2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

First Look: PING's new Premium Milled line of Ansers

[quote name='corky' timestamp='1312305623' post='3444774']
[quote name='vjswing' timestamp='1312299767' post='3444403']
This line must be absolutely top-notch if O'Meara was willing to switch from his old-school Anser 2 to this new version the day before a major, and used it through the week to an eventual 2nd-place finish.
[/quote]

his was modified..... driled out and aluminium inserts to bring the head weight right down to 320 or somewhere near
..... can't remember where I read it but Google will be your friend....
[/quote]

A couple of sources - interesting in this day and age where heavy putters are all the rage. And the new motto of GolfWrx can be found at the end of the first article "If there is a lesson to be learned from O’Meara, it might be this: Messing around with new golf clubs is fun, so don’t be afraid to make a few substitutions."

http://m.golfweek.com/news/2011/jul/28/omeara-changes-gear-fast-start-sr-open/

http://www.golfworldmonday.com/golfworldmonday/20110801?pg=21#pg21

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='newportbeach' timestamp='1312298632' post='3444339']
My local shop said they will have these in next Thursday the 11th (same day they will be debuting all the new Ping G20 stuff). I'm excited to give these a try.
[/quote]

Supposedly everything but the bags will be in the shops on Aug. 11. Maybe Ping is finally waking up and trying to get some sales before the snow flies. Should have at least a months more sales...

I got a chance to putt with these today, and I wasn't terribly impressed to be honest. They felt pretty good, but were lighter than what I cared for. With Cameron offering different weight putters based on length, I feel like Ping is missing out by only offering a 345 gram head on these, unless you go WRX and up the price. I was excited for the release on these, but I'll be skipping out on purchasing one.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

[quote name='TM golf guy' timestamp='1312326
594' post='3446053']
I got a chance to putt with these today, and I wasn't terribly impressed to be honest. They felt pretty good, but were lighter than what I cared for. With Cameron offering different weight putters based on length, I feel like Ping is missing out by only offering a 345 gram head on these, unless you go WRX and up the price. I was excited for the release on these, but I'll be skipping out on purchasing one.
[/quote]

That is actually great news for me because I may be one of the few who loves a lighter feeling putter.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1312332816' post='3446324']
[quote name='TM golf guy' timestamp='1312326
594' post='3446053']
[/quote]

That is actually great news for me because I may be one of the few who loves a lighter feeling putter.
[/quote]

count me in too, my rhtymn is better with a lighter putter, especially on longer putts....

my spelling though......

I agree - I don't care for all the heavier putters. Looks like some of Scotty's new putters will be 34" and 360 grams which is a sledgehammer. :shok:

- Lord Tennyson

Can't wait to see the scottsdale head in person. :D

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

[quote name='Eddie' timestamp='1312866110' post='3464922']
Got to putt with the anser 1,2,3, and 4. For me the 4 looks perfect.

My camerons have been misbehaving, going to pick one of these up on Thursday.

Also, the grey grip looks so cool in person, pics do it no justice.
[/quote]

Thanks - any thoughts/comparisons regarding the feel v. the camerons?

- Lord Tennyson

I got a chance to be fitted for these at Ping last week. Didn't take long for me to narrow it down the the Anser, Anser 1, and Anser 3, and from there to settle on the Anser. The grip on the putters is very nice. It has a very unique feel.

Off the rack, I have to say that I was less than impressed. Unlike others' impressions I thought it was one of the heavier putters I've tried. From a feel perspective, the best way I can describe it was that it felt like a hunk of steel. Fans of carbon steel will probably run away.

Once we had gone through the fitting process and zeroed in on length and lie, things did improve, but my overall impression remains. Given the choice, I would put my money into a Redwood before I would one of these.

every store i went to had them in stock today. picked up a 0 and a 5 today. headcover is all white which should get dirty quick. they did a nice job on the grip using the old ping man grip but adding cord and making it gray. each putter has the intended arc for each model on the shaft band like slight arc.

Also had the G20s and Anser wedges in stock as well...

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1313095095' post='3474738']
every store i went to had them in stock today. picked up a 0 and a 5 today. headcover is all white which should get dirty quick. they did a nice job on the grip using the old ping man grip but adding cord and making it gray. each putter has the intended arc for each model on the shaft band like slight arc.

Also had the G20s and Anser wedges in stock as well...
[/quote]
Where are you located?

Phoenix today. Denver tomorrow where they also are. Friend in Michigan said they are also there. Was also told no 54, 58, and either 50 or 52 (can't remember which one) Anser wedges won't be available until late October as the first run of heads was rejected.

By the way the G20 driver is hideous looking. Like somebody flattened it in a press. Looks huge and the color is an unattractive gray...
The putters and the wedges are as good looking as the driver is ugly...

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1313107937' post='3475324']
Phoenix today. Denver tomorrow where they also are. Friend in Michigan said they are also there. Was also told no 54, 58, and either 50 or 52 (can't remember which one) Anser wedges won't be available until late October as the first run of heads was rejected.

By the way the G20 driver is hideous looking. Like somebody flattened it in a press. Looks huge and the color is an unattractive gray...
[/quote]

I think it looks great. Apparently PING's PGA Tour Staff agrees as they have 23 out of 35 players in G20 Drivers. I was told this at the Superstore event in Atlanta by PING's Tour Rep.

[quote name='oilcan_007' timestamp='1313117943' post='3475944']

[/quote]

I think it looks great. Apparently PING's PGA Tour Staff agrees as they have 23 out of 35 players in G20 Drivers. I was told this at the Superstore event in Atlanta by PING's Tour Rep.
[/quote]

I attended watts Ping G20 event today and everyone in store loved the driver! The ping tec rep couldn't keep up with the fittings. Only issue was there were a few lefty's there and not enough demos. The iping fitting app is awesome. There was a line for putter fitting. I ordered anser milled anser slot line with custom back line! Thought I had straight putting stroke to find out I was slight arc. I like the sound of slot line anser best. Wish ping would make ping anser 5 with slot line!! Too cool!

[quote name='newportbeach' timestamp='1312868973' post='3465020']
[quote name='Eddie' timestamp='1312866110' post='3464922']
Got to putt with the anser 1,2,3, and 4. For me the 4 looks perfect.

My camerons have been misbehaving, going to pick one of these up on Thursday.

Also, the grey grip looks so cool in person, pics do it no justice.
[/quote]

Thanks - any thoughts/comparisons regarding the feel v. the camerons?
[/quote]

My CT cameron's are all carbon steel, so they definitely feel softer, but for a SS putter, the anser has a very nice feel to it. I'm going to put the anser 4 into play tomorrow.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wonder which 23 players----bet Bubba isn't one of them...I tried it and if it had performed it would have been like the other ugly ping driver the TISI I would have snapped it up. The problem was it was significantly shorter than my i15 and Rapture V2....Both look like drivers not like a gray IHOP offering..

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1313155608' post='3476853']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wonder which 23 players----bet Bubba isn't one of them...I tried it and if it had performed it would have been like the other ugly ping driver the TISI I would have snapped it up. The problem was it was significantly shorter than my i15 and Rapture V2....Both look like drivers not like a gray IHOP offering..

[/quote]

Bubba does have the G20 in play. It's a great looking driver. Looks exactly like the G15 but slightly more weight back and low.

They have them in at the PGA SS in Duluth GA. Putted with the Anser, 1, 2, 3 and 4. Really like the feel of Anser but putted better with the 3. Decisions, decisions.

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

Picked up a #5 after playing with it a bit at the store last night. Great putter in every aspect, especially the swing weight. I was quite surprised. It's that quality that kicked my previous putter out of the bag.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1313160065' post='3477066']
[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1313155608' post='3476853']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bubba does have the G20 in play. It's a great looking driver. Looks exactly like the G15 but slightly more weight back and low.
[/quote]

If you think the G20 looks like the G15 you better get your eyes examined... Other than the shape at address and the gray color it does look just like the G15 NOT> The only thing I saw in Bubba's bag was a G20 headcover on his G15..

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1313197439' post='3479048']

If you think the G20 looks like the G15 you better get your eyes examined... Other than the shape at address and the gray color it does look just like the G15 NOT> The only thing I saw in Bubba's bag was a G20 headcover on his G15..
[/quote]

This pic was taken Thursday at the PGA. That's a G20. You can tell by the unique square of back side profile. Don't know what he played on Friday.