Longest / Hardest Course You've Played??

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played some hard ones in my time, and some LONG tracks

Muirfield Village from the tips. Shot a 79 with two fatted SW's into ponds. Could've been one of my best ever save for 2 swings
Bethpage Black - 86 from the tips - ouch - TOUGH - wore out the 2 iron
RTJ Trail - North AL - 1995 - 7800 yards. (Pre Prov1) We moved up a deck after 4 holes and we were all scratch but were hitting 3W's into par 4's
Torrey Pines South - a beast at Sea Level
TPC Sawgrass - 55* and 30mph winds, 1 under after 7 and threw down an 82 or something else similarly rancid
Windswept Dunes - FLA longest - 7,600 - though pretty easy as it is WIDE open, was 3 or 4 over I think
Cougar Canyon - COL - 7,700 yards but 18% help with the thin air - you can hit 9 irons 180 yds if you want - loads of fun, dramatic
Tierra Del Sol - Aruba - played 3 times this Xmas - day 1 was 45mph steady - dead into the wind shots were a riot. 5/6 club wind. I did score well there though. If you can't hit a knockdown stay home and drink
Royal Melbourne - I played there 26 yrs ago, easy peasy off the tee but the GREENS .. my word Vinny. So firm and fast the members just take their pull carts right across them

Ping G430 10k 10.5* Diamana ZF 60x

Cally AI Smoke TD 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

We played a college event at Heartland Crossing in Camby Indiana about 3 years ago. The course measures about 7,200 yds from the tips with oh god 100+ bunkers probably. The first day was played under near perfect conditions with an average score of roughly 75 or so...I fired a 74 and if I remember correctly I was T22. Anyways overnight, one of the hurricanes that had been downgraded to a tropical storm came through and just drenched the place. There were only 2 people who broke 80 on day 2. Players all over the course were having trouble reaching par 4's in 2 me incuded. I went 74+88 and felt like I hit the ball better on day 2 than day 1. Oh to add insult to injury on day 2 the course was absolutely tipped out.

[quote name='Donkazoid' timestamp='1324805283' post='3985473']
Either you guys are rich or VERY GOOD players or both, cause there are some courses listed that I can only dream about playing on. lol :) Thanks for the input!

I do remember [b]US Pub qualifier[/b] at [b]Los Serannos South[/b] from [b]Jacks Blacks!![/b] Jeez...can the [b]USGA[/b] make a course difficult!! Greens [b]10-12 on the stimp[/b] depending on what time you went out. [b](36 in a day)[/b] The [b]rough was about 6.5" [/b]supposedly. (I thought it was thicker!) I'm pretty sure [b]even par made playoff[/b]. I think I shot 8 over...and felt good about it (after 36 holes) LOL...oh and it was like [b]105 degrees[/b] out there in the summer!!! [b]*Brutal*[/b]
[/quote]

I forgot about "Jack's Blacks"... that's Jack Kramer (the tennis player) who owns the club... The South Course IS the longest course in California... because anytime anybody makes a longer layout, Jack gets out the tractor and moves a tee box or two back until it is once again the longest...

I don't know what it plays now, but it has to be around 7700 at least... I didn't look when I was there last year for a tournament.

My first thought when reading this was, Man I don't get out much. The longest and toughest course I have played is Colbert Hills in Manhattan, Kansas. The Black and Blue tees (known as bruisers) are 7,525 with a course rating of 77.50 and a slope of 152 and then the Kansas wind starts to blow. Had the pleasure of being on the third green when a freak hail storm kicked in, good thing it didn't last to long.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

[quote name='oldhamer25' timestamp='1327076895' post='4124499']
My first thought when reading this was, Man I don't get out much. The longest and toughest course I have played is Colbert Hills in Manhattan, Kansas. The Black and Blue tees (known as bruisers) are 7,525 with a course rating of 77.50 and a slope of 152 and then the Kansas wind starts to blow. Had the pleasure of being on the third green when a freak hail storm kicked in, good thing it didn't last to long.
[/quote]

Colbert Hills ain't no joke!

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

My first thought when reading this was, Man I don't get out much...
[/quote]

Don't feel bad...I was looking up the stats getting ready to post the same! First time I played it was from the Bruisers in a 35mph wind. Played pretty well and shot 91.

Nice addition to the 5th as well, need to get back out and see that bunker in all it's glory!

[attachment=990425:339333410.jpg]

I did play in the Monster Mash in KC this year. Dubs Dread stretched out to 7800ish if I remember correctly...but it's a scramble so doesn't [i]really [/i]count.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

[quote name='UGotHustled' timestamp='1326329827' post='4068393']
Pauite Wolf coure in Vegas is a BEAST!!! Always windy, pushes 7700 yards,and some of the par 4's (498 to 515 yards)with the wind blowing, less then a handful of players on the planet can get on in regulation. Played a 144 man tournament, and 4 holes, no one could reach and these were good players from all over the country. Crazy!!!

[/quote]

Agreed best course in vegas especially considering the price most of um there are overrated and overpriced, not this one.

I like to play courses in Alabama when i visit my unce, and I haven't played it yet but Ross Bridge is 8,191 yards from the tips and 78.5/135...this is the longest course i've ever heard of. I wouldn't break 110 on it for sure.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I have to name a few, because I think "HARDEST" is relative depending on the style. In general I like courses that are challenging without stupid length.. makes me feel like the design is smarter. These are the courses that I feel challenge your mind, like every tree, shrub, and blade of grass is there for a reason.. to make you think.

1. Cherry Hills CC - This course was in great shape when I played it, very challenging but lots of fun. Beautiful William Flynn (Shinnecock) design. I just learned they are getting the BMW in 2013 or 14.. and I believe they have the US Amateur this year.
2. Pebble Beach - I played this about two weeks before the US Open, and frankly it was nearly impossible to shoot a good number. The rough was more then just penal, it was impossible. If it was a normal day though Pebble would not be that difficult IMHO.
3. Spyglass - I loved Spyglass, it was hard, but not to the point that I wasn't having a blast. Awesome course, I could play it every day and not get bored. I think it crushes Pebble.
4. Carnoustie - This was tough, the bunkers just challenge, the fairways get tight.. and the wind wasn't even blowing that hard the day I played.
5. El Niguel CC - Many may not know this one, in California, I have played it many times as my buddy is a member. I have never played faster greens then these in the winter... legit 14-15. Great design, from the tips this is one challenging course.

this may not be the longest but def the toughest i've played ... TPC sawgrass, i'm no where near a scratch golfer, handicap of 11 but this course was very touch, driving the ball well is an absolutely must at this course, once you're in the pine straws, its trouble LOL.

have also played pebble beach which is quite long but seems like fairways are easy to find, i played one week before a champions tour event and the greens were insane, short game will a must on this course, 80 yards and in is more difficult then anything else i had to deal with that day

I've played many on this list....Oakmont, Winged Foot West, Kiawah Island, Pine Valley, etc. But none compare to last year when I played Karsten Creek 3 days before the NCAA Championship started in OK St's backyard. It was the hardest setup I've ever played, the rye rough was an absolute beast and that also includes playing Pebble 2 weeks before the US Open in '10.

[quote name='D0ch0l1d4y' timestamp='1327090312' post='4125913']
My first thought when reading this was, Man I don't get out much...
[/quote]

Don't feel bad...I was looking up the stats getting ready to post the same! First time I played it was from the Bruisers in a 35mph wind. Played pretty well and shot 91.

Nice addition to the 5th as well, need to get back out and see that bunker in all it's glory!

[attachment=990425:339333410.jpg]

I did play in the Monster Mash in KC this year. Dubs Dread stretched out to 7800ish if I remember correctly...but it's a scramble so doesn't [i]really [/i]count.
[/quote]

Nice - I was wondering if anyone would mention Colbert Hills! Best part is that unlike almost every other course mentioned in this thread, it's a relatively cheap muni. Played it many times while I was there in college.

We've got a similarly (though not quite as) difficult public course here in the Denver area called Colorado National, CU's home course. It's 7676 yards, 141/75.4, and like CH usually windy. Very reasonable cost. Played my best round ever there (relative to rating) from the tips, a one under 71.

A few times a year I play Stone Harbor Golf Club which Golf Digest rated as the 42nd most difficult golf course in the world when it ranked them a few years back. I can shoot mid 80s on it now. Ridiculously difficult to near impossible if you don't know the layout well. Its got one par 4 that features a small island fairway then you hit into a peninsula green surrounded on 3 sides by water. From the tee on this hole you can't tell how long the fairway island is and its real easy to hit a good tee shot only to find that it went long and into the drink. Below is a shot of that hole along with a fun par 3 beside it.

stoneharbor.jpg

Another hole.

stoneharbor.jpg

[quote name='tincup09' timestamp='1324431757' post='3968473']
Bethpage Black. 76.6 - 148 - 7300 yds. Always tough after sleeping in your car in the parking lot to get a tee time. After the first four holes, you start to think your ok, then you get to 5, 7,9, 10 etc... It's a tough one, but the greens can be had.
[/quote]

This +1000000. Hard course made much more difficult by sipping Genesee Cream Ale all night before playing instead of sleeping. Lol college days. Played there in '99. Do they still have the guy going around to make sure there are people with the car at 3am?

[b]Callaway[/b] 10.5 815 DBD, Diamana W series 70X
[b]Taylormade [/b]'16 M1 3 wood, Diamana D+ X
[b]Titleist[/b] 910 19* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Adams[/b] 9031 23* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Srixon[/b] z765 5-pw, Modus 3 120 X
[b]Mizuno[/b] MP-T5 50*, TT DG S300
[b]Vokey[/b] SM6 55* & 60*, TT DG S200

[quote name='putterzz' timestamp='1328211725' post='4198581']
Teal wing in Hayward Wi, short but extremely narrow
Wolf Creek in Mesquite NV
[/quote]

wolf creek? I read it was in the top 25 hardest courses in the country, but its one of those course where if you follow their handicap recommendations you will do fine. If you can hit it semi straight you will do well, the green complexes are that of a muni course.
I found it easy, course knowledge could have got me down a few shots since i didnt know i could drive 13 at the time.

also palm disney but only when windy, played in the wind about 35mph and first 6 holes all gir and was one over as greens were speedy as hell and windy so 3 putted a bit but hit few balls in water on 7th and wind was so bad after think i shot 83 being a aspiring pro and shooting a 67 there week before id say in wind disney is hard, well florida golf

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1324575337' post='3976005']
Easy answer for me: Bull Valley, Woodstock, IL

7,325 yards Tip of The Horn 77.2 Rating 151 Slope

America's 50 Toughest Golf Course 2007 Golf Digest
[/quote]

I played here at the end of the season and I have to agre this course is a b!#@* !

Jimmy

No particular order.
Stadium Course PGA West. Keep it in play your good miss a little not so good. Visually brutal off most tee boxs.

Bulle Rock Md. #5 par 4 all up hill. #9 a carry in the 280+ range over water needed to reach the fairway to be able get home in 2.

Caves Valley Md. Not overly long. Keep it in play or it will be a very long day.

I'd like to second (or third) a few courses already on the list:

1. Bethpage Black - there are tougher greens, but you don't want to be above the pin on 15 (just ask Tiger or Phil). My best golf buddy has blind-shot pitched it in for birdie twice there after laying up with his second to the bottom of the hill, the second time while he was telling me about the first...

2. Ko'olau - golf in the Jurassic Park-like rainforest of Oahu; a long course plays longer. Make friends with your playing partners; you'll be keeping a close eye on each other's tee shots, even forecaddying when possible, to minimize ball loss (elevated tees > plugged balls in the fairway). At least the spam musubi at the turn is tasty!

And add one:

3. Engineers CC, Roslyn Harbor NY - a local favorite; hosted the 1919 PGA. Not long, but this is a player's club; the members have maintained the old, extreme green contours. Add modern close mowing & things get sadistic; get out of position with your approach & you're basically putting on glass over / around ancient burial mounds. It's no longer part of the regular 18, but if you can get out there, make sure to play the old 14th hole. It's a 90-yd (no misprint) par 3 that Bobby Jones & Gene Sarazen dubbed "Two or Twenty" for the double-digit scores they both made on it during the 1919 PGA. Beyond-tiny, crowned green surrounded by small deep bunkers; never seen another hole like it.

Pete S.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

The Bridges....NorCal.

Played a Monday qualifier there for the TPC Stonebrae Nationwide Tournament....of all the aspiring pros that played that day...tee times were delayed 60 minutes due to horrific play...and there were maybe 4 rounds (morning times) under par. There was a 20-30 knot wind blowing...but nevertheless Johnny Miller was smoking crack when he designed this course.

913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
910Fd - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
712CB - KBS Tour S+
SM4 - KBS Tour S
2014 Fastback
ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Delman' timestamp='1328507247' post='4222247']
The Bridges....NorCal.

Played a Monday qualifier there for the TPC Stonebrae Nationwide Tournament....of all the aspiring pros that played that day...tee times were delayed 60 minutes due to horrific play...and there were maybe 4 rounds (morning times) under par. There was a 20-30 knot wind blowing...but nevertheless Johnny Miller was smoking crack when he designed this course.
[/quote]

the first two times i played it, i'd totally agree with you however, i've played it about 8 times since and once you learn the course and learn to lay-up, its really not that bad. i play to a 15 handicap and have been shooting under that number pretty consistently. the two most difficult parts of the Bridges are the plateaued fairways and the whole course being a risk-reward enticing you to go for the green. it's difficult to lay-up but once you do, the course is actually pretty damn fun.

in fact, i posted in this thread to also second the mentions of the [b]Ranch Golf Club in San Jose, CA[/b]. all tees are elevated to extremely narrow sloped fairways into natural preserved OB's. there are more than a few tees 100 feet above 30 yard wide targets surrounded by creeks and canyons. this place is punishing - extremely punishing. as mentioned previously, "[b]Black : 6747 yards 72.8/150[/b]". yuck... but i am going back next week for revenge.

check out the Yelp comments - lol

[url="http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-ranch-golf-club-san-jose"]http://www.yelp.com/...f-club-san-jose[/url] - "When someone took a developer and architect out there and said "We want to put a golf course here." The reply should have been, "It can't be done."

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

3 toughest I've played:

3 - Bethpage Black - only played it once in a driving rain, but could see how this course could be brutal in even beautiful conditions.

2 - Ocean Course at Kiawah Island - gorgeous, long, windy, brutal

1 - Oakmont - played it a few years ago in the PA Open, this course never lets up. There are no breathers. It was firm, fast, and scary the first day. It rained overnight, so the second day it was long. We played the greens at 14.5. I had nightmares about being lost in bunkers for weeks after that experience. I talked to 4 members and they all said they didn't enjoy playing the course.

[quote name='golf4ever27' timestamp='1330064744' post='4365001']
3 toughest I've played:

3 - Bethpage Black - only played it once in a driving rain, but could see how this course could be brutal in even beautiful conditions.

2 - Ocean Course at Kiawah Island - gorgeous, long, windy, brutal

1 - Oakmont - played it a few years ago in the PA Open, this course never lets up. There are no breathers. It was firm, fast, and scary the first day. It rained overnight, so the second day it was long. [b][i]We played the greens at 14.5.[/i][/b] I had nightmares about being lost in bunkers for weeks after that experience. I talked to 4 members and they all said they didn't enjoy playing the course.
[/quote]

Wow...just wow. I've been on Somerset in NJ when they were rolling 12+ and that was ridiculous...if anyone's ever seen some of those greens, I dont need to say anymore. The 2nd hole (par 3)...if you can get within 25 ft of the pin- any pin placement on that green- you are lucky.

M1, ad di7x
rbz 3w, ad dj8x
Titleist TMB 2 iron, ti X100
mp68 4-pw, ti x100
Vokey 52* (x100), 56* (X100) ,60* (s400)
Scotty Mid Slant
ProV1x

[quote name='Donkazoid' timestamp='1324349419' post='3963397']
Mine was: [b]Thanksgiving Point[/b] in Utah 7,728 yds! 76.2 rating 140 slope (Par 72) DID NOT break 80! Doubled the 18th for 81 :( (Shot 37-44 = 81 LOL) The back nine was over 4,000 yds and windy!! Sweet track!!
[/quote]

I wont argue with you on this one. I have played TP many times but never from the tips It all I can handle from the one up still over 74 rating. And miller went crazy with the greens you better be in the proper level or you are screwed. He built this course to be a PGA Tour level track in hope to get a tourney here. They had a tourney that ran for 12 years called the Champions Challenge and players from ladies, men, senior tours all played in a team format it was pretty cool hated to see it end a couple years ago.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

[quote name='tincup09' timestamp='1324431757' post='3968473']
Bethpage Black. 76.6 - 148 - 7300 yds. Always tough after sleeping in your car in the parking lot to get a tee time. After the first four holes, you start to think your ok, then you get to 5, 7,9, 10 etc... It's a tough one, but the greens can be had.
[/quote]

And you know this!!!
I have played the Black many times and have been lucky enough to have tee times and did not have to sleep in my car. First time I played from the tips I tripled 17 for a 90 and I played really good. I had a look at a 12 footer for birdie on 18 to break 90 but missed it. So the next time I played there I had another go from the tips and shot 95. Now I play the whites and enjoy it a bit more.

I would also say Chambers Bay but when I played it I played the one up's and it was tough.

Another local track is Soldier Hollow Gold Course it will be hosting the US Pub Links this summer so you can check it out on TV. From the tips 7600 74.9 but the back nine is really tight and the greens can be slick. They have hosted the Utah State Am the past few years and when they let the rough go and trick it up it plays harder then the 74.9 -

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"