I got my i20's thread

PINGWRXforeme

I agree on the long irons. A touch too big and I didn't like the visible cavity on the 3 iron (which pushed me to commit to my first 20* hybrid). The 6 iron down is money.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1330054048' post='4364039']
Agree on the long irons. I only have the 4, and can't stand to look at it. Anyone ground it to make the sole play thinner?
[/quote]

Maybe PING is listening and can mock up a 4-iron JUST like the 6? I swear I would be in iron heaven.....

TM '17 M2 9.5* - Accra Tour Z X465 M4
PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron TEI3

[quote name='bazinky' timestamp='1330050714' post='4363571']
[quote name='SlowRain' timestamp='1330020879' post='4359301']
Arrived today!!!
[/quote]

Great looking set! Just what I need to hold me over. Are those yellow dot KBS stiffs? That's the set-up I'm waiting to have delivered.

Just curious, what made you go with the KBS? I loved the CFS stiff, but my fitter thought I would need to hard-step them to get as good of numbers (especially dispersion wise) as I got with the KBS. Tried the DGS300 (which was actually my top selection from the Mizuno shaft optimizer), but it lagged WAY behind the CFS and KBS. I ultimately decided to go with the standard KBS stiff on his recomendation. The differences weren't huge, but it was about a quarter club. To paraphrase him, he basically said that if I couldn't play with the numbers I was getting from the KBS stiff/i20 combo, I ought to find a new hobby ...
[/quote]

Pretty much the same. I have always played TT DGS300's and after trying the KBS (yes, those are stiff and have yellow dot) I got a higher ball flight...which was never an issue for me, but I also liked the feel of them better. That plus the numbers during fitting showed them to be the best choice for me.

[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Ping G 400 LST 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3&5 Fairway Woods Graphite Design AD DI[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 19* Hybrid Stock Shaft[/size]
[size=2]Ping G 400 4-PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105's[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Titleist SM6 52/12 and 58/12[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Bridgestone B330RX or B330S[/size][/i][/color]

[quote name='GetmeouttaJersey' timestamp='1330054743' post='4364105']
[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1330054048' post='4364039']
Agree on the long irons. I only have the 4, and can't stand to look at it. Anyone ground it to make the sole play thinner?
[/quote]

Maybe PING is listening and can mock up a 4-iron JUST like the 6? I swear I would be in iron heaven.....
[/quote]

for me i never minded the size/shape of the long irons. in fact, it oddly gives me confidence at address that there is some beef behind this club to help get the ball launched high and long.

i guess i'm a weirdo but i've been diggin' (not literally) the long irons

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:4834226]

[quote name='GetmeouttaJersey' timestamp='1330053115' post='4363903']
[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1330030069' post='4360669']
One of the shaft choices was Dynamic Gold. That surprised me for some reason. I wonder how many folks choose that shaft and if their reason is simply familiarity. Although I went with the CFS, having never played it. What would be the largest difference between the CFS and the Dynamic Gold shaft?
[/quote]

Woodridge,

I've been a DG S300 guy forever and I got very, very similar performance between the CFS and the S300. For me, I went with familiarity and I couldn't be happier. I played my first round with them today and really was solely focusing on finding out if I could still hit "all the shots" that I was able to hit with my MBs.

I am totally impressed. These are still totally workable, 0 ballooning whatsoever, and I was able to hit all the windows I could possibly want. I'm sure the CFS would have worked out fine, but for me, being that the numbers were so similar, I went with DG.

For the price, I couldn't be happier...If I had one complaint and it would be a totally picky thing to say, is that I wish they DIDN'T make the 4-5 irons so forgiving. If they kept the same profile from 6-PW, I would be in iron heaven. I had a harder time adjusting to the longer irons in terms of head size, etc, than I did with the short irons, which I was so, so impressed with.

The distance gains are impressive and the fact that I was able to hit everything on a string was pretty unbelievable. I'm easily a club longer MINIMUM but can still hit all those feel, sawed off shots that I love to hit.

If you're on the fence....jump.
[/quote]

Great post. I get where you are coming from on the longer irons. I only ordered the 6-UW because I have a 4 and 5 hybrid. I was on the fence about ordering the SW and LW, but didn't pull the trigger at this point. I want to use the UW on the course first and decide after. Based on your review, I can't wait to get them in hand. I have about 2 weeks before they come in.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Just curious, but what info does ping send with the clubs. This is my first set of custom irons, and was wondering if ping sends the measured specs of the clubs as well as your ordered specs.

I'll be having my shop check everything too, but was just curious.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I'm not a big fan of the look of the long irons either, but love the results. They are extremely easy to hit, I no long have a hybrid in the bag.

Ping G430 Max 10K UST Lin-Q Black 6f5
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping S159 50S 54S UST Daet V 120 F5

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

You guys are scarring me. I ordered a set blind (well I've seen them but not hit them)
I'm a long iron player - How ugly / big is the 3 iron? To be honest I really don't care as long as it hits nice.

Can somebody give me a review of the 3 or 4 irons?

Coming from VR TW Blades for years then AP2s.

Notice a trend in forgiveness?

Ping 10k Driver

Ping 430 Hybrid 19 

Titleist T150 4-PW PX LZ 6.0

SM10 Nickle 52F 56S 60M

Bettinardi Queen B 6

Just curious, but what info does ping send with the clubs. This is my first set of custom irons, and was wondering if ping sends the measured specs of the clubs as well as your ordered specs.

I'll be having my shop check everything too, but was just curious.

b23bfe6e.jpg

PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Scotty Cameron TEI3

[quote name='hittingitlong' timestamp='1330093598' post='4365889']
You guys are scarring me. I ordered a set blind (well I've seen them but not hit them)
I'm a long iron player - How ugly / big is the 3 iron? To be honest I really don't care as long as it hits nice.

[/quote]

They're FAR from ugly. PING just added a TON of forgiveness in the 3-4 irons as compared to the look of the 5-6.

Don't get me wrong, I SMOKE them, but some of us probably don't need THAT much forgiveness....

PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Scotty Cameron TEI3

[/quote]

Well they aren't going to be the same as looking down at a blade or an AP2...which is what I was playing. The AP2's (the 712's) are progressively longer in the 3 through 5 iron and the i20's are as well. Not massive differences in my mind but it is discernable. In terms of forgiveness my 2 cents is the i20's are more so than the AP2's. You can begin to see the cavity on the i20's on the 3 & 4 iron, but it really doesn't bother me. Looks a little strange compared to the AP2's at address but certainly seems to be more forgiving. Is it a night and day difference? Not really in my mind.

If you have hit the MP-59's...they are sweet...but not very forgiving of something that isn't struck flush in the sweet spot. The AP2's are more forgiving than the MP-59's in that if you are just slightly off the sweet spot...you don't get penalized as much. The i20's are more so than the AP2's, but you aren't going to get a ton of forgivness off the toe. That is about as close to a trend I can see.

I do know that after the first trip to the range and hitting both the 3 and 4 irons, I am thinking the hybrids might go into the extra club bag for the time being. Very easy to hit both.

[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Ping G 400 LST 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3&5 Fairway Woods Graphite Design AD DI[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 19* Hybrid Stock Shaft[/size]
[size=2]Ping G 400 4-PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105's[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Titleist SM6 52/12 and 58/12[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Bridgestone B330RX or B330S[/size][/i][/color]

Mine shipped today can't wait. Before ordering I tried them out a lot and was fit. To me the long irons are part of the design of the set and add great forgiveness. I'll take the tradeoff in looks for added forgiveness, especially since this tradeoff isn't like playing shovels. Life is too short to not enjoy golf and I enjoy hitting good shots more than looking at butter knifes. But we all enjoy different things.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

[quote name='Saint308' timestamp='1330101946' post='4366849']
I'm a long iron player - How ugly / big is the 3 iron?

[/quote]

3 iron
[/quote]

thanks for the pic!

Ping 10k Driver

Ping 430 Hybrid 19 

Titleist T150 4-PW PX LZ 6.0

SM10 Nickle 52F 56S 60M

Bettinardi Queen B 6

[quote name='Pings2Win' timestamp='1330103661' post='4367037']
Are you supposed to have your hands that far ahead at address? I set up with my hands even with the shaft and don't see the cavity at address.

With the hands that far forward, isn't that delofting the club?

[/quote]

Inside left thigh.

All Ping

I don't mind the size or top line, I just don't like the visible cavity.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I finally get to join the party! Ordered mine from DD's (unreal price and service)last Wed. and received them today. 30-40 mph winds today, but I still might go out and hit them!

4-UW Green dot. +1/2" KBS Tour S (hardstepped once) and Midsize id8 full cord! D2 swingweight (4-9) D3 (PW-UW)

They feel and look amazing. I have both the i10's and a set of i15's and these look far better. As for the long iron debate, my longest is the 4 and the little bit of cavity doesn't bother me a bit.

Are you supposed to have your hands that far ahead at address? I set up with my hands even with the shaft and don't see the cavity at address.

[/quote]

Yes. My instructor told me that your left arm should be straight. So you need to have your hands far ahead for that to happen.

[quote name='Walkin36' timestamp='1330112109' post='4368259']
I finally get to join the party! Ordered mine from DD's (unreal price and service)last Wed. and received them today. 30-40 mph winds today, but I still might go out and hit them!

4-UW Green dot. +1/2" KBS Tour S (hardstepped once) and Midsize id8 full cord! D2 swingweight (4-9) D3 (PW-UW)

They feel and look amazing. I have both the i10's and a set of i15's and these look far better. As for the long iron debate, my longest is the 4 and the little bit of cavity doesn't bother me a bit.

[/quote]

Looking good!!! Let us know how they play.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[/quote]

Have you hit the i20's yet vs the i15's? Besides the looks is there really a huge gain in performance, honestly? Current i15 owner thinking about the i20's but not sure if it's worth it.

[quote name='DFinch' timestamp='1330109456' post='4367827']
I don't mind the size or top line, I just don't like the visible cavity.
[/quote]

The 3 and 4 are so easy I have not pulled my hybrid in three rounds. Seeing the cavity on the larger long irons inspires confidence and fly well!

[quote name='Saint308' timestamp='1330106863' post='4367487']

[/quote]

Inside left thigh.
[/quote]

I aim to always have the butt end of the shaft to the L of my zipper. So, I don't think the shaft in that picture is all that far forward...

PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Scotty Cameron TEI3

Talked to PING this afternoon. My irons left Phoenix yesterday will arrive here in snowy Michigan on Wednesday. I'm stoked. If the weather changes, I might get one round in before my shoulder surgery on 3/8.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1330120778' post='4369379']

[/quote]

Have you hit the i20's yet vs the i15's? Besides the looks is there really a huge gain in performance, honestly? Current i15 owner thinking about the i20's but not sure if it's worth it.
[/quote]

YES. I have both and by some voodoo magic, the i20's with the CFS shafts are not only longer (5-10 yards) but also more forgiving (mishit which would normally be a hook is just a severe draw). it was really shocking.

Just got the call from my shop! My irons came in on the afternoon delivery, so I'll get to pick them up tomorrow! Of course it's going to be in the 30's this weekend, after being 65 yesterday ...

Mother nature can be cruel sometimes.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Question, how does everyone feel about the white paintfill on the bottom groove of the irons?

This is my first set of PING irons and I'm not quite used to that "feature." I can see why it would help with alignment, but I am really considering removing the white paint. It just looks like a little much to me. I actually think no paintfill on the club face would give the face a "larger" look...not that that is needed with these irons...

PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Scotty Cameron TEI3