2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='nickdanger' timestamp='1334858758' post='4752938']
[quote name='IllestLmac13' timestamp='1334852905' post='4752330']
and on another note go to taylormadegolf.com and then go to the shop section and under hats there are flat bill RBZ hats for sale...but for some strange reason i cant find any jeans!! thats crazy lol
[/quote]

So I followed your line of logic on this and googled "golf jeans". Here's the link:
[url="http://my.ceogolfshop.com/houndstooth_jeans_p/loudmouth-jeansh.htm"]http://my.ceogolfsho...outh-jeansh.htm[/url]

Based on YOUR OWN logic jeans would now be acceptable attire on the course. So when are you getting a pair to go with that flat brimmed hat?
[/quote]

Opened the link, it does say "jeans like" with rivets however. But, are they DENIM? That, IMO is the common denominator for --Jeans--. I believe that Callaway was selling jeans lookalike a few years back but, they weren't DENIM jeans. I've also seen jeans lookalike on the LPGA a few times.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

So where do we draw the line? Are only denim jeans unacceptable? What about black ones, brown ones, white ones, red, patterned, etc? If you are going to base an arguement on a line of logic - flat-brimmed hats are acceptable because Ping and Taylormade make them for golf; then the same line of logic applies for jeans - they are acceptable because Loudmouth makes jeans for golf.

I really couldn't give a crap less one way or the other about what pants, hat shoes, or anything else you wear on the course. I only care about how you behave on the course.

Complete disrespect for the game wearing Jeans to play golf... I wouldn't even go to the range in Jeans, this is one of the things I feel is going wrong with the game. Too many people playing the greatest game ever and not having respect for the history and dignity the game represents.

Guess it comes with the growth of the game, part of what I'm accepting as taking the bad with the good of so many new players...

[quote name='nickdanger' timestamp='1334932330' post='4757698']
So where do we draw the line? [u][b] Are only denim jeans unacceptable?[/b][/u] What about black ones, brown ones, white ones, red, patterned, etc? If you are going to base an arguement on a line of logic - flat-brimmed hats are acceptable because Ping and Taylormade make them for golf; then the same line of logic applies for jeans - they are acceptable because Loudmouth makes jeans for golf.

I really couldn't give a crap less one way or the other about what pants, hat shoes, or anything else you wear on the course. I only care about how you behave on the course.
[/quote]

I believe "Levis", "denims" and "jeans" have been synonyms for 50+ years. The original question, dated back to Oct 28, 2008, 60 pages ago, long before Loudmouth. Hence my question: "Are they denim?"......Color has no bearing on it.

As I posted in an earlier post: It's a [size="5"][b]POLL[/b][/size] [size="5"][b]![/b][/size] [size="2"]There are only two possible answers---Yay or Nay!

[/size]As with the Energizer Bunny, it keeps [size="5"]Going, [/size][size="4"]Going, [/size][size="3"]Going, [/size][size="2"]Going, [/size][size="1"]Going[/size][size="2"]! :cheesy: [/size]

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

I don't wear jeans personally,but have no problem if someone does. As long as you can keep up you can wear scuba gear for all I care.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

[quote name='batgeek' timestamp='1334892436' post='4755954']
how hard is it to wear what the course allows? how hard is it to avoid going to a course that allows clothing that [b]you[/b] deem unacceptable?
[/quote]

You wouldn't be suggesting that the owners of the course decide what the appropriate attire is ? SHAME on you !

As for the range, if I'm greeted by some pre-teen with his shirt untucked, boxers coming out of his pants and hair in front of his face so you can barely see it, then I don't see why I wouldn't go there in jeans or sweat pants for that matter.

Somehow wearing jeans or a t-shirt while even thinking about golf is disrespecting the game, but strapping oneself in nylon bought at a golf store when it rains is perfectly acceptable ?

I don't wear jeans on the course:
- places I go to don't allow it;
- if I have to wear pants, there are more comfortable alternatives, outside of sweat pants, so I wouldn't be wearing jeans even if I could.

Jeans at a public range are fine. On a golf course or the range at a private club? No

TaylorMade SLDR 10.5˚, Kuro Kage Proto TiNi 70X
TaylorMade R7 TP 17.5˚, GD Prototype Model 902X OR TaylorMade SLDR 17˚ Kuro Kage Black Proto 80X
Titleist 712U 3i, Nippon Modus3 120X
Miura CB-501 (4, 5) & Miura MB-001 (6-PW), Nippon Modus3 120X
Miura Wedge Series 51˚, Nippon Modus3 120X
Fourteen RM-12 56˚, 60˚
Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line, Garsen Max

No jeans for me.....but in early spring and fall. I'll wear 'track pants' ( black only ) with a polo shirt.

When it gets warm, polo's, shorts\pants...done

[u][b]Bag:[/b][/u]

[i]Taylormade M1 440 9.5* Rogue Silver 125MSI TX[/i]
[i]Taylormade M1 HL Rogue Silver 80X[/i]
[i]Titleist 818 H2 21* Tour Green 85TX[/i]
[i]Titleist 716 TMB 4-W DG TI X100[/i]
[i]Vokey TVD K 54*, 60* DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35''[/i]

I say "No" to wearing jeans on a golf course. Playing golf is an event that I appreciate a lot more now that I can't play the game every day like when I was a kid. It's an event to get excited about and prepared for. Part of the preparation is selecting the appropriate attire, so that you can start by at least feeling and looking the part! Much more respect to a guy if he plays poorly, but took the time to respect the etiquette and tradition of the game by making an effort to dress appropriate for the occasion. The "they're more comfortable" argument for jeans just doesn't hold water, as golf pants and basic kakis are lighter and far less restricting. IMO wearing jeans is just a sign of laziness (don't want to make the effort to dress appropriately). Sorry, but a tiny bit of 'old school' country club snobbery is part of what makes golf fun and different from other sports! It's a place where we can all live out our 'Cabby Shack' fantasies! :-)

[quote name='vix02' timestamp='1334945128' post='4758828']
No jeans for me.....but in early spring and fall. I'll wear 'track pants' ( black only ) with a polo shirt.

When it gets warm, polo's, shorts\pants...done
[/quote]

i don't know what's worser. jeans, track pants or the famous plaid shorts / striped shirt combo.

[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1334940567' post='4758424']As I posted in an earlier post: It's a [size="5"][b]POLL[/b][/size] [size="5"][b]![/b][/size] [size="2"]There are only two possible answers---Yay or Nay!
[/size][/quote]

+1

There are too many answers where people are not posting their answers as an opinion. You can say what you want and even get wound up about this, but at the end of the day the local course rules dictate what are allowed.

Here's my two cents..not that it matters.
Do I wear jeans on the course? No
Do I wear jeans to the range? Most of the time. (Usually because I go straight from work)
Do I care what other people wear? No
Why do I not care? Because this is a game, I'm not a pro, they aren't pro's, and I'm out to work on my game. I dress well. I usually wear my black or gray slacks and one of my polo's or pullovers. I also wear a normal hat. Everyone I golf with has there own style. One friend only wears shorts, one wears goofy print pants with a fat a**, and the other dresses like he's about to go to a business meeting.
If I worry so much about what someone else is wearing then I must be good enough to criticize. The fact is if I ever went up to a guy and said "hey, you aren't dressed right for this sacred game. You are an embarrassment and shouldn't be on the course." I'd probably get my a** kicked.
Case in point I hit 18 this past weekend with my buddy. We were loosening up on the first tee box when a walker asked if he could join. I obliged. He was wearing jeans, polo, and a hat. He ended up hitting -8. Did I care what he was wearing? No. Anyhow, you never can really judge someone. On the 3rd hole he broke out a flask and some beers and graciously gave us a few beers and offered a shot or two. One of the coolest tag alongs I have ever played with.

I do understand that not everyone can afford the $80 golf polo or the $100 slacks. As long as the course allows it, I'm fine with it. As long as you respect the course and the people you play with you could go golfing in a leopard print thong for all I care

I do like to co-ordinate my colors of clothes and look sharp on the course and I wish more would but when some of the courses here in the Northeast first open and the temps are from freezing to in the 40's, I do wear a heavy pair of jeans to stay warm. Only the hard core golfers are out this time of the year and we all wear multiple layers of clothing plus jeans. Other wise I think its disgusting the way people (and I won't give them the credit to call them golfers) dress on the course as the season progresses and the better temps are here. :nea:

[quote name='MikeC732' timestamp='1335115792' post='4768196']
This is odd to me as all the public courses in my area don't even allow people wearing jeans on the course.

In fact, I've seen quite a few people have to buy pants in the pro shop. Which I found hilarious.
[/quote]

That is actually funny that you see people having to buy pants in the pro shop if they didnt wear jeans itd probably save them about 65-75 dollars lol

[quote name='jprk1024' timestamp='1335411731' post='4791816']
buy a pair of khakis for 30 bucks!
[/quote]

If you are going to ban jeans then khakis should go as well. If you want traditional, why not ban anything this is worn, ill fitting and/or not tailored?

In fact, how would you feel about some other aspects of golf tradition? Would any of you accept a ban on jeans if it also meant a ban on carts? They were never a part of the game - clubs would provide a caddy at your expense if you didn't want to carry your own bag.

How about a ban on alcohol on the course? It leads to morons like the two who joined my group at the weekend. They didn't wear jeans, but they were pathetic people and poor golfers.

What drives you to limit your rants to jeans? There are so many other apects of the game which could be changed as well, but they are probably inconvenient to most of you.

[quote name='Raven Logics' timestamp='1335457945' post='4794222']
[/quote]

If you are going to ban jeans then khakis should go as well. If you want traditional, why not ban anything this is worn, ill fitting and/or not tailored?

In fact, how would you feel about some other aspects of golf tradition? Would any of you accept a ban on jeans if it also meant a ban on carts? They were never a part of the game - clubs would provide a caddy at your expense if you didn't want to carry your own bag.

How about a ban on alcohol on the course? It leads to morons like the two who joined my group at the weekend. They didn't wear jeans, but they were pathetic people and poor golfers.

What drives you to limit your rants to jeans? There are so many other apects of the game which could be changed as well, but they are probably inconvenient to most of you.
[/quote]

umm, maybe because this is a thread about "jeans" on the course not one about alcohol or carts??? Start as thread about the other two an I'm sure someone will rant about them.

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1335460827' post='4794468']
[quote name='Raven Logics' timestamp='1335457945' post='4794222']
[/quote]

[/quote]

umm, maybe because this is a thread about "jeans" on the course not one about alcohol or carts??? Start as thread about the other two an I'm sure someone will rant about them.
[/quote]

+1
thats just like the argument started about one guy saying no jeans yet wearing a flat bill hat in his pictureand getting criticized for his opinion... its amazing how one thing leads to another.

[quote name='IllestLmac13' timestamp='1334467760' post='4724216']
nope, nay, notta!!!! golf is a sport of edicate in my opinion and looking your best on a golf course doesnt consist of jeans personally.
[/quote]

Sorry, a lot of replies seem to indicate that there is no place for jeans, not just that it is a personal choice. It's quite relevant to ask why people think this way. It certainly has nothing to do with etiquette, and it's relevant to find out whether you really believe in protecting etiquette or not. To call upon traditional values then requires me to ask why you would try to bring forward some values such as clothing, but then leave others behind. What I am getting at is simple - I think that many of those who are posting that jeans should not be allowed only believe in that idea for reasons of snobbery, and not for traditional or practical value.

No, I don't think that a few drunk people should ruin it for others (even though I don't usually drink on the course), I don't think carts should be banned (even though I carry my bag), and I don't think that my opinions on dress code should have anything to do with what others wear.

played yesterday morning at my local muni at 7 am in 50* weather. $10 for 9 walking. played in jeans, sweatshirt, my adicross shoes, winter caps, shades and had my ipod in the whole time. played great, felt totally relaxed. in this instance, jeans are fine.

When I play at normal times at more prestigious clubs, I do not wear jeans.