2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

It is getting out of control with fans yelling stuff after players hit! (merged)

Eec55

[quote name='Frankensteins Monster' timestamp='1364816880' post='6735483']
[quote name='Quasimoto' timestamp='1364783496' post='6734065']
Take the question a step further. Why are golfers so temperamental?. In baseball, a batter stands at home plate trying to hit a ball coming at him at 90 mph with a roaring crowd and manages to do it. So what's so difficult about hitting a stationary golf ball that one has to have absolute silence. Take the question further again. Why should golf equate itself with baseball? Or perhaps hockey - we could have fan fights and fan penalty boxes. Next will be soccer fan-ism a la Europe, hooligan golf fans, that is just what we need. Why does our game have to descend to the same crass fan support level as contact sports? It is golf, with traditions of conduct. Don't like it - p*ss off.
[/quote]

So you're comparing a sport where 30,000 people are talking, yelling and screaming all the time to a sport where all of the sudden one fool screams out some unfunny quip? Is this real life?
[/quote]I don't think it is "all of a sudden one fool" anymore. It started as that some years ago, and was manageable. It has devolved into a situation where on the course at any given time there are 20, 30, or more di**heads yelling and shouting. Where does it go from here? is the point.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what's yelled after is idiotic. I'd like to see anyone of them get punched square in the face. The difference is it's one or a few people yelling nonsense at one time rather than 30,000 so it's even more annoying.

Just start punching them in the face. The more people see people getting punched in the face after they say something stupid the less likely others will be to follow their idiocy.

[quote name='nichho' timestamp='1364824278' post='6736049']
To answer your question, I once read of a golfing challenge where-by a players opponent was given 3 shouts instead of handicap shots. The player was aloud to shout in the ear of his opponent anytime he wanted to, the expectation being that he would shout during his backswing on some critical shot. The player with the shouts won handsomely, against the supposed odds, without shouting once; the expectation destroyed the concentration of the opponent.
It has been said in this thread already and stated here on numerous occasions, if a crowd was producing a football type noise it becomes the white variety, it's all blurred and you concentrate through it. If one dumb schmuck shouts it's like a bolt of lightning. These schmucks time it for after the strike but are so close to getting it wrong.
Finally, I don't know if you have noticed but in baseball they miss the ball more often than they hit it.................perhaps it's the noise?
[/quote]

100% on target regarding golf.

But in baseball, my experience is that once the pitcher goes into his wind up, you don't hear anything.

Too late to bring back public shaming?

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Personally I don't really care. However, I'll admit that I don't really think its all that funny (especially since its the same thing yelled every time). But, it seems impossible to me to regulate.

So let's say we want to ban fans (and patrons of course) from yelling "stupid" things. Who decides what is stupid? Is "get in the hole" acceptable on a par 3? What about a short par 4? Does it matter if its Bubba or Fred Funk hitting the par 4 tee shot? Seems like it would be real difficult to enforce the definition of "stupid" as it is a subjective standard. So realistically, they would have to ban [b]anything[/b] yelled immediately after a shot. OK, so whats immediately? 1 second? 5 seconds? Do you really want everyone being silent after Bubba uncorks a 375 yard drive that seems to disappear into the stratosphere? Would I get thrown out for yelling "great shot"?

One alternative would be to get rid of silence altogether. If everyone is cheering, there's no sudden sounds, right? And if everyone is cheering than no one can hear "mashed potatoes" guy.

This would all be fixed in a month or less if the PGA tour asked the Messiah Tiger to speak publicly about it and condemn those who do it. "Yea they're idiots and don't deserve to be tolerated".

One sentence and it would end.

Half those doing it would respond to him directly out of respect / worship and stop. The other half would [i]encourage [/i]the shouters standing beside them in the crowd post-shout.

Then the debate would rage, opinions would be asked of other players blah blah, word would get out that it's unacceptable and it would disappear.

[quote name='dolfinack' timestamp='1364840128' post='6737925']
This would all be fixed in a month or less if the PGA tour asked the Messiah Tiger to speak publicly about it and condemn those who do it. "Yea they're idiots and don't deserve to be tolerated".

Half those doing it would respond to him directly out of respect / worship and stop. The other half would [i]encourage [/i]the shouters standing beside them in the crowd post-shout.

Then the debate would rage, opinions would be asked of other players blah blah, word would get out that it's unacceptable and it would disappear.
[/quote]

Hell....he brought 'em here, might as well have him kick them out. lol

[quote name='Tim Meitner' timestamp='1364841522' post='6738077']
[quote name='dolfinack' timestamp='1364840128' post='6737925']

[/quote]

Hell....he brought 'em here, might as well have him kick them out. lol
[/quote]

Lol! Yep he brought em' with a boat load of money to boot!

I think 99% of the yelling is stupid... but people do it. I've realized that the majority of people out there are stupid.

With that said, I found Mashed Potatoes pretty darn funny the FIRST time

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I admit I didn't read this entire thread, but the "get in the hole" the "you da Man" seems to be a product of Tiger Woods being on the first page of the leader board.

Blame him, seriously if the players don't like it they should say somethuing about it, if the pGA, USGA, R & A don't like it they should DO something about it.

Personally its just another example of the ignorance of the public.

[quote name='iBanesto' timestamp='1362891663' post='6581645']
What do you think of this fan's yell out?
[/quote]

I think this is a kid who is being encouraged to think he's funny when he's not - he'll probably end up being an annoying a-hole, haha.

All of these shout-outs are, in a word, stupid. They should be discouraged and people who do them should be removed from the course.

FYI, plenty of guys who report on the Tour (e.g. Jason Sobel) are on Twitter - send them a message to ask the pros what they think.

[quote name='Joey76' timestamp='1362822469' post='6576249']
...I put it down to simpletons who want to go back to their friends and say did you hear that guy yell mashed potatoes on the 4th. "THAT WAS ME!!!!"...
[/quote]

Born from the same attitude that makes people gush when they are re-tweeted, have 6000 "friends" on Facebook, or get their email read on a TV program. A cry for recognition in a world of billions of people.

TV could fix that with a 30 second delay where they cut the mic after the sound of impact is achieved. But the sound of the crowd is important to sporting events. So your other option is to eject these jacklegs. If anyone was going to have the balls to do it, it would be ANGC. But you will hear idiots yell at the Masters too.

[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1362841415' post='6577065']
That's the problem. Golf is supposed to be different than other sporting events.
[/quote]

It was. Until the annoyance of cell phones and social media was allowed on the course. Now, the offending d-bag can tweet to his friends "listen for me when Tiger tees off on 16" and have his friends DVR it to capture his "fame" for all eternity.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='DickieThon' timestamp='1362830834' post='6576377']
As long as they aren't doing it during the guy's swing who cares? Last I checked, the PGA Tour was a professional sports organization and these guys are professional athletes. Maybe I could understand if people were shouting insults at players or something, but go to a Phillies-Mets game on dollar dog night- you think "mashed potatoes" is bad? Go to an NHL game where a bad call from the ref brings a 20,000-strong chorus of "a**hole!, a**hole!"

I'd like to think most here agree that golf is a sport, or at least that pro golf is. Pro sports have fans who pay money to enjoy themselves. If part of that is yelling something goofy once in a while, who cares? Personally I think the "mashed potatoes" one is hilarious.
[/quote]
So, you're one of them, then......
Golf is a sport like no other. It is a gentleperson's sport. It is not a hockey game or any other contact sport where emotions are easily fired up. Yelling at the ref after the play has been called and yelling mashed potatoe after a golf shot are not even remotely similar The former has always been accepted as part of the game. The latter is at best an ugly aberration. As long as folks such as yourself think mashed potatoes is hilarious. idiots will continue to exercise their brains on the golf course by yelling it out for you

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='spitfisher' timestamp='1364911230' post='6743447']
I admit I didn't read this entire thread, but the "get in the hole" the "you da Man" seems to be a product of Tiger Woods being on the first page of the leader board.

Blame him, seriously if the players don't like it they should say somethuing about it, if the pGA, USGA, R & A don't like it they should DO something about it.

Personally its just another example of the ignorance of the public.
[/quote]
Yep, let's all blame Tiger.....again.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Stage said it best, cut the mic's plain and simple. No sound, then you can't here these people, since it's obvious they only do it to get on tv. To be honest I rarely hear things being yelled when I am there in person. It's only on tv, bc the mic's pick it up. Cut the mic's right after the shot for like 5 seconds and it will end pretty quick.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

[quote name='Lefty94' timestamp='1364922606' post='6744831']
Stage said it best, cut the mic's plain and simple. No sound, then you can't here these people, since it's obvious they only do it to get on tv. To be honest I rarely hear things being yelled when I am there in person. It's only on tv, bc the mic's pick it up. Cut the mic's right after the shot for like 5 seconds and it will end pretty quick.
[/quote]

Honestly, don't even need to do it for 5 seconds. 1-2 seconds would be plenty.

Unfortunately someone in the crowd has to have the smallest p****.............

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

[/quote]

Sure, a few seconds of silence followed by an abrupt re-connection to the crowd noise on every single shot would be much less annoying than some guy yelling something occasionally.

[quote name='sigmapete1' timestamp='1364958508' post='6748917']
[/quote]

Sure, a few seconds of silence followed by an abrupt re-connection to the crowd noise on every single shot would be much less annoying than some guy yelling something occasionally.
[/quote]

I can cut it with a knife.