Big Earls is a great spot, love stopping in there when we are in the area

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Desert Forest is an awesome track. I’ve had the pleasure of playing it a few times and I think every time we were the only ones on the course. If I remember they only have a handful of members and a few are tour players. Always in perfect shape and some great holes. You know you’re about to play a great course when the range balls are ProV1s!!

Desert Forest is an awesome track. I’ve had the pleasure of playing it a few times and I think every time we were the only ones on the course. If I remember they only have a handful of members and a few are tour players. Always in perfect shape and some great holes. You know you’re about to play a great course when the range balls are ProV1s!!

We have slightly more than a handful but 1/3 of your average club. I’ve been a member there for almost 10 years and I still feel thankful every time I’m there

Coming to Phoenix next week and thinking about playing Sundance Golf Club in Buckeye for the first time. Also looking at the 500 Club which I haven't played for a decade. Can anyone give me some feedback?

Lowend, basic housing community course! Not sure why you would consider that course, when 10 minutes away is 2 awesome courses at Verrado and 15 min away is a great course at Estrella. Heck Wigwam and Palm Valley are better as well.

Do yourself a favor and play one of those instead. But if you have to play there....it is nothing special. Haven't played it in a while, but when I was forced to it was a mixed bag on condition.

Thanks 8! Is the 500 Club any better? We played Verrado last year and loved it but I'm trying to keep the fees under $90 - $100 for my budget conscious buddies. Called Verrado but they won't deal this time of year.

500 Club is a nice muni-ish course, not bad, but not special either. Not in the same league as Verrado, that's for sure.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Southern Dunes yesterday with One_Putt_Blunder.

27656981_849083288772_9116789289909690732_n.jpg?oh=1ba8ff677962741b7c16890a8fd951e6&oe=5B106874

It was my first time playing Southern Dunes, and I wasn't disappointed.

Course: I think the layout is really well done! The surrounding desert areas aren't too penal; you're finding your balls without risking life and limb through cacti. It was just a lot of "fun" that I haven't had playing a few other courses in the area. It has a great mix of holes:

• Medium par threes (4 & 11)
  • Long par threes (6 & 17)
  • Short par fours (2 & 14)
  • Medium par fours
  • Long par fours (8, 12, 15)
  • Reachable par fives (3, 7, 16)
  • Long par fives (7 & 13)

It is probably missing a true "short" hole.

Conditions: Overall, I would give it an 8.5. I thought the greens were great, and that is always my #1 concern. A little thin in areas but a perfect speed and firmness. I think they might keep the fairways a little too "lush," I'm more a fan of firm and fast "brown is beautiful" way of thinking. But the fairways and surrounds did have a decent amount of bounce. There were a few patchy areas (back middle of #1 green and end of #15 fairway). But overall, for a public course at that price point, pretty darn good!

Overall, it might be my favorite course I've played in the area, or at worst tied with Scottsdale National "Other Course." I have also played Scottsdale National Mineshaft, Greyhawk Raptor, WeKoPa Saguaro, Talking Stick North, and DC Ranch.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Thanks 8! Is the 500 Club any better? We played Verrado last year and loved it but I'm trying to keep the fees under $90 - $100 for my budget conscious buddies. Called Verrado but they won't deal this time of year.

500 Club is a nice muni-ish course, not bad, but not special either. Not in the same league as Verrado, that's for sure.

Agreed. Choose Estrella or Wigwam then....heck, go play Vistancia....it is not that far up now that you have the 303.

Southern Dunes yesterday with One_Putt_Blunder.

27656981_849083288772_9116789289909690732_n.jpg?oh=1ba8ff677962741b7c16890a8fd951e6&oe=5B106874

It was my first time playing Southern Dunes, and I wasn't disappointed.

Course: I think the layout is really well done! The surrounding desert areas aren't too penal; you're finding your balls without risking life and limb through cacti. It was just a lot of "fun" that I haven't had playing a few other courses in the area. It has a great mix of holes:

• Medium par threes (4 & 11)
  • Long par threes (6 & 17)
  • Short par fours (2 & 14)
  • Medium par fours
  • Long par fours (8, 12, 15)
  • Reachable par fives (3, 7, 16)
  • Long par fives (7 & 13)

It is probably missing a true "short" hole.

Conditions: Overall, I would give it an 8.5. I thought the greens were great, and that is always my #1 concern. A little thin in areas but a perfect speed and firmness. I think they might keep the fairways a little too "lush," I'm more a fan of firm and fast "brown is beautiful" way of thinking. But the fairways and surrounds did have a decent amount of bounce. There were a few patchy areas (back middle of #1 green and end of #15 fairway). But overall, for a public course at that price point, pretty darn good!

Overall, it might be my favorite course I've played in the area, or at worst tied with Scottsdale National "Other Course." I have also played Scottsdale National Mineshaft, Greyhawk Raptor, WeKoPa Saguaro, Talking Stick North, and DC Ranch.

I knew you’d like Southern Dunes! Hard not to.

I was only in Scottsdale for 4 days, but the weather looks like it has been perfect. The greens were perfect at the three places I played. It seems like it would take hard work not to have great conditions right now.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I've never played cave creek. Is it worth $20 to walk 9? I have the city card and it's about a 20 min drive

It's part of the Aurthur Jack Snyder Golf Trail.

I played Cave Creek last week. It is fine for $32 in the winter to walk, but certainly not a nice course. The course has some crazy greens, which can make it fun. Certainly, do not expect conditions on par with Papago, GCU, or even Encanto.

There are not many options for $20 in the winter, so I say go for it.

I've never played cave creek. Is it worth $20 to walk 9? I have the city card and it's about a 20 min drive

It's part of the Aurthur Jack Snyder Golf Trail.

I played Cave Creek last week. It is fine for $32 in the winter to walk, but certainly not a nice course. The course has some crazy greens, which can make it fun. Certainly, do not expect conditions on par with Papago, GCU, or even Encanto.

There are not many options for $20 in the winter, so I say go for it.

I like Cave Creek...greens are a little crazy but they have been in really good shape the last few weeks and roll pretty quickly. Conditions are probably better at Papago but it's not that far off. They are just as good as some of the times I have played GCU though it's been awhile. For the price it's hard to beat and I would recommend over Encanto and even Aguila at the moment while they fix bunkers.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Coming to Phoenix next week and thinking about playing Sundance Golf Club in Buckeye for the first time. Also looking at the 500 Club which I haven't played for a decade. Can anyone give me some feedback?

Since you are out on the west side: here is a deal...Coldwater is not terrible, housing community course too...but heck this is a great deal: https://www.idealgolfer.com/deal/phoenix/coldwatergolfclubaz1801?site=US&utm_source=OfferCreation&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Offer_4528792

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. Choose Estrella or Wigwam then....heck, go play Vistancia....it is not that far up now that you have the 303.

Thanks to everyone who gave terrific advice on where to play this year. In the end we took much of your advice and played:

Wickenburg Ranch - Perfect course conditions. My only negative is that they still aren't serving a hot breakfast. That caught us by surprise as they had one last year even in the midst of moving into the new clubhouse. Fantastic pizza after our round.

Lookout Mountain - I know many don't love this course but coming from Wisconsin the elevated tees and funkiness of the course are a nice change. Sunday buffet is awesome also. That being said they need to do something about their short par 3. The green doesn't hold. Even a tee shot landing on the back fringe ends out in the ditch in front of the green. Lastly, we'd stick around for a few premium priced beverages if they provided a place to enjoy a cigar. Probably the last time we'll play it. Too bad because the customer service is terrific.

Vistancia - Hadn't played this course for years because it didn't meet the ultra high expectations the first time. No complaints except the practice green was way faster than the actual greens. Nice course in great shape. I just don't find it particularly memorable.

Estrella - We've played this course several times and are never disappointed. It's an imaginative layout and the conditions are excellent. Definitely the best value of the courses we played this year. Tough but still forgiving enough if you play the proper tee boxes.

We booked a house in Surprise the last two years and played the courses to the North and West. Next year we'll likely target the South side as there are a few more options. I'll check back in when it gets closer. Thanks again!!

First off, this thread is stupendous. Coming down to Arizona from Iowa in later March. My game will be seriously rusty. Starting in Tucson with a friend who is a member at La Paloma Country Club. Playing a couple of days there. Then we're coming up to Scottsdale to stay with another friend. Stopping at Southern Dunes on the way up based on the recommendations here. Very excited for this round. Playing Troon North Pinnacle the next day (Sunday).

Looking to fill two more rounds. An afternoon round on Sunday and a Monday round (have a 7 PM flight out Monday). Any recommendations for a cheap round Sunday afternoon and the Monday round? I prefer courses that are not overly penal off the tee and designs that offer a lot of strategic choices. A course with a great short par 4 would be ideal.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 

4w - Callaway Rogue ST Max

3H - Taylormade Stealth Plus 

4U - Hogan UiHi

5-PW - Hogan PTx Pro/Icon Combo

50F, 54D, 58D - Vokey SM9

Putter - Evnroll ER1 Blade

First off, this thread is stupendous. Coming down to Arizona from Iowa in later March. My game will be seriously rusty. Starting in Tucson with a friend who is a member at La Paloma Country Club. Playing a couple of days there. Then we're coming up to Scottsdale to stay with another friend. Stopping at Southern Dunes on the way up based on the recommendations here. Very excited for this round. Playing Troon North Pinnacle the next day (Sunday).

Looking to fill two more rounds. An afternoon round on Sunday and a Monday round (have a 7 PM flight out Monday). Any recommendations for a cheap round Sunday afternoon and the Monday round? I prefer courses that are not overly penal off the tee and designs that offer a lot of strategic choices. A course with a great short par 4 would be ideal.

Wont be "cheap" but would be a shame to travel all this way and not play Saguaro, as it is probably the number 1 course for width off the tee and strategic choices.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Wont be "cheap" but would be a shame to travel all this way and not play Saguaro, as it is probably the number 1 course for width off the tee and strategic choices.

Thanks! The Monday round doesn't have to be cheap, just Sunday afternoon (if we're up to it). Probably check for last minute deals on GolfNow for Sunday. Saguaro is at the top of my list for Monday. My buddy can get a resident rate for himself if he books the tee time between 0-7 days out, correct? I assume it won't be a problem getting a time before noon.

4U - Hogan UiHi

What makes you think that it'll be easy to find something before noon?

Actually, I have no idea. It's a Monday? I guess the day of the week might not matter much in the high season.

4U - Hogan UiHi

Verde River fits the bill. Probably can get it for $125-$150, maybe less.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel