Olympia Fields......are u kidding me?

So in Chicago this week for the Ryder Cup and had an invitation to play Olympia Fields, The 2003 U.S. Open course. Known as a very private and prestigious course. Since only playing one round decided to rent vs. bring my clubs from San Diego and this is what I got.

8 year old set of Wilson's. All regular flex, 12* driver, no fairway wood, two identical 21* hybrids, no 4 iron, no 8 iron, three different manufacturer wedges from lost and found and a putter that looks like my dog used it for a chew toy. All the grips were cracked and slippery. Pretty sure this set could be bought for $20 at a local garage sale yet cost me $30 to rent. Unbelievable for a U.S. Open hosted private course.

Am I out of line expecting a "Top 100" course to have a reasonable set of playable rental clubs?

image-1.jpg

image.jpg

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5* Driver - Aldila Rogue 70s
Taylormade M6 16.5* HL Fairway - Aldila Rogue 80s

Cobra King TEC Utility 3U 19* - Aldila Rogue 80s
Cobra King Tours 4-PW - DG AMT White S300
Titleist SM9 50* & 56* wedges - DG S400
Taylormade Spider GTX Putter

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can honestly say I have never been to a private club that had a loaner set. Let alone a decent loaner set.

Perhaps the person that got you out there should be a wrx member and have 12 back up sets.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

[quote name='dartboss04' timestamp='1348696325' post='5700607']
First world problems
[/quote]

If that's the worst of the OPs problems, I am struggling to be sympathetic

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='SanDiegoSam' timestamp='1348690744' post='5700159']
So in Chicago this week for the Ryder Cup and had an invitation to play Olympia Fields, The 2003 U.S. Open course. Known as a very private and prestigious course. Since only playing one round decided to rent vs. bring my clubs from San Diego and this is what I got.

8 year old set of Wilson's. All regular flex, 12* driver, no fairway wood, two identical 21* hybrids, no 4 iron, no 8 iron, three different manufacturer wedges from lost and found and a putter that looks like my dog used it for a chew toy. All the grips were cracked and slippery. Pretty sure this set could be bought for $20 at a local garage sale yet cost me $30 to rent. Unbelievable for a U.S. Open hosted private course. Sorry just had to vent and laugh about it at the same time.

[/quote]

That is the Furyk memorial bag. During that 2003 US Open, he didn't hit his 4 or 8 iron, but almost wore out his hybrid, hence the make up of the bag. The hybrids have a spec of about +/- 3 degrees, so one might actually be 18 degrees and the other 24.

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

[quote name='Ranger Rick' timestamp='1348753065' post='5703739']
They didn't have demo clubs in the pro shop? They couldn't tape up some woods for you? No used irons or wedges you could have loaned? From such a prestigious club you might expect more.
[/quote]

I'm a member....why should our club inventory be available to demo to outside guests? No, we don't have a rack of used clubs like Golf Galaxy. We have brand new clubs so that people can buy......brand new clubs.

Fact of the matter is, with the Ryder Cup in town this is our busiest week. We have at least a few bags of very, very nice TM clubs that were likely spoken for before the op got there. If the op couldn't be bothered to bring his own clubs to play a top 50 course, that's the chance he took.

Had that happen to me in Ireland of all places. Had one day open on my trip to play a course just outside of Dublin didn't want to have to lug my bag around for two weeks of touring, paid 50 euro for the rental. Received a bad set of beat down, bent, mismatched clubs including one with a broken graphite shaft with a duct tape patch. Definitely not a good day to be a lefty, my family rented clubs as well, the right handed sets were low quality, but at least they were full sets.

[quote name='ATXgolfer ' timestamp='1348718485' post='5702679']
[quote name='dannytmc' timestamp='1348691242' post='5700219']
Seriously?
[/quote]

That's funny. Surprised nobody else got it.

OP should be happy that he got to play a round.
(that's another Wilson joke)
[/quote]

Eh, no love for Wilson...
Wonder if OP got paired up with Guy Johnson.

In any event, yes, he should have been happy to have played a round there, but honestly, there should have been better rentals.

99% of guests who show up the play at a private club, especially a top tier club, without their own golf clubs need nothing more than the basics anyways, and won't care what the rental bag has in it.. It doesn't make financial sense for the club to spend any money at all on rental clubs, when they probably won't be used that much by a discerning golfer. Maybe their thought process was, "Well, playing our course isn't important enough for somebody to bring their clubs, so it isn't very important to us to have a propert set."

[quote name='CPSOX' timestamp='1348757400' post='5704105']
They didn't have demo clubs in the pro shop? They couldn't tape up some woods for you? No used irons or wedges you could have loaned? From such a prestigious club you might expect more.
[/quote]

I'm a member....why should our club inventory be available to demo to outside guests? No, we don't have a rack of used clubs like Golf Galaxy. We have brand new clubs so that people can buy......brand new clubs.

Fact of the matter is, with the Ryder Cup in town this is our busiest week. We have at least a few bags of very, very nice TM clubs that were likely spoken for before the op got there. If the op couldn't be bothered to bring his own clubs to play a top 50 course, that's the chance he took.
[/quote]

Some of these replies are just mind boggling to me. Tape up brand new clubs to use because someone didn't bring their own? Its hard enough to sell new clubs as new let alone ones with blemishes and tape residue. Borrow one of the pros sets? I don't know a single pro that would allow such a thing. To top it all off, the guy gets a chance to play a top level private club and trashes the course and the experience. Its almost October in Illinois... I mean even if the service wasn't great and the course wasn't in tip-top shape for being late September you'd think... nevermind.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Entitlement. :-)

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[/quote]

[/quote]

Pretty snotty opinion IMO. I hope your whole club isn't like this.

[quote name='DLiver' timestamp='1348788102' post='5707081']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pretty snotty opinion IMO. I hope your whole club isn't like this.
[/quote]

Really? He already said they had a few sets of nice rental clubs that were likely spoken for. Not every nice club / course has 15 bags of nice rental sets. Doesn't matter where you are, when you don't have your own clubs, theres a chance you might not receive the nicest of rental sets.