2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

Pretty good contender today.
I'm at the local indoor range, working on wedges.
I sit down behind my hitting bay and rest, and I am watching the guy next to me swing.
He's got a funky move, but nothing abominable.
He has that finish where the hands are really close to the left ear, collapsed in a bit....not really compressing the ball, but getting it out there.

He goes into a Tiger Twirl after every shot. Every last one. From the position he ends up in at the finish, it is a convoluted move to be able to do this. It was great stuff. God bless golf.

[quote name='SurfinTurf' timestamp='1390628520' post='8528051']
[quote name='playa' timestamp='1390622677' post='8527659']
[quote name='Steven991' timestamp='1390553875' post='8522129']
August of last year I'm at the range taking some" me time" so I wont kill my 11 year old son for various reasons. Well the range is packed and I end up in a spot next to some college guys warming up before they play. They look like half decent players and yes one was even sporting the orange and white puma outfit head to toe. They seem to have had a few cold one's in them already and are cutting up and generally having a good time. I don't know about a lot of you guys and gals but I'm fairly protective of my equipment and generally DO NOT let anyone hit my gear especially my driver. I had one of my superfast 2.0's with me that day and the Ricky Fowler of the trio next to me asked me about it and if I like the shaft in it, he's never seen a superfast 2.0 with a black shaft in it. I explain to him I had it reshafted blah blah blah. I watched him hit a few with his R1 and he seemed pretty decent so when he asked me to take a few swings with it I said sure. Very first swing WHAMO he pops it straight up and leaves a huge sky mark on the crown. Looks down at it and tells me that'll wash off...... Seriously
[/quote]
There is a saying in Oz when demoing drivers. "You sky it you buy it".
[/quote]

Are you an Aussie, Playa??

East or West coast?
[/quote]
Sydney, western suburbs.

[quote name='jurr80' timestamp='1390686082' post='8531517']
I sit down behind my hitting bay and rest, and I am watching the guy next to me swing.
He has that finish where the hands are really close to the left ear, collapsed in a bit....not really compressing the ball, but getting it out there.

He goes into a Tiger Twirl after every shot. Every last one. From the position he ends up in at the finish, it is a convoluted move to be able to do this. It was great stuff. God bless golf.
[/quote]
I'm starting to do the tiger twirl on good shots. I only do it with my regular group as a bit of fun gamesmanship though, would never do it in a tourney.

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1390686324' post='8531547']
[quote name='jurr80' timestamp='1390686082' post='8531517']

[/quote]
I'm starting to do the tiger twirl on good shots. I only do it with my regular group as a bit of fun gamesmanship though, would never do it in a tourney.
[/quote]

I'll do the twirl when I cold top something. Nobody will know where it came from if you hold your finish (Thanks Dan Boever!)

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

I was threatened by a group of five guys after out driving them with a 2-iron. I was playing alone when I caught up with this group and they allowed me to play through after they all had pulled out their so-called "big dawgs" and proceeded to rip the ball with a 75 yard slice (that is being gentle by the way). I stepped up to the tee box with my trusty 2-iron as the driver was not cooperating that day and ripped a line drive about 275 yards down the fairway. I had a little grin on my face when one of these "good ol' boys" said to me in one of the most hilarious southern accents, "son, you mighta wanna move on before someone here gets hurt!". I smiled with the intention that they were joking until they all threw their freshly opened beers to the ground. I know rednecks are serious when beer gets wasted! I wasn't too concerned as I am no slouch and was prepared to head that route if need be, so I grabbed my bag and advised those gents that it is much easier to play out of the short stuff.

Ping G410 Plus 9.0 Aldila Rogue Black 130MSI 70TX 44"
2017 Taylormade M2 Tour (16.5 degree) Aldila Tour Blue 80X
Mizuno Fli-Hi 3 iron Aldila Tour Blue 105TX
Taylormade RSI TP 4-PW PX 6.5 (+1/4”)
Maltby TSW 50, 54, and 60 wedges

"That right there was a sister-in-law shot... you're on top, it feels good, but you know you shouldn't be!"

- Random old guy in Texas

Some lady was getting lessons off to the side of the main line at the range. Its 4pm or so and there is a wedding going on (typical on weekends). Shes wearing ugg boots, designer jeans, etc..you know the type. This is obviously her first time swinging a club, duffing drives 10-20 yards (well im hoping her first time)

She asked the instructor if she could get the wedding to turn down the music since it was distracting.

[/insert passive brag]it didnt seem to bother me at all as I striped my 3w 250+

"Is that a real Miura?"

"Would you mind if I just hit one ball?"

Fairways & Greens My Friends

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1390707934' post='8533907']
Ah the old passive brag always makes an appearance eventually once a thread reaches page ten.
[/quote]Sh*t, that's longer than my average drive, LMAO

I haven't carried a 2i since '91-

Damn, I am gettin old, lol

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='ben w' timestamp='1390930490' post='8551237']
Ah the old passive brag always makes an appearance eventually once a thread reaches page ten.
[/quote]

No way, man. 14 handicaps are known for their ability to rip off a frozen rope 2-iron all day long.
[/quote]

Im sure he cant putt or chip

I was hitting balls next to a gem of an "instructor" last night. He was giving a full on lesson to one of his friends (or maybe it was just some guy who was willing to take his advice). This was an older gent, with very limited range of motion. He was right-handed, had an ankle brace on his right ankle and his full swing was basically a half swing. There isn't anything wrong with any of that... just a small description so you can get the picture. The following phrases came out of the "instructors" mouth:

"You need to keep your weight on the inside of your right foot. Have the golf shop put some tall spikes on the outside of your right shoe and some old, worn down ones on the inside of your right shoe. That will help a lot."

"Aim your feet out to the left, so you can follow through easier."

"You don't want to have to put timing into your swing. That is the one thing that all the pros have in common... none of them put timing into their swing."

"Do this. It's a great key to incorporate into your routine. I haven't incorporated it yet, but I've been thinking about it."

As much as I wanted to say something, I just sat back and let myself be entertained. It was a good night at the range.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Wdwfreak' timestamp='1390617931' post='8527257']
[quote name='ctmason_98' timestamp='1390595808' post='8525179']
[quote name='Wdwfreak' timestamp='1390573232' post='8522883']
This is going to sound like im bragging, but honestly i just have to tell this one because I want to brag.
[/quote]

I fixed this for you.
[/quote]

No honestly, this doesn't annoy anyone else or happens to them often? i really wasn't trying to brag.
[/quote]

No, I have never had anyone tell me I should swing harder, but that is because my swing is a carbon copy of Payne's and people can't believe it goes so far with such a slow smooth swing.

Truthfull passive brag, I have never had the hacker range instructor, just very occaisonally a quick comment of 'nice swing', or 'I like the way you strike the ball', and that's about it, and that was when I was really tagging it.

[/quote]

A large percentage of WRX's content is fueled by the "so-called" passive brag. Who cares...

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1390947725' post='8553415']
[quote name='ben w' timestamp='1390930490' post='8551237']
[/quote]

No way, man. 14 handicaps are known for their ability to rip off a frozen rope 2-iron all day long.
[/quote]

Im sure he cant putt or chip
[/quote]
You're right, can't putt to save my life.

Ping G410 Plus 9.0 Aldila Rogue Black 130MSI 70TX 44"
2017 Taylormade M2 Tour (16.5 degree) Aldila Tour Blue 80X
Mizuno Fli-Hi 3 iron Aldila Tour Blue 105TX
Taylormade RSI TP 4-PW PX 6.5 (+1/4”)
Maltby TSW 50, 54, and 60 wedges

"That right there was a sister-in-law shot... you're on top, it feels good, but you know you shouldn't be!"

- Random old guy in Texas

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1390953455' post='8554059']
I was hitting balls next to a gem of an "instructor" last night. He was giving a full on lesson to one of his friends (or maybe it was just some guy who was willing to take his advice). This was an older gent, with very limited range of motion. He was right-handed, had an ankle brace on his right ankle and his full swing was basically a half swing. There isn't anything wrong with any of that... just a small description so you can get the picture. The following phrases came out of the "instructors" mouth:

"You need to keep your weight on the inside of your right foot. Have the golf shop put some tall spikes on the outside of your right shoe and some old, worn down ones on the inside of your right shoe. That will help a lot."

"You don't want to have to put timing into your swing. That is the one thing that all the pros have in common... none of them put timing into their swing."

"Do this. It's a great key to incorporate into your routine. I haven't incorporated it yet, but I've been thinking about it."

As much as I wanted to say something, I just sat back and let myself be entertained. It was a good night at the range.
[/quote]
No pro puts timing in their swing, lmfao!

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1390988632' post='8556625']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Although it sounds poorly articulated, a lot of that advice is good. Feeling the right leg bracing the backswing, opening the stance (especially for those with range of motion issues), and removing unneccesary timing are all great tips.

[quote name='jewofgolf' timestamp='1391009356' post='8557635']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Although it sounds poorly articulated, a lot of that advice is good. Feeling the right leg bracing the backswing, opening the stance (especially for those with range of motion issues), and removing unneccesary timing are all great tips.
[/quote]

I wish I could agree with you, but for older folks with range of motion issues, they should really be moving their right foot back (for a right handed golfer). It ends up looking like a closed stance, but doesn't have the same effect as long as the shoulders stay in proper alignment. Moving the right foot back a bit actually creates a little more room for the golfer to turn into, on the backswing. A little more backswing will usually lead to a little more club head speed.

Also, I've never heard of "unnecessary timing" before. I know that there is good timing and bad timing. When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you need to work to make it good. However, I was not aware that there are multiple different versions of timing that exist in a single golf swing. How do you go about identifying what timing is "necessary" and what timing is "unnecessary"?

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='goobers80' timestamp='1390702528' post='8533297']
[quote name='Wdwfreak' timestamp='1390617931' post='8527257']

No honestly, this doesn't annoy anyone else or happens to them often? i really wasn't trying to brag.
[/quote]
[color=#800080]I did nots even understands it , to thinks it is a brag. What was the brag ?[/color]
[/quote]

I didn't see the brag either but having fallen on the wrong side of WRX's own PBA (Passive Braggart Authority), I understand Wdwfreak's disclaimer (although the need to put it is complete BS). I shared a similar experience and got roasted. Some people take their own opinions far too serious. It's the internet.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1379825532' post='7891855']
Last year I'm walking up to pay for my bucket, and there's this youngster there with dad watching him. He is topping and just missing everything. Dad says, "No, no .. remember that spine angle we talked about." Meanwhile .. the kid is holding the club CROSS HANDED the entire time. For a split second I started to open my mouth .. err.. nope ..
[/quote]

Actually if you read Harvey Penick's book, you are "supposed" to let the kids do whatever feels the most natural to them, and most often that is cross handed due to our natural tendency of trying to keep the left hand straight at impact and holding a club cross handed promotes that tendency. The only disadvantage of cross handed is that you lose distance, and his view on that is that the kid will grow up and want to hit further and eventually switch over naturally. But the kid will have all the great fundamental and short game from the cross handed swing. I noted that part of the book particularly because my daughter swings that way when she first picked up the club (age of 4), and I tried so hard to get her to switch to the right way and that really make her not wanting to practice. If only I have read the book sooner I would not have tried to correct her, and perhaps she will like golf more.

Just saying that is really not that crazy.

Ping G LS 10.5 AD DI 6S Tipped 1 Inch
Taylormade M2 HL 16.5 AD DI 7S Tipped 2 Inches
Ping G25 Hybrid 20 TFC S
Ping G25 Hybrid 23 TFC S
Ping G30 5-PW Blue Dot XP 95 S300
Vokey SM6 52F, 56M, 60K
Byron Morgan 615 GSS 350

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1391016954' post='8558561']
[quote name='jewofgolf' timestamp='1391009356' post='8557635']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I wish I could agree with you, but for older folks with range of motion issues, they should really be moving their right foot back (for a right handed golfer). It ends up looking like a closed stance, but doesn't have the same effect as long as the shoulders stay in proper alignment. Moving the right foot back a bit actually creates a little more room for the golfer to turn into, on the backswing. A little more backswing will usually lead to a little more club head speed.

Also, I've never heard of "unnecessary timing" before. I know that there is good timing and bad timing. When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you need to work to make it good. However, I was not aware that there are multiple different versions of timing that exist in a single golf swing. How do you go about identifying what timing is "necessary" and what timing is "unnecessary"?
[/quote]

Unnecessary timing happens when you get stuff in the wrong places or out of sequence. Even starting with a poor setup leads to extra timing.

Any mistake leads to timing the hands more. Minimizing hand action is good.

[quote name='Bigrome26' timestamp='1390705307' post='8533619']
I was threatened by a group of five guys after out driving them with a 2-iron. I was playing alone when I caught up with this group and they allowed me to play through after they all had pulled out their so-called "big dawgs" and proceeded to rip the ball with a 75 yard slice (that is being gentle by the way). [i][b]I stepped up to the tee box with my trusty 2-iron as the driver was not cooperating that day and ripped a line drive about 275 yards down the fairway[/b][/i]. I had a little grin on my face when one of these "good ol' boys" said to me in one of the most hilarious southern accents, "son, you mighta wanna move on before someone here gets hurt!". I smiled with the intention that they were joking until they all threw their freshly opened beers to the ground. I know rednecks are serious when beer gets wasted! I wasn't too concerned as I am no slouch and was prepared to head that route if need be, so I grabbed my bag and advised those gents that it is much easier to play out of the short stuff.
[/quote]

WAIT! a WRX'er only hitting their 2 iron 275? surely not....

Titleist 910 D3 - Diamana D+ X 72g
Titleist 913 Fd - Diamana D+ X 82g
Mizuno MP-68 X100s, 3-PW
Titleist Vokey 52-56-60, S400
Odyssey Tour Prototype #9

I'll spare the entire dialogue, as it got a bit ridiculous.

Anyway, on the range today---long practice session, so I saw a fews sets of folks come and go. A guy and his apparent girlfriend come up. He's hitting the ball pretty well--she obviously had *just* picked up her first club.

He keeps talking, loudly, during her swing----telling her to stop in positions, and go in positions, and expecting her to hit the ball--when she doesn't, he goes into 5 minute explanations on angle of attack and shoulder/hip control. Then came a 10 minute lesson on spin-rates....

This goes on for a bit----while he's talking during her swing----and she hands him the club and says "I'm going to the car."....and she walks off....obviously agitated.

I suspect this is one of the reasons more girls don't take up golf....

Callaway X2 Driver
Callaway X2 4W & Hybrid
Mizuno 850 forged irons, KBS CT Light
Cleveland 588RTX Black 50, 55, 60 (bent to MY standards...'sup?)
Callway Chrome Soft
Taylormade C79 Putter

[/quote]

I really don't see how you could call that passive!

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

[quote name='strokingforscratch' timestamp='1391310334' post='8581508']
I'll spare the entire dialogue, as it got a bit ridiculous.

Anyway, on the range today---long practice session, so I saw a fews sets of folks come and go. A guy and his apparent girlfriend come up. He's hitting the ball pretty well--she obviously had *just* picked up her first club.

He keeps talking, loudly, during her swing----telling her to stop in positions, and go in positions, and expecting her to hit the ball--when she doesn't, he goes into 5 minute explanations on angle of attack and shoulder/hip control. Then came a 10 minute lesson on spin-rates....

This goes on for a bit----while he's talking during her swing----and she hands him the club and says "I'm going to the car."....and she walks off....obviously agitated.

I suspect this is one of the reasons more girls don't take up golf....
[/quote]
I see this a lot mostly in younger couples, my fiancé wanted to take up golf with me about 3 years ago now I never offer help unless she asks an when she first started she took lessons from a pro. I never push if she wants to play she comes if not I'm still goin lol.