Bourbon

GooseHook

A golf forum with a Bourbon thread. Now this is what I'm talking about.

Has anyone else tried the Maker's Private Select? Picked up a bottle at Total Wine here in Houston about a month ago. 110.3 proof, finished in Maker's 46, Roasted French Mocha, and Toasted French Spice oak finishing staves.

It's delicious, but packs quite a punch. Thinking I will need to save this one for when it cools down some this winter. Wondering if anyone else has seen this or tried it.

Also, I have been drinking Maker's for years now. It's my go to, as my usual drink is an Old Fashioned. Love the smoothness of it. What are some recommendations going into the fall and winter for a nice bourbon to sip neat or with a single cube on the patio as it cools down? Reading previous posts, I have marked down Eagle Rare, Blanton's, and Angels Envy so far. Any recommendations?

Got some Blade & Bow as a gift for my birthday and it is really quite tasty.

baldeandbow.jpg

Has anyone else tried the Maker's Private Select? Picked up a bottle at Total Wine here in Houston about a month ago. 110.3 proof, finished in Maker's 46, Roasted French Mocha, and Toasted French Spice oak finishing staves.

It's delicious, but packs quite a punch. Thinking I will need to save this one for when it cools down some this winter. Wondering if anyone else has seen this or tried it.

Also, I have been drinking Maker's for years now. It's my go to, as my usual drink is an Old Fashioned. Love the smoothness of it. What are some recommendations going into the fall and winter for a nice bourbon to sip neat or with a single cube on the patio as it cools down? Reading previous posts, I have marked down Eagle Rare, Blanton's, and Angels Envy so far. Any recommendations?

As a Kentuckian I feel I need to respond, but I always hesitate to make too many suggestions. I'm never sure what bourbon's are readily available in the shelves in other parts of the country. Luckily, almost everything can be found in and around Louisville as long as you know the right people or are diligent in your search. Having said that here are a few suggestions that I would think could be found most places (in no particular order):

Michter's American Whiskey

Noah's Mill

Blanton's

Angel's Envy

Elmer T. Lee (may be hard to find)

Four Roses Small Batch

Elijah Craig 12 year (the age Statement may be gone now)

Eagle Rare

As a Kentuckian I feel I need to respond, but I always hesitate to make too many suggestions. I'm never sure what bourbon's are readily available in the shelves in other parts of the country. Luckily, almost everything can be found in and around Louisville as long as you know the right people or are diligent in your search. Having said that here are a few suggestions that I would think could be found most places (in no particular order):

Noah's Mill

Blanton's

Angel's Envy

Four Roses Small Batch

Eagle Rare

Hilltopper, thanks for the suggestions!! Will hit the shop later today and see what I can find!

Anyone know of a Pappy's expert:

I'm trying to date my bottles of 23 yo and Google doesn't cut it. I know 2 were bottled in 2005 labelled "A" bottles. A third bottle just has a number on it, no letter.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

Anyone know of a Pappy's expert:

I'm trying to date my bottles of 23 yo and Google doesn't cut it. I know 2 were bottled in 2005: A319 and A614. A third bottle just has a number on it #267.

let me know what you are looking for. If the info can be found I could try to help you. I have many connections at buffalo trace.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some Larceny Bourbon over my lunch break today (to try tonight of course).

Any thoughts? Seems to be pretty highly regarded and wasn't very expensive ($25ish after tax).

I love Larceny. Great daily drinker for the $$

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Weller Antique 107 is my preferred low cost choice, but it is hard to find. I like Eagle Rare as my first alternate (so I drink it a lot).

I have half a bottle of Antique that I almost refuse to drink just because I know I'll never find anymore, lol.

Eagle Rare is very solid, little more expensive than just WL Wellers, but still great for the price.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Just finished a bottle of Walking Stick. Bought it on a whim. It was quite good.

Worth your time if you like to experiment.

I’m a big fan of John Bowman, Eagle Rare, Basil-Hayden’s, and Walking Stick has a similar sweetness.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood 

Noah's Mill

Blanton's

Angel's Envy

Four Roses Small Batch

Eagle Rare

I’ve had all these except Noah’s Mill. I’ll have to try it.

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I was not wowed by Angel’s Envy. I don’t think I’d go out of my way to have it again.

I often forget about Michter’s. Thanks for the reminder of that one!

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood 

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I was not wowed by Angel’s Envy. I don’t think I’d go out of my way to have it again.

I wouldn't necessarily say you're in the minority on Angel's Envy. It doesn't "wow" me either. But I've never heard anybody say they flat out didn't like it. It's a safe recommendation to those looking to branch out a bit.

Out of those listed Michters is near the top if I were to rank them. Lots of people get confused and by the Michter's "Bourbon", but the American Whiskey is the special stuff.

If I had to rank the ones I listed (cost not a factor) it would probably look like this:

Blanton's

Michter's

Elmer T. Lee

Noah's Mill

Elijah Craig 12 year

Eagle Rare

Angel's Envy

Four Roses Small Batch

The top 3 would definitely make my top 10 favorite bourbons along with several others that are hard to find outside the bluegrass state.

I wouldn't necessarily say you're in the minority on Angel's Envy. It doesn't "wow" me either. But I've never heard anybody say they flat out didn't like it. It's a safe recommendation to those looking to branch out a bit.

Out of those listed Michters is near the top if I were to rank them. Lots of people get confused and by the Michter's "Bourbon", but the American Whiskey is the special stuff.

If I had to rank the ones I listed (cost not a factor) it would probably look like this:

Blanton's

Michter's

Elmer T. Lee

Noah's Mill

Elijah Craig 12 year

Eagle Rare

Angel's Envy

Four Roses Small Batch

The top 3 would definitely make my top 10 favorite bourbons along with several others that are hard to find outside the bluegrass state.

I really like the Michters sour mash when I'm looking to switch things up a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, was wondering if anyone is willing to help me pick my next bottle. I'm not an expert and haven't tried a ton. With so many options it's hard to choose what to get next. Looking for a good value bottle ($30-$70). Buffalo trace is decent to me and love WT101. It just tastes right to me. My least favorite is woodford reserve. Considering larceny, blantons, Russell reserve, 4rose SB, or weller12 if I can find it. Always hear good things about these but haven't tried any. Is there some that I should consider before these?

Hey, was wondering if anyone is willing to help me pick my next bottle. I'm not an expert and haven't tried a ton. With so many options it's hard to choose what to get next. Looking for a good value bottle ($30-$70). Buffalo trace is decent to me and love WT101. It just tastes right to me. My least favorite is woodford reserve. Considering larceny, blantons, Russell reserve, 4rose SB, or weller12 if I can find it. Always hear good things about these but haven't tried any. Is there some that I should consider before these?

Always enjoyed the Four Roses SB. A great sipping bourbon. Would recommend Walking Stick, which I first tried a few weeks ago, outstanding. Should be in the $45-$50 range.

Jim.

Jack.

Maker's.

Old Forester

God help me, I like the Jim Beam Red Stag.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Okay, winter is coming and so is the thirst. I'm taking notes, boys and girls. Thanks for the info.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a blantons guy since around 2004. To me it's just right.

Haven't been whiskey shoppin in a while. I know Wellers was impossible to find for a while, same with Blantons. I'd like to give Blantons a try once I can find a bottle.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22