2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

[quote name='sompin2do' timestamp='1379598829' post='7876897']
A dad forcing his 5 year old son to learn a pre-shot routine. Have seen him and his wife forcing the kid to hit balls almost daily for well over a year now. Most of their sessions turn to negotiations where Jr is trying to get done sooner so he can get off the range.
[/quote]

That's funny! My son was 11 when he picked up the game. I kept telling him that he should develop a pre-shot routine to help him get ready for the shots that he was going to hit to help build some consistency. He would look at me and just nod, never taking it seriously. He was also going to the First Tee at the time and one day we were on the range and I noticed the pre-shot routine. I asked him what changed his mind, and he said that the pro at the First Tee told him it would be a good idea, so he started doing it...

Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS, Oban Devotion 6
Callaway Rogue ST 3 wood
PING G400 3h, 4h
Titleist T300 5i - GW (KBS C-Taper Lite)
Callaway PM Grind 54 and 58 Degree
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

I was about half way through a bucket of balls when some dude sets up in the stall right next to me and starts hitting. After every shot he managed to not snap hook he would say something "wow, that's a picture" or "just beautiful" and fairly loudly at that. Never mind the shot he hooked completely off the range and almost killed a couple of league players on the first fairway (without yelling fore). After listening to this guy for a while I turn around to look at him and realize that I actually know him. He and I were paired together on a local course once and ever since that day I have referred to him as the biggest d-bag I've ever seen on the course. Proceeded to tell me he is the longest hitter he's ever seen and everyone that plays with him wants to buy clubs just like his, and that was all before the second tee. Of course he wasn't any good when it came to actually playing golf but he sure was good about talking about playing it.

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1399787511' post='9271991']
[quote name='Snufles' ='1399784505' post='9271929']
Not on the range but on the first Tee from a Pro giving a lesson to a guy in the group waiting to tee off. Smacked one out there down the middle probably close to 300ish and this teaching pro tells me my stance is too narrow.
[/quote]
It's totally possible to hit good shots with flaws in your swing. I do it all the time. I hit it out there 300+ on occasion, but I struggle with setup problems, including setting up too narrowly.
[/quote]
Just think, with proper setup both of you could probably routinely hit the ball over 350. I think that you both need some range experts to help you out :swoon:

[quote name='malys78' timestamp='1439387118' post='12122882']
[quote name='sompin2do' timestamp='1379598829' post='7876897']
A dad forcing his 5 year old son to learn a pre-shot routine. Have seen him and his wife forcing the kid to hit balls almost daily for well over a year now. Most of their sessions turn to negotiations where Jr is trying to get done sooner so he can get off the range.
[/quote]

That's funny! My son was 11 when he picked up the game. I kept telling him that he should develop a pre-shot routine to help him get ready for the shots that he was going to hit to help build some consistency. He would look at me and just nod, never taking it seriously. He was also going to the First Tee at the time and one day we were on the range and I noticed the pre-shot routine. I asked him what changed his mind, and he said that the pro at the First Tee told him it would be a good idea, so he started doing it...
[/quote]That's funny and unfortunately seems to be an age old challenge.

Not on the range, but on the putting green today I had a funny/weird experience. We have a fairly big putting green. When I walked up this morning, only one guy was there. I watched him take this John Daly-ish long swing only to almost stop at impact and hit the ball about 5 yds (we do allow chipping on the putting green as long as it isn't a big flop shot). When I put my bag down and walked onto the green to putt, he gave me a really weird look and started mumbling. He put his wedge up and grabbed his driver and started practice swinging. I spent at least an hour putting and chipping and the guy never hit another shot. When I left he was sitting in a cart just looking around.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

My wife had me invite her freinds husband to play a round. For the last year or so he claimed how he could hit the long ball ( 300+ ) , seeing that he was 6'4" and he claimed to play quite a bit I belived him. On the range before our round I watched him hack a small bucket of balls all with his driver , not one ball went past 220 at most and not one was straight. When we were heading to the first hole he said " if I could just hit em like today that I'll be golden " with a straight face lol.

Ya there GI irons ... but I keep em clean .

This elderly gentleman plopped his bucket of balls near me today. Large bucket, 6 bucks, probably 70 balls or so. He proceeds to chip about 40 plus balls out in front of him ranging in distances from 15 to maybe 40 feet. He than yanks out his driver and lashes about 6 balls all over the place. Puts his driver away and carries his entire bag back up the large hill to the pro shop and parking lot. At least a 3rd of the bucket left. The odd part is that there is a chipping area with a green with actual holes and flags right behind the mats.

I was dumbfounded and of course in expected GOLFWRX fashion, scurried over, grabbed his leftover bucket and took a couple of strides forward and easily swept about 25 balls toward my mat.

Bizarre.

[quote name='mukster' timestamp='1439346317' post='12120890']
I was at the range on the weekend. A guy set up in the stall next to me. Didn't notice anything at first, then I thought he was speaking to me. Turns out, he was speaking to himself, foreign language. He would turn to his bag, say a few sentences and then announce in English in a loud voice: "7 Iron!". He would then hit some shots, turn to the bag, change clubs, talk to the bag and say "3 wood!" And continue hitting.

Strangest thing I've seen/heard in a while.
[/quote]

Maybe he had a camcorder or phone in his bag and was announcing what club he was hitting when he watched the video later?

Or, maybe he is a psychopath and you should thank your lucky stars he didn't kill you!

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

A gentleman had a swing speed meter behind me. Funny guy walks up and ask if he can try a few shots with the swing speed meter. The gentleman politely lets him hit a few balls to test it out (funny guy brought his own balls to hit). "95...96...96...96...94... I think your speed meter might be off, I usually swing between 115-125"...I almost s*** my pants when he said that, to be honest I'm surprised he was in the high 90's.

[quote name='JonLivestrong' timestamp='1439536288' post='12135184']A gentleman had a swing speed meter behind me. Funny guy walks up and ask if he can try a few shots with the swing speed meter. The gentleman politely lets him hit a few balls to test it out (funny guy brought his own balls to hit). "95...96...96...96...94... I think your speed meter might be off, I usually swing between 115-125"...I almost s*** my pants when he said that, to be honest I'm surprised he was in the high 90's.[/quote]

If that's a big enough reason to drop a deuce in your own gear, you have far larger issues....

Was at a range that had two mats per stall, and the stalls were separated by a wall. My uncle was on the right mat, and somehow hits a ball high right, hits the ceiling of the stall next to us, and bounces down in the stall next to us (could hear it bounce on the concrete). There was a person in that stall.

How this was physically possible I will never know. But as soon as it happened, my uncle says "SORRY ABOUT THAT" in a voice way lower than his normal voice, somehow trying to mask that it was actually him. LOL funniest thing I have witnessed in a while.

Saturday... I member was warming up and his buddies said " Fred did ya get some new clubs?" his reply, " nope I came home early and found my wife in bed with my nieghbor so I took his clubs out of the back of his car. "

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1439914833' post='12161862']
Saturday... I member was warming up and his buddies said " Fred did ya get some new clubs?" his reply, " nope I came home early and found my wife in bed with my nieghbor so I took his clubs out of the back of his car. "
[/quote]

Please oh please this was a joke...... fricken found that out I would be in jail and all over the news as the guy would have eaten his whole set of clubs... bag and all......

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='2ball' timestamp='1440550702' post='12208886']
Just heard this one recently, .... "You do that one more time and I'm going to punch you in the c@#k"

I turn around and it's a 10 year old girl with her fist in a ball talking to her little brother.

We just lost it, and the dad was mortified.
[/quote]

Kids say the darndest things

I'm a one handicap and I hit the ball very high. I went to the driving range close to my house a few days ago because I didn't feel like driving to my club. The guy next to me had been topping and shanking shots the entire time when he asks if he can give me some advice. I give him a confused look and say sure. He tells me that he noticed I hit the ball too high and that I would be a much better player if I lbrought my ball flight down. He then told me he had played for 30 years and knew what he was talking about. He recommended I move the ball back in my stance and swing steeper. He said he was at the PGA Championship and noticed that was what Jason Day was doing. I kind of laughed and said thanks. It was funny because Day hits it higher than anyone on tour. You have to love the high double digit handicaps that think they are pros because they have played for 30 years.

Another one: I do resemble a prominent tour pro and I wear a lot of the same brand of clothes that he does. I was hitting balls and a guy came up and asked for my autograph. I laughed and told him I wasn't who he thought I was, but he was insistent that he knew I was just trying blend in and not get noticed. I took his hat and signed my real name. The best part is my name was on my bag a few feet away. He now has a titleist hat signed by a local nobody that happens to play a lot of golf. I really hope he puts it on EBay.

[quote name='Twitch12' timestamp='1441145008' post='12247418']
Another one: I do resemble a prominent tour pro and I wear a lot of the same brand of clothes that he does. I was hitting balls and a guy came up and asked for my autograph. I laughed and told him I wasn't who he thought I was, but he was insistent that he knew I was just trying blend in and not get noticed. I took his hat and signed my real name. The best part is my name was on my bag a few feet away. He now has a titleist hat signed by a local nobody that happens to play a lot of golf. I really hope he puts it on EBay.
[/quote]

That's ridiculous. You need to post a picture.

[quote name='Twitch12' timestamp='1441144650' post='12247392']
I'm a one handicap and I hit the ball very high. I went to the driving range close to my house a few days ago because I didn't feel like driving to my club. The guy next to me had been topping and shanking shots the entire time when he asks if he can give me some advice. I give him a confused look and say sure. He tells me that he noticed I hit the ball too high and that I would be a much better player if I lbrought my ball flight down. He then told me he had played for 30 years and knew what he was talking about. He recommended I move the ball back in my stance and swing steeper. He said he was at the PGA Championship and noticed that was what Jason Day was doing. I kind of laughed and said thanks. It was funny because Day hits it higher than anyone on tour. You have to love the high double digit handicaps that think they are pros because they have played for 30 years.
[/quote]

Those are the guys you should pick on and ask to play for money straight up.

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

Oh man, I heard a non-stop conversation of one-liners yesterday. Had an older gent on the range helping someone, of course he had his cart parked IN the hitting stall next to his "pupil" when there aren't supposed to be any carts at all anywhere on the line

But here are a few

"you gotta squat, see that, thats how you load it up, you gotta squat, have you seen tiger squat?"

"no no, you gotta really trap it, trap it and keep the ball low, see how im trapping it?"

"I once shot a 67 back in 86"

"Ive spent over 100k on golf lessons, I once took a lesson with peter kostis, you know, the golf announcer"

• 3 weeks later...

Not on the range but I went out yesterday for a quick 9 as a single and another single joined me on the first tee. I knew from my first drive I was in trouble. I pulled my drive a bit and it drew in to the left rough and he says "Now we're gonna want to start that ball down the right side of the fairway and let it draw in to the middle, thats something we're going to work on today". He then proceeds to top his drive and it rolls down the middle. Doesn't say anything about his drive. The rest of the round, including putts, he critiques every shot and tells me about something "we" are going to keep working on. I humored him and kept it friendly. Turned out he was one of those "I got a lesson a couple days ago and now know everything about golf" guys.

[quote name='Mah0027' timestamp='1442607490' post='12332264']
Not on the range but I went out yesterday for a quick 9 as a single and another single joined me on the first tee. I knew from my first drive I was in trouble. I pulled my drive a bit and it drew in to the left rough and he says "Now we're gonna want to start that ball down the right side of the fairway and let it draw in to the middle, thats something we're going to work on today". He then proceeds to top his drive and it rolls down the middle. Doesn't say anything about his drive. The rest of the round, including putts, he critiques every shot and tells me about something "we" are going to keep working on. I humored him and kept it friendly. Turned out he was one of those "I got a lesson a couple days ago and now know everything about golf" guys.
[/quote]
Had a guy like this once. He wouldn't leave the 12th green until I would hit my first putt over while he tended the flag telling me how to roll it. I thought about leaving him there and moving on, but I guess I'm too nice a guy.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1442610017' post='12332424']
Had a guy like this once. He wouldn't leave the 12th green until I would hit my first putt over while he tended the flag telling me how to roll it. I thought about leaving him there and moving on, but I guess I'm too nice a guy.
[/quote]
Lol. The sad thing is if that happened to me, I'd probably do the same. Duh. It's not easy being nice.

[quote name='Mah0027' timestamp='1442607490' post='12332264']Not on the range but I went out yesterday for a quick 9 as a single and another single joined me on the first tee. I knew from my first drive I was in trouble. I pulled my drive a bit and it drew in to the left rough and he says "Now we're gonna want to start that ball down the right side of the fairway and let it draw in to the middle, thats something we're going to work on today". He then proceeds to top his drive and it rolls down the middle. Doesn't say anything about his drive. The rest of the round, including putts, he critiques every shot and tells me about something "we" are going to keep working on. I humored him and kept it friendly. Turned out he was one of those "I got a lesson a couple days ago and now know everything about golf" guys.[/quote]

Was it because he was supposed to be doing a playing lesson with someone that didn't show? I just don't get how someone acts like that.

[center] Titleist 915D2 8.5* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di6s
Titleist 915F 15* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di7s[/center]
[center] Titleist 915H 21* - Aldila Rogue 85 S
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour S
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*F, 56*S, 60*K - KBS Hi-Rev S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/center]

[center][url="http://invite.golfmat.ch/m/I6G4g3MqEn"]Find me on GolfMatch App.[/url] - TJ O[/center]