Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

[quote name='Forty' timestamp='1395323527' post='8910371']
Worst thing I've seen on a range...

I was playing in a junior golf tournament over 20 years ago at the age of 16. It was in the summer at PGA West in La Quinta and about 110* F outside. After the round I went to the range to hit a few balls. It was just myself and one other kid, who was 12 at the time, and his dad. His dad was a notoriously horrible person, having broken a trophy of a girl that beat his 14 year old daughter once.

I was about five stalls away, close enough to hear what they were saying. Here is what transpired...

Dad - "That was terrible! You play like monkey today. You hit balls!"

Kid hits balls for 15 minutes straight. The whole time dad was saying, "No! Terrible!" and other nasty things. After a few more minutes..

Kid says sheepishly - "Dad, I'm thirsty."

Dad - "Oh, you thirsty?"

Dad walks over to water jug, fills a cup of water, walks back to the kid and literally splashed the kid in the face with a cup of water.

Dad - "There. Drink that."

I left the range within a minute of that and told the tournament director and the dad was banned from junior events from that point on. In hindsight, or if I had a time machine, I wish I could go back, walk up to the dad and knock him the f out. Being a minor, there wouldn't have been quite the consequences there would be as an adult. I've never seen a worse display of parenting in sports to this day. The guy was a monster.
[/quote]

When I was playing youth sports there was another kid named Ben and his dad was the same way. He got kicked out of the baseball league for arguing balls and strikes and causing scenes literally every single inning, got kicked out of the basketball league for pushing a referee down a flight of stairs after his kid fouled out, and got kicked out of the football league for grabbing his kids face mask and twisting him to the ground because he dropped a perfectly thrown pass.

His kid eventually quit sports all together and when we were in high school his dad was arrested for and convicted of assault after beating his wife to a pulp after she locked him out of the house after he came home piss drunk.

I feel terribly for kids who have parents that try to live and compete through them.

I hd a good one on the range the other day. I'm on the range everyday and usually wear head phones to block the small talk and not get distracted.

This is something i get all the time and it always makes me laugh. One range i use a lot has signs with 50,100 and 150 on them. Now i know from my range finder it's really 130!!

So you get these guys with drivers hitting past the 150 bearing in mind the range is only 210 yards long with limited flight balls.

They keep saying, "that's 250 for sure"! Or "that's out the back". They're if their lucky going 190. Makes me giggle to myself every time. It's no wonder these sort of people come up two clubs short into greens.

Like i say, headphones are my saviour. I hate all the husband golf pros trying to teach their wives when they themselves can't get it off the floor. People are strange

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

[quote name='BenR' timestamp='1395430807' post='8920059']

His kid eventually quit sports all together and when we were in high school his dad was arrested for and convicted of assault after beating his wife to a pulp after she locked him out of the house after he came home piss drunk.

I feel terribly for kids who have parents that try to live and compete through them.
[/quote]

That's not a parent. That's a sperm donor., nothing more.

X________________________________ Sign Here

• 1 month later...

I was at the range today, and a father brought his college age son, who was just taking up the game. The kid was shanking every other shot and the shots he did hit 'well', traveled about 50 yards. I heard the dad tell the kid "you have the best swing of anybody here" (this got my blood boiling. Active brag- I have a very pretty swing and was really striping it). The kid kept getting more and more frustrated, mainly because the dad had a new swing key every 5 or 10 shots.

"Squat like you are sitting in a chair"

"Swing way to the right"

"Pivot off your front foot during the backswing"

"Keep your chin level"

And other absurdities.

The kid asked his dad "how far should I be hitting the driver?" And the dad said "about 230 or so." Kid- "I think that last one went 250!" Dad- "it sure did. That was your best one yet. " (The ball went about 150 yards, and I was hitting my nine iron just past his longest ball).

I'm really not sure why people are so self delusional, but it totally made my day.

[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1398643700' post='9183361']
I was at the range today, and a father brought his college age son, who was just taking up the game. The kid was shanking every other shot and the shots he did hit 'well', traveled about 50 yards. I heard the dad tell the kid "you have the best swing of anybody here" (this got my blood boiling. Active brag- I have a very pretty swing and was really striping it). The kid kept getting more and more frustrated, mainly because the dad had a new swing key every 5 or 10 shots.

"Swing way to the right"

"Keep your chin level"

And other absurdities.

The kid asked his dad "how far should I be hitting the driver?" And the dad said "about 230 or so." Kid- "I think that last one went 250!" Dad- "it sure did. That was your best one yet. " (The ball went about 150 yards, and I was hitting my nine iron just past his longest ball).

I'm really not sure why people are so self delusional, but it totally made my day.
[/quote]

In my mind, I can't help but envision a 9yo with his father. Kid jumping up and down after making contact. Very sad he is having to lie to his college age son. To this day, when I play with my dad and ask for advice on a part of my game...OH BOY! He brings the brutal and honest truth. But he keeps his mouth shut unless I ask.

[quote name='BenR' timestamp='1395430807' post='8920059']
[quote name='Forty' timestamp='1395323527' post='8910371']
Worst thing I've seen on a range...

I was playing in a junior golf tournament over 20 years ago at the age of 16. It was in the summer at PGA West in La Quinta and about 110* F outside. After the round I went to the range to hit a few balls. It was just myself and one other kid, who was 12 at the time, and his dad. His dad was a notoriously horrible person, having broken a trophy of a girl that beat his 14 year old daughter once.

I was about five stalls away, close enough to hear what they were saying. Here is what transpired...

Dad - "That was terrible! You play like monkey today. You hit balls!"

Kid hits balls for 15 minutes straight. The whole time dad was saying, "No! Terrible!" and other nasty things. After a few more minutes..

Kid says sheepishly - "Dad, I'm thirsty."

Dad - "Oh, you thirsty?"

Dad walks over to water jug, fills a cup of water, walks back to the kid and literally splashed the kid in the face with a cup of water.

Dad - "There. Drink that."

I left the range within a minute of that and told the tournament director and the dad was banned from junior events from that point on. In hindsight, or if I had a time machine, I wish I could go back, walk up to the dad and knock him the f out. Being a minor, there wouldn't have been quite the consequences there would be as an adult. I've never seen a worse display of parenting in sports to this day. The guy was a monster.
[/quote]

When I was playing youth sports there was another kid named Ben and his dad was the same way. He got kicked out of the baseball league for arguing balls and strikes and causing scenes literally every single inning, got kicked out of the basketball league for pushing a referee down a flight of stairs after his kid fouled out, and got kicked out of the football league for grabbing his kids face mask and twisting him to the ground because he dropped a perfectly thrown pass.

[/quote]

These two stories make me want to call my father and thank he for being a good person. He cared about my sports growing up, and was always around to help me. But never showed out like that.

At my local range we have this perverted "know it all" instructor. He's friends with the owner and spends his days walking around and giving tips. Don't think he can break 100's but somehow he considers himself a golf "coach...

On numerous occasions I've seen him nearly groping females to show them how to move their hips..

[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1398643700' post='9183361']

"Swing way to the right"

"Keep your chin level"

And other absurdities.

[/quote]

Blood boiling really? Who cares if this guy was telling his son his swing was as good as everyone there? Maybe something to laugh at but to get mad about is silly. Let them think whatever they want. Go hit at a place/at a time where only the good players hit practice balls or move away from them.

Forever Changing at this point.......

[quote name='Papa Johick' timestamp='1398679496' post='9185441'][quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1398643700' post='9183361']

"Swing way to the right"

"Keep your chin level"

And other absurdities.

[/quote]

Blood boiling really? Who cares if this guy was telling his son his swing was as good as everyone there? Maybe something to laugh at but to get mad about is silly. Let them think whatever they want. Go hit at a place/at a time where only the good players hit practice balls or move away from them.[/quote]

Bad choice of words. It annoyed me, but I laughed about it on the way home.

The guy next to me hits a 3 ft dribbler

"AW ... mulligan! mulligan...."

[guy retrieves ball from grass]

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Saw a guy at the range that had brought his own golf balls in a bag. Lots of them. Range guy comes over and says he can't hit his own golf balls, he has to buy a bag from the range. The guy that brought the balls doesn't speak English. Mutter, stammers unintelligibly with very thick accent. Range guy goes over it again speaking slowly. The guy puts his balls back in bag and range guy goes away. The guy then pulls one ball at a time out of bag, hitting whenever range guy isn't looking.

A few minutes later, another guy, obviously a friend walks up to the guy who brought his own golf balls. Guy that brought his own balls says: "Dude, what's up? How ya hittin' em?" Something to that effect.

Cracked me up.

• Like 1

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1398703288' post='9187585']

[/quote]

some guy in the stall next to me did that last week..right as I was letting the big dog bark. A range rock to the face would probably have discouraged him from doing that again, but it whizzed by a foot or two to the left

[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1398714479' post='9188985']
[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1398703288' post='9187585']

[/quote]

some guy in the stall next to me did that last week..right as I was letting the big dog bark. A range rock to the face would probably have discouraged him from doing that again, but it whizzed by a foot or two to the left
[/quote]

I always wondered about people that do dangerous stuff like that..... The other day had a lady that was shanking balls into the divider and the ball tray. Balls are ricocheting all over the creation. She hit her self with one of the ricochet. All her extra balls all scattered in front so she goes running up to grab them all Im like lady..... you wanna die? Damn.... The Donkey that was with her didnt even try to help her... she just kept shanking away.... unreal...

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

This might be the only time I ever see this in my life, so I had to share.

A guy is two people down the grass tee from me. He actually has a good swing. He hits a shot and the shaft snaps right above the handle. The club goes flying behind him, over the fence, onto the parking lot, and under a car.
"And that, my friends, is why you don't leave your clubs in your trunk."

We all laughed........

But wait...there's more. About thirty minutes later, he's hitting driver. It was one of the white crowned drivers, possibly a RBZ or R11. He proceeds to hit a ball and blow the club head right into the range.

"Well **** me running backwards".

I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself. The poor guy wrecked two clubs in one session. I have seen one club blow up, but never two.

He had us all rolling. Good spirit about the whole thing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also not on the range ...

I played a round in Greenville, SC this past weekend. As a single I joined two local older guys and another single (young guy - originally from Florida). So at the turn the tenth was backed up and the older guys were joking with the group in front of us - they all knew each other. When it was getting close to our turn to tee off one of the older guys says to the younger guy getting ready to hit, "Watch out for the guy in red [meaning don't drive into him], he's packing." At this I said, "I assume you mean he has a gun?". They guy says, "Yes". I said, "I can't even imagine ever feeling like I needed to take a gun to the golf course!" He replies, "You're not from around here - lol" Me - "Nope. Him - "They are crazy mother-_______ around here - lol"

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1399487135' post='9251311']Also not on the range ...

I played a round in Greenville, SC this past weekend. As a single I joined two local older guys and another single (young guy - originally from Florida). So at the turn the tenth was backed up and the older guys were joking with the group in front of us - they all knew each other. When it was getting close to our turn to tee off one of the older guys says to the younger guy getting ready to hit, "Watch out for the guy in red [meaning don't drive into him], he's packing." At this I said, "I assume you mean he has a gun?". They guy says, "Yes". I said, "I can't even imagine ever feeling like I needed to take a gun to the golf course!" He replies, "You're not from around here - lol" Me - "Nope. Him - "They are crazy mother-_______ around here - lol"[/quote]

What course in Greenville?

Local ranger rick drives around the line and offers unsolicited advice to everyone. He has found a regular victim and seems to be there every time I am. Normally I'm at the other side of the line, but today they came late and got in the stall next to me. Oh dear god..constant stream of unintelligible bs.

"You're inside, you're outside , too heavy, one piece take away, pause at the top, no not that long, strong lower body, you're eyes are moving, still eyes, body in front of the hands not Hands in front of the body, 75yrd swing not 95, where are your golf shoes you need shoes "

This was all over 5-6 shots...poor guy shanked half of them and couldn't hit his 9 iron more than 100yrds.

The range rick actually seems decent...seen him put an entire basket inside 6 ft on the chipping green....but man obviously no clue how to teach.

The following have happened countless times on the range and course...

*Golfer hits an obvious hosel rocket*
"OH, I hit that off the toe!!!"

Golfer: "I like hitting blades because they feel more powerful"
*Golfer then proceeds to replace the long irons 3-5 with hybrids over the course of a month*

*Golfer hits a huge slice*
Golfer: "Gosh I'm just fading it too much"

Golfer: "I like to play back, it's more fun"
*Golfer can only reach the par 4s with long irons or woods on their 2nd shots*

Titleist 905R 9.5*
Titleist 906f2 15*
Titleist 585h 21*
Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 34"

[quote name='Mjrizzo77' timestamp='1399602411' post='9261023']
[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1399487135' post='9251311']Also not on the range ...

I played a round in Greenville, SC this past weekend. As a single I joined two local older guys and another single (young guy - originally from Florida). So at the turn the tenth was backed up and the older guys were joking with the group in front of us - they all knew each other. When it was getting close to our turn to tee off one of the older guys says to the younger guy getting ready to hit, "Watch out for the guy in red [meaning don't drive into him], he's packing." At this I said, "I assume you mean he has a gun?". They guy says, "Yes". I said, "I can't even imagine ever feeling like I needed to take a gun to the golf course!" He replies, "You're not from around here - lol" Me - "Nope. Him - "They are crazy mother-_______ around here - lol"[/quote]

What course in Greenville?
[/quote]
The Preserve

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1398702962' post='9187535']
I was in Sac town this weekend and heard this two stalls down. " that ball had more movement on it then a toothless hooker doin' a pole dance".
[/quote]

Most ridiculous thing heard on the range recently: "I bet it wont be too windy at Bodega this afternoon."

This happened a couple of days ago at my local driving range:

Two guys a few stalls down from me, clearly inexperienced golfers - the one guy is just constantly trying to teach his buddy, meanwhile his drivers were flying about 170 yards (when he made decent contact every third ball).

"Don't bend your wrists at all, only use your arms"
"You should put the ball off your front foot it doesn't matter what club"
"Make sure you keep all your weight on your front foot for your whole swing"

You get the idea, assorted nonsense that isn't going to help anyone. Worst part is, his friend had a better natural swing than he did.

Finally after almost an hour of listening to this, I went over to him and said "I don't want to be rude, but you really don't know what you're talking about. If you want to help your friend, you guys should go see a pro for a lesson."

As you might imagine, he didn't like this very much and proceeded with the expected "who do you think you are" "I would destroy you in a match" etc etc - (Boxing maybe, he was a meat head for sure) I decided not to share my index of 1.5, tournament wins and just walked away. Finished the rest of my bucket and left.

Anyone else ever had a similar experience?

[quote name='Ayoung19' timestamp='1399652112' post='9263751']

Two guys a few stalls down from me, clearly inexperienced golfers - the one guy is just constantly trying to teach his buddy, meanwhile his drivers were flying about 170 yards (when he made decent contact every third ball).

You get the idea, assorted nonsense that isn't going to help anyone. Worst part is, his friend had a better natural swing than he did.

Finally after almost an hour of listening to this, I went over to him and said "I don't want to be rude, but you really don't know what you're talking about. If you want to help your friend, you guys should go see a pro for a lesson."

As you might imagine, he didn't like this very much and proceeded with the expected "who do you think you are" "I would destroy you in a match" etc etc - (Boxing maybe, he was a meat head for sure) I decided not to share my index of 1.5, tournament wins and just walked away. Finished the rest of my bucket and left.

[/quote]

I know your new here, but you should try to find the humble brag thread.

[quote name='Ayoung19' timestamp='1399652112' post='9263751']

[/quote]
Um,,,,yeah,,,,,,sounds like maybe you learned a good lesson from your experience,,,hopefully!

I never offer advice unless asked and even then I always preface it with I can play a little but I'm not an instructor.

Last year an older gentleman was paired with my son and I and he came back to the back tees with us on the first hole and said he would play back there. My first thought was "oh boy", but the guy actually could play decent(8-10hdcp) and wasn't too far behind us all day off the tee.
So we get to the 18th tee and out of the blue the guy asks me to look at his swing and give him any advice. Although he was maybe 10-12 years older than me he was in great shape and had no obvious physical limitations. So I tell him I'm not a teaching pro and I haven't watched his swing a lot but one thing I notice is that he was consistently only making about a 70* shoulder turn. If he could get closer to a 90* shoulder turn it would help him gain some distance. The guy looks straight at me and says " Well, my teaching pro I take lessons from says I don't have to make a 90* turn"! I politely gave him an "Oh, OK" and walked to my ball.
He never mentioned any physical limitations and he was OK with his pro teaching him a 70* shoulder turn so have at it.

Never give advice unless asked and even when they do they may not like it so take it all with a grain of salt!