2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Bourbon

GooseHook

[quote name='mflores' timestamp='1416161793' post='10456015']
Sometimes it pays to buy your bourbon from one store - my guy took care of me big time

[attachment=2499915:IMG_3239.JPG]
[/quote] Thats the golfing equivalent of Augusta, PV, cypress, Shinn, NGL, and Sand Hills.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I'm drinking some Old Weller Antique 107 for Thanksgiving Day. I really enjoy wheated bourbons as well as some Eagle Rare, Willet, JD Single Barrel, Russels Reserve, Four Roses. Used to just drink bourbon but have fallen in love with Scotch & Irish whiskies recently (<5yrs).

Great thread here guys. I Iove seeing all the different tastes & options out there.

Cheers!

- HPCC

anyone ever have Rock Hill Farms? My stores claim to have them now (checked online, havent seen in store yet)

I love Blanton's....just wondering if i should try something new. Apparently it's highly rated

I'm also a fan of Jack's Single Barrel for cheaper stuff

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[size=4][quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1417547782' post='10531933'][/size]
Just picked up Black Maple Hill and Jefferson's Ocean...haven't tried the Black Maple yet, but the Jefferson's Ocean was indeed unique, a touch salty and caramel, which was quite nice...here are some of my current rotation...
[size=4][/quote][/size][size=4]Hows the orphaned whisky[/size][size=4]? I've heard mixed reviews.[/size]

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1417555576' post='10532735']
Just picked up Black Maple Hill and Jefferson's Ocean...haven't tried the Black Maple yet, but the Jefferson's Ocean was indeed unique, a touch salty and caramel, which was quite nice...here are some of my current rotation...
[size=4][/quote][/size][size=4]Hows the orphaned whisky[/size][size=4]? I've heard mixed reviews.[/size]
[/quote]

haven't tried the Barterhouse yet...so rare to find 20-year-old American bourbon that I've been waiting for a special reason to crack er open...that said, the Lock Stock & Barrel is the most expensive MSRP of the bourbon batch in that picture (I think the 15-year scotch was similar priced) -- but i guess you can't really put a price on the Pappy; the surprising one in there is the XO (which is not a bourbon), which is crazy smooth

[quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1417556598' post='10532813']
[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1417555576' post='10532735']
[/quote]

haven't tried the Barterhouse yet...so rare to find 20-year-old American bourbon that I've been waiting for a special reason to crack er open...that said, the Lock Stock & Barrel is the most expensive MSRP of the bourbon batch in that picture (I think the 15-year scotch was similar priced) -- but i guess you can't really put a price on the Pappy; the surprising one in there is the XO (which is not a bourbon), which is crazy smooth
[/quote] Yea I'd love to grab a bottle of the Barterhouse, tough to find up north in Canada, and I'm only 20 so tough to buy when I'm down south. For that reason I pretty much stick to the Four Roses SB and Blantons. The other one I'm very interested is the high west campfire, which I know isn't bourbon but I'm still intrigued.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I'll try different ones from time to time, but my go to and always stocked at my house is Elijah Craig 12 year small batch, was love at first sip.

TM M3 - Diamana D+
TM M3 13° - Diamana D+
TM M1 3HL - Diamana D+
Miura ICL-601 18°- Crazy STP
Miura CB 57 - Monaco TX
Miura WS 53° & 59° - Monaco TX
Bettinardi Tour Stock BB1 DASS / Miura KM-005 / Nike Origin B2-01 / TM Kia Ma Daytona / Yes Callie Fc

• 3 weeks later...

Recently picked up a few bottles over the holidays to try them out. As I've been doing more and more research and reading reviews, I wanted to try as many different types as possible, for instance, wheated vs. rye, etc...

Here's the list:

Maker's 46 - a nice wheated bourbon. I actually enjoyed it.

Larceny - wheated newcomer from Heaven Hill. Was nice but I enjoyed the Maker's 46 a bit better.

Weller Special Reserve - a wheated bourbon. Did not like this one at all. With the others, I could smell Vanilla. This one smelled like acetone at first sniff, it was overwhelming.

Russell's Reserve 10 year - rye bourbon. Wow, now I know the difference between wheated bourbon and rye bourbon. The wheated bourbon is definitely smoother to me.

In addition, my search for Pappy continues. Found a few local places that had some in stock but wanted to charge $600 for the 15 year. No thanks. The one thing I've learned from my Bourbon search is that there are many other bourbon's available at great prices.

Bourbons on the list to try:

Weller 12 year (having a difficult time finding this one. I think once it got tabbed as the "poor man's pappy", it flew off the shelves) Also hearing rumors of shortages.

Buffalo Trace

Eagle Rare

Went to a football party at a friend's last night and took a bottle of Booker's that someone had gifted me. At 128 proof it's a little too strong for my taste, but I knew he liked it. Towards the end of the night when it was just he and I left watching the second half of the ALA-OSU game, he pulls out a bottle of Pappy 20yr - my first taste. I now know what all the fuss is about. Turns out he had bought it "over 10 years ago" and forgot that he had it until recently. It was just sitting in the back of his cabinet. He thinks he paid around $45 for it but can't be sure. Let's just say it was an interesting second half.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to grab a George T Stagg and Thomas H Handy this year here in the UK. Absolute nectar. Unfortunately they are rare and expensive over here so I've just ordered a Blantons 'Straight From the Barrel' to try and make those two last a bit longer. Looking forward to trying it!

Taylor Made Sim 9.5 Degree w/ Ventus Black 6X

Taylor Made Sim Ti 3 Wood w/ Diamana Fairway Ltd 75X

Taylor Made UDI #3 w/ Diamana Thump 100X

Titleist T100S 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Titleist SM8 50/54/58 x/ Project X 6.0

Evnroll ER2.B

Had a few measures of Noahs Mill in the bar recently, seemed very enjoyable. Need to sit down with it at home though I think before I can really make up my mind. Unfortunately my usual store just sold their last bottle.

Taylor Made Sim 9.5 Degree w/ Ventus Black 6X

Taylor Made Sim Ti 3 Wood w/ Diamana Fairway Ltd 75X

Taylor Made UDI #3 w/ Diamana Thump 100X

Titleist T100S 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Titleist SM8 50/54/58 x/ Project X 6.0

Evnroll ER2.B

Finally picked up some Weller 12 (4 bottles) and Weller Antique (3 bottles). Paid 30 and 29, respectively for each bottle. Some places by me are charging a ridiculous amount like 115 for a bottle of Weller 12.

Last weekend, I proceeded to make the "poor mans pappy" blend of 60/40 of antique/12 yr. going to let it mingle for 3 weeks. Will let you know how it turns out.

Fairly new to bourbon and been stocking up. Some of my favorites right now are blantons and four roses. The four roses single barrel is fantastic. Plan on picking up the yellow label and small batch as well.

Now anxiously looking forward to the June / September release of small batch limited and single barrel limited.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1417490885' post='10528885']
anyone ever have Rock Hill Farms? My stores claim to have them now (checked online, havent seen in store yet)

I love Blanton's....just wondering if i should try something new. Apparently it's highly rated

[/quote]

I'm a huge fan of JD Single Barrel. Some say Jack is not a bourbon....Jack chooses not to call their product bourbon for marketing reasons, it follows all the rules for bourbon and if they wanted to call it bourbon they could. Also a fan of Knob Creek Single Barrel and Booker's (love the high end Beam line).

[quote name='roundersmitty' timestamp='1421891598' post='10794421']

[/quote]

I'm a huge fan of JD Single Barrel. Some say Jack is not a bourbon....Jack chooses not to call their product bourbon for marketing reasons, it follows all the rules for bourbon and if they wanted to call it bourbon they could. Also a fan of Knob Creek Single Barrel and Booker's (love the high end Beam line).
[/quote]

Knob Creek single barrel is like a punch in the face if you arent an experienced Bourbon guy

120 proof baby!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[/quote]

Rock Hill Farms is a Buffalo Trace product. Shares the same mashbill as Blanton's and Elmer T. Lee (good luck trying to find, seems like with all BT products, it's getting harder and harder to find). I've also heard good things about it. May need to pick up a bottle.

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1421795547' post='10786187']
Finally picked up some Weller 12 (4 bottles) and Weller Antique (3 bottles). Paid 30 and 29, respectively for each bottle. [b]Some places by me are charging a ridiculous amount like 115 for a bottle of Weller 12.[/b]

Last weekend, I proceeded to make the "poor mans pappy" blend of 60/40 of antique/12 yr. going to let it mingle for 3 weeks. Will let you know how it turns out.

Fairly new to bourbon and been stocking up. Some of my favorites right now are blantons and four roses. The four roses single barrel is fantastic. Plan on picking up the yellow label and small batch as well.

Now anxiously looking forward to the June / September release of small batch limited and single barrel limited.
[/quote]

That's ridiculous. This is a 25 dollar product. This "scene" has really started to annoy me lately. Rare does not equal better. More expensive does not equal better - this is part of the original appeal of bourbon IMO. All these classic companies selling great aged product for under $35 bucks.

I have little to no interest in the rare game. I will stick to Four Roses SM and SB, Eagle Rare, "regular" Buffalo Trace - at least they are on the shelf most of the time.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H