2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It is getting out of control with fans yelling stuff after players hit! (merged)

Eec55

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky Sports UK commentators are getting more and more wound up by it.

I cannot stand Ewen Murray, but if he said "right, I'm going to do something about this" and promptly went out and bashed one of the offenders over the head with a putter, I would be a fan of his for life.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

What did the dillusional 5 second super stars shout after Tiger on 18 tee? Sounded like a 'mouthful of gobstoppers' choir.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

[quote name='roll - gybe' timestamp='1362967083' post='6586385']
These are the same guys that end up naked at parties.

Deep psychological issues.
[/quote]

Shhh! don't give them ideas! It is already part of the game in cricket/soccer/whatever that some idiot runs around the field naked.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

When someone with limited golf savy yell's "Mashed Potatoes" at the top of their lungs after the stars of our sport hit a ball, I can sorta accept and get past it. This person got a free ticket to the event, they don't understand golf etiquette and so on. But when people registered on this site defend and support these offenders? I'm left scatching my head......The rationale is the 16th at Scottsdale? Pleaseeee......

Quite simply, it's a display of ignorance. Fans who insist on yelling tired, lame and worn-out cliches at golf tournaments aren't amusting anyone, they're making a desperate attempt to become part of the action. And it never works. An unfunny drunk is simply another obstacle on the road of good taste and proper ettiquette. And yes, there are those dolts who insist "I pair for my ticket to a sporting evernt so I can do what I what," and all the rest of us can do is tell them to shut up and then shake our heads at the sad and unfufilled lives some people must lead.

"Get in the hole!" Seriously.... THAT'S the best you people can do?

[quote name='mukster' timestamp='1362945438' post='6584149']
At least show some class and shout out more discerning potato dishes: " CHEDDAR POTATOES AU GRATIN WITH HAM"!
[/quote]

Thats funny......i agree, drag it out for 5 or 10 seconds !
[size=5][b]"mashed potatoes with some honey baked ham and some frozen corn......and i side of whooooop asss"[/b][/size]

Now, i'd enjoy that, at least for a little while :)

After attending Doral all week, I'm convinced mobile devices are part of the problem. The officials spend all day making sure pictures aren't snapped. It leads to frustration, and a determination to use the device. At least twice at Doral I overheard young jerks calling their friends and saying they were going to scream after a tee shot. They'd detail which hole it would be and tell their buddy to listen for them. They'd laugh like hell in anticipation. One guy looked every bit the part of a moron but the other one was thin, clean cut and unassuming.

This was already a growing trend but I'm confident if someone took it from the point that cell phones were no longer prohibited on the course, it's gotten markedly worse.

• 3 weeks later...

literally can not even watch the houston open this week with all the jackasses yelling after every shot it's unbearable. it's out of hand now when it's creeping into the preparation for a shot too. Phil and Bones were figuring out what to hit into the 18th green yesterday and some clown in the crowd yells for Bones to give Phil the 6 and knock it stiff.

[quote name='Platapus' timestamp='1364690171' post='6727891']
literally can not even watch the houston open this week with all the jackasses yelling after every shot it's unbearable. it's out of hand now when it's creeping into the preparation for a shot too. Phil and Bones were figuring out what to hit into the 18th green yesterday and some clown in the crowd yells for Bones to give Phil the 6 and knock it stiff.
[/quote]

Yeah I agree it was really annoying today.

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

[quote name='twoody40' timestamp='1364691406' post='6728055']
As I've said before, the PGA could put an end to this very easily, but the won't. I don't understand why.
[/quote]

They would have to change plenty to get rid of it. It's not as easy as it sounds. All the marshalls and volunteers are inside the ropes. The guys scheming to scream are outside the ropes. I've watched it unfold the past two years, in particular, once I got a handle on who the screamers were at Doral, and also this year at Honda. They'll take a position in perhaps the third row near the tee box, near the microphone. Those crowds aren't particularly dense in the tee area. Most fans head toward the green after the player putts out on the previous hole, especially if it's Tiger or another prominent player. As soon as the tee shot is in the air they'll scream, but they are already moving as they are doing it. Within seconds they are long gone, lost in the crowd. Everybody else is looking for the ball, not obsessed with the screaming fan nearby. It's exponentially more of an issue on TV than at the event.

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1364704527' post='6729241']
As I've said before, the PGA could put an end to this very easily, but the won't. I don't understand why.
[/quote]

They would have to change plenty to get rid of it. It's not as easy as it sounds. All the marshalls and volunteers are inside the ropes. The guys scheming to scream are outside the ropes. I've watched it unfold the past two years, in particular, once I got a handle on who the screamers were at Doral, and also this year at Honda. They'll take a position in perhaps the third row near the tee box, near the microphone. Those crowds aren't particularly dense in the tee area. Most fans head toward the green after the player putts out on the previous hole, especially if it's Tiger or another prominent player. As soon as the tee shot is in the air they'll scream, but they are already moving as they are doing it. Within seconds they are long gone, lost in the crowd. Everybody else is looking for the ball, not obsessed with the screaming fan nearby. It's exponentially more of an issue on TV than at the event.
[/quote]
I'm not being funny but it can't be that difficult, you have spotted them so any official that wanted to have a quiet word should be able to do likewise..................the word preferably being out or bye.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

[quote name='nichho' timestamp='1364747703' post='6730763']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I'm not being funny but it can't be that difficult, you have spotted them so any official that wanted to have a quiet word should be able to do likewise..................the word preferably being out or bye.
[/quote]

I agree that its annoying. But what are they going to be kicked out for? They can make the argument that they are no different than people who cheer as soon as contact is made. They just yell "mashed potatoes" instead of cheering.

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1364779087' post='6733537']
[quote name='nichho' timestamp='1364747703' post='6730763']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I agree that its annoying. But what are they going to be kicked out for? They can make the argument that they are no different than people who cheer as soon as contact is made. They just yell "mashed potatoes" instead of cheering.
[/quote]

Take the question a step further. Why are golfers so temperamental?. In baseball, a batter stands at home plate trying to hit a ball coming at him at 90 mph with a roaring crowd and manages to do it. So what's so difficult about hitting a stationary golf ball that one has to have absolute silence?

Take the question a step further. Why are golfers so temperamental?. In baseball, a batter stands at home plate trying to hit a ball coming at him at 90 mph with a roaring crowd and manages to do it. So what's so difficult about hitting a stationary golf ball that one has to have absolute silence. Take the question further again. Why should golf equate itself with baseball? Or perhaps hockey - we could have fan fights and fan penalty boxes. Next will be soccer fan-ism a la Europe, hooligan golf fans, that is just what we need. Why does our game have to descend to the same crass fan support level as contact sports? It is golf, with traditions of conduct. Don't like it - p*ss off.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

It's pretty hard to defend. a. It's so played out. These dim witted mopes are definitely still Tebow-ing and asking you if you've seen that gangnam style video with the 'Japanese' dude. b. it's almost always garbage material. If they shouted something clever you could almost give it a pass. People like to laugh after all. c. It's not the time or the place. It's a good thing that golf, and other such things exist, that demand etiquette. Not everything has to be a race to the bottom.

Too bad so many of the people golf is 'attracting' can't seem to keep it class-ier.

TM M1 430 9* / Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
Adams SuperLS 15* / Kuro Kage 70g S
Adams Idea Pro a12 20* / RIP VS Proto 80
Mizuno MP60 / TTDG S300
Vokey SM6 52*, Mizuno 56*, Vokey SM5 60*
Odyssey Milled Collection #9

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1364798622' post='6735025']
[quote name='mandudebro' timestamp='1364785981' post='6734333']
I b. it's almost always garbage material. If they shouted something clever you could almost give it a pass. [/quote]

So true. A couple of years ago I heard a guy shout, "Get in the vicinity." I laughed, and so did a few people nearby.
[/quote]

I cannot stand the yelling, but you make a good point. Something like "get close" or "get fairway" or even "get short stuff" or "get dancing" would be tolerable.

I doubt these D'bags could come up with anything close to relivent to the shot being played though as that would require some kind of real interest in the sport they have gone to "watch and enjoy".

people caught should be ejected... its not that they have paid for a ticket they can do what they want... they cant!!..I also would argue follwing and cheering for a guy is a lot different from actively trying to get you 5 seconds of fame...

Its not funny.. its like many things with todays culture "a trend" that has caught on and sheep will be sheep.

[quote name='Quasimoto' timestamp='1364783496' post='6734065']
Take the question a step further. Why are golfers so temperamental?. In baseball, a batter stands at home plate trying to hit a ball coming at him at 90 mph with a roaring crowd and manages to do it. So what's so difficult about hitting a stationary golf ball that one has to have absolute silence. Take the question further again. Why should golf equate itself with baseball? Or perhaps hockey - we could have fan fights and fan penalty boxes. Next will be soccer fan-ism a la Europe, hooligan golf fans, that is just what we need. Why does our game have to descend to the same crass fan support level as contact sports? It is golf, with traditions of conduct. Don't like it - p*ss off.
[/quote]

So you're comparing a sport where 30,000 people are talking, yelling and screaming all the time to a sport where all of the sudden one fool screams out some unfunny quip? Is this real life?

To answer your question, I once read of a golfing challenge where-by a players opponent was given 3 shouts instead of handicap shots. The player was allowed to shout in the ear of his opponent anytime he wanted to, the expectation being that he would shout during his backswing on some critical shot. The player with the shouts won handsomely, against the supposed odds, without shouting once; the expectation destroyed the concentration of the opponent.
It has been said in this thread already and stated here on numerous occasions, if a crowd was producing a football type noise it becomes the white variety, it's all blurred and you concentrate through it. If one dumb schmuck shouts it's like a bolt of lightning. These schmucks time it for after the strike but are so close to getting it wrong.
Finally, I don't know if you have noticed but in baseball they miss the ball more often than they hit it.................perhaps it's the noise?

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

[quote name='Platapus' timestamp='1364690171' post='6727891']
[/quote]

I went out and followed DJ for 3 holes Sat at the SHELL houston Open, and some clown yelled POW after his drive on the Par 5 8th. Its getting rediculous.

Titleist 910D3 10.5* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910F 15* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910H 21* VTS Red 100X
Adams CMB 3-P, SM4 50.12* DG X100's
54.11*, 58.08* DG S400
Scotty Cameron Studio select Newport 2
WITB Link