What kind of dress shoes do you wear?

Gripit_Swiftit

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1412810063' post='10257435']
Holy $$$$ .... 28 pages about $$$$ing dress shoes ... Pass the man cards in and put on a pair of boots! :D
[/quote]

This is going to shock you, but real men have worn nice shoes to work for a long time. Your grandfather picked dress shoes, at some point. It's only very recently that men decided to keep dressing like little boys their entire life, trying to look like Charlie Brown I guess.

[quote name='jwrogers' timestamp='1412910655' post='10263837']
[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1412810063' post='10257435']
Holy $$$$ .... 28 pages about $$$$ing dress shoes ... Pass the man cards in and put on a pair of boots! :D
[/quote]

This is going to shock you, but real men have worn nice shoes to work for a long time. Your grandfather picked dress shoes, at some point. It's only very recently that men decided to keep dressing like little boys their entire life, trying to look like Charlie Brown I guess.
[/quote]

It's funny. Most people on WRX spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on golf clubs and shafts that barely last a month. However, they turn their noses up at the idea of spending 300-400 bucks on a pair of shoes that will last more than a decade.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1412946735' post='10264923']
It's funny. Most people on WRX spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on golf clubs and shafts that barely last a month. However, they turn their noses up at the idea of spending 300-400 bucks on a pair of shoes that will last more than a decade.
[/quote]

Heck people will spend $700+ - sight unseen - on a driver shaft that they have no idea if it will fit their swing or not but hey, its on Tour.

Personally I dont give a rip what people spend their money on or how much of it that they spend.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Son of a B...I've called J Crew a couple of times because I haven't received a tracking number for the Alden's I ordered. Actually, just got off the phone with a rep about 10 minutes ago and she said don't worry, you'll get them no later than Tuesday. I asked if the order might be cancelled and she said no chance. 5 minutes after that I get a call from J Crew saying my order has been cancelled because the item sold out even though I was able to order online. He says he'll keep searching and call me if anything comes up and if something does I will get free over night shipping. Now, here's the dilema. Do I wait it out or order some brown Viberg's?

Va golfer 86 you need to buy those. So versatile.

I received a belt from Equus Leather in the UK today -- Winchester in Hazel bridle leather. Amazing quality. Pics to come -- matches my PRL brogues (actual Allen Edmonds in disguise) PERFECTLY.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Sorry guys, I gotta detour here. Casual balmoral doesn't make much sense to me.

More use out of a good chukka.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1413043618' post='10270671']
Called Leffot. Vibergs don't ship till January. FML.
[/quote]

Almost dove into a pair of Alden Chukkas on ebay last night to make up for the wait...thankfully cooler heads prevailed and I only ordered some golf stuff lol.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1413044555' post='10270739']
[/quote]

Almost dove into a pair of Alden Chukkas on ebay last night to make up for the wait...thankfully cooler heads prevailed and I only ordered some golf stuff lol.
[/quote]

If I order these that will make 2 pairs I have to wait till January for. I know I will be tempted to buy another pair before then and of course 915 woods. Lol. Really trying to decide if I should take the plunge on these. Price is steep. Never paid that much for shoes before.

If any of you guys are my size, I put the Carmina suede shoes up on eBay. I like them, but the fit isn't exactly right for some reason. My feet are weird.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1413044555' post='10270739']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I own the Alden Chukkas and absolutely love them. Super versatile, can be dressed up or down, and ridiculously comfortable if you get the flex welt sole. That said, I'm extremely jealous of your Viberg purchase. I almost pulled the trigger on the same pre-order but just haven't been able to justify another pair of boots yet.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Ooof those natural trench boots are sweet looking - any idea if the OSBs these run a half size smaller than normal?

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1413215445' post='10278443']
Ooof those natural trench boots are sweet looking - any idea if the OSBs these run a half size smaller than normal?
[/quote]

they do, but save your money. OSB has been struggling with their QC for a while.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1413216127' post='10278511']
[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1413215445' post='10278443']
[/quote]

they do, but save your money. OSB has been struggling with their QC for a while.
[/quote]

They run large. So whatever you wear in Alden you can probably get the same size or even a half size smaller as the toe box is roomy. As far as QC issues, I think Goose might be right, but check with Bonobos on their return policy for shoes. They have great CS and return policy so it might be worth checking into with that discount.

If there was a pair of my GYW shoes and boots I absolutely don't want anymore, it's those.

The clicking was horrible on my first pair and they were covered in wrinkles. The second pair has a weird flaking on it like a black glaze was appied instead of leather dye...it's weird.

I've resigned to making these total sh1t-kickers, and hopefully they'll die soon.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1413221165' post='10278951']
If there was a pair of my GYW shoes and boots I absolutely don't want anymore, it's those.

The clicking was horrible on my first pair and they were covered in wrinkles. The second pair has a weird flaking on it like a black glaze was appied instead of leather dye...it's weird.

I've resigned to making these total sh1t-kickers, and hopefully they'll die soon.
[/quote]

Yea. I remember PM'ing you about the same wrinkling I had on my first pair. The second pair the finish wasn't great. I sent it back to OSB and then sent it to Horoween to fix. I've resigned mine to the same fate as yours.

Yeah, and yet here I am with 6+ pairs of other footwear made from Chromexcel. None have those issues.

Hopefully my Indys will be back to me this week for the start of fall. The heel pieces had worn down after two years and needed replacement. The outsoles themselves look like they could go another 2-3 years.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1413225862' post='10279399']
Yeah, and yet here I am with 6+ pairs of other footwear made from Chromexcel. None have those issues.

Hopefully my Indys will be back to me this week for the start of fall. The heel pieces had worn down after two years and needed replacement. The outsoles themselves look like they could go another 2-3 years.
[/quote]

Alden's are great. I'm passing on the Viberg's because that was't what I had my mind set on. I need a pair of black boots now. Something I can dress up or down, and not a chukka style. Alden of Carmel has a black plain toe boot as well as wing tip (have the tan version of that already though). There's a pair of cordovan Indy's, but not sure that's something I can wear with slacks, especially since it has commando soles.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1413226514' post='10279435']

[/quote]

Alden's are great. I'm passing on the Viberg's because that was't what I had my mind set on. I need a pair of black boots now. Something I can dress up or down, and not a chukka style. Alden of Carmel has a black plain toe boot as well as wing tip (have the tan version of that already though). There's a pair of cordovan Indy's, but not sure that's something I can wear with slacks, especially since it has commando soles.
[/quote]

J Gilbert: color 8 shell boot with speedhooks and commando sole. Plain toe and in pre-order.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1413227364' post='10279503']

[/quote]

[/quote]

J Gilbert: color 8 shell boot with speedhooks and commando sole. Plain toe and in pre-order.
[/quote]

I saw those, and they are stunning...but I think I need black more than that color 8.

have you tried out rancourts? usually takes em 3-4 weeks for any MTO. i am a HUGE fan of aldens (have 5 pairs) but i am fed up with waiting 6-9 months for shoes (i am a 10.5EE). have switched most of my business over to rancourt. they do quality stuff and i would highly recommend em. basically any style you see on their site they are willing to do any any color/style leather you also see on the site.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1413227658' post='10279515']
[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1413227364' post='10279503']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I saw those, and they are stunning...but I think I need black more than that color 8.
[/quote]

IMO you can't get enough 8. Works with literally every color.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1413227846' post='10279529']
Forgot to ask...how long did the resole take and how much if you don't mind me asking.
[/quote]

Just new rubber heel pieces. Depends on who you take it to.

[quote name='Seth Pistol' timestamp='1413228337' post='10279573']
have you tried out rancourts? usually takes em 3-4 weeks for any MTO. i am a HUGE fan of aldens (have 5 pairs) but i am fed up with waiting 6-9 months for shoes (i am a 10.5EE). have switched most of my business over to rancourt. they do quality stuff and i would highly recommend em. basically any style you see on their site they are willing to do any any color/style leather you also see on the site.
[/quote]

I have 3 pairs of Rancourts and love em. A bit pricey for boat shoes since I actually abuse mine while fishing, but their MTO program is great. My MTO ranger mocs are one of my favorite pairs.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1413229894' post='10279705']
So what's the difference between Plaza and Barrie lasts? Plaza looks a little narrower in the toe box.
[/quote]

Plaza runs true to size. It's slightly narrower than Barrie, and has a chiseled toe

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX