done OP!!

What part of the Valley ru staying in? FYI Longbow is just ok and it’s probabky 90 mins from wickenburg ranch. For courses that aren’t too hard for high handicaps I’d suggest: we ko pa saguaro, Eagle mtn, verrado, verde river & Papago. A lot depends on budget & Hotel location

I'm looking to play Kierland next Thursday. The tee sheet shows times for Kierland 1, Kierland 2, and Kierland 3. I assume these are combinations of the nines. Any idea what nines are included with each? What are the best two nines?

Edit: I guess it doesn't really matter. I just noticed that the 2 & 3 sheets have very limited tee times, i.e. early morning on 2 and after noon on 3. Neither works for my schedule, so I'll go ahead and book Kierland 1.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I'm looking to play Kierland next Thursday. The tee sheet shows times for Kierland 1, Kierland 2, and Kierland 3. I assume these are combinations of the nines. Any idea what nines are included with each? What are the best two nines?

Only 9 I'm not a huge fan of is the Ironwood 9 which ends on the par 5 with water right. Find that to be the most bland 9 of the bunch.

They are listed Ironwood, Acacia, Mesquite, on the card so maybe that is the 1,2,3 order???????

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Only 9 I'm not a huge fan of is the Ironwood 9 which ends on the par 5 with water right. Find that to be the most bland 9 of the bunch.

They are listed Ironwood, Acacia, Mesquite, on the card so maybe that is the 1,2,3 order???????

I think that's probably a good assumption. I tend to draw/hook the ball, so water right should be fine.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I think that's probably a good assumption. I tend to draw/hook the ball, so water right should be fine.

I think it varies by day

Edit: I guess it doesn't really matter. I just noticed that the 2 & 3 sheets have very limited tee times, i.e. early morning on 2 and after noon on 3. Neither works for my schedule, so I'll go ahead and book Kierland 1.

Play a different course unless you are staying at the Westin. Kierland is probably the 2nd worst value next to tpc stadium in AZ. My favorites are we ko pa (Saguaro only), troon north (both), Quintero & camelback (ambiente is much better)