2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

[quote name='ovib' timestamp='1393807810' post='8782956']
Just came back from the Toronto golf show and it was pretty bad. BUT they had a long drive champ there hitting balls and answering questions...
One guy asks: DO YOU HIT THE BALL FARTHER WITH TOP SPIN OR BACKSPIN?

I almost laughed out loud.
[/quote]
How did the guy answer that one?

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

2 friends arguing down the line about trying each others 3 woods. Finally they make the trade for a couple shots. Then one of them says okay let's really lean into one and see how far they go. "Okay but if you break it you bought it"... Closer guy to me takes a mad hack at it. Sound like a tree limb snapped off and sure enough there goes the club head soaring through the air about 60 yards out onto the range. But wait... The other guy was so pissed he just took his buddies club and snapped it over his knee. Handed it back and said "all square".

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Demo day a couple years my buddy who played junior hockey in the WHL was on the flightscope putting on a bit of a show, he woulda been 17 at the time, anyway he was in the mid-upper 120's and some guy comes over with his 910d3 with a 7M3 in it saying it was tipped an inch and a half asking if my wants to hit it, he says ok rips a couple head high bombs and goes "wow thats not the easiest thing to get in the air" guy replies "yeah I know I need it cause I hit the ball so high that's why I play X c-tapers in my miura blades too." Anyways we see the guy a couple minutes later on the other end of the range shanking some titleist mb demos and when he caught it good would hit the 6 iron about 150 tops (this is at 1000m elevation too) anyways he comes back up to us and I asked him how he was liking the mb's he replies "oh they're alright, definitely need a stiffer shaft and would need to get the lie angles tweak though."

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1393815222' post='8784232']
Just came back from the Toronto golf show and it was pretty bad. BUT they had a long drive champ there hitting balls and answering questions...

[/quote]
[/quote]

He had no choice than to be nice about it and told him that you never have top spin in golf. I am pretty sure the guy asking the question was still not convinced. I was impressed that no one laughed out loud.

Taylormade R1
Titleist 913F 15*(set to 16.5*)
Taylormade Rescue11 19*
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW
Vokey SM4 50*, TVD-K 56 (bent to 55)
SC Select Newport 2

[quote name='scotto69' timestamp='1379598095' post='7876839']
A friend telling his buddy "Dude, watch me hit the truck". The truck is parked out at around 265 or 270 yds.

He looked over at me after saying that and asked "How far to the truck? About 350, right?"

"Little less than that" I laughed.

He took about 70 attempts and never hit a ball farther than 200 in the air. He let his buddy use his clubs and his friend broke not one, but two of his clubs by swinging so steeply into the mat.

Good times.
[/quote]

That made me chuckle...good one.

[quote name='ovib' timestamp='1393847165' post='8785824']

[/quote]
[/quote]

He had no choice than to be nice about it and told him that you never have top spin in golf. I am pretty sure the guy asking the question was still not convinced. I was impressed that no one laughed out loud.
[/quote]

No one laughed because most of the knuckleheads probably thought it was a legitimate question. We get spoiled with all the intelligent people on GolfWRX that call out the dumb statements. The vast majority of golfers have no clue as to ball flight laws, swing mechanics, or the rules of golf.

[quote name='sigmapete1' timestamp='1394125921' post='8811795']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No one laughed because most of the knuckleheads probably thought it was a legitimate question. We get spoiled with all the intelligent people on GolfWRX that call out the dumb statements. The vast majority of golfers have no clue as to ball flight laws, swing mechanics, or the rules of golf.
[/quote]

This is true. The rule often goes, "If someone asks it, many are probably thinking it..."

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

[quote name='sigmapete1' timestamp='1394125921' post='8811795']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In all homesty why wouldn't most golfers believe it (I don't) when the announcers on tv constantly refer to pros hitting a shot with over spin or top spin.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

So I worked at a driving range all throughout college. There are woods on the back end which are roughly 330 yards, so yes it is possible to hit it in there but it doesnt happen often.

One time I guy came in and bought a bucket (150 balls) and asked to borrow a club. I handed him our standard 7-iron demo (some old Mizuno probably because we have a ton of them). He came back up and asked me how far it was to the woods and told me that every single one of his balls flew over the trees

^ Another story that drops off just as it's starting to get good.. All these "lead ups" to possible great conversations that end up never happening (being told) lead me to wonder how much truth there is behind the story. Booooooo!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I am a lefty golfer. There were 11 of us at the range one afternoon. It was a normal day at the range when some crazy guy started to yell something. I could barely hear him but he said "Wow, this is crazy, 11 of us here and not one single right handed golfer; ALL LEFTY'S!!!"... we looked around and it was true! We were all left handed golfers. We laughed :)

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

[quote name='tdelam' timestamp='1394132068' post='8812627']
I am a lefty golfer. There were 11 of us at the range one afternoon. It was a normal day at the range when some crazy guy started to yell something. I could barely hear him but he said "Wow, this is crazy, 11 of us here and not one single right handed golfer; ALL LEFTY'S!!!"... we looked around and it was true! We were all left handed golfers. We laughed :)
[/quote]

I have been the only right in a group more often than not. Too many of you leftys throws off the force :)

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

[/quote]
I definitely see a lot more lefties in Canada (because so many of you grew up playing hockey that way) but that is pretty impressive!

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1394153834' post='8815263']
[/quote]
I definitely see a lot more lefties in Canada (because so many of you grew up playing hockey that way) but that is pretty impressive!
[/quote]

Yea. I played hockey since I was 3 and started competitive when I was 5 and still play. Funny thing is everything else I do is right-handed. I used to play fastball and I was the pitcher, I threw fastball with my right hand and swung the bat left hand. I right with my right hand. I love being a lefty though, it saves me some money too. I have been to the right handed BST and it's a dangerous place for a club ho, lol

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

[quote name='jjm2214' timestamp='1394128773' post='8812213']
So I worked at a driving range all throughout college. There are woods on the back end which are roughly 330 yards, so yes it is possible to hit it in there but it doesnt happen often.

One time I guy came in and bought a bucket (150 balls) and asked to borrow a club. I handed him our standard 7-iron demo (some old Mizuno probably because we have a ton of them). He came back up and asked me how far it was to the woods and told me that every single one of his balls flew over the trees
[/quote]

Oh my, that is something else.

Humble brag: was lucky enough to be at the Ping Headquarters the last 5 days for fitting training/work fun.

We were on the range and there was about 20 of us there, practicing fittings on each other. Were in the middle of the range and there are fences that run along each side. As we were doing this one of the fitters was actually fitting a customer. At some point all you hear is *PING* (no pun intended) and then smack! Guy getting fit shanked one into the fence and it hit a post square and came right back at us going right in between a buddies legs and hitting a fitting cart.

Everyone looks over at the guy, not a sorry or anything said just laughs and says where were we? Gutless.

From a range rat who is always at the range near my work: "Why do you play that Callaway and Taylormade crap. You wasted your money. I got these clubs from Warrior for free. And they are way better than the stuff you are playing. They can make you a PGA pro player in a couple of years." I stared at him blankly and shrugged my shoulders. "Well suit yourself. These clubs will make me a pro next year."

Then the guy proceeds to hit a bunch of worm burners in a row.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

There's a teaching pro giving a lesson to a 10 year old, he's wearing some garish Loudmouth pants, color match shirt, shoes and hat. As I walk by he asks the kid "you ever see pants like this before?"

Later as I'm leaving the kids mom is picking him up and I hear her say to the pro "Oh I'm sorry I didn't bring my checkbook with me."

Too funny.

Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

[quote name='leerob3' timestamp='1394501914' post='8844115']
There's a teaching pro giving a lesson to a 10 year old, he's wearing some garish Loudmouth pants, color match shirt, shoes and hat. As I walk by he asks the kid "you ever see pants like this before?"

[/quote]

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

[quote name='MizyPure' timestamp='1394502498' post='8844211']
[quote name='leerob3' timestamp='1394501914' post='8844115']

[/quote]

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?
[/quote]

Ha-ha that's exactly what I was thinking! "you ever seen a grown man naked?"

Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Just yesterday...a kid swung so hard in the stall next to me he did a full 360 spin and almost fell down.

You could hear him drop kicking the ball with a driver. 10 shots later the head flies off and almost hits the 50 yards sign in the range.

This is probably the 5th time in the last year I've seen people slam the club into the mat so hard they break the head off. Makes my shoulder hurt just thinking about it.

I have terrible ankles, and if I step in a hole that I don't see, it's pretty easy for me to twist one. Yesterday, I was at the range, and I had just started my bucket, and as I was walking back to my bag to wipe off my club and grab a different one, I stepped in a little depression, my spikes got caught in the grass, ankle twisted, and I just went down, bringing my bag with me. My neighbors in the adjoining spots were kind enough to not laugh out loud at me, but I'm sure I was a sorry sight to behold (luckily, just tweaked it a little, and I was able to keep hitting the rest of the bucket.)

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='tdelam' timestamp='1394163843' post='8816631']
[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1394153834' post='8815263']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yea. I played hockey since I was 3 and started competitive when I was 5 and still play. Funny thing is everything else I do is right-handed. I used to play fastball and I was the pitcher, I threw fastball with my right hand and swung the bat left hand. I right with my right hand. I love being a lefty though, it saves me some money too. I have been to the right handed BST and it's a dangerous place for a club ho, lol
[/quote]

you "right with your right hand", so do you left with your left hand? haha.

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1394554553' post='8847827']
I have terrible ankles, and if I step in a hole that I don't see, it's pretty easy for me to twist one. Yesterday, I was at the range, and I had just started my bucket, and as I was walking back to my bag to wipe off my club and grab a different one, I stepped in a little depression, my spikes got caught in the grass, ankle twisted, and I just went down, bringing my bag with me. My neighbors in the adjoining spots were kind enough to not laugh out loud at me, but I'm sure I was a sorry sight to behold (luckily, just tweaked it a little, and I was able to keep hitting the rest of the bucket.)
[/quote]

Sucks having ankles like that doesn't it? I can step on a fairly small rock just right and have it cause the ankle to roll.

And by the way, the 11 leftys on the range, that is awesome.