Pebble Beach trip comin up

MJP22

Need some non-golf related suggestions
Hey all! My Dad and I are headed out to San Fran/Pebble to celebrate his 60th with a nice little golf trip in 3 weeks. Anyway, here is our quick itinerary:

Wed the 4th - Fly into San Fran, land around 10am
That afternoon we plan to play Half Moon Bay - Ocean around lunch time, then drive down to Pebble where we are staying at the Inn @ Spanish Bay.
Thur - Spyglass
Fri - Pebble
Sat - Spanish Bay

Driving back up to San Fran Sat afternoon, then taking in the Giants game that night.

Sunday Morning - Fly back to NJ

Anyways, looking for a little advice on the following.
1) For the trip down from Half Moon Bay to Pebble, what is the best route to take and a place to stop for dinner. Not looking for the quickest route, but the best route to really take in the surroundings.
2) Besides Roy's and the Tap Room, any recommendations on where to eat while we are @ the resort?
3) Any other things besides golf that we should try to do while in the area? All of our golf should be finished up by 4pm that Thur and Fri.

thanks in advance!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take highway 1 (PCH - Pacific Coast Highway) from HMB to Pebble. It's not the fastest, but it's gorgeous and the extra time well worth it. Stop in some of the little towns along the way and explore. Ask the locals where they eat and take a chance on one of their recommendations.

Visit Carmel, perhaps the Monterey Aquarium and consider the back nine at Pacific Grove as the sun sets. If you have sun, it can often be overcast or foggy.

If you've never been, prepare to be impressed - the area is stunning.

scotchblade covered it. but i will try and top it.
Thursday, enjoy the drive down hwy 1
Friday Have Calamari appetizer at stillwater cafe- try and sit outside looking at 18th green you just finished.
then, Pacific grove about 5PM walk the back nine (may still be chilly, but worth the sunset) OR, drive on beachfront from pebble to pacific grove after your round. park at asilmar beach and walk the beach during sunset.

dinner. Fishwife... period DO NOT eat on cannery row.

Giants game- have a chowder bowl and garlic fries instead of a hot dog. Take a Parka LoL.

I'm a local; live in Monterey area and frankly, I'd blow off the drive down hwy 1. It is slow and tedious and won't hold a candle from a view standpoint to the golf courses and surroundings you're going to spend the next 3 days in. You'll find yourself just wishing you'd taken 101S to 156 W to 1 S to the Pebble gate and been done with it...I'd recommend getting done with golf in HMB and busting tail down for dinner on Monterey Peninsula..

I'd highly recommend Peppoli over Roy's at Spanish Bay for a great dinner; post golf Taproom visit is a must. Roy's is a nice chain, their entrees are ok. They have great appetizers. Fishwife as previously mentioned is a great call; also consider Casanova in Carmel.

Your golf courses seem pretty dialed; hope you catch a nice night at the AT&T; it is one of the coolest ballparks in which you'll ever get to watch a game.

Going through Santa Cruz is a pain, but the rest of the drive down 1 (especially on a weekday) has been OK for me. If you want to avoid 1 wouldn't you take 92 to 280 to 85, then to 101? I think it's faster and a more scenic drive than the Bayshore (101). I'm in San Luis and have been up that way many times. In fact I'm playing Pebble on Sunday with my 87 year old dad (I'm the 60 year old here!), brother, and brother-in-law. Eating at the Tap Room after golf.

Great call on Casanova.

I did the drive from HMB to Monterey on a Friday early afternoon about 3 weeks ago. Traffic wasn't even remotely an issue. Since you're not from there you've got to do it. It's not like you're in a hurry. Just take it all in and don't worry about your score. Get a good caddie and walk the fairways. It's a special experience. You will have a great time.

Highway 1 is gorgeous, but a pain the butt and can make your car sick with all the turns. Watching the Bagpiper walk down the 18th at Spanish during sunset is always pretty cool while you sip on a post round cocktail. The tap room is a cool joint with some nice photos on the walls. There are also some fun bars in Monterey, (something "palooza" it was a steak house). If you hit the wharf, you can find some fresh seafood places that are pretty awesome as well. Have fun!

highway 1 is closed 21 miles south of Monterey, it fell into the ocean. lol.
i'd stop by the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3]TM M5 460 9* [/size]
[size=3]TM M1 15* (2016)[/size]
[size=3]TM GAPR Low 17*[/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3]TM P730 3-PW[/size]
[size=3]TM MG 52* SB Raw[/size]
[size=3]TM MG 58* SB Black[/size]
[size=3]Swag Handsome One Naked 35.25" [/size][/font]

Half Moon Bay is really incredible. You will like it a lot. Personally I would play the Old Course instead of the Ocean Course. All the locals know it is the better course. After your round you can have lunch at the Ritz outdoor patio. Best view you will ever see. Period.

After you play golf at Pebble definitely grab lunch at the Tap Room. Get the Coconut Cake for desert. Its incredible.

I would forget the Hwy 1 idea. Its a pain right now and a big chunk of it fell into the ocean.

You should go to Cannery Row one night and to check it out. The Monterey Plaza Hotel has a great outdoor bar for some drinks. The Chart House on Cannery Row has a great view and the food is good. Its a steak and fish house. Pricey but you will like it.
[url="http://www.montereyplazahotel.com/photogallery/index_monterey_main.cfm"]http://www.montereyplazahotel.com/photogallery/index_monterey_main.cfm[/url]
[url="http://www.chart-house.com/"]http://www.chart-house.com/[/url]

The Giants game should be fun. Head over to a place called Tres Agaves before the game for some food and drinks. Their pork carnitas are to die for and I'm not a big pork guy at all, but I get them everytime I am there. Tres Agaves is about a block away from the park and its a lot of fun.
[url="http://rocksnosalt.com/san-francisco/?navcode=san-francisco"]http://rocksnosalt.com/san-francisco/?navcode=san-francisco[/url]

For Pebble, I personally would not get a caddie and would just get a cart. I've played Pebble at least 5 times and every time I got a caddie he did more to screw up my game than help it.

The only reason I'd drive the 85 to the old 17 Highway to the 1 down to Monterey would be to stop by Pasatiempo off the 17 right before you turn to get on the 1. Look around the pro shop and wander thru the place. Otherwise, that drive is a complete PITA with all the turns. Agree with previous poster that the 101 to the 156 to 1 is a better drive and better to just get down there and be done with it.

Definitely try to play Pacific Grove. Easy to do as a 2nd 18 since the course is short and you can play in a little over 3 hours. Great place to be out when the sun is setting. One other casual restaurant I like down there is The Rio Grill. Great artichokes and all the pros go there for dinner when the AT&T is played there. Do try to do the 17 Mile Drive loop at your convienience. Stop by the Lone Cypress and you can steal pics of Cypress Point and the Cypress Point Clubhouse. One other thing to do is to go "hiking" or walking along the coast at Point Lobos Reserve. Fantastic views along the coast and pics will last a lifetime.

[quote name='MJP22' timestamp='1302634891' post='3146775']
[b]That afternoon we plan to play Half Moon Bay - Ocean around lunch time[/b], then drive down to Pebble where we are staying at the Inn @ Spanish Bay.
[/quote]
I missed this the first time, forget highway 1 (the coastal route).

Arriving in the morning, driving to HMB from the airport, teeing off around noon - if you stick around for a drink you won't be on the road until 5:30.

You've still got about an hour and a half drive ahead of you. I don't know what evening traffic is like though San Jose, so it could be longer. Sounds like a long day to me. I'd take the fastest route and make no stops along the way.

I've heard great reviews about Fort Ord Bayonet / Black Horse. You might consider that instead of out-of-the-way HMB. When your round is over, you won't have to face a long, end of the day drive or deal with possible rush hour traffic.

http://bayonetblackhorse.com/

Sounds like you have the activities covered. My only advice is regarding the caddies at Pebble. They double loop. If you and your father share a caddy and are of similar ability and hit the ball similar distances, then you'll be OK with one caddy. If not, then you may want to get separate caddies or a cart.

I played PB once as a walk-on single. I got paired with a threesome and shared a caddy with one of the guys. Needless to say I spent most of my day tracking down my clubs, trying to get my own yardages, etc. I didn't know they double looped until we were going to the first tee, and at that point it was too late.

Have fun!

Kevin

I forgot to add, have you considered playing Pasatiempo rather than the Ocean Course? While the Ocean is a great layout, Pasa is consistently a Top 100 Golf Course (GolfWeek) and is truly a California gem. Tom Doak's renovation is spectacular.

Right now Pasa is offering discounted rates at little more than 100 dollars to play walking, cart is another 15. PM me and I'll give you the promo code when making (requesting) a tee time. On their system, you request a tee time and they'll email you confirmation.

BTW, falken, those pics you posted of the Old Course at HMB are literally the only holes you're not surrounded by homes. The ninth going straight to the hotel and the 17th and 18th holes. The rest of the course you're staring at living rooms and bedrooms. No offense, but I think they'd have a better time on the Ocean. I do agree all the locals play the Old Course because it's much tougher and they have US Open qualifying there all the time. But the Ocean is a great layout and a really fun course to play.

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1302725513' post='3150646']
I forgot to add, have you considered playing Pasatiempo rather than the Ocean Course? While the Ocean is a great layout, Pasa is consistently a Top 100 Golf Course (GolfWeek) and is truly a California gem. Tom Doak's renovation is spectacular.

Right now Pasa is offering discounted rates at little more than 100 dollars to play walking, cart is another 15. PM me and I'll give you the promo code when making (requesting) a tee time. On their system, you request a tee time and they'll email you confirmation.

BTW, falken, those pics you posted of the Old Course at HMB are literally the only holes you're not surrounded by homes. The ninth going straight to the hotel and the 17th and 18th holes. The rest of the course you're staring at living rooms and bedrooms. No offense, but I think they'd have a better time on the Ocean. I do agree all the locals play the Old Course because it's much tougher and they have US Open qualifying there all the time. But the Ocean is a great layout and a really fun course to play.
[/quote]

Thanks! I might take you up on that....we aren't locked in @ HMB, so its definitely an option. I'll ask the birthday boy what his preference is.

Thanks all for the great recommendations as well.

[quote name='falken19150' timestamp='1302714404' post='3150023']
Also, not sure if you have a gaming system but the new Tiger Woods PGA 12 game has Pebble on it and its very life like. You can do a couple of rounds on the video game to get ready...haha.
[/quote]

Yep, been playing it on my XBox, though I'm a bit better at the video game then real life.

I have the same trip planned for August with my foresome...we are looking at Poppy Hills or Bayonet for Wednesday's round. Anybody have any comments on these two?

Let us know how your trip goes after you get back...add any reco's after the trip as well.

Sippy

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1302741570' post='3151445']
[quote name='falken19150' timestamp='1302714025' post='3150001']
Here's some pics of HMB Old Course to give you an idea of how ugly it is.....
[/quote]

Spectacular cart path.
[/quote]

[quote name='sippy2' timestamp='1302869293' post='3155392']
I have the same trip planned for August with my foresome...we are looking at Poppy Hills or Bayonet for Wednesday's round. Anybody have any comments on these two?

Let us know how your trip goes after you get back...add any reco's after the trip as well.
[/quote]
I'd recommend either over HMB. Bayonet is a serious test and was recently redone along with Black Horse. I have not played the newer version, but have heard excellent reviews. Bayonet is tough!

Poppy used to host the AT and T. Okay, so it wasn't the most popular course with the pros, but it's still a darn good one, beautiful, better than HMB, IMO.

Sounds like the OP has a busy arrival day. I just don't think HMB is worth going that far out of your way for.

Agree w/ scotch, either Poppy or Bayonet are really, really good.

Poppy is outstanding, very tough course and a great challenge. So is Bayonet. The BlackHorse is just as nice, and IMHO, the greens on the BlackHorse are just brutally tough, harder than the Bayonet. Lots of movement and swales. The facility here is top notch, everything is nice since the renovation. Look for cheaper tee times on GolfNow. com.

Wed. would be a great day to run 36 at Bayonet/Blackhorse, the only drawback being both courses kinda seem like one big course, with your memory of doing that one big blur of sameness.

Poppy Hills is great, and a quick 18 at Pacific Grove would also be a great day of 36 with your memory being 2 totally different experiences. Pacific Grove gets bashed alot in internet forums but I personally love the fact you can play there with ocean views for 45 bucks while doing the same at Spy or Spanish costs you over 200 at Spanish and over 300 at Spy and 500 over at Pebble.

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1302980432' post='3159750']
Agree w/ scotch, either Poppy or Bayonet are really, really good.

Poppy is outstanding, very tough course and a great challenge. So is Bayonet. The BlackHorse is just as nice, and IMHO, the greens on the BlackHorse are just brutally tough, harder than the Bayonet. Lots of movement and swales. The facility here is top notch, everything is nice since the renovation. Look for cheaper tee times on GolfNow. com.

Wed. would be a great day to run 36 at Bayonet/Blackhorse, the only drawback being both courses kinda seem like one big course, with your memory of doing that one big blur of sameness.

Poppy Hills is great, and a quick 18 at Pacific Grove would also be a great day of 36 with your memory being 2 totally different experiences. Pacific Grove gets bashed alot in internet forums but I personally love the fact you can play there with ocean views for 45 bucks while doing the same at Spy or Spanish costs you over 200 at Spanish and over 300 at Spy and 500 over at Pebble.
[/quote]

Agree with this as well. PG has a very boring non descript front nine (also not that challanging so you should score on it) and the back nine is very beautiful right on the water. Definitely worth playing

• 2 weeks later...

[url="http://antonandmichel.com/antonmichel/"]http://antonandmichel.com/antonmichel/[/url]

Check out this restaurant. Expensive but I highly recommend it.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13