Bourbon

GooseHook

Buffalo Trace has announced that they are investing 200 million into expansion. There will be 30 new warehouses built over the next 10 years, with one being built every 5 months. They will also be adding fermenting equipment as well as expanding bottling lines.

Regarding bourbon shortages, there should be more Buffalo Trace, Blantons, Eh Taylor and Eagle Rare this year.

Levels of Elmer T lee, Stagg, Wl Weller, and Van Winkle well be about the same as last year , Stagg and Pappy may yield a little more this year than last.

It is the Sonoma-Cutrer finish. It is much fruitier and less oaky than the normal and double oaked. If you enjoy wine finished whiskey then it is worth the pick up (if you can find it). I found it at an out of the way liquor store in El Paso on the way to golf in Phoenix. I am always on the hunt for Bourbon.

I have the 1838 White Corn, Straight Malt, and Classic Malt as well. They aren't anything special. My top two from Woodford are this Sonoma and the Double Oaked Single Barrel.

It is the Sonoma-Cutrer finish. It is much fruitier and less oaky than the normal and double oaked. If you enjoy wine finished whiskey then it is worth the pick up (if you can find it). I found it at an out of the way liquor store in El Paso on the way to golf in Phoenix. I am always on the hunt for Bourbon.

I have the 1838 White Corn, Straight Malt, and Classic Malt as well. They aren't anything special. My top two from Woodford are this Sonoma and the Double Oaked Single Barrel.

I just got the 1838 White corn, have the sonoma-cuter but it's nearly done. I thought I would do something nice and give my dad and uncle a nice glass of it. They both complained the whole time about the taste. Sat there gritting my teeth and wondering why I do dumb things.

Anyone have experience with E.H. Taylor small batch/ single barrel. Saw it at my local total wine and was thinking about grabbing some.

Just finished my first glass of this. I'm not a connoisseur so I can't give you the details but I will say it's incredible. I'm a big Blanton's guy and this may be my new favorite.

My review: it's damn good. Don't hesitate to give it a go!

I just got the 1838 White corn, have the sonoma-cuter but it's nearly done. I thought I would do something nice and give my dad and uncle a nice glass of it. They both complained the whole time about the taste. Sat there gritting my teeth and wondering why I do dumb things.

I have levels of bourbon. I have some good standbys that are cheap/readily available that if someone really wants a whiskey/coke or whiskey/soda I will give them that. I have good mid tier bourbon for those who want to try something new/are trying to get into bourbon, then top shelf stuff for special occasions/those who will truly enjoy it. Fortunately my Dad appreciates good whiskey.

Had Jefferson Ocean for the first time tonight and man was it good. Wouldn't be a daily drinker but it had a very smooth finish and a sweetness to it that I really enjoyed. Just can't do $90 a bottle, I go through a bottle of Eagle Rare a week.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Had Jefferson Ocean for the first time tonight and man was it good. Wouldn't be a daily drinker but it had a very smooth finish and a sweetness to it that I really enjoyed. Just can't do $90 a bottle, I go through a bottle of Eagle Rare a week.

Agreed. Had two versions of Jefferson and was pumped to try it. For the price and story I was left underwhelmed.

At those prices I would be buying angels envy and not thinking twice

My local inebriation outlet gave me the tasting samples that they got of some new Jefferson. I think it was the four individual bourbons that they blend for it, or maybe it was just a few of their different bourbons to be tested to see which ones to start selling.

They were great. It ranged from heavily oaked and nearly bitter to much milder.

It was interesting to taste different versions from the same maker side by side.

which version did you try? I've had the first 4 voyages, and I noticed it seemed to jump in my local stores from voyage 4 to voyage 7...also, the price went from $70 to $99 for the latest version....I love Jefferson's, I think they are master blenders and great finishers (I don't think they actually make any of the raw bourbon or rye, they source it, then blend/finish it); don't see myself paying $99+ tax for it however

Some of my acquisitions. The Four Roses is barrel proof, and the EH is barrel proof as well.

Dude ... awesome ... What is the blend of the FRSB Store Pick? They are the best value in bourbon, IMO ....

Have had most of those outside of the EC23.

The Elijah Craig barrel proof is also so slept on ... very hot but soooo delicious once you get used to cask strength stuff.

Also I looooove the 2015 Birthday Bourbon. Man I need to snag a bottle but hate paying secondary.

Some of my acquisitions. The Four Roses is barrel proof, and the EH is barrel proof as well.

Dude ... awesome ... What is the blend of the FRSB Store Pick? They are the best value in bourbon, IMO ....

Have had most of those outside of the EC23.

The Elijah Craig barrel proof is also so slept on ... very hot but soooo delicious once you get used to cask strength stuff.

Also I looooove the 2015 Birthday Bourbon. Man I need to snag a bottle but hate paying secondary.

I got the OBSV. I know a lot of people at the liquor stores near me they try to help me out with most things (except Pappy and BT Antique collection, those are wait list only things) they usually let me know when they get new things. I managed to snag 2 of everything except the EC 23 so that will not be tried until the time is right. I have a about 4 drams left of my George T Stagg 2011 bottling, the stagg Jr is good but not a substitute for the real thing. The EC Barrel proof I think is a better alternative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bringing the old thread back to life with a question.

Anyone have anything they recommend thats similar to WL Wellers? I love Wellers (both the cost and the price), but for the life of me its becoming so hard to find in my neck of the woods. There is one place that has some and they'll sell you like a bottle a month and thats it, other places say they have it but aren't allowed to sell it (I guess they have it on reserve for someone). So I'm just looking for other tasty options.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Bringing the old thread back to life with a question.

Anyone have anything they recommend thats similar to WL Wellers? I love Wellers (both the cost and the price), but for the life of me its becoming so hard to find in my neck of the woods. There is one place that has some and they'll sell you like a bottle a month and thats it, other places say they have it but aren't allowed to sell it (I guess they have it on reserve for someone). So I'm just looking for other tasty options.

Weller is a wheated bourbon, so you're going to want to go in search of those. Elmer T. Lee is a top notch wheated at a decent price, but is also very hard to find in some areas (luckily, I live in Kentucky where anything is findable if you look hard enough). The "original" wheated bourbon and one of my daily drinkers is Old Fitzgerald Prime. Don't scoff at it when you see the price (it's cheap). It is well known in Kentucky and by Bourbon connoisseurs as being one of the best bang for your buck bourbons out there. I'd give it a try if I were you.

Makers Mark is the most mass produced wheated bourbon, but I'd go for a bottle of Old Fitz over Makers any day, especially when you compare the price tags.

I had the chance to do a little bit of the bourbon trail when I was out for this years Indy 500. We drove from Indy down to Kentucky and hit Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, and Buffalo Trace.

First off, what a pretty part of the country to drive through. All three of the places we went had nice facilities. I enjoyed hearing the presentations given by the different places. When we were walking into Wild Turkey a nice older gentlemen was holding the door open for us. We we got inside and were looking around we realized it was master distiller Jimmy Russell (Russell's Reserve). Would have tried to get him to sign a bottle had I realized who it was. Overall it was a pretty fun experience.

I will say that coming from Indy makes for a long day depending which distilleries you are visiting. You are looking at 2-3 hours each way depending where you go. It would certainly be easier if you were staying in Louisville. This isn't really a hit on the bourbon trail, just something to think about depending on where you are coming from.

I will say I had some disappointments with some aspects of the bourbon trail.

1. None of the places we went let you try anything that you can't buy at you're local Bevmo (if you have those near by) save for the "white dog" at Buffalo Trace. Perhaps I'm jaded from doing quite a bit of wine tasting in California but typically you are trying multiple things you can't find in stores. This partly has to do with the nature of the size of a winery vs a major liquor distiller but still, I was pretty bummed out by this.
  2. The other issue I had was with the size of the pours. I know they aren't trying to get you drunk on the spot but I feel like some of the pours given weren't really enough to get the full flavor profile of the whiskey poured.

I am of the opinion that since the whole bourbon trail is relatively new that some of these things will improve over time as the bourbon tourism industry grows and the laws become a bit more accommodating.

If I were to go back in a couple years I'd probably focus on tasting around downtown Louisville as there seem to be more tasting rooms opening there.

I had the chance to do a little bit of the bourbon trail when I was out for this years Indy 500. We drove from Indy down to Kentucky and hit Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, and Buffalo Trace.

First off, what a pretty part of the country to drive through. All three of the places we went had nice facilities. I enjoyed hearing the presentations given by the different places. When we were walking into Wild Turkey a nice older gentlemen was holding the door open for us. We we got inside and were looking around we realized it was master distiller Jimmy Russell (Russell's Reserve). Would have tried to get him to sign a bottle had I realized who it was. Overall it was a pretty fun experience.

I will say that coming from Indy makes for a long day depending which distilleries you are visiting. You are looking at 2-3 hours each way depending where you go. It would certainly be easier if you were staying in Louisville. This isn't really a hit on the bourbon trail, just something to think about depending on where you are coming from.

1. None of the places we went let you try anything that you can't buy at you're local Bevmo (if you have those near by) save for the "white dog" at Buffalo Trace. Perhaps I'm jaded from doing quite a bit of wine tasting in California but typically you are trying multiple things you can't find in stores. This partly has to do with the nature of the size of a winery vs a major liquor distiller but still, I was pretty bummed out by this.
  2. The other issue I had was with the size of the pours. I know they aren't trying to get you drunk on the spot but I feel like some of the pours given weren't really enough to get the full flavor profile of the whiskey poured.

I am of the opinion that since the whole bourbon trail is relatively new that some of these things will improve over time as the bourbon tourism industry grows and the laws become a bit more accommodating.

If I were to go back in a couple years I'd probably focus on tasting around downtown Louisville as there seem to be more tasting rooms opening there.

Spot on assessment, I had the same experience (minus meeting Russel!)

Check out Lexington too, lots of great Bourbon bars.

First, I'm glad you enjoyed Kentucky. It is a beautiful place. Sometimes I don't think it gets it's due in that area, but I am certainly biased. I am fortunate to live within a 45 minute drive of both Louisville and Bardstown. It is really the bourbon mecca. Personally, I prefer the smaller distilleries when I'm touring. Just seems to be more of a personal touch and true Kentucky hospitality. 1792 in Bardstown is a fun place to visit. Jim Beam, while interesting, is all that is wrong with the bourbon craze. Commercialized and crowded. They just want to get you in and out to make room for the next group.

I agree with both of your complaints about the trail, but there are reasons for both. The reason you can't get a rare pour on the trail is because there simply isn't enough juice. We are still in the middle of the bourbon boom. Most good bourbons are aged at least 10 years, some 12,15, 20, or more. When those bourbons were put into the barrels they weren't producing enough to meet current demands. Some bourbons can only allocate a few bottles to their distributor. They certainly don't have enough for tastings. The wine in California has a new vintage each year, Kentucky bourbon must wait a decade or more for production to catch up with demand.

The small pours are Kentucky law. If you sample four 1/2 oz. pours at a distillery (the legal maximum) you've had 2 oz. of bourbon. There are people that hit 8-10 distilleries in a day. That is upwards of 20 oz. of bourbon. That is A LOT of bourbon for a day. Changing the law to four 1 oz. pours could up that total to near 40 oz. of bourbon which would obviously be s dangerous situation. I don't see that law ever changing.

I hope you make it back to Kentucky and the trail soon. Louisville's urban bourbon trail is fantastic too. Lots of really cool places to get a drink. The lobby bar in the Brown is one of my favorites. And if you go to the Seelbach bar, be sure you go downstairs to the Rathskeller where Capone was known to drink and the inspiration for Gatsby was born. That place oozes with history (and they have a great bourbon selection in the bar).

• 5 weeks later...

anyone drinking Old Forrester 1870? I have mostly liked the Buffalo Trace line, Blantons, Rare Eagle, and Buffalo Trace, but I stumbled on the 1870 and I really like it.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

First, I'm glad you enjoyed Kentucky. It is a beautiful place. Sometimes I don't think it gets it's due in that area, but I am certainly biased. I am fortunate to live within a 45 minute drive of both Louisville and Bardstown. It is really the bourbon mecca. Personally, I prefer the smaller distilleries when I'm touring. Just seems to be more of a personal touch and true Kentucky hospitality. 1792 in Bardstown is a fun place to visit. Jim Beam, while interesting, is all that is wrong with the bourbon craze. Commercialized and crowded. They just want to get you in and out to make room for the next group.

I agree with both of your complaints about the trail, but there are reasons for both. The reason you can't get a rare pour on the trail is because there simply isn't enough juice. We are still in the middle of the bourbon boom. Most good bourbons are aged at least 10 years, some 12,15, 20, or more. When those bourbons were put into the barrels they weren't producing enough to meet current demands. Some bourbons can only allocate a few bottles to their distributor. They certainly don't have enough for tastings. The wine in California has a new vintage each year, Kentucky bourbon must wait a decade or more for production to catch up with demand.

The small pours are Kentucky law. If you sample four 1/2 oz. pours at a distillery (the legal maximum) you've had 2 oz. of bourbon. There are people that hit 8-10 distilleries in a day. That is upwards of 20 oz. of bourbon. That is A LOT of bourbon for a day. Changing the law to four 1 oz. pours could up that total to near 40 oz. of bourbon which would obviously be s dangerous situation. I don't see that law ever changing.

I hope you make it back to Kentucky and the trail soon. Louisville's urban bourbon trail is fantastic too. Lots of really cool places to get a drink. The lobby bar in the Brown is one of my favorites. And if you go to the Seelbach bar, be sure you go downstairs to the Rathskeller where Capone was known to drink and the inspiration for Gatsby was born. That place oozes with history (and they have a great bourbon selection in the bar).

Thanks for giving your input on the situation. Yeah I' sure there are plenty of challenges as to the supply of bourbon and the amount they want people to consume while tasting. Bourbon seems to be the "it" drink right now. I am sure things will improve as time goes on and they have time to grow and adapt to the demand.

I'd like to come back and check out more distilleries (smaller ones in particular) and the urban bourbon trail. I was really wanting to go to Old Forester downtown (it's my go to for inexpensive "day to day" and cocktail bourbon) but the new tasting room wasn't open yet unfortunately.

anyone drinking Old Forrester 1870? I have mostly liked the Buffalo Trace line, Blantons, Rare Eagle, and Buffalo Trace, but I stumbled on the 1870 and I really like it.

It's on my "to try" list. Haven't gotten to it yet.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Couple of faves from some new ones I've tried recently

Rebel Yell 10 y.o. Single Barrel. Not to be confused with the standard Rebel Yell bourbon (which is swill) this was an amazing bottle. I almost cried when I finished it. Delicious and I haven't been able to find any since.

Henry McKenna 10 y.o. BiB Single Barrel. Not as good as the Rebel but about $20 cheaper and much easier to find. Awesome daily drinker.

Honorable Mention:

OGD 114. Comes in a notch below Henry but at 114 proof its a little hot. Might want to consider adding a little water.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

A golf forum with a Bourbon thread. Now this is what I'm talking about.

Has anyone else tried the Maker's Private Select? Picked up a bottle at Total Wine here in Houston about a month ago. 110.3 proof, finished in Maker's 46, Roasted French Mocha, and Toasted French Spice oak finishing staves.

It's delicious, but packs quite a punch. Thinking I will need to save this one for when it cools down some this winter. Wondering if anyone else has seen this or tried it.

Also, I have been drinking Maker's for years now. It's my go to, as my usual drink is an Old Fashioned. Love the smoothness of it. What are some recommendations going into the fall and winter for a nice bourbon to sip neat or with a single cube on the patio as it cools down? Reading previous posts, I have marked down Eagle Rare, Blanton's, and Angels Envy so far. Any recommendations?