2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

[quote name='njtoma' timestamp='1392083592' post='8640925']
A buddy of mine several years back used to always talk about how he can now drive the ball 300+ consistently. Needless to say, I called him out the minute the outdoor range opened up in the spring. He teed up his first ball and tried to hit it so hard he launched his driver 30-40yds right in to a tree.
[/quote]

That's a sneaky way to avoid having to prove whether or not you can drive it 300! May have to add that to my repertoire!

I played with a guy in a tournament last year that lied with every word that came out of his mouth. From his D1 scholarship to Hawaii to his dad's mansion in Florida.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X

BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

2023 T100 4-PW C-taper 125S+

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

[quote name='kaniSS' timestamp='1392960373' post='8713838']
Just last Saturday at my local range. Husband to the wife [i]"Shut up and go away, your messing up my rhythm." [/i]

This after he sliced 50 balls before the wife was anywhere near him. I wanted to b**** slap him badly.
[/quote]

To be fair, maybe just the mere thought of her was messing up his rhythm.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

This was both funny and impressive. Not at the driving range, but during a round.

Was playing with four guys. One guy, I had never met.

After a couple of holes, one guy hits a pretty good one. The guy I just met says, "Great Shot, I'm going to hit it like that next shot". He was serious, not trying to be funny. He did this a number of times during the round, imitating each of us. He was actually pretty good at it. You would expect the guy to be a duffer. I would guess him to be about a 10 handicap. Wonder how good he could be if he didn't try changing his swing every couple of holes.

[quote name='todderamaa' timestamp='1393024646' post='8718446']
Wonder how good he could be if he didn't try changing his swing every couple of holes.
[/quote]

I wonder how good this guy could be if he played a round with Adam Scott or Hunter Mahan.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='todderamaa' timestamp='1393024646' post='8718446']
This was both funny and impressive. Not at the driving range, but during a round.

Was playing with four guys. One guy, I had never met.

After a couple of holes, one guy hits a pretty good one. The guy I just met says, "Great Shot, I'm going to hit it like that next shot". He was serious, not trying to be funny. He did this a number of times during the round, imitating each of us. He was actually pretty good at it. You would expect the guy to be a duffer. I would guess him to be about a 10 handicap. Wonder how good he could be if he didn't try changing his swing every couple of holes.
[/quote]

He was probably just trying to get in your heads, lol.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='fowlerscousin' timestamp='1393107045' post='8723802']
Two dudes unhappy with how far their shots are going, agree that the range balls suck and they are dead from the cold. Its 50 degrees and they claim its costing 30 yds of distance.
[/quote]

Hey that was my excuse today. It was 45ish degrees and very gusty outside and I was hitting range balls! My 8 Iron was only going 140 yards!

[quote name='BenR' timestamp='1393109743' post='8724116']
[quote name='fowlerscousin' timestamp='1393107045' post='8723802']
Two dudes unhappy with how far their shots are going, agree that the range balls suck and they are dead from the cold. Its 50 degrees and they claim its costing 30 yds of distance.
[/quote]

Hey that was my excuse today. It was 45ish degrees and very gusty outside and I was hitting range balls! My 8 Iron was only going 140 yards!
[/quote]

That could be a valid exuse unless you catch one clean. Amazing how normal the range balls seem when you flush it.

I was on the range yesterday and some young guy started hitting near me. He had the worst reverse pivot I have ever seen. On the backswing his head was over his left foot and on the follow through his head was over his right foot. Combine this with the flattest backswing I think I have ever seen (his hands were lower than his right shoulder at the top) and he was trying to ReMax it. He kept topping, hosel hooking and just about every thing else. When he did get it off the ground it was nearly a worm burner. After a while I notice an older gentleman talking to him.

He said "your problem is you need to swing sloooower."

I couldn't help to laugh out loud a little, ashamedly so.

I saw thus scumbag teaching pro at my home course that seriously has the loudest voice you could ever imagine so you can hear him from probably 75 yards away. He was giving a lesson to a kid who was hitting drivers. The kid would hit one and the teacher would tell him, "that one right there is probably carrying 283" the kid would hit another one and the teacher yells out "the one definitely carried probably 294". The kid was carrying it maybe 240-250 on a solid one. I absolutely hate teachers that lie to their students about how much better the students game looks rather than telling them the truth.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

So many to choose from...here's one that has always made me chuckle when I think about it

Hack 1 - "How far is that white flag?"
Hack 2 - "About 200...that's why I'm hitting a smooth little 5 iron to it."

The white flag in question is a laser verified 138...and those "smooth little 5 irons" were 15 yards short and 20 yards right

What's in the Bag
Driver - TaylorMade R11tp 8*, Fujikura Blur 65X
3 Wood - Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 13.5*, Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X

5 Wood - Cobra Speedzone Tour 17.5*, Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X
Hybrid - TaylorMade R11tp 16*, Aldila RIP 85X
Irons - Titleist 620 CB (3-6), 620 MB (7-9), DynaGold X100
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM8 48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D, DynaGold X100
Putter - Odyssey Metal-X #9
Ball - Titleist ProV1x

Played golf Wed. Course was soaking wet but didn't care it was 70 after weeks of burtial cold and even snow!! Neways, the guys hits a worm burner and litterally says " its hard to GET UNDER IT when its this wet out " I was speechless!!!

Cobra Long Tom 8*, 45", Grafalloy black bird, tipped 3"
Titleist 906f2 13*, Fubuki Fuel Tour Spec X
Taylormade RAC TP MB 2iron w/ Project X 7.0
Taylormade RAC TP MB 3-PW w/ KBS CTaper X
Cleveland 52* Project X 7.0
Nike vr forged 58* heel grind Project X 7.0

[quote name='goloworgohome' timestamp='1393164646' post='8727284']
So many to choose from...here's one that has always made me chuckle when I think about it

Hack 1 - "How far is that white flag?"
Hack 2 - "About 200...that's why I'm hitting a smooth little 5 iron to it."

The white flag in question is a laser verified 138...and those "smooth little 5 irons" were 15 yards short and 20 yards right
[/quote]

Probably plays the back tees...

1. Amen.
2. Truth will get you banned from here. :not_i:
3. Were you taking selfies also with your iphone?

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1380717707' post='7941631']
I've seen a bunch of funny things at the range. It's usually a 15 handicap who's a member of a golf forum (golfwrx) that thinks they are a touring pro at their local range.
They have a $2k bag even though they hit their new custom fit $350 shaft (tipped 2") just as bad as the one they bought last year. They pose after their shots (usually a stinger), hoping someone will comment. But deep down they are kind of sad because everyone else seems to be having a lot of fun bc it's just the range, not the us open.

They usually have a smirk on their face, mocking the other people at the range who are there just to have a fun time. They bring out their iPhone to start a post on golfwrx in they brag about their own game, while making fun of the other people.

But they fail to realize that the loud guys who are laughing and joking people are actually a blast to play with. But keep working on that trap draw and soft fade with your hard stepped blades Johnny golfwrx, you'll get there!

Now this post isn't directed at all of you. Some of these are really funny stories (dirty talk, farting), but some of you think way too highly of yourselves.
[/quote]

[quote name='Bigrome26' timestamp='1390705307' post='8533619']
I was threatened by a group of five guys after out driving them with a 2-iron. I was playing alone when I caught up with this group and they allowed me to play through after they all had pulled out their so-called "big dawgs" and proceeded to rip the ball with a 75 yard slice (that is being gentle by the way). I stepped up to the tee box with my trusty 2-iron as the driver was not cooperating that day and ripped a line drive about 275 yards down the fairway. I had a little grin on my face when one of these "good ol' boys" said to me in one of the most hilarious southern accents, "son, you mighta wanna move on before someone here gets hurt!". I smiled with the intention that they were joking until they all threw their freshly opened beers to the ground. I know rednecks are serious when beer gets wasted! I wasn't too concerned as I am no slouch and was prepared to head that route if need be, so I grabbed my bag and advised those gents that it is much easier to play out of the short stuff.
[/quote]

Let's be honest, that never happened.

[quote name='kal32473' timestamp='1393188480' post='8729196']
I was threatened by a group of five guys after out driving them with a 2-iron. I was playing alone when I caught up with this group and they allowed me to play through after they all had pulled out their so-called "big dawgs" and proceeded to rip the ball with a 75 yard slice (that is being gentle by the way). I stepped up to the tee box with my trusty 2-iron as the driver was not cooperating that day and ripped a line drive about 275 yards down the fairway. I had a little grin on my face when one of these "good ol' boys" said to me in one of the most hilarious southern accents, "son, you mighta wanna move on before someone here gets hurt!". I smiled with the intention that they were joking until they all threw their freshly opened beers to the ground. I know rednecks are serious when beer gets wasted! I wasn't too concerned as I am no slouch and was prepared to head that route if need be, so I grabbed my bag and advised those gents that it is much easier to play out of the short stuff.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Right, I too call BS. Another passive brag.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1393193027' post='8729594']
[quote name='kal32473' timestamp='1393188480' post='8729196']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Right, I too call BS. Another passive brag.
[/quote]

passive tale that is. Some of it might be some truth to it; he may have out drove them with the 2 iron/hybrid, but my guess was that it was only like 215-225 while they drove around 200. Also, the second part of them getting mad enough to fight over being outdriven well lets just say highly doubtful haha

Forever Changing at this point.......

I was at the range with my buddy, hitting a smooth 5-iron to about 200. My buddy asked me how far it was, thinking it was 250 or so, but I had to assure him that even with my effortless power my 5 only goes 200 into the stiff breeze we were facing.

Some guy downrange was eyeing me, probably 'mirin my blades and buttery 5-irons into the wind. I notice he lasered that very flag - I almost went and offered him some free swing advice since he seemed impressed with my game.

This happened just yesterday.

Guy comes out and is just hacking at the ball. Poor guy. I could tell it just wasn't his day because he had an okay swing but he just kept hitting it really fat and then thin and a lot of hosel shots. Anyway, his buddy comes up having seen him hit a few bad shots on the way over to the range and says "how's it goin'?"

He says, looking off into the distance nonchalantly, "whaddya think these range balls are, 50%?"

The look on his buddy's face was priceless, as he tried to be cordial and just say, "uh...I don't know...maybe."

I should probably be paying more attention to my golf swing on the range, but I like to take a break between shots and enjoy people watching. : )

[quote name='Titleist 670' timestamp='1393206675' post='8731366']
I was at the range with my buddy, hitting a smooth 5-iron to about 200. My buddy asked me how far it was, thinking it was 250 or so, but I had to assure him that even with my effortless power my 5 only goes 200 into the stiff breeze we were facing.

Some guy downrange was eyeing me, probably 'mirin my blades and buttery 5-irons into the wind. I notice he lasered that very flag - I almost went and offered him some free swing advice since he seemed impressed with my game.
[/quote]

LOL... Hmmm... Did that flag happen to be white?

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

not really ridiculous but i was at the range the other day just purin everything in sight on sight and this lady comes up to me and she says, verbatim "you have the nicest swing ive ever seen and I have been to every major the past 3 years." So of course i agree with her and continue to talk about my effortless swing and how im self taught. As soon as she hears self taught shes like if you can teach yourself you can teach me. So naturally im like piece of cake ill have you to scratch within the week, that v swing arc of yours lookin as round and plump as your booty. She starts to blush shes feelin the vibes, lesson is over so of course i get reimbursed for my time in "favors". But at the end of the day it was nothing special nothing that doesnt happen on a daily basis when you swing a golf club like a god.

Just came back from the Toronto golf show and it was pretty bad. BUT they had a long drive champ there hitting balls and answering questions...
One guy asks: DO YOU HIT THE BALL FARTHER WITH TOP SPIN OR BACKSPIN?

I almost laughed out loud.

Taylormade R1
Titleist 913F 15*(set to 16.5*)
Taylormade Rescue11 19*
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW
Vokey SM4 50*, TVD-K 56 (bent to 55)
SC Select Newport 2

I was at the putting green the other day when I noticed two younger guys checking out my Covert staff bag (I'm prepared for the flaming cause...dare I say it...it has my name on it. Ahhhh..the horror!)

I heard one of the guys say "He's sponsored by Nike. How awesome is that!"

I kind of chuckled to myself and kept on putting.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]