judging players by their bags

MtlJeff

Touchy subject to some degree, ODB, lol. My bag probably screams that I'm a stuck up snob that spends too much on my golf stuff which is the farthest from the truth(stuck up snob part), but people have always and will always judge others on what they see. I don't judge someone by what's in their bag as long as they're not acting like a** clowns out on the course and most golfers I have come across are courteous and cordial which is very important to me.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

do me next! What do my clubs say about me?

you seem to be a good player as you have exotic shafts and open club faces...however i feel like your one hook away from a triple on a hole killing you....

close?rolleyes.gif

Hello J...I met you this past weekend at Pinehills. :-) I admire your "psychic" skills. heehee

nice to finally meet someone from golfwrx! Yeah its just one of my hidden talents! friends.gif

I guess it depends which bag I have with me that day... I've got the shiny staff bag with all pretty new clubs look for corporate/charity events. I have the beat up carry bag with well used clubs that I don't care about for touring low end muni's.... The "that guy can't hit it out of his shadow, I'm really a 12 hcp." bag if I feel like taking some money. My Callaway bag that holds over 20 beers in the cooler pocket for those weekend rounds with my non-serious group. My old well worn staff bag for tournaments with my blades with dime sized wear spots...

After all that, then you have to hit the ball, and what your bag said is all forgotten... and then you open your mouth and people's real opinion of you is formed.

[quote name='pdaero' timestamp='1320097327' post='3743365']
Talk about me, too!

Personally, I game stuff for a long time and look for things that work for me. I don't particularly like change, but will change if something just flat out works better for me. I.E. I gamed a Scotty for 8 years, and immediately switched when I received my Ping Anser Milled putter to review. I just made more putts!
[/quote]

club connoisseur except not a full blown ho, you know enough about clubs to play some classics (old cleveland steel FW, Rapture V2 driver, MP32) but have very little really new stuff in your bag. The fact that you aren't over the top brand loyal and game stuff for a few years means you care about your scores above all else, but you still probably take pride in playing what's known as a market leader in the respective areas ( Vokey wedges, mizuno irons, a ping driver) and probably think a fellow club ho would immediately guess you are a low cap based on that bag, which is probably true.

i mean you have the prototypical cult-but-not-poser-bag. Classic 2-3 year old driver, old 3 wood, Mizuno irons and Vokeys.... LOL....you must realize that!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My bag screams "this guy doesn't give a rat's arse about his equipment"! I don't believe in/use (gasp) headcovers - I lose them all the time. My driver (original Speedline) is one season old and it looks like it has been through hell. 3W? V-Steel - worse shape than the driver. 3/4h - Adams Idea Pro - see above. 5-W - Ping S58 - always dirty. G/W/L wedges - Nike SV Tour - probably the best shape, since I've not had enough time to trash them. Putter - Cleveland Classic mallet.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

[quote name='henricogolfer' timestamp='1320086789' post='3742635']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1320085603' post='3742577']
Someone check my sig. Interested to know what it says about me.

Honest.
[/quote]

Serious, deep rooted seperation and anxiety issues. I recommend a good shrink.

Just kidding, I have several "back ups" as well and play the same irons, used to play the wedges. I'd say you could play, but don't get to enough to be consistent. Can shoot 75 or 96 depending on the day, am I close?
[/quote]

Wow. Pretty much +1 on everything, including the anxiety. Don't shoot over 82 on my worst days though. ;)

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1320093127' post='3743073']
do me next! What do my clubs say about me?
[/quote]

They kind of suggest you might have an old set of Hogan's in the closet. Possibly with a black oxide finish. Taste!

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

It is always interesting to me to see what someone has in their bag.

Hope people would think mine is more of a well though out quality package, but on a budged. Adams A4 irons, but the original forged ones. An R7 superquad 460 I just picked up with a whiteboard shaft, and I'm debating gaming my Ping Eye 2 Becu putter just for a little mix, that or my old teardrop. Wedges are the only thing in there recent, and picked up a set of the adams 2010 watsons.

I saw a guy the other day that, friend of a friend, who showed up with a set of callaway x forged with headcovers on them... lets just say i beat him by 10 strokes on the front, and a few more on the back. Not that I'm fantastic, but his equipment was way above his level.

I only look at other bags with hope to find a fellow club ho, so we can talk equiptment all day long.

my bag probably shouts ping fanboy, but in reality i just want a set that's easy to play, and hope to move into single digit soon. (currently 10.2)

i choose all ping cuz it has one of the best(if not the best) top-bottom offering IMO.

From the very post, yes you are right you can see a low handicap players bag a mile a way. Most likely that will be playing some top forged irons or an old set of pings. It is likely that irons are not a big brand. The heads will be all dinged up, lead tape and the sole of the soles might even be hand ground. The face will show consistent ball stricking in a small areas on the sweetspot and the groves will be clean and sharp.

A rather a lot of years ago, I tried to get an advantage off the first tee in match play. What I did was buy an old ping carry bag from a second hand shop and then added some duck tape around the bottom to make it look even more ugly. I tucked my 1 iron underneath one my woods head covers and a bunch of other little tricks to make my clubs just look scrappy and not player's club. For the first couple of holes, I would like some worm burner shots and look to be scrambling for my par. I would even go as far as saying to my opponent after a poor shot, "oh, you lifted your head". After a couple of holes, my opponents will normally change their strategy to be conservative, as they were gaining a false sense of confidence. When they made a mistake or I see a strong opportunity to take an advantage, I would strike to win the hole and get the early lead. It would think it was a fluke shot and take a couple of holes to up their game. The point being, match paly is a very psychological game and first impressions do matter and can affect how the other golfer plays the game. So, by all means use your bag and other tricks to catch your opponent off guard to capture the early lead.

People that look at my bag would say that i am a PING fanboy which is so true. I don't know if they would say i can play or not by looking at my bag. I just try to put together a bag that will work best for my game.

My playing partners would look at my bag and ask me where did that driver you just bought go? I almost have a new club everytime i play with some of my friends that i only get out a few times a year with. LIke a friend would ask me did you have a g10 driver in your bag? and I would be like yeah....like 6 weeks ago i had another driver before i got this one...basically i think that you look at my bag, and never know how to judge it because it is always changing.

I judge players based on brand more than clubs specifically...like titleist/mizuno says player to me, callaway/taylormade say poser (which isn't always true, and i dont want to start anything. I just dont like them). Box set obviously says beginner, and PING says this guy knows what clubs to buy.
'

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

All right, someone please weigh in on my bag. Interested to see what people think.

I can't help but to draw conclusions (or at least guess) from looking at someone's bag. I think it's a hold-over from all the years I spent caddying. On weekdays when there was lots of guest play and I only knew the member, I could usually pick out which bags belonged to guests who knew how to play versus bags I wanted to stay away from. I remember getting stuck with a staff-sized Burton leather bag with no strap - that bag had a ROPE where the shoulder strap should have been. I saw it sitting in the bag drop area, went ohmy.gif, and immediately went into the bag room and borrowed a carry bag from a member I'd known for years. NFW was I spending 4 hours with a leather Burton bag (heavy to begin with) suspended by a length of narrow, rough rope! biggrin.gif

My guess is that seeing a bag like mine, a fair number of players would have the same reaction: "Copper Pings. D#mn, I still wish I had not sold mine back in 199x!!!"

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I always like to see what other guys have in their bag. Especially the guys at the range that are just flat out striping the ball and making perfect divots on each swing. I'd say that in my area a common denominator among good players is mizuno irons, an old 3 wood, and some scruffy looking bag from the 80's. I regularly get beat by a guy who shoots in the mid 70's and he bought his entire bag at a yard sale for $50. He does not have a name brand club in his bag and consistently drives it in the 280-300yd range and puts up solid scores.

My bag in all honesty has the appearance of someone who has no loyalty to any one club maker. I've noticed the TM SF 2.0 3 wood getting some looks and I've honestly considered painting it black just to avoid these. It's the only 3 wood I've EVER been able to rely on and what luck its freakin' white! My bag looks somewhat better than my 11.7 index so I guess that makes me a poser as well. :busted2:

I think people who see what is in my bag would say this guy really likes Pings. Maybe I should give them a try as he really hits them well..Lol They do make the game easier to play. :good:

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

good topic
I always like to peek at a players bag after watching him play a few good holes. Then I'll look. I really don't try to judge prior to seeing them either hit balls at the range or play a few holes.

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

I guess I should throw my bag out there and see how I would be judged... That being said I literally just revamped my entire bag last week. Got rid of my X-proto's and other non-forgiving "player's" clubs and opted to make the game easier again. So with that out there, let's hear it.

Tour Issue TaylorMade M6 9.5* (Mitsubishi Diamana X17 60x)
Tour Issue TaylorMade M5 15*(Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 70x)
Tour Issue TaylorMade 19* 5-wood (Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 80x)
TaylorMade P750 3-PW (Nippon Modus Proto "2T15")
TaylorMade MG Black 52* (Nippon Limited "Blue" 125)
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* (Nippon Limited "Blue" 125)
TaylorMade Spider X

well, I'd be interested to hear what impression my bag would give before you see my swing...good and bad,,,probably mostly bad - lol.

Ogio cart bag
Cally Diablo Edge Tour with a Fubuki
Cally Diablo Octane Tour 3 wood
Cally FT 21* hybrid
X-22 Tour 3 - PW
X-Forged 52 and 58
Odyssey Tour Black #9

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City

My cousin is a scratch golfer and is good enough to play on any tour. Grew up playing at Cypress and Pebble every day after school and on weekends. Filthy rich, super rich and he plays with super old Titleist clubs . He doesn't have a club that's newer than 2002. I'm not exaggerating he could easily play his way on to the PGA tour. I ask why he doesn't turn pro He says why waste his time he doesn't need the money. He's also a crappy dresser and he would loan me $50 if I was dying cause he wouldn't get it back.
You can't judge a book by it's cover , he looks like he borrowed his grandpas clubs and he would whoop anyone.