Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

For me over in the east valley, I’ll head up to Apache stronghold fairly often during overseed and the winter as long as there’s no snow/freeze. Anything north of that and you’re probably running into snow/frigid.

Prescott has got to be a solid option, antelope hills(muni ) has 36 holes, old course reminds me of old maryvale/Dobson etc. Benign yet fun. South is Panks, so you know what you’re getting there. I love it up there, stays affordable,too.

Stoneridge needs to be played, it’s got be played, it’s such a wacky design.Plus you’ll be able to stand in the footprints of giants, on the 18th hole where OnePutt made history.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Stoneridge needs to be played, it's got be played, it's such a wacky design.Plus you'll be able to stand in the footprints of giants, on the 18th hole where OnePutt made history.

I used to live on this golf course for a few years when it first opened and have probably played 100+ rounds here. Definitely a course you should play for the experience but prepared to lose a lot of balls if you are a 10+ handicap. Choose your tees wisely. There's a huge difference between the gold tees and the tips here. As for that 18th hole... I almost always have a gap wedge into that hole for my 2nd shot. Rumor has it there were a bunch of Indian ruins they had to go around when laying out that hole, hence the double dogleg design.

So just to move things in a bit of a different direction, anyone have strategies (completed or planned) on the best places to play during November/December, and by that I really mean places that don't overseed at all. Utah? Sedona? Prescott? Payson-ShowLow?

Take a lesson and practice for 2 months.

So just to move things in a bit of a different direction, anyone have strategies (completed or planned) on the best places to play during November/December, and by that I really mean places that don't overseed at all. Utah? Sedona? Prescott? Payson-ShowLow?

You can generally get on both Talking Rock and Capital Canyon as well....Also, an option is Albuquerque.

Quite a few of the Sun City area courses aren't overseeding until the third week of October, so I'll probably try some of those between now and then if I have time. Next I'll probably try the courses in the Prescott area for a month or so, since most if not all don't overseed and it's not a bad ride from the N/NW valley. By the end of that time, some of the Phoenix area courses that overseeded in late September should be coming off of cartpath only restrictions and can be played.

Quite a few of the Sun City area courses aren't overseeding until the third week of October, so I'll probably try some of those between now and then if I have time. Next I'll probably try the courses in the Prescott area for a month or so, since most if not all don't overseed and it's not a bad ride from the N/NW valley. By the end of that time, some of the Phoenix area courses that overseeded in late September should be coming off of cartpath only restrictions and can be played.

Rim CC in payson is not too difficult to get on this time of year if you have a pro to call. Fantastic conditions right now. Try out Silvercreek CC near Show Low. If you stay at a rental in Torreon you can also play the courses there. All of these courses are a great break from desert golf, and weather pending are fantastic this time of year.

Rim CC in payson is not too difficult to get on this time of year if you have a pro to call. Fantastic conditions right now. Try out Silvercreek CC near Show Low. If you stay at a rental in Torreon you can also play the courses there. All of these courses are a great break from desert golf, and weather pending are fantastic this time of year.

We played The Rim this past weekend (bought the round through a charity auction). What a track. That layout is so much fun to play.

We also got on Chaparral Pines. A very pretty course but a bit brutal. Those greens are gnarly

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

• 2 weeks later...

Will be traveling to Scottsdale/PHX area Nov 2-5 for a golf buddy trip, staying in Cave Creek. On the final Monday, I will be playing solo after everyone else goes home and looking to play 36. Here are some possibilities (with prices from a tee-time reseller, broken down by morning/afternoon). Please vote! Overseed issues factored in below. I would love to walk one of the rounds (which would make CPO a non-issue) but not sure if any of these allow it. I'm a mid-80s player. The only one of these I have played is Verde River, last year, which I thought was really great despite construction.

- Quintero $103/93 total $196. Nearly 3 weeks post-overseed.

- Talking Stick (Piipash, formerly called South) $105/72 total $177. Other Talking Stick course closed.

- Troon North, comp replay offered by this company (can that be right?), so total is somewhere btw $139 and $189, not clear. Monument will be fresh off of overseed but presumably I can choose to just play Pinnacle twice?

- Verde River 79/57 total $ 136 BUT one week after overseed reopen.

Will be traveling to Scottsdale/PHX area Nov 2-5 for a golf buddy trip, staying in Cave Creek. On the final Monday, I will be playing solo after everyone else goes home and looking to play 36. Here are some possibilities (with prices from a tee-time reseller, broken down by morning/afternoon). Please vote! Overseed issues factored in below. I would love to walk one of the rounds (which would make CPO a non-issue) but not sure if any of these allow it. I'm a mid-80s player. The only one of these I have played is Verde River, last year, which I thought was really great despite construction.

- Talking Stick (Piipash, formerly called South) $105/72 total $177. Other Talking Stick course closed.

- Troon North, comp replay offered by this company (can that be right?), so total is somewhere btw $139 and $189, not clear. Monument will be fresh off of overseed but presumably I can choose to just play Pinnacle twice?

Troon North

I'll throw out a suggestion that doesn't involve what you have listed. Since you have Quintero listed, consider a drive out to Wickenburg Ranch, it's an hour or so from Cave Creek and not too far past Quintero, the course is well worth the drive.

You won't find a better conditioned course in the area for the price. It's a fun layout, playable and not too penal. There are other options such as We-Ko-Pa, also you have Troon listed, but for the price I just don't think Wickenburg Ranch can be beat. I believe that Monday 11/5 would be 174 for their "double play special".

Troon north

Thanks, guys. Seeing a lot of votes for Troon North. But I am seeing reports of poor conditions in recent reviews on Golf Advisor (unreliable, I know). Wondering if that has to do with better than expected rates. Has anyone played there this fall?

Also, anyone know if TPC Champions still has an unpublished rate to walk the course? Would have to be available to non-residents in my case.

I played Sunridge Canyon in the spring and they have new owners. Course was excellent with some of the fastest greens I have putted on!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Quintero really isn't walkable, even if they let you borrow a cart for the ~1.5 mile ride from the clubhouse/parking lot to the first tee and back after the round. There are some major green-to-tee treks and hills.

I don't know what their official policy is, but the Talking Stick courses have walkable layouts, I saw a guy walking the south course once as well. I'm guessing walking is discouraged but they wouldn't fight you if you challenged it, especially if they are otherwise CPO.

Quintero really isn't walkable, even if they let you borrow a cart for the ~1.5 mile ride from the clubhouse/parking lot to the first tee and back after the round. There are some major green-to-tee treks and hills.

I don't know what their official policy is, but the Talking Stick courses have walkable layouts, I saw a guy walking the south course once as well. I'm guessing walking is discouraged but they wouldn't fight you if you challenged it, especially if they are otherwise CPO.

I don't play at TS very often but the last few times I have, I've walked and carried. No resistance whatsoever from the staff. I'll tell you that South is a surprisingly difficult walk compared to what you'd think. It just isn't designed for it so it makes green to tee treks a lot more of a pain than what you'd assume. North is no problem.

Thanks, guys. Seeing a lot of votes for Troon North. But I am seeing reports of poor conditions in recent reviews on Golf Advisor (unreliable, I know). Wondering if that has to do with better than expected rates. Has anyone played there this fall?

Also, anyone know if TPC Champions still has an unpublished rate to walk the course? Would have to be available to non-residents in my case.

The current green fee to walk champions is $70

I would not take much into recent reviews during late season conditions pre overseed. You would literally be playing on an entirely different grass

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Stoneridge needs to be played, it's got be played, it's such a wacky design.Plus you'll be able to stand in the footprints of giants, on the 18th hole where OnePutt made history.

TeemingClumsyGentoopenguin-size_restricted.gif

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

The guy I just got on the phone there told me they only have a walking rate for residents. Maybe he’s mistaken, who knows.

The guy I just got on the phone there told me they only have a walking rate for residents. Maybe he's mistaken, who knows.

Technically that is true, it is only for residents, never been checked though

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

So what is the controversy about Quintero? I see a lot of mixed responses and reference to controversy on the forum but I can't get a read on what the deal is. Another related question: is it crazy difficult? The scorecard and course ratings makes it looks really tough. Like I would have to tee it forward by 600 yards to match the rating at my home course. I'm around a 14 hc and don't want to pay a lot to play 36 and just get beat up all day...

So what is the controversy about Quintero? I see a lot of mixed responses and reference to controversy on the forum but I can't get a read on what the deal is. Another related question: is it crazy difficult? The scorecard and course ratings makes it looks really tough. Like I would have to tee it forward by 600 yards to match the rating at my home course. I'm around a 14 hc and don't want to pay a lot to play 36 and just get beat up all day...

Simply put it is a failed attempt to make 18 signature holes instead of 18 good ones. The scenery out there is fantastic though.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Simply put it is a failed attempt to make 18 signature holes instead of 18 good ones. The scenery out there is fantastic though.

Pretty much what OPB said....they took views into consideration over play-ability and hole design. That being said, it's worth playing and a lot of people do like it. IMO it's a course that most mid-higher handicaps love and lower handicaps don't. If daylight and times permit, a good option would be to play Quintero in the morning and Wickenburg Ranch or Los Caballeros after if you don't mind a 30-40 minute drive in between.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I don’t find it particularly difficult and I’m usually playing from the tips. It is just poorly designed and repetitive. So, pretty much what OPB said. I often recommend it to visitors because it is beautiful and they care about that more.

I did a detailed breakdown of each hole and why I think the design is weak in this forum. Don’t have time to search for it now but if you want it then it is out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone that has played golf in the Melbourne sandbelt attest to how authentic and similar wildfire Faldo is to something like Royal Melbourne or Kingston Heath? Obviously the sandbelt courses are world class and I’d put in Faldo in the bottom half of the courses I’ve played in AZ.

I’ve played Royal Melbourne (composite) once and West a few times. Metropolitan four times and Kingston Heath twice. I don’t find them similar at all. Not in look, feel or especially not in bunkering.

Heading out in mid-Jan for Bear Jackson and want to play 3 days. Is my first time but other guys have been before. Hdcps range from scratch to 10.

What are the top courses that time of year? Budget is an average of $150/Rd. I think we might be playing Desert Forest one day with a member. Should we do Quintera and Wickenburg? Troon North?