Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

Ahh thank you. Do they post an oversees schedule?

Should be out by end of the month or early Aug.

Early Nov you will prob still be cart path only and soggy, most courses should be well recovered especially those that started in early Sept. The late ones (mid Oct start) will still prob be in recovery aka shaggy fairways and greens.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

First week of November is very squishy on courses that didn't overseed til mid or second half of october. I wouldn't even plan my trip until the overseed schedule is out then I would look at courses that overseeded last week of september first week of october.

Pool is a yes.

36 can be done but you will be rushing unless you tee of absolutely first thing

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Hi all,

Going to be heading to Phoenix in September for a football game, looking for a round on a Friday morning.

First and foremost, what should I expect weather-wise in September? Will starting at 9 be too late? Is there a time that you can start in the afternoon and not die?

Second, we're staying relatively close to Talking Stick but have already played those. Looking for something in the average to slightly difficult range since one of the guys we're playing with is a very casual golfer. Don't want to travel too far from there but wouldn't be opposed if it was something we couldn't pass up. (I should note I've also played Troon Monument and TPC Stadium but would do those again if it's the most appropriate choice) Not sure if cost will end up being an issue, so open to all suggestions at this time.

Thanks in advance!

The best times to golf in the summer is usually to go out at around 6-6:30am, and be off the course by 10:30.

Twilight rounds, after 5pm, with the sun setting tend to be tolerable as well despite the temp.

Any other time tends to be ghastly.

Where do folks get this idea? Ghastly? Really? In September? There is the occasional day it's very hot but it's never too hot to play.

At least for some of us! :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Hi all,

Going to be heading to Phoenix in September for a football game, looking for a round on a Friday morning.

First and foremost, what should I expect weather-wise in September? Will starting at 9 be too late? Is there a time that you can start in the afternoon and not die?

Second, we're staying relatively close to Talking Stick but have already played those. Looking for something in the average to slightly difficult range since one of the guys we're playing with is a very casual golfer. Don't want to travel too far from there but wouldn't be opposed if it was something we couldn't pass up. (I should note I've also played Troon Monument and TPC Stadium but would do those again if it's the most appropriate choice) Not sure if cost will end up being an issue, so open to all suggestions at this time.

Thanks in advance!

The best times to golf in the summer is usually to go out at around 6-6:30am, and be off the course by 10:30.

Twilight rounds, after 5pm, with the sun setting tend to be tolerable as well despite the temp.

Where do folks get this idea? Ghastly? Really? In September? There is the occasional day it's very hot but it's never too hot to play.

It is truly hilarious. I'm a mid 40s guy in healthy but average shape and I have no problem walking and carrying all summer long here. Anyone that can't do that (assuming no injury) should seriously question their level of fitness/health assuming they are less than 75 years old. It isn't hard and it most certainly isn't ghastly. If riding in a cart I can't imagine that there is even a low level of stress.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

It is truly hilarious. I'm a mid 40s guy in healthy but average shape and I have no problem walking and carrying all summer long here. Anyone that can't do that (assuming no injury) should seriously question their level of fitness/health assuming they are less than 75 years old. It isn't hard and it most certainly isn't ghastly. If riding in a cart I can't imagine that there is even a low level of stress.

Handicap is down a point and a half since summer started.....I love summer in Phoenix for golf. If I take a cart I can play 36 holes in under 4 hours or walk 18 in just under 3. Still at a stage in life where time is more scarce than money. Summer maximizes my holes played vs time. Love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Some may enjoy golfing mid-day in 100 degree heat, but I'm not one of them. Horses for courses, I guess.

September has lows average in the mid-70s, which makes a morning dewsweeper round a lot more temperate than say a 12:30 round.

The poster seemed to want to know when the best time to golf was. If he was one of those any time is a good time to golf in the summer in Phoenix types, I figured he wouldn't have been asking.

Ghastly may be overstating it. Also, my epic drives are probably not that epic, and my pured shots are probably just mediocre.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

I'll admit to not being fit, and being overweight. I just don't enjoy mid-day golf. Guessing by the amount of activity I see on golf courses I drive by at that time in the summer, I figure I am joined by many people in that feeling.

Again, to each their own. I'm all for people enjoying as much golf at whatever time or place they choose. Cheers!

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Maybe getting used to it helps ?

As a visitor I've played a half dozen rounds or so in July.

Morning rounds were quite comfortable at 90-95* but the Noon starts, at 115, not so much. Walking at 115 could literally be deadly for older anybody.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Heat is a lot like high altitude IMO, acclimatization helps. I cant just fly to Colorado and climb a mountain from 10,000-14,000 feet with the same aerobic efficiency that say someone who lives at 5-8,000 feet.

Likewise here in PHX We have actually had to send a guy off the course at 79 degrees because of obvious signs of heat stroke/exhaustion. He was a Canadian in town and decided to walk with us on a warm winter day. By hole 10 my buddy(fire captain, former medic) took his vitals and said dude you need to go to the hospital. He refused ambulance, but at least decided to head in.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Heat is a lot like high altitude IMO, acclimatization helps. I cant just fly to Colorado and climb a mountain from 10,000-14,000 feet with the same aerobic efficiency that say someone who lives at 5-8,000 feet.

Likewise here in PHX We have actually had to send a guy off the course at 79 degrees because of obvious signs of heat stroke/exhaustion. He was a Canadian in town and decided to walk with us on a warm winter day. By hole 10 my buddy(fire captain, former medic) took his vitals and said dude you need to go to the hospital. He refused ambulance, but at least decided to head in.

When I was living in Oregon and would come down to Phoenix a few times a year, my lips would crack, my skin would get dry and I had no tolerance for the heat. Now that I live here again I haven't experienced any of those issues...and I am perfectly comfortable playing in the hot weather. It just takes time for your body to adapt.

Oh and worst of all I could barely drink when I came down here as I would get splitting headaches and totally dehydrated overnight....thank god that is fixed as I can drink like a fish now!

WITB:

You know, this is likely true. I'm gone during the week (2-3 days) ~100% of the time but I still think my body is adjusted for the temps here. Whenever I go to very humid places I get massive headaches the first couple of days and find it to be a miserable experience. After I'm there for a few days I just find to be miserable without the headaches :)

You know, this is likely true. I'm gone during the week (2-3 days) ~100% of the time but I still think my body is adjusted for the temps here. Whenever I go to very humid places I get massive headaches the first couple of days and find it to be a miserable experience. After I'm there for a few days I just find to be miserable without the headaches :)

35% humidity.....normally 104 degrees I can handle but it was awful out there today. I need serious hydration supplies.

Saudi Arabia is similar to Phoenix in the summer, although we get humidity as well, contrary to popular belief. I had a heat stroke incident playing in the summer there, thus I don’t really play during the day 11 am onward. That is until the 9 hole lighted side is utilized after dark to take 15-20 degrees off the heat down to just a mere 95-100.

almost everyone uses carts, as a matter of fact our club forbids walking during tournaments in the summer. Water on every hole, there was talk of actually putting in sunshades on the tee boxes to cover the tee as well which IMO would be a good idea. While they are at it, have a mister installed on a switch ).

I don’t see why we can’t appreciate our differences and preferences for playing conditions, without claiming someone is a fat slob or lazy. I am neither and I will NOT play during the day for 5 months out of the year.

Saudi Arabia is similar to Phoenix in the summer, although we get humidity as well, contrary to popular belief. I had a heat stroke incident playing in the summer there, thus I don’t really play during the day 11 am onward. That is until the 9 hole lighted side is utilized after dark to take 15-20 degrees off the heat down to just a mere 95-100.

almost everyone uses carts, as a matter of fact our club forbids walking during tournaments in the summer. Water on every hole, there was talk of actually putting in sunshades on the tee boxes to cover the tee as well which IMO would be a good idea. While they are at it, have a mister installed on a switch ).

I don’t see why we can’t appreciate our differences and preferences for playing conditions, without claiming someone is a fat slob or lazy. I am neither and I will NOT play during the day for 5 months out of the year.

I think the term that caused me to write that was "ghastly" because I honestly see no problem in walking and carrying at 105* in the middle of the summer here and have done it well over 100 times for sure. I don't know that I've ever played golf in a cart where I felt even a little bit of stress from heat. Given that I have roughly the lightest possible complexion and am merely of average health I thought it was pretty odd/funny to see it called ghastly. You'll notice however that we all decided to agree that what you're used to matters a lot. There are many times in the Southeast where the temps are in the low 90s that I've chosen not to play simply because I don't even like being outside in humid areas when they are that warm. Not because of heat but because I can't stand every single part of me being soaked from doing nothing more than sitting around. Clearly that's a stated preference that others would think is ridiculous (perhaps not many but I'm sure there are some!).

TLDR: Yep, agree.

I think the term that caused me to write that was "ghastly" because I honestly see no problem in walking and carrying at 105* in the middle of the summer here and have done it well over 100 times for sure. I don't know that I've ever played golf in a cart where I felt even a little bit of stress from heat. Given that I have roughly the lightest possible complexion and am merely of average health I thought it was pretty odd/funny to see it called ghastly. You'll notice however that we all decided to agree that what you're used to matters a lot. There are many times in the Southeast where the temps are in the low 90s that I've chosen not to play simply because I don't even like being outside in humid areas when they are that warm. Not because of heat but because I can't stand every single part of me being soaked from doing nothing more than sitting around. Clearly that's a stated preference that others would think is ridiculous (perhaps not many but I'm sure there are some!).

I updated the wording on my post from ghastly to less comfortable.

I've only lived here a couple years but I find <110 to be tolerable as long as you're prepared. I do find it to be a little bit of an adventure. Played Mountain Shadows last week at 117 degrees and literally had the whole course to myself for 4 hours. That said, I'm usually sweating completely through my shirt and have drunk 4 bottles of water by the 10th hole. And I definitely start to think about long walks across the fairway and extended time standing at the tee box. Someone could get heat stroke out there if they aren't careful. I'll take the heat because I love the easy tee times, lower cost, and open courses, but it definitely causes me a little bit of stress.

I've only lived here a couple years but I find <110 to be tolerable as long as you're prepared. I do find it to be a little bit of an adventure. Played Mountain Shadows last week at 117 degrees and literally had the whole course to myself for 4 hours. That said, I'm usually sweating completely through my shirt and have drunk 4 bottles of water by the 10th hole. And I definitely start to think about long walks across the fairway and extended time standing at the tee box. Someone could get heat stroke out there if they aren't careful. I'll take the heat because I love the easy tee times, lower cost, and open courses, but it definitely causes me a little bit of stress.

It is also important to remember that physiologically if you have had heat stroke before you are significantly more likely to get it again with less stimulus.

WITB:

Saudi Arabia is similar to Phoenix in the summer, although we get humidity as well, contrary to popular belief. I had a heat stroke incident playing in the summer there, thus I don't really play during the day 11 am onward. That is until the 9 hole lighted side is utilized after dark to take 15-20 degrees off the heat down to just a mere 95-100.

I don't see why we can't appreciate our differences and preferences for playing conditions, without claiming someone is a fat slob or lazy. I am neither and I will NOT play during the day for 5 months out of the year.

It is also important to remember that physiologically if you have had heat stroke before you are significantly more likely to get it again with less stimulus.

Holy shnikeeeeeees! I didn't know this, but have had it and I guess I should move or just stay indoors for 5 months. I can say it was scary to have as I was conscious of what was going on, but not sure what was happening exactly until the doctor told me finally in the ER.

Saudi Arabia is similar to Phoenix in the summer, although we get humidity as well, contrary to popular belief. I had a heat stroke incident playing in the summer there, thus I don't really play during the day 11 am onward. That is until the 9 hole lighted side is utilized after dark to take 15-20 degrees off the heat down to just a mere 95-100.

I don't see why we can't appreciate our differences and preferences for playing conditions, without claiming someone is a fat slob or lazy. I am neither and I will NOT play during the day for 5 months out of the year.

While that's true, if a person who has suffered from a heat-related illness, the first question would be whether the person had maximally prepared to avoid heat-related issues. If the person had done everything possible, and suffered a more serious rather than less serious heat-related condition, then indeed avoiding heat whenever possible is probably a smart call.

I would call maximum preparation 1) maximal hydration with water/equivalent at least 1-2 days before playing, 2) light clothing, from shoes, to socks, to shorts (or skirt), shirts and hat, even gloves - white or as close to white as possible, 3) drink water/equivalent while playing, at least 1/2 gallon (64 ounces), 4) seek shade in every possible circumstance, 5) use a cooling towel - I keep one wrapped around my neck at all times, just refresh it with water every few holes.

Those are all things that just about anyone can do for every round in the heat. A few other good ideas, though some may run contrary to one of the reasons someone might be on a golf trip, are 6) optimize sleep the night before a round, 7) manage intake of alcohol and any other psychoactive substances the night before, and during, a round, 3) try to play at places and times that will result in faster rounds - the less overall time in the heat, the less likely unpleasant effects.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

That's funny because as I remember it I don't recall sweating much at all. The dryness of the air causes the sweat to evaporate almost as soon as it shows up. That's why it's so dangerous out there. When people sweat they know they're losing water and will drink. When you don't sweat you don't realize you're losing the water.

Water is a way of life out there. My buddy (originally from NY) has a refrigerator in his garage filled with liter bottles of water and grabs one every time he leaves the house. It ain't funny. One needs to stay hydrated in the desert.

Titleist Pro V1X

Walked today as a matter of fact. Found it to be a very pleasant day but we played too early (7:48am off the first) so it was a touch humid due to overnight watering. Walked off 18 at 10:58 so the pace was very casual as my guest took a cart. He’s Canadian after all :)

I played 36 at Wickenburgh Ranch yesterday.

Sure the second round was hot... But I was well hydrated, used the shade aggressively and a ton of sunblock. Felt just a bit of fatigue by the end, but otherwise good.

It is doable but certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

WITB:

Walked today as a matter of fact. Found it to be a very pleasant day but we played too early (7:48am off the first) so it was a touch humid due to overnight watering. Walked off 18 at 10:58 so the pace was very casual as my guest took a cart. He's Canadian after all :)

I seem to recall playing about 7 AM in the Summer in Phoenix and it was about 94,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and it felt perfectly comfortable,,,,,,,,,,,, kinds sorta like playing in 75-80* sunshine in say, NYC,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D

Titleist Pro V1X