What kind of dress shoes do you wear?

Gripit_Swiftit

Anyone have experience with Alden's plantation crepe soles? I've had crepe soles from a different manufacturer, but they kind of collected gunk of that makes sense. Not sure if the Alden one's do that or not.

Crepe soles collect junk, no matter who makes them. They also wear down quickly.

I did some research on Alden's planation crepe soles and it seems as though their soles don't gunk or wear down. I ordered the 'little tanks' from Winn Perry and asked them about it as well and they said the sole are not like Clarks crepe soles. I hope they're right.

45193H_grande.jpg?5002

I would trust Alden to make a better crepe sole than Clarks, no doubt. Those boots look great too.

It's just that I live in the city and I'm built such that I put a lot of wear on my soles. A soft rubber sole would be comfortable but wear quickly.

I figured if I really end up hating the crepe soles I'll ride it out for a little while and get them resoled with either commandos or possibly dainite. Also just bought the J Crew Alden Natural Cap Toe boot w/ commando sole. I missed it the last go round. I think they had a few available on Friday. Couldn't stop looking at them and think I got the last pair yesterday. I'd like to say I'm done, but let's keep it real.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[attachment=2448731:photo 1.JPG]
[attachment=2448733:photo 3.JPG]
[attachment=2448735:photo 2.JPG]

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Brushing and occasional cleaning.

It doesn't crease like other leathers, and doesn't really seem to scuff either. Good suede is actually lower maintenance than most leathers. Some guys spray waterproofer/protector on it, but I just abstain from wearing them in the wet.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I've always thought suede would be high maintenance, but it seems I was wrong. I was on AE's site and there's a pair of navy suede Gobi chukkas with Dainite soles I like. It says they were built on an 809 last. I tried Googling but the only info I found was that it's a rarely used last. Does anyone have any insight as to how they fit, maybe compared to a Barie last?

From personal experience.

You're in a city you're not familiar with...you have an episode at a bar that results in things being spilled on your nice shoes. Unfortunately, it's the only pair of nice shoes you brought on the business trip.....and you're kinda screwed cuz you have a meeting the following afternoon where you have to stand up in front of people, and the nice shoes will not be so nice with various concoctions of glow in the dark alcohol remnants on them. No time for a super cleaning.......what do you do?

You drive to JCPenney and buy a pair of Nunn Bush, on sale, for $39. ...and you find out, that they're very comfy. Super comfy. In fact, so comfy that you wore them home on the plane three days later, after a successful meeting where someone even said "hey, cool shoes".

I'd buy 'em again.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='Va_Golfer86' timestamp='1412772084' post='10254295']
The AE sale has some good deals. I need to add a bourbon color to the mix, and for variety, I think the park ave would be nice. Also been eyeing the Rush streets for an everyday work option. Danite would be great for my commute.
[/quote]

I have a pair of black Park Aves and a pair of bourbon Strands. Love them both.

Well I hemmed and hawed and shopped around and generally overanalyzed this purchase to death.

Finally jumped at the Viberg Service Boot presale through Leffot this afternoon.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1412791322' post='10256005']
Well I hemmed and hawed and shopped around and generally overanalyzed this purchase to death.

Finally jumped at the Viberg Service Boot presale through Leffot this afternoon.
[/quote]

Ohhhh I'm jealous. I saw those go up yesterday. Awesome pick up!!

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1412791322' post='10256005']

[/quote]

I saw these after I purchased 2 pairs of Alden's. Can't really justify buying another pair of boots right now. Great pick up. Which color did you go with?

He bought black.

Leffot's photos look a little different than Vibergs, despite both boots being on 2030. I believe the Leffot boot has a partially structured toe cap while the stock Service boot is an unstructured toe and tends to look flatter in profile view.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

On a separate note. I ordered my first pair of Gustin's. My current jeans measured true to size so I ordered Gustin's in the same size. Went with straight leg as everything I've read says that's the way to go if you have athletic thighs as the thigh region doesn't stretch nearly as much as the top. Fingers crossed I got them right the first time.

I did indeed go with the black. I definitely liked the more structured look that Leffot had though.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1412799330' post='10256719']
He bought black.
[/quote]

I like that you guys already had a PM convo about this :P

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1412799330' post='10256719']
I believe the Leffot boot has a partially structured toe cap while the stock Service boot is an unstructured toe and tends to look flatter in profile view.
[/quote]

From what I read (not of Leffot's site) the difference between the Leffot makeup vs. standard Viberg was structured vs. unstructured toe box and brogued vs. plain cap toe.

Appears to be the case. I do really like the unstructured toe...I have enough steel toes for work!

I think I'm gonna try to sell a couple of my pairs in the collection off...Playoff baseball tickets are expensive :)

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1363282019' post='6611333']
I love Allen Edmonds. I have 3 pairs of them and love them. One pair, the heel fell off maybe 5-6 months after wearing them. I took them back to Nordstrom and they literally just handed me a new pair no questions asked. No breaking them back in kind of sucked but I don't know of another shoe that after 6 months of wear (a good amount of wear at that as they are my standard black pair) that would just replaced like that.

I also currently have a couple pairs of Cole Haans in the rotation that I wear. I find that these are pretty comfortable out of the box, but, they break down way too quick. I would rather spend $300-$350 upfront for AEs and then send them back in every few years for $100 than spend $200 every year or two because the Cole Haans are blowing out.
[/quote]Yep, the AE are my number 1, 2, & 3 choices for dress, casual and golf. LoL, I also have some Cole Han for casual and I've had good luck with them, though I've got a few pairs, so I don't wear them that often.

The AE Haskels are the classiest looking golf shoe that I've ever worn and very comfortable. I'm old school there, lol. I don't wear golf shoes that look like walking or running shoes, lol. I'm strange that way, lol.

I hope that you're well SB, and finding fairways & Greens my Friend :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1412810063' post='10257435']
Holy $$$$ .... 28 pages about $$$$ing dress shoes ... Pass the man cards in and put on a pair of boots! :D
[/quote]LMAO, I lost my Man Card about 21 years ago shortly after I lost my social security card, lol

Such is life :)

Have a nice week!

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1412833550' post='10259013']
[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1412810063' post='10257435']
Holy $$$$ .... 28 pages about $$$$ing dress shoes ... Pass the man cards in and put on a pair of boots! :D
[/quote]LMAO, I lost my Man Card about 21 years ago shortly after I lost my social security card, lol

Such is life :)

Have a nice week!

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]

I mumbled "I do" and haven't seen the man card since.

Danner makes some of the best boots...period. There's a reason they have a military contract.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

White's......although they are now under the same banner as Danner, with the recent LaCrosse/ABC-Mart acqusition.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1412800050' post='10256781']
On a separate note. I ordered my first pair of Gustin's. My current jeans measured true to size so I ordered Gustin's in the same size. Went with straight leg as everything I've read says that's the way to go if you have athletic thighs as the thigh region doesn't stretch nearly as much as the top. Fingers crossed I got them right the first time.
[/quote]

Which did you order? I have a pair of Gustin as well -- nice jeans, a little too much "breathless" sales speak on the web site for me, but they are nice jeans.

I've had mine almost a year and they aren't really broken in yet, but that is my fault. I don't wear jeans to the office, and here in Miami, the climate isn't so great for regular jean wearing (not that I'm complaining!)

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

i got my Gustins and despite the measurement chart, the damn things wouldn't fit over my thigh. I'm honestly sick of the skinny jean trend (and for the most part, cuffed jeans).

I'm not overweight but my legs are reasonably muscular. It shouldn't be impossible to find a pair of jeans with a decent fit. JCrew straight fit is about the only one that can.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

The only jeans I really like are the Lucky Relaxed Straights - they're bigger in the thigh and then a little more fit in the lower leg. But they are the only ones I've really found that I like so I keep buying them.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I got the #166 indigo x indigo. It's almost fully funded.

I hope they fit. I did all the measurements but was honestly stuck between size and fit. I have muscular thighs and a longer torso. i wear a 34x30 in Lucky and AG and both measured true to size. Thigh area measured right at 24. Everything I read said get true to size or even smaller because the waist will stretch, but thigh not so much. I originally chose the 34 in straight fit. But the problem was the rise was 11.5" and all my jeans are between 9.25" and 10.5". I like my jeans to sit on my hip a little. So I changed to 35 slim after reading the slim wasn't a true slim, just a tapered leg after the knee. The waist will be a little big but I should be able to have someone take it in after they stretch a bit. The thigh on the site said 23.9" so I should be OK. Should being the key word.

Louis Vuitton or gucci normally....

[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913D2 8.75* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913F 16.5* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Mizuno MP5 4-PW w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Titleist SM6 52* KBS TOUR 90 S
Titleist SM6 58* STOCK
Odyssey #7[/font][/size][/color]