Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='schwollo' timestamp='1366563213' post='6887913']
Golfsmith replaced my 9064ls head with a new one when they scratch the crown.. Definitely move up the chain of command though . Years ago I wrote a letter to the top and the vp gave me a call to try and fix the situation. Not all if Golfsmith is bad... Usually at least .
[/quote]
I will be moving up the chain today, hope I can post later that this situation is resolved.

Others have the sabre rattling covered pretty well so no need for me to add to that.

Based on your current choices, I'd recommend not having them put in the extension and just playing with the -1/4". For most people the 1/4" wont really be evident. And while the the 1/4" difference in length will not effect the resale value at all, the extension probably will since it makes it difficult to extend it even further.

Ha, just happened to click on this one. I had exact same thing happen as schwollo a couple of years ago. Took my 9064 to get regripped. In fairness the usual clubmaker was not in that day. I figured it's a regrip, what could go wrong. But when the guy put it on the tool I noticed the head grazed the clamp device at the bottom. I even pointed it out and said please be careful... He finished with the grip and handed me the driver. Oh no! Very faint but noticeable scratch right in the center. He was nice about it, felt bad, tried to buff it out with some solution and a cloth. The manager directed me to the real club place in town (Continental Golf -- great resource in Raleigh, NC). They were able to buff it to all but invisible. Any club work since then, I go to CG. Golfsmith is much closer to home and convenient to check stuff out but I learned my lesson about any work.

No question they should replace the shaft. It doesn't have to be a complete loss for the store, they can sell the shaft the guy messed up provided they state up front it will play to X length. And truthfully, if they wanted to do it the right way all around they should replace and give you both shafts. Good luck.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

OP you need to call customer service to get this resolved. Forget the store. Customer Service should replace it without involving the store.

I had a similar experience and customer service was outstanding at resolving it.

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

They should replace it with a new one no questions, just don't try and be greedy and ask for the one that's cut to short back as well.

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100 HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Timeless 2.5 SSS Tourtype Prototype

where'd you buy the shaft in the first place?

golfsmith would have a lot more reason to help you if you bought the shaft there

if you bought an expensive shaft elsewhere, then took it to GS to work on.... that's like taking a Porsche to Jiffy lube and trying to get a new car when jiffy lube screwed up an oil change........

[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1366642420' post='6892867']

golfsmith would have a lot more reason to help you if you bought the shaft there

if you bought an expensive shaft elsewhere, then took it to GS to work on.... that's like taking a Porsche to Jiffy lube and trying to get a new car when jiffy lube screwed up an oil change........
[/quote]

Horrible post !!!!!!!!!! Just horrible !!!!!!!!!!!

Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

[/quote]

Your analogy doesn't work. Jiffy lube doesn't sell cars. If I owned a porsche and for some reason took it to Jiffy Lube and they did something to screw up then damn right they would have to fix it.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1366643616' post='6892983']

[/quote]

Your analogy doesn't work. Jiffy lube doesn't sell cars. If I owned a porsche and for some reason took it to Jiffy Lube and they did something to screw up then damn right they would have to fix it.
[/quote]

fixing it is not the same thing as giving you a brand new one

GS has offered to fix it by putting a butt extension on

the problem is people trying too damn hard to save a buck, when you go cheap on every step of the way, you're going to get lower quality work done by less qualified people.

[/quote]

Jiffy lube would certainly be replacing the motor if they messed it up, if they scratched the paint they would be repainting the car as well...you get my point. Your analogy doesn't work. An extension is not an acceptable fix IMO and in most others opinions as well.

TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha Adams XTD ti 14.5 w/ red tie Adams Pnt 20* w/ Matrix Altus Nike Covert forged 4-Gw w/ Nippon SPB Betti BB54 Skull & Crossbones Vokey TVD M 54* & Scratch DW 58*

Performance should not be affected, resale value [i][b]will[/b][/i] be affected as you'll need to disclose it.

I think a GS gift certificate is in order.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Escalating your complaint up the Golfsmith customer service hierarchy is fine for as long as your righteous indignation holds out...

But once you've been there, done that, three pieces of advice for how to actually deal with your problem:

a) Do not put an extension in there. It will just bugger up the shaft for no useful purpose except to get a number you prefer on the ruler.

b) Do go ahead and play the driver at its current length. Don't sweat it. You'll not lose a single yard of distance nor will it make the club any harder to swing.

c) Never let Golfsmith touch a shaft worth more than pocket change in future.

[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1366643882' post='6893009']
[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1366643616' post='6892983']

[/quote]

[/quote]

fixing it is not the same thing as giving you a brand new one

GS has offered to fix it by putting a butt extension on

the problem is people trying too damn hard to save a buck, when you go cheap on every step of the way, you're going to get lower quality work done by less qualified people.
[/quote]

Golfsmith operates a CLUB BUILDING/REPAIR section in their store for you to have work done on your clubs. They charge money for this. Where did you get the idea that they should only work on products that you buy from them?

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

A quarter inch, especially in irons, is meaningless unless it directly affects your knees and your stance. It's no big deal with fairways and irons because they are used all over the fairways with different stances, swings and lies. Even the Tees are not always an ideal lie.

However, if it gets into your mind, a quarter inch extension is not perceptible unless it's done that badly.

Shambles

[/quote]

That's not even in the same universe as a comparison.

I don't really understand all of the "resale value will be affected" grumblings. How is this even remotely possible? A 1/4 is so insignificant I doubt 95% of the golfing world would even be able to notice that it was slightly different. By this logic, if I sell a driver shaft cut to 45", and another guy has a driver shaft at 45.25" inches, they are somehow entitled to more money than I am because they have a quarter inch more shaft than I do? Sorry...but this thread really hit a new depth of insanity in my opinion.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

[quote name='phatchrisrules' timestamp='1366855915' post='6912619']
I don't really understand all of the "resale value will be affected" grumblings. How is this even remotely possible? A 1/4 is so insignificant I doubt 95% of the golfing world would even be able to notice that it was slightly different. By this logic, if I sell a driver shaft cut to 45", and another guy has a driver shaft at 45.25" inches, they are somehow entitled to more money than I am because they have a quarter inch more shaft than I do? Sorry...but this thread really hit a new depth of insanity in my opinion.
[/quote]

The .25" bothers the OP. He would have to put an extension on it. The extension would probably affect resale value.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1366856188' post='6912647']
[/quote]

The .25" bothers the OP. He would have to put an extension on it. The extension would probably affect resale value.
[/quote]

I get that it bothers him, completely understand that. He wanted it at a certain length, and it was not. Fully grasp that. Could he not theoretically pull out the extension afterwards, therefore negating this dreaded resale price drop? Sorry to hijack, I'm just really lost on this whole "hurting resale value" argument.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I'm glad you got it resolved. That being said, how did you measure it? Do you have a club rule? Not many people have them, unless they work on clubs, and if that's the case I wouldn't think you would bring it to GS to have clubwork done. Did you bring it somewhere else to have it measured? Not doubting that it's 1/4" short, just curious how it was measured.

Wishon 919 THI 9* Talamonti PD 70X
Wishon 949 MC 14* Talamonti PD 80X
Taylormade 2011 18 Rescue NVS 90x Hybrid
Wishon 575MMC 3-PW GD X100 SSX1
Titleist SM4 52 amd 56* GD wedge flex
Never Compormise GM2 Exchange #5
WITB Link

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1366547329' post='6886963']
[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1366520228' post='6886381']
[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1366511417' post='6885705']
I had a similar situation at a different retailer. I brought it to a managers attention and without hesitation they offered to replace the shaft.
[/quote]

Was it a $300 shaft?
[/quote]

It was a Graphite Design Tour AD BB... $380.
[/quote]

Can we all agree that they can get you new shaft for a fraction of that price? Markup on these shafts are sickening.

Have them replace for sure

[quote name='phatchrisrules' timestamp='1366856920' post='6912739']
[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1366856188' post='6912647']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I get that it bothers him, completely understand that. He wanted it at a certain length, and it was not. Fully grasp that. Could he not theoretically pull out the extension afterwards, therefore negating this dreaded resale price drop? Sorry to hijack, I'm just really lost on this whole "hurting resale value" argument.
[/quote]

I wouldn't buy any shaft with an extension. That is how it hurts resale value. It is a Speeder Tour Spec 7.3 shaft that has been compromised by someone he paid to cut it to a specific length.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way