2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

Heading out in mid-Jan for Bear Jackson and want to play 3 days. Is my first time but other guys have been before. Hdcps range from scratch to 10.

What are the top courses that time of year? Budget is an average of $150/Rd. I think we might be playing Desert Forest one day with a member. Should we do Quintera and Wickenburg? Troon North?

Wickenburg Ranch maybe but that would be an all day affair. If you get the opportunity to play DF please do, it is a gem and IMO one of the best private course designs in town if not the best. I'd put DF above any public course here except maybe Saguaro. Speaking of Wekopa Saguaro it will be much more than $150 but you should absolutely play it too. That stretch of Barrett Jackson and WM Open you wont find many deals on golf.

You buying anything or just coming to take it all in? Barrett is in quite literally my back yard. I walk over the final Sunday every year early in the morning and stroll around for a few hours before the crowds get big. Usually score tix to the opening night VIP Gala too which is always fun to get free food, booze and people watch. Not to mention spend a lot of time looking at the cars without 100's of people around.

Here is one from the opening gala last year. Notice the lack of people. It is so nice being able to stroll around and take your time looking at everything without the crowds.

DTjKnVBUMAAqPs1.jpg

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Played three this weekend. All were open to carts on fairways.

#1 - Troon Pinacle - fair play, good fairways, and used a fore caddy. Nicest we played

#2 - Sunridge - landing zone golf and true thick desert. Needed a caddy IMO

#3 - TPC Champions - planes flying overhead, slow play, would be fun if the course was somewhere else IMO

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don’t really enjoy practicing but the $15 after 3pm to play sounds pretty good. My company is back east so my work is busier in the morning. 15 min drive, 2 Coore Crenshaw courses and walkable (I’d confirm

that they would be ok with me walking & taking my push cart).

For about $160 + tax/month I could walk 9-12 holes 2x/week & practice anytime I want. Sounds too good to be true for the winter

https://talkingstickgolfclub.com/programs

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don’t really enjoy practicing but the $15 after 3pm to play sounds pretty good. My company is back east so my work is busier in the morning. 15 min drive, 2 Coore Crenshaw courses and walkable (I’d confirm

For about $160 + tax/month I could walk 9-12 holes 2x/week & practice anytime I want. Sounds too good to be true for the winter

https://talkingstickgolfclub.com/programs

• 3 weeks later...

Talking Stick O'odham is not a brilliant course but at that price I would take it every day. Actually I enjoyed it immensely and despite the wide access lanes it has some superb green complexes. You should get good value out of your rounds by practising different approaches. Bump and run will work well there.

Going to the area about a month from now. I am playing TPC Stadium for sure. I am looking for 1 other course to play. Is there a course that stands out for its conditioning? I've played the We-ko-pas, and Troons in a past trip and want to play something new. This trip is mainly to play 16 at TPC the week before the pros, and I know there are better values and courses.

Going to the area about a month from now. I am playing TPC Stadium for sure. I am looking for 1 other course to play. Is there a course that stands out for its conditioning? I've played the We-ko-pas, and Troons in a past trip and want to play something new. This trip is mainly to play 16 at TPC the week before the pros.

Quintero or Wickenburg Ranch. Next tier: Verrado courses, Whirlwind Courses Southern Dunes maybe...the bunkers are being repaired/redone and may not be quite perfect.

Going to the area about a month from now. I am playing TPC Stadium for sure. I am looking for 1 other course to play. Is there a course that stands out for its conditioning? I've played the We-ko-pas, and Troons in a past trip and want to play something new. This trip is mainly to play 16 at TPC the week before the pros.

Quintero or Wickenburg Ranch. Next tier: Verrado courses, Whirlwind Courses Southern Dunes maybe...the bunkers are being repaired/redone and may not be quite perfect.

Quintero had the fastest greens of all the courses I played on my last trip

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't really enjoy practicing but the $15 after 3pm to play sounds pretty good. My company is back east so my work is busier in the morning. 15 min drive, 2 Coore Crenshaw courses and walkable (I'd confirm

https://talkingstick...ub.com/programs

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't really enjoy practicing but the $15 after 3pm to play sounds pretty good. My company is back east so my work is busier in the morning. 15 min drive, 2 Coore Crenshaw courses and walkable (I'd confirm

https://talkingstick...ub.com/programs

Legit deal...you can use push cart.

Quintero had the fastest greens of all the courses I played on my last trip

Thanks, I think maybe I'll check out Quintero. A little bit closer location.

Going to the area about a month from now. I am playing TPC Stadium for sure. I am looking for 1 other course to play. Is there a course that stands out for its conditioning? I've played the We-ko-pas, and Troons in a past trip and want to play something new. This trip is mainly to play 16 at TPC the week before the pros, and I know there are better values and courses.

I'd check out either course at Troon North. Quintero isn't bad, but it's a bit of a hike. I also like Southern Dunes, but it's also a hike.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I'd check out either course at Troon North. Quintero isn't bad, but it's a bit of a hike. I also like Southern Dunes, but it's also a hike.

He's played Troon

Southern Dunes is my favorite course in the area, but not sure about the bunker maintenance. Wickenburgh ranch is also great,

Both are a drive, but worth it.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

He's played Troon

Doh! Mondays are rough. The two courses at Boulders aren't bad. Longbow is decent if you don't mind small aircraft buzzing your head every 60 seconds. SunRidge Canyon or Eagle Mountain have some nice elevation changes.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Southern Dunes is my favorite course in the area, but not sure about the bunker maintenance. Wickenburgh ranch is also great,

Didn't Southern Dunes just finish a major renovation a few years back? Are you saying they've already let the bunkers go to sh*t?

Didn't Southern Dunes just finish a major renovation a few years back? Are you saying they've already let the bunkers go to sh*t?

Massive flooding

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Quintero is nearly flawless right now. Greens have gotten glassy over the last couple of weeks as well. Fwiw

Quintero is nearly flawless right now. Greens have gotten glassy over the last couple of weeks as well. Fwiw

Change of plans. Flight is now earlier than expected so I just booked the first tee time at We ko Pa Saguaro. Which is literally one of my favorite courses in the country, right there with Erin Hills, Pac Dunes and Pebble Beach. So I guess not a bad alternative.

Change of plans. Flight is now earlier than expected so I just booked the first tee time at We ko Pa Saguaro. Which is literally one of my favorite courses in the country, right there with Erin Hills, Pac Dunes and Pebble Beach. So I guess not a bad alternative.

Saguaro is fantastic, can't go wrong there. I think they used to be CPO until Jan 1 at Wekopa but not 100% on that - just a heads up.

Saguaro is fantastic, can't go wrong there. I think they used to be CPO until Jan 1 at Wekopa but not 100% on that - just a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up. Not going until 3rd week of January so shouldn't be a problem. I want to walk it anyway, just depends on who I get paired with and what they do.

Camelback Ambiente - not a very "phoenix" like course ... much more like a low-country coastal NC/SC type course but one of my favorites in the valley. Always in superb shape, interesting holes that give a lot of choice off the tee, interesting green complexes, etc

They have been keeping it in phenomenol shape, but they had ungodly flooding in early October and have had to restore the bunkers because of it. Last I heard they were done with the front 9

WITB:

I’m heading there during the week of the Phoenix Open for the second time. Are you able to fit in 36 holes in a day with daylight?

Seems like WeKoPa is a good choice with never playing there. I thought talking stick looked fun by the pictures I saw and how open but it was priced at $150.

If you’re worried about $150 then you might want to reconsider wekopa

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I’m heading there during the week of the Phoenix Open for the second time. Are you able to fit in 36 holes in a day with daylight?

Seems like WeKoPa is a good choice with never playing there. I thought talking stick looked fun by the pictures I saw and how open but it was priced at $150.

Like ForeLife said... During that week $150 is a bargain.

WITB:

I'm heading there during the week of the Phoenix Open for the second time. Are you able to fit in 36 holes in a day with daylight?

Like ForeLife said... During that week $150 is a bargain.

Wekopa is $220 with more than 7 days advance reservation at that time. But it is also way worth the $70 premium compared to Talking Stick. Just be aware you may need to be very aggressive with scheduling for that week - it is likely all the good (and even the not as good) courses will get booked quickly. Loot at the reservation windows, plan to call as soon as the booking window opens for the day(s) you are interested in.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Planning a trip to Phoenix/Scottsdale for the beginning of February. We'd like to play 5 rounds of golf, what would you guys recommend for low to mid range courses to play? I played Ak Chin Southern Dunes, Las sendas and Talking Stick last time I was there. The guys I'm going with are used to playing in Myrtle in March so golf costs are much cheaper vs prime season in Phoenix. Would you guys use a booking service for the golf for 8 people and could you recommend a service to use?

I'm heading there during the week of the Phoenix Open for the second time. Are you able to fit in 36 holes in a day with daylight?

If you're worried about $150 then you might want to reconsider wekopa

I wasn't worried so much about $150. I guess I was more worried about over paying for certain courses? No knowing the area and all. WeKoPa is already booked for 2/1 so it seems that is out of the picture.

If you're worried about $150 then you might want to reconsider wekopa

I wasn't worried so much about $150. I guess I was more worried about over paying for certain courses? No knowing the area and all. WeKoPa is already booked for 2/1 so it seems that is out of the picture.

Goona be tough to get the better courses for reasonable cost. I would honestly consider driving out to Verrado and getting both courses in (should be reasonable and good courses). Otherwise, maybe try Verde River and see if you can get the 2nd round at one of the Tonto Verde courses.(one good course and one decent course - both usually reasonably priced). A single course option would be Legend Trail.

Talking stick is not worth the price/s.