Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

This thread is fun. I revisit it from time to time just for the laughs.

I'm a member of a "wannabe" club...you know, that club in town that is pretty nice and frankly a bit of a hidden gem, but is definitely not the best or nicest club in town. But many of the members don't seem to know "our place" in the local club hierarchy.

So at the range, and when I get paired up, it's about 50/50 as to whether the person will be OK or a dbag. I've been around my share of both. I love seeing the variety of personalities and swings at the range. I had an old dude trip over the green rope marking the front of the range teeing ground the other day. He had just finished his swing and must have walked it down like Player or something. We have another guy who does a complete turn of his body and head away from the ball, swings hard back to the ball but slows his finish way down to end up in a reasonably balanced position. Another guy, a youngish dbag, is always giving lessons to whomever is with him. The other day, a big dude shows up with his lady, and he's struggling...so at one point I hear her say "I promise I'm not watching you".

Range people watching...a fun sport in its own right.

Today I finally get to add to this thread. I was at the range when a group of 3 guys and 1 girl walk up. This one guy had on grey sweats, orange shirt, and a backwards SnapBack. I hear him tell his friends "Don't worry about trying to hit it as far as I do, my fastest swing speed recorded was 176 but I average about 140". I tried my hardest not to burst out laughing. He wasn't hitting them bad but the tree line at my range is about 320 out largely downhill. He was dropping them about 260-270. I couldn't focus the rest of the time so I just left my bucket and my girlfriend couldn't understand what was so funny until I explained in the car.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was playing at my home club & they leave out buckets of balls on the range . Free range balls essentially . I was walking to the range to. Warm up and went over to a XXL bucket by a guy warming up / practicing . Grab 5 balls and he goes ummmm actually those are mine

WTF ? Lol

So get on the course and this guy is just heated with his driver (not same one )

Almost snaps the driver over the neck with his wife around . Mind you he's easily 60 years old

Next shot he must not have liked and he just helicoptered his 3 wood into a guys yard lol

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson

• 2 weeks later...

After hitting exactly 3 warm-up, short pitched with my 60* wedge, guy walks up and says, "are you on tour?". I thought at first it was a joke my buddy had put him up to but he was dead serious...

Fake it til I make it! Apparently I have one cat fooled.

Ridiculous.

I got this question after all of 1 hole of golf one time. Had just gotten off a plane in AZ and sped to my tee time. Hit 2 warm up shots and met my pairing at the first tee. To be fair I did smash my drive and then hit a wedge to 10 feet and made the birdie, but the question that followed was "So are you on the Web.com tour or what tour are you on"? Dead serious. Gave me a good laugh.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

After hitting exactly 3 warm-up, short pitched with my 60* wedge, guy walks up and says, "are you on tour?". I thought at first it was a joke my buddy had put him up to but he was dead serious...

Ridiculous.

I got this question after all of 1 hole of golf one time. Had just gotten off a plane in AZ and sped to my tee time. Hit 2 warm up shots and met my pairing at the first tee. To be fair I did smash my drive and then hit a wedge to 10 feet and made the birdie, but the question that followed was "So are you on the Web.com tour or what tour are you on"? Dead serious. Gave me a good laugh.

I've had similar situations. I always make sure to explain how those guys are on a totally different world from my game.

my all time favorite range quote, first time my wife and I went to the range... shes probably hit balls 5x in her life...

hits a PW twice, looked like she flushed both shots, "mastered that one, next... (does the same thing with the 9)... mastered that one too, next... what's so hard about this?"

I couldn't stop laughing... great to be able to go enjoy the game with the woman you love!

my all time favorite range quote, first time my wife and I went to the range... shes probably hit balls 5x in her life...

hits a PW twice, looked like she flushed both shots, "mastered that one, next... (does the same thing with the 9)... mastered that one too, next... what's so hard about this?"

I couldn't stop laughing... great to be able to go enjoy the game with the woman you love!

Your a better man than me. I dont think Id have been able to look at her for several weeks.

Your a better man than me. I dont think Id have been able to look at her for several weeks.

You kidding me....... look up, I would have just stopped and said lets play Checkers

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Complete stranger on the range is hitting balls. Looks like a golf ball sprinkler. Balls flying right, left, center, high and low. Skies 2 balls off the top of his King Cobra offset driver and proceeds to ask me:

Stranger: Our swings look similar and I'm looking for a new driver. Could I try that driver your hitting?"

Me: I'm hitting 3W. Thanks.

Stranger: Well you're hitting that thing as far as my driver. Let me try that one.

Me: I've got to head to the tee. Have a nice day.

Guy had zero self awareness. He was wearing jeans...

woman on the range....."Excuse me, sir??...Sir....Sir??? SIR!!!"

***man wakes up***

woman to man...."Do I have to pay for the last 5-10 minutes of the lesson that you were sleeping?"

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

***man wakes up***

woman to man...."Do I have to pay for the last 5-10 minutes of the lesson that you were sleeping?"

Let me guess, catalano?

TM R1 Blk NS Pro Regio MB
TM R11 TP Fujikura Speeder
Titleist 710 CB KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM 52.08 56.11 60.04
Bettinardi BB16 34"

***man wakes up***

She must have had that smooth Freddy Couples like tempo that put the guy to sleep.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

***man wakes up***

She must have had that smooth Freddy Couples like tempo that put the guy to sleep.

This guy could fall asleep in the middle of a runway

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

You kidding me....... look up, I would have just stopped and said lets play Checkers

haha it wasn't really all that surprising to be honest... shes one of best natural female athletes I've ever seen... a few weeks later we went to a course for her first time and she hit the flag stick from about 60 yds out lol

Ridiculous.

I played with some Asians from Toronto at my home course for a back 9. On the 12 hole I went Driver, 6 iron on 520 yard par 5 and made eagle. We got up to the got up to the green and one says you must be tour pro. He wouldn't believe I wasn't.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

It's these mats, I never shank it on the course!

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Complete stranger on the range is hitting balls. Looks like a golf ball sprinkler. Balls flying right, left, center, high and low. Skies 2 balls off the top of his King Cobra offset driver and proceeds to ask me:

Stranger: Our swings look similar and I'm looking for a new driver. Could I try that driver your hitting?"

Stranger: Well you're hitting that thing as far as my driver. Let me try that one.

I don't get the jeans part. Are you saying people shouldn't be allowed to wear jeans on the driving range?

So this was a "heard" and "seen".

A week or two ago, I'm hitting balls at the range. I turn around and there is this young guy in is early 20s standing almost on top of me behind me. Needless to say, I get the fright of my life. He says "excuse me sir, can you please tell me why all my balls are going left when I hit my 3 wood?" I hate giving advice to people, but the guy asked again very nicely.

He is hitting balls a few stalls from me and I see that he is a lefty. So I advise him he is slicing the ball and rather than give him a lot of swing advice, I tell him about the club path and the ball path and tell him to think of tennis, almost like hitting a topspin forearm shot.

He thanks me and goes back to his stall.I hear this "THUNK-PANG!!!!!" and look around and the guy is standing holding his 3 wood shaft. The head is somewhere on the range. He must have hammered that head down onto the carpet. Neither he or I made eye contact for the rest of the session.

I leave the coaching to coaches.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Kai'li Red shaft

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti  5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Cobra 4 hybrid

Cobra 5 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 6-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB  putter

I don't get the jeans part. Are you saying people shouldn't be allowed to wear jeans on the driving range?

Depends on the range...but no not the one he was on that day.

I had my Bose Bluetooth buds in, and head down. From 6 stalls away, this guy came up to me unprovoked and stared at me until I looked up and took one ear out....."When I'm hitting ProVs, I can usually hit it about 320. These balls have no pop in them. Do the balls seem dead to you..." This came from a dude who did not carry one ball over 150 with his brand new M1. No words.

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

There is a guy who brings his wife/girlfriend to a local course to practice sometimes where I go. He drives a real souped up Camaro or trans am. He reminds me a lot of danny bonaduce if you know who that is. Both in looks and attitude. Kind of loud. One day he starts telling me that she is going to start playing tournaments and try to get on the tour. Very attractive girl, decent swing, but nowhere close to being even a good local player. She is extremely serious and he just watches. The only problem is if I take a break and just watch her take a few swings, he starts watching me watch her. Very uncomfortable and it's usually just the 3 of us out there.

This has got to be a first.....

I think I "Felt" the most ridiculous thing happen to me?

1) I have a range usually 10 minutes away from my house, its under construction so for a year

2) The next closes one is 30 minutes away (while not far its still a pain in the butt)

3) Friday shot a horrible round and noticed I was just down right off, toeing shots.....tempo, timing something off...

4) Went to the range last night, bought 5 range tokens, used 2 and was hitting everything almost "perfect" I felt like I couldnt miss, was just in a great striking mood, all clubs....

5) 30 minutes later said screw it, I better stop before I start getting lazy and doing stupid things.

I spent 1 hour driving for a 30minute range session that I felt was Excellent display of practice, but I felt so unsatisfied LOL as I usually spend 2+ hours at the range working things out!

ever had that day at the range were you felt like a tour pro LOL! HAHAHAHHA

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"