Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

The funniest thing I ever heard at a range was actually said to me.

I went to the range with a buddy who took 3 years off from golf.

He hits 1/3 of the bucket and says.. not to bad.. i think im starting to get a feel for it.. instantly he starts trying harder and the second third of the bucket produces some real interesting shots.. he looks over at me and says.. wow I suck.

After hitting the last third of the bucket.. instantly following impact on his last shot.. he looks over his shoulder at me and says.. " maybe im left handed"
I conmpletely started laughing hysterical and so did the person on the other side of him.

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

Yesterday there were a father, son and what I guess to be a son in law. I overheard the son genuinely complimenting his father as being the only one to "be able to hit it to the trees". I look down the range and it's probably 75 yds past a 250 marker to them. So I keep doing my short little contract drills.

A bit later, I hear, "Wow Dad, you really got a piece of that one. You're hitting it to the woods again!"

I look up and all three are hitting heavy slices to the trees on the right side of the range! I channeled all of my inner power to not drop to my knees in a fit of hysterical laughter. I picked my 9 iron and proceeded to hit 120 yd darts to the flag. I felt better about my game ;)

PING G425 9º Driver w/Mitsubishi C6 Red
PING G25 3W & 2 Hybrid 17º
Epon AF-302 4i-PW w/ TT XP 95
Miura K Grind 52º (TT XP 95), 56º & 64º (TT DG Spinner)
Bettinardi Tour Stock BB34

[quote name='24hrclown' timestamp='1380491048' post='7928791']
Yesterday there were a father, son and what I guess to be a son in law. I overheard the son genuinely complimenting his father as being the only one to "be able to hit it to the trees". I look down the range and it's probably 75 yds past a 250 marker to them. So I keep doing my short little contract drills.

A bit later, I hear, "Wow Dad, you really got a piece of that one. You're hitting it to the woods again!"

I look up and all three are hitting heavy slices to the trees on the right side of the range! I channeled all of my inner power to not drop to my knees in a fit of hysterical laughter. I picked my 9 iron and proceeded to hit 120 yd darts to the flag. I felt better about my game ;)
[/quote]

Who cares? As long as they had fun right? That's what the game is about. It's no longer an elite sport. And it's certainly not for people to mock and laugh at other people. I know i am better than some people on the range and i know there are people better than me. This thread is getting a bit bitchy. can't we just celebrate the game we love and encourage people to play rather than mock and laugh at people on the range who are just having fun?

Titleist 910D2 Diamana Ahina 72 Stiff
Titleist 913F RIP Phenom 80 Stiff - A1
Taylor Made Rescue Mid 19* & 25*
Titleist 712 AP1's S300's
Titleist Vokey SM4's 50* 54* 60*
Taylor Made Ghost Spider 35inch
WITB Link

[/quote]

You hit your 9 iron 120 yards? I hit my 56* wedge that far... You girl...

See what I did there?...

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

[quote name='DrPaul' timestamp='1380517487' post='7930507']

[/quote]

Who cares? As long as they had fun right? That's what the game is about. It's no longer an elite sport. And it's certainly not for people to mock and laugh at other people. I know i am better than some people on the range and i know there are people better than me.[u] This thread is getting a bit bitchy. can't we just celebrate the game we love and encourage people to play rather than mock and laugh at people on the range who are just having fun?[/u]
[/quote]

Why are you here then. If you don't like this thread, don't comment in it.

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
Callaway Diablo Octane 15*
Callaway Diablo DRS 21* & 24*
Custom Turbo Power FBS 6-PW
Callaway Jaws CC 56 & 60
Axis1 Umbra

[quote name='buckeyefl' timestamp='1380235256' post='7916329']
[quote name='xabia' timestamp='1380085447' post='7907311']
A nice lady was next to me hitting at my old club and she started talking about this and that. At one point she was mentioning that she could hit her driver about 240 with good rool (while she was barely carrying 120 yards) when she dropped this on me "any good male player with a decent swing should be able to hit their 7 iron 210 yards"... I am reasonably sure she was unaware of what yardages actually were
[/quote]

There's no way I could have let that one go. I was at a range owned by a PGA pro and one of his students asked him how far he should be hutting his 7iron to which he responded " well most tour players hit a smooth 7 iron about 190 so that should be no problem for you." I had been watching the guy on the range and my temperature started to rise because I hate bad instructors who say things like that to someone that isn't going to sniff anything in that range.

Rge response?

" OK I'll just start swinging harder.".
[/quote]

It was really tough to let it go but I just shook my head and said well I have some work to do! It was one of those conversations you knew wasn't going to go any other way so I just bowed out of it.

It simply amazes me though how people don't seem to understand distances

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant 

[quote name='BrettB97' timestamp='1380232488' post='7916163']
Had an incident of my own doing today. Well I have a pretty deep healing cut on my left index finger (knicked self with a knife at work). Went to the range to kill time and hit a few buckets. Everythings going good, finally grooving. Then I notice a group of ladies staring at me with horrified looks. Gets me all self conscious and I start looking for what they are looking at.

That cut had opened up while I was swinging, slowly soaking my glove in blood, and throwing spray. Horrid situation, there was blood spattered all along my swing plane(which was surprisingly consistent, passive brag). I quickly throw that glove away, superglue the cut back, and call it a day. Left some money for the pro for the mess I made.
[/quote]

Left the pro some money? To clean up a biohazard? Is he the golf pro / hazmat cleanup guy? Why wouldn't you just clean it up yourself?

[quote name='Kale_m' timestamp='1380521773' post='7930603']

[/quote]

See what I did there?...
[/quote]

Yes, I see what you did.

I'm a 47yo woman. That's my photo in my avatar ;)

Since working on contact drills so much, my yard ages are going up by 5 - 10 yards per club. Until I get consistent with the new yard ages, I'm still going by my old numbers. My goal is to make a great strike and accuracy with the shot. An accurate approach shot is more important that what number is on the club.

PING G425 9º Driver w/Mitsubishi C6 Red
PING G25 3W & 2 Hybrid 17º
Epon AF-302 4i-PW w/ TT XP 95
Miura K Grind 52º (TT XP 95), 56º & 64º (TT DG Spinner)
Bettinardi Tour Stock BB34

[quote name='24hrclown' timestamp='1380560918' post='7932297']
Yes, I see what you did.

Since working on contact drills so much, my yard ages are going up by 5 - 10 yards per club. Until I get consistent with the new yard ages, I'm still going by my old numbers. My goal is to make a great strike and accuracy with the shot. An accurate approach shot is more important that what number is on the club.
[/quote]

Contact drills,,, :scare: that's what I need. With my irons, I'm very inconsistent (yardage-wise), depending on how I'm 'striking' any given day. I'm not spraying them left and right all day anymore, which I guess is good, but I still only give myself about a 50% chance of hitting a green from 130-180 yards out.*

*I know, I know... I've been working hard on my mental game so I just KNOW I am going to hit the green on every approach shot when I'm out there! But from here, on my PC, I can be a little more realistic ;)

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Was at the range, three 12-13 year old boys walk in with one club each, beginners, with borrowed clubs from the club.
Not one clean hit between the three, but they were trying. Occasionally they had lift off, but never carried more than 50m, mostly spreading worm burners and shanks in front of the booth.

I was hitting my 3-wood, aiming for the 200m flag. At one point I hit the ball at the exact same time as the boy in front of me, his ball went nowhere, but when he looked up in anticipation he saw this long ball flying towards the 200m marker.

He screamed at his friends "I hit it 200m, I hit it 200m!!"
"yeah sure"
"I did, I did!!"

Had to laugh:-) Couldn't reveal the truth, so picked up my wedge and started pitching to a nearby flag:-)

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1380559642' post='7932175']
[quote name='BrettB97' timestamp='1380232488' post='7916163']
Had an incident of my own doing today. Well I have a pretty deep healing cut on my left index finger (knicked self with a knife at work). Went to the range to kill time and hit a few buckets. Everythings going good, finally grooving. Then I notice a group of ladies staring at me with horrified looks. Gets me all self conscious and I start looking for what they are looking at.

That cut had opened up while I was swinging, slowly soaking my glove in blood, and throwing spray. Horrid situation, there was blood spattered all along my swing plane(which was surprisingly consistent, passive brag). I quickly throw that glove away, superglue the cut back, and call it a day. Left some money for the pro for the mess I made.
[/quote]

Left the pro some money? To clean up a biohazard? Is he the golf pro / hazmat cleanup guy? Why wouldn't you just clean it up yourself?
[/quote]
1. I was on a grass range, you can't clean blood out of grass.
2. The metal bucket I was using had a small amount on it. When I went to tell him I would bleach it for him, he politely refused and told me not to worry.

I left him $10 for him being a nice guy about the whole ordeal.

There is a local range called buttonhole in my area and all down the right side of the range is the second hole of the par 3.. Not sure why they would put a hole where most people slice but whatever.

There were people on the green and some one .. Decent long hitter sliced one and all of a sudden I hear FOOOOOORE!! Yelled as loud as you can imagine.
Naturally everyone stops and sees the people on the green scramble. Ball hits the green and the people on the green were scared to hell. Pretty funny hearing fore on a driving range

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

I hit the driving range after work yesterday. As I am about to finish up a guy comes in to the stall beside me with his 8-9 year old son. The father drops the largest basket of balls you can purchase and starts swinging away with the driver. He is pretty erratic, but hey that is what the driving range is for, right?

He looks at his son and says “We aren’t leaving here until I put one over the fence!” The back of the range has a 7-8 foot fence that I have lasered at 295 yds. This whole time I am finishing up with the driver and the kid looks at me and asks “Can you hit it over the fence?” I just smile and shake my head no. He then looks at his dad and says “Dad, can I have some money?” The dad says why and the kid responds, “I want a snack and you are going to need a lot more balls”.

I just packed up and left. I am still laughing now as I write this.

[quote name='klbrown514' timestamp='1380631176' post='7936647']
I hit the driving range after work yesterday. As I am about to finish up a guy comes in to the stall beside me with his 8-9 year old son. The father drops the largest basket of balls you can purchase and starts swinging away with the driver. He is pretty erratic, but hey that is what the driving range is for, right?

He looks at his son and says “We aren’t leaving here until I put one over the fence!” The back of the range has a 7-8 foot fence that I have lasered at 295 yds. This whole time I am finishing up with the driver and the kid looks at me and asks “Can you hit it over the fence?” I just smile and shake my head no. He then looks at his dad and says “Dad, can I have some money?” The dad says why and the kid responds, “I want a snack [b]and you are going to need a lot more balls”.[/b]

[/quote]

Have to love kids, they cut right to the chase and are brutally honest.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1380634632' post='7936931']

He looks at his son and says “We aren’t leaving here until I put one over the fence!” The back of the range has a 7-8 foot fence that I have lasered at 295 yds. This whole time I am finishing up with the driver and the kid looks at me and asks “Can you hit it over the fence?” I just smile and shake my head no. He then looks at his dad and says “Dad, can I have some money?” The dad says why and the kid responds, “I want a snack [b]and you are going to need a lot more balls”.[/b]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly, of course the fact that it works literally and figuartively in that situation was probably why I thought it was so funny.

[quote name='klbrown514' timestamp='1380636003' post='7937023']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly, of course the fact that it works literally and figuartively in that situation was probably why I thought it was so funny.
[/quote]

Kids are awesome. That reminds me of a non-golf related story. This guy I used to be friends with used to be pretty small. He got in some trouble and went away for a couple of years. When he came out he was pretty fat, but I guess that caused him to get some stretch marks. Anyways, we're outside of his house one day and he takes his shirt off to wash his car. The kid next door asks "What happened? A cat scratch you up?"

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1380648296' post='7938007']
[quote name='klbrown514' timestamp='1380636003' post='7937023']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kids are awesome. That reminds me of a non-golf related story. This guy I used to be friends with used to be pretty small. He got in some trouble and went away for a couple of years. When he came out he was pretty fat, but I guess that caused him to get some stretch marks. Anyways, we're outside of his house one day and he takes his shirt off to wash his car. The kid next door asks "What happened? A cat scratch you up?"
[/quote]

kind of gross..lol

I've seen a bunch of funny things at the range. It's usually a 15 handicap who's a member of a golf forum (golfwrx) that thinks they are a touring pro at their local range.
They have a $2k bag even though they hit their new custom fit $350 shaft (tipped 2") just as bad as the one they bought last year. They pose after their shots (usually a stinger), hoping someone will comment. But deep down they are kind of sad because everyone else seems to be having a lot of fun bc it's just the range, not the us open.

They usually have a smirk on their face, mocking the other people at the range who are there just to have a fun time. They bring out their iPhone to start a post on golfwrx in they brag about their own game, while making fun of the other people.

But they fail to realize that the loud guys who are laughing and joking people are actually a blast to play with. But keep working on that trap draw and soft fade with your hard stepped blades Johnny golfwrx, you'll get there!

Now this post isn't directed at all of you. Some of these are really funny stories (dirty talk, farting), but some of you think way too highly of yourselves.

[quote name='24hrclown' timestamp='1380560918' post='7932297']
[quote name='Kale_m' timestamp='1380521773' post='7930603']

[/quote]

See what I did there?...
[/quote]

Yes, I see what you did.

[/quote]

You making fun of the family that is spending some quality time together enjoying golf? While you're by yourself working on your "drills". I bet you're a blast to play with.

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1380717707' post='7941631']
I've seen a bunch of funny things at the range. It's usually a 15 handicap who's a member of a golf forum (golfwrx) that thinks they are a touring pro at their local range.
They have a $2k bag even though they hit their new custom fit $350 shaft (tipped 2") just as bad as the one they bought last year. They pose after their shots (usually a stinger), hoping someone will comment. But deep down they are kind of sad because everyone else seems to be having a lot of fun bc it's just the range, not the us open.

They usually have a smirk on their face, mocking the other people at the range who are there just to have a fun time. They bring out their iPhone to start a post on golfwrx in they brag about their own game, while making fun of the other people.

But they fail to realize that the loud guys who are laughing and joking people are actually a blast to play with. But keep working on that trap draw and soft fade with your hard stepped blades Johnny golfwrx, you'll get there!

Now this post isn't directed at all of you. Some of these are really funny stories (dirty talk, farting), but some of you think way too highly of yourselves.
[/quote]

Well I dont use an iPhone I have a tour issue galaxy S4, the haptic feedback on the keyboard is buttery smooth...

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

[quote name='Golf Monkey' timestamp='1379591653' post='7876365']
Pro V1's go 45 per cent further than these range balls...
[/quote]

Actually my home course switched range balls two years ago and the new ones really do go dramatically shorter than a normal golf ball. They got tired of losing range balls so they went to a limited distance range ball. Anything hit that would go more than 175 in the air with a normal ball falls out of the sky like a wounded duck.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard this one today. "the more angle you have the higher you will hit it". I heard that and looked behind me and the guy was holding his hands at impact (flipping his hands scooping the ball) showing his buddy. I just chuckled in my head and went back to hitting my 4i.

Titleist 910D3 10.5* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910F 15* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910H 21* VTS Red 100X
Adams CMB 3-P, SM4 50.12* DG X100's
54.11*, 58.08* DG S400
Scotty Cameron Studio select Newport 2
WITB Link

[quote name='Matty T' timestamp='1381446306' post='7983753']
Heard this one today. "the more angle you have the higher you will hit it". I heard that and looked behind me and the guy was holding his hands at impact (flipping his hands scooping the ball) showing his buddy. I just chuckled in my head and went back to hitting my 4i.
[/quote]

Come on man, you gotta do better than that.

Needed to end it, "went back to puring my 4 iron past the 230 marker"

[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1381450927' post='7984127']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I know that is what yall want. But, I'll leave it to your imaginations.

Titleist 910D3 10.5* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910F 15* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910H 21* VTS Red 100X
Adams CMB 3-P, SM4 50.12* DG X100's
54.11*, 58.08* DG S400
Scotty Cameron Studio select Newport 2
WITB Link

[quote name='Matty T' timestamp='1381453017' post='7984295']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
You guys only hit your 4 iron 230? I had to take mine out of the bag because it didn't make sense to pure it 290. Just created a huge gap . So now I just knuck my 5 iron if I'm 290 out but I can pure it consistently 275 ish

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson

[quote name='awil' timestamp='1381455254' post='7984513']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
You guys only hit your 4 iron 230? I had to take mine out of the bag because it didn't make sense to pure it 290. Just created a huge gap . So now I just knuck my 5 iron if I'm 290 out but I can pure it consistently 275 ish
[/quote]

Oh please I hit my LW that far.

Wuss.

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
Callaway Diablo Octane 15*
Callaway Diablo DRS 21* & 24*
Custom Turbo Power FBS 6-PW
Callaway Jaws CC 56 & 60
Axis1 Umbra

[quote name='Spiritomb' timestamp='1381455432' post='7984547']
[quote name='awil' timestamp='1381455254' post='7984513']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Oh please I hit my LW that far.

Wuss.
[/quote]
We all know your hitting a super GI wedge where it's stamped lob but really 8 degrees with a 4*4 rebar pole in it !

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson