60k + memberships

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly. I belong to the course I grew up playing. Membership is under 1K per year, which buys stock in the club (essentially, member-owned). You could drive 4 hours in any direction and not find a better club.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='Conman48' timestamp='1335737394' post='4811314']
I see tons of pricey and impressive bags here everyday and it led me to wonder how many people on here are part of a high price membership? I am at a 60k course here in fr worth and no one I know at the club has been on the site. So let's hear it!
[/quote]

No I'm not a member at a pricey club.....the tier 1 clubs here in Vancouver have non-equity initiations of $60-80k.

Just curious...is your initiation equity or non-equity?

Due to the poor economy....I've heard some top rate clubs in the US now have with very reasonable equity initiations....but I might assume the annual dues are high based on members leaving.

[quote name='Nej1140' timestamp='1335752306' post='4812856']
60k membership?
[/quote]

Regrettably, I'm sure they exist.

Might even be common in the mega cities where the professional economy is still strong and the demand for golf is high.

Places like: Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and the like ?

They certainly still exist, but I think there are a lot fewer out there today than there were 8 or 10 years ago. There are even fewer that still have a waiting list.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

Shoot, there's still a seven-figure club in the NE...most of the high-dollar clubs aren't hurting too badly, from what I understand. Still, they're more rare than not. The truly prestigious older private clubs (think US Open) generally have far lower nuts due to greater ancillary revenues; the hurdle is getting the invitation, not the dough.

There are several nice clubs around me (10k+) but nothing even close to 60k. This just isn't the part of the country for it. Not to mention I would *never* pay that for a membership anywhere outside of Augusta or somewhere equally prestigious, even then I would have to be very, very wealthy to even consider spending that much on a membership. I have played country clubs that are PGA tour qualifier courses (monday qualifiying) that are very nice and well kept that have memberships under 2k a year with modest initiations. I don't see the need to spend that kind of money for golf, I'd need to be getting some serious business connections out of a high dollar club...

Mine is $1,500. It's literally 2 minutes from my house. I joined soley for the convience. It's too short, honestly. It's something like 5,900 yards. It is good for working on your short game, though. If you don't drive the green, you'll have a 30 yard pitch shot on. Sadly, no one I've played with (except for friends of mine) have shot below 90 when I've been playing with them. If these people played a 7,000 yard course, oh my.

[quote name='GatorNate11' timestamp='1335758494' post='4813392']
Mine is $1,500. It's literally 2 minutes from my house. I joined soley for the convience. It's too short, honestly. It's something like 5,900 yards. It is good for working on your short game, though. If you don't drive the green, you'll have a 30 yard pitch shot on. Sadly, no one I've played with (except for friends of mine) have shot below 90 when I've been playing with them. If these people played a 7,000 yard course, oh my.
[/quote]

Short course but If its tight and tricky its not too bad but if its just a real easy straight forward course it prob wouldnt do much for you when you go to play courses 6700+.. Recession here has forced a lot of very nice clubs to drop their "joining fee" altogether and now just have the annual subscription.. 5 years ago you couldnt get into my place unless you had big bucks, it was like 15k joining fee then 1k a year sub, the joining fee is now gone. Peach of a course, Par 72 6800 off whites 7200 off blues, Some of the big links up north are still very costly to join but a a whole, prices have tumbled a lot

I guess I just assumed that a figure in the $60K neighborhood is not that uncommon. I know of a lot of clubs in my area (mid-size midwest town) that charge about $20K for a full member initiation, then another $500-$800 per month on top of that. And those aren't even the best clubs in my town. My assumption had always been that the truly exclusive ones here were probably double that in terms of initiation and same monthly fees. And given that, my guess is that bigger cities are littered with clubs that cost over $60K to join. My guess is that the major country clubs of the US where they play PGA events, especially majors, are well into the six figures to join and probably four figures per month. As others mentioned here, they've heard of seven figures. I agree with the sentiment that getting asked to join is the hard part, but I think a base assumption is that you're not getting asked to join somewhere like Shinnecock for example unless the six or seven figure initiation fee isn't a problem for you by default. I have heard that a lot of those clubs are generous with high-level amateurs though. I remember an interview with Buddy Marruci (sp?) where they pushed him on that subject, and he is apparently a member at almost all of the big name clubs in the northeast given his track record in the US Am, Mid Am, Walker Cup, etc.

Now my club on the other hand is just over $300 per month with $0 initiation for my junior membership, and not too much more than that for a full member. And it's 3 miles from my house. Don't think I'll ever be stepping up past that level essentially regardless of how much money I make. That's just too rich for my blood for a golf membership.

[quote name='CallawayLefty' timestamp='1335808936' post='4816094']
I guess I just assumed that a figure in the $60K neighborhood is not that uncommon. I know of a lot of clubs in my area (mid-size midwest town) that charge about $20K for a full member initiation, then another $500-$800 per month on top of that. And those aren't even the best clubs in my town. My assumption had always been that the truly exclusive ones here were probably double that in terms of initiation and same monthly fees.

Now my club on the other hand is just over $300 per month with $0 initiation for my junior membership, and not too much more than that for a full member. And it's 3 miles from my house. Don't think I'll ever be stepping up past that level essentially regardless of how much money I make. That's just too rich for my blood for a golf membership.
[/quote]

Thats mega bucks

[quote name='Slapjax7s ' timestamp='1335809281' post='4816126']
some of my friends belong to Trump courses out here in NJ which cost up to $75k per year. I am a member of a nice club @ $1500 unlimited greens fees for a Junior Membership (up to age 36) No initiation or Food minimums.
[/quote]

jnr membership upto age 36, am i missing something?

some of my friends belong to Trump courses out here in NJ which cost up to $75k per year. I am a member of a nice club @ $1500 unlimited greens fees for a Junior Membership (up to age 36) No initiation or Food minimums.
[/quote]

Wow, $75K per year? I definitely believe it. If it costs $75K per year, probably cost $500K+ to join. Let's say you play the standard 50 rounds per year, which is unlikely for someone in Jersey, especially someone who has to work to make that kind of money. We're talking $1500 per round. Just crazy. I guess if you have that much money it really doesn't matter.

We have several.

A couple in the $140-$150 range. One is 80% and the other is 100% with an anytime exit.

Another at $125 for 50% and yet another at $45,000 with no equity. There is one more but I think it is a plaything for some rich dudes. Rumor has it it is $250,000 but I think they do not want any members.

Dues are not bad though $5,000-$9,000 per year. Oh wait.......that is for 5 months of a golf season.

Clearly no recession in the private golf world of the Colorado Rockies!!!!

[quote name='Tony_Ireland' timestamp='1335809487' post='4816152']
[/quote]

jnr membership upto age 36, am i missing something?
[/quote]

No most clubs in NJ do Junior Memberships as a second category up to ages 30-36. $1500 pays for all my golf, only thing I pay for is a cart if I chose to ride.

[quote name='CallawayLefty' timestamp='1335809611' post='4816174']
[/quote]

Wow, $75K per year? I definitely believe it. If it costs $75K per year, probably cost $500K+ to join. Let's say you play the standard 50 rounds per year, which is unlikely for someone in Jersey, especially someone who has to work to make that kind of money. We're talking $1500 per round. Just crazy. I guess if you have that much money it really doesn't matter.
[/quote]

I believe the initiation was $250k, $500 food & bev. min. Guest fees are $250+ caddie fees. It's easily $400 for a guest before they tee off.

I guess I just assumed that a figure in the $60K neighborhood is not that uncommon. I know of a lot of clubs in my area (mid-size midwest town) that charge about $20K for a full member initiation, then another $500-$800 per month on top of that. And those aren't even the best clubs in my town. My assumption had always been that the truly exclusive ones here were probably double that in terms of initiation and same monthly fees. And given that, my guess is that bigger cities are littered with clubs that cost over $60K to join. My guess is that the major country clubs of the US where they play PGA events, especially majors, are well into the six figures to join and probably four figures per month. As others mentioned here, they've heard of seven figures. I agree with the sentiment that getting asked to join is the hard part, but I think a base assumption is that you're not getting asked to join somewhere like Shinnecock for example unless the six or seven figure initiation fee isn't a problem for you by default. I have heard that a lot of those clubs are generous with high-level amateurs though. I remember an interview with Buddy Marruci (sp?) where they pushed him on that subject, and he is apparently a member at almost all of the big name clubs in the northeast given his track record in the US Am, Mid Am, Walker Cup, etc.

[/quote]

Marucci is/was a car dealer, Mercedes I believe, so not short on cash.

[quote name='stevopagolf' timestamp='1335811321' post='4816330']

[/quote]

Marucci is/was a car dealer, Mercedes I believe, so not short on cash.
[/quote]

Yeah, I knew that. But the implication in this interview was that he was a member, or at least had full playing privileges, at a host of courses by virtue of his playing record, not his wallet. Sounds like he was a successful guy, but not successful enough to be a full-fare member at a dozen of the world's top 50 courses. The article mentioned Merion, Pine Valley, and others...

EDIT: Here was the article I'm talking about [url="http://sportsillustr...712/4/index.htm"]http://sportsillustr...712/4/index.htm[/url], and I think I read elsewhere that those top clubs typically will extend memberships to big stick amateurs, especially courses like Pine Valley. If you look at it from their perspective, they don't need the cash and it's probably a nice "marketing" gesture to their members to have the guy who just won the Mid Am come up there a couple times a year to tee it up with the regular members.

[quote name='Conman48' timestamp='1335737394' post='4811314']
I see tons of pricey and impressive bags here everyday and it led me to wonder how many people on here are part of a high price membership? I am at a 60k course here in fr worth and no one I know at the club has been on the site. So let's hear it!
[/quote]

There seems to be a fair amount of confusion - even among the golf experts here - about how fees are structured.

To the poster above claiming $75K per year for a Trump course - I don't believe it for a second. $75K initiation? Absolutely. $225K initiation payable over three years (i.e. $75K per year times three)? Sure. $75K a year for DUES? No. That would be 5x the dues of Trump National Los Angeles. Liberty National is $25K per year (with a $250K initiation). Do you seriously think The Donald can command a 3x premium over Liberty National?

And then the people who wonder how golfers can be members of so many nice clubs. It's called National Membership. If you're an elite club (and I'll define that as any club that hosted a major before 1980), there's a pool of golfers who live thousands of miles away who will pay some small-ish amount of money for the right to come and play a few times a year. It's a win-win. You pay an initiation of something in the $10K range, and annual dues in the $1,000 range and you can play up to X times per year. These are a great revenue source for the receiving clubs.

[/quote]

Can I ask which course?

Slightly off topic, but thought this would be a funny story to share....The initiation at my club is around $30K (negotiable). I was paired last year during the member guest with one of our "founding members". Each of the founders had to ante up $50K. Anyway, the founding member has this nice leather bag with the club logo and his name. One of the other guys in the tournament was joking with him and asked if that bag cost him $50K. He gave it right back and told the guy no, it actually cost $50,600.