Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

This has got to be a first.....

I think I "Felt" the most ridiculous thing happen to me?

1) I have a range usually 10 minutes away from my house, its under construction so for a year

2) The next closes one is 30 minutes away (while not far its still a pain in the butt)

3) Friday shot a horrible round and noticed I was just down right off, toeing shots.....tempo, timing something off...

4) Went to the range last night, bought 5 range tokens, used 2 and was hitting everything almost "perfect" I felt like I couldnt miss, was just in a great striking mood, all clubs....

5) 30 minutes later said screw it, I better stop before I start getting lazy and doing stupid things.

I spent 1 hour driving for a 30minute range session that I felt was Excellent display of practice, but I felt so unsatisfied LOL as I usually spend 2+ hours at the range working things out!

ever had that day at the range were you felt like a tour pro LOL! HAHAHAHHA

Lol been there, done that. The frustrating part is when you feel that way, and you go out the next day and start toeing everything again!!

A guy I had never seen before shows up to our range on Monday. Nice enough guy but very talkative. So he hits a few shots and turns to the guy next to him (in the next hitting area)..."is that blue flag out there about 160? Because I hit my PW about 150-160 and I'm not quite reaching it today". Guy says he doesn't know but thinks it is more like 140. I scope it and it is 136 and I tell them so. So the talkative guy goes "Oh, wow, well damn, these new range balls suck. No wonder I hate coming to the range." So I chuckle a little but go on about my business. Guy appears to be a 20+ handicap based on his swing, and he's muttering after every shot. He then says "Guess I'll just hit the cut today...those trees are gobbling up all of my shots" and then proceeds to tell the guy beside him about how he usually hits a draw, but can't do that today because of those trees, and so he's hitting a cut but he doesn't like too, etc. Mind you, his swing was ugly enough that I am sure he slices most every shot, and then he starts complaining about his cut becoming a slice.

Later, the poor dude between us leaves so the guy starts chatting me up. We talk a little...like I said nice enough guy. But he says he just needs to quit coming to the range..."I shot 78 the other day and I come out here now and I can't hit anything". He then shows me his Titleist driver (915D3...looks sharp). I grab it and 1st thing I notice is how short the shaft is. I ask him about it and he says "No, I actually had a 1/2 inch added to it. Titleist usually makes their driver stock shafts shorter than Callaway". His driver shaft was 1/2 to an inch shorter than mine...but he swore that was because Callaway usually adds an inch and that is how they claim so much extra distance.

He was a trip...harmless, decent guy...but typical 20+ handicapper that shot 78 the other day who outhits lots of guys but he's not that long of a hitter really, etc.

A guy I had never seen before shows up to our range on Monday. Nice enough guy but very talkative. So he hits a few shots and turns to the guy next to him (in the next hitting area)..."is that blue flag out there about 160? Because I hit my PW about 150-160 and I'm not quite reaching it today". Guy says he doesn't know but thinks it is more like 140. I scope it and it is 136 and I tell them so. So the talkative guy goes "Oh, wow, well damn, these new range balls suck. No wonder I hate coming to the range." So I chuckle a little but go on about my business. Guy appears to be a 20+ handicap based on his swing, and he's muttering after every shot. He then says "Guess I'll just hit the cut today...those trees are gobbling up all of my shots" and then proceeds to tell the guy beside him about how he usually hits a draw, but can't do that today because of those trees, and so he's hitting a cut but he doesn't like too, etc. Mind you, his swing was ugly enough that I am sure he slices most every shot, and then he starts complaining about his cut becoming a slice.

Later, the poor dude between us leaves so the guy starts chatting me up. We talk a little...like I said nice enough guy. But he says he just needs to quit coming to the range..."I shot 78 the other day and I come out here now and I can't hit anything". He then shows me his Titleist driver (915D3...looks sharp). I grab it and 1st thing I notice is how short the shaft is. I ask him about it and he says "No, I actually had a 1/2 inch added to it. Titleist usually makes their driver stock shafts shorter than Callaway". His driver shaft was 1/2 to an inch shorter than mine...but he swore that was because Callaway usually adds an inch and that is how they claim so much extra distance.

He was a trip...harmless, decent guy...but typical 20+ handicapper that shot 78 the other day who outhits lots of guys but he's not that long of a hitter really, etc.

Well, Titleist 915= 45" and Callaway XR16= 45.75" so he may not be right but on the right track I guess...

Yikes.... one of my playing buddies has a guy like that in his club...that chats your ear off at the course.....

As for the distance though since my location land is limited, we have those distance robbing golf balls, they show 150 yard flags, but when you laser them they are indeed about 140. I think the range balls are those limited distance balls.

As for the driver, It is a little weird, I hit the G30 and instantly felt it was long..... oddly long, then went to the 915D3 and felt immediately shorter.. especially in the swing weight too.... 45 vs 45.75 D6 vs D2..... was a pretty decent jump.

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Well, Titleist 915= 45" and Callaway XR16= 45.75" so he may not be right but on the right track I guess...

Yes, I figured this may be the case...I know my X2 Hot Pro was 46", but I think my 816 DBD is 45.5". Anyway, his 915D2 was awfully short though.

Do you think he really shot 78?

After all of the mulligans, not counting penalty strokes and gimme putts sure....he shot 78 ?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I guess I don't have anything specific about things ive heard on the range that are ridiculous, but 2 years ago the course I was a member at was a public course. The area I live in is pretty well known for having a lot of amish folks. All the teenage amish kids who were on their rumspringa, all the sudden became avid golfers.

With all of that being said, any time I would be out on the range either practicing or warming up for a round or tournament, I could always tell if people behind me were amish or normal americans who used technology! lol The amish would get to the range and do nothing but blast drivers the whole time. Might actually be one of the funniest things I have witnessed in golf in general. Reminded me quite abit of that guy in the commercial with 14 different drivers in his bag. One day I asked one of them why they only warm up with a driver and his response was great. "Well me and some of my friends feel like if we can ever drive it far enough we don't have to worry about hitting any other clubs." Keep in mind this course wasn't a short course by any means. 7000+ yards from the tips!

I guess I don't have anything specific about things ive heard on the range that are ridiculous, but 2 years ago the course I was a member at was a public course. The area I live in is pretty well known for having a lot of amish folks. All the teenage amish kids who were on their rumspringa, all the sudden became avid golfers.

With all of that being said, any time I would be out on the range either practicing or warming up for a round or tournament, I could always tell if people behind me were amish or normal americans who used technology! lol The amish would get to the range and do nothing but blast drivers the whole time. Might actually be one of the funniest things I have witnessed in golf in general. Reminded me quite abit of that guy in the commercial with 14 different drivers in his bag. One day I asked one of them why they only warm up with a driver and his response was great. "Well me and some of my friends feel like if we can ever drive it far enough we don't have to worry about hitting any other clubs." Keep in mind this course wasn't a short course by any means. 7000+ yards from the tips!

well... I mean there logic was sound lol.

Do you think he really shot 78?

After all of the mulligans, not counting penalty strokes and gimme putts sure....he shot 78 ?

I shot a 1 Mulligan 77 the other day! I figure it's not even scoring time in Michigan yet, what the heck.

well... I mean there logic was sound lol.

Very true, almost Happy Gilmore'ish

a group of not so serious golfers were at the range. 3 stalls, 2 golf bags, maybe 5-6 total people. A female in the group kept trying to hit 3w off a 3" rubber driver tee. Numerous sky balls, shanks, hits into the divider, one hit the roof of the stall, etc.

Then I hear a roar..like tiger just chipped in for eagle type roar. Apparently she hit entirely under the ball, it popped straight up and came back to rest on the tee.

a group of not so serious golfers were at the range. 3 stalls, 2 golf bags, maybe 5-6 total people. A female in the group kept trying to hit 3w off a 3" rubber driver tee. Numerous sky balls, shanks, hits into the divider, one hit the roof of the stall, etc.

Then I hear a roar..like tiger just chipped in for eagle type roar. Apparently she hit entirely under the ball, it popped straight up and came back to rest on the tee.

That's gotta be the most rare thing that could ever happen in golf.

At bmw championship. Bubba comes out and is cranking shots over the net. A few random guys start to yell about mash potatoes and stuff. Bubba leaves after about 20 balls. I forget the pros name, but guy next to him cranks a drive, silence. Looks back to the crowd and goes, common!!! That was a good one!!! Laugher ensues

Titleist 910 D3, 9.5 Kai'li A1
Titleist 910 F, 15 Kai'li A1
Titleist 718 3 Iron
Titleist 712 AP1, 4-9
Odyssey ProType #9
Titleist SM7F, 48.10
Titleist SM6F, 52.08
Titleist SM6S, 56.10
Titleist SM4, 60.07

I had a lesson with this instructor once. The back net at this range is 240 yards, not sure how high it is but some days I can clear the net and others I can't. That day during the lesson i pulled out the driver as he wants to see me hit it. I hit the first one pretty good and says it flew the net. I saw it hit the very bottom of the net. Didn't say anything but every driver I hit he said cleared the net and not one of them did. I didn't say anything but am wondering if he could see?

I had a lesson with this instructor once. The back net at this range is 240 yards, not sure how high it is but some days I can clear the net and others I can't. That day during the lesson i pulled out the driver as he wants to see me hit it. I hit the first one pretty good and says it flew the net. I saw it hit the very bottom of the net. Didn't say anything but every driver I hit he said cleared the net and not one of them did. I didn't say anything but am wondering if he could see?

Wait just a minute buddy. Apparently you have not read or picked up on the protocol here on GolfWRX. After reading your post a couple of times, it became clear that you just will not fit in here unless you have a serious attitude adjustment. This story is supposed to read that you were cranking every drive OVER the net and the pro said you were coming up short. Not leaving it short. Now hit the edit button and fix this thing.

BTW, I truly respect your honesty. Not get to exaggerating and embellishing like the rest of us.

There was a father/son duo out there hitting. The kid hit a few and the father yelled "Are you even trying?!" The kid maybe had to be 4 or 5 tops

*puffs out chest* I've politely told a number of parents they're not qualified to teach their children and that I'd do it for free. The few that said yeah sure still have kids playing golf.

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

There was a father/son duo out there hitting. The kid hit a few and the father yelled "Are you even trying?!" The kid maybe had to be 4 or 5 tops

*puffs out chest* I've politely told a number of parents they're not qualified to teach their children and that I'd do it for free. The few that said yeah sure still have kids playing golf.

You know, sometimes parents mess up. I've done it with my little girl. I thought she wasn't trying in tournaments. Turns out she was 5, struggling to deal with competitive pressure, and I'm a baffoon.

So I apologized, we talked about it and things have been fine ever since. You don't need to meddle in other (random) people's business.

You know, sometimes parents mess up. I've done it with my little girl. I thought she wasn't trying in tournaments. Turns out she was 5, struggling to deal with competitive pressure, and I'm a baffoon.

So I apologized, we talked about it and things have been fine ever since. You don't need to meddle in other (random) people's business.

Dude, it's my job to teach anyone and everyone how to play better golf. I don't meddle, I suggest instruction. I'm not out there to raise children, I'm there to make golf fun.

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

I guess this isn't wild, but some guy was trying to teach his GF how to play Golf during a range session. Trying to explain everything before she even swung. He then says "this is a 7 iron. Usually goes around 200."

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Turned out I was "funny" at the range.

My kids like to golf and one is 6. Like most golfers I get my share of useless golf gifts. One I got years ago are tee's with trivia on them. As they are all bight colours my kids like to us them.

For fun that day as I pulled out tee I was asking my kid the questions on the tee (I knew should would have no clue about the answers, but it was fun to see her try to figure them out and answer "Tiger Woods?" each time.)

When we finished up the guy beside grabbed before we left desperate to see if the answers he had in his head were all correct - they were.

I am not sure if he knew I was I was just having a laugh with my daughter or if I was trying to create an UBER- Golfer.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I heard a guy telling his buddy that he's hitting his 4 iron 245 yards. I watched him hit some balls and the driver wasn't even going that far. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened but my guess is he caught it just right one time and has translated to he's consistently hitting it 245. I'm no teaching pro but I couldn't fathom any way he's hitting it like that.

On another note, a friend of mine and I got paired up with a father and son. The son must have been around 12-13 and new to the game. Dad was hitting these wicked slices off the course and he would hold the follow through for an extended time and say "too much power fade." And he did it on every drive.

I witnessed a dad, teaching his 5-6 year old son. The kid was more interested in running around, throw the balls, jump of the bench, just playing/having fun anything but golf in fact just what you'd expect from such a young kid.

After what must have been, a good 45mn session the dad was getting super technical, swing plane,back swing, wrists and all, which the kid had absolutely no care for. But what made me smile was when Daddy coach pulled out his phone to record the son's swing to show him his flaws! I had to chuckle...

lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hitting balls and a couple shows up with about a 5 year old and parks in the stall behind me. I have enough problems without worrying about anybody else so I rarely know what anyone else is doing, but I couldn't ignore this.

From the first swing, your backswing is too long, stop moving your feet, keep your head still, I'm going to nail your shoes to the ground... on and on, every shot. To give the kid credit he was cheerful, having fun and actually hitting a ball every once in a while. Thick skin, I wanted to choke them. Five year old with adult clubs. No wonder he was moving around, it was heavier than he was.

Most of this is coming from Mom. Dad hit a couple shots for demonstration, no warm up, solid. He's a playa.

I was just finishing putting my things away when Mom (the really mouthy one) decides to hit a couple. The kid challenges her with "Bet you can't hit it as far as I did!". After Dad's exhibition and the fact that she was so vocal I assumed she was a playa also. The kid won the bet. Train wreck swing, chunk, thin, shank, she had every shot in the bag. Good thing Dad was doing the demonstrations.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece