2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

Was in the range pro shop about a week ago and was talking to the master club fitter about some drivers I am interested in. The kid at the register was selling a range coin to a guy when another guy comes storming in to the pro shop stands within an inch of the guy buying the coin. He proceeds to yell at an inappropriate level at this 16 year old kid "what kind of operation is this. I put my basket under the dispenser and picked it up when it was done and then a whole nother load of balls came out. You people need a sign and you should have advised me." The guy buying the coin says calm down buddy, it's just an accident, and hot head responds "I will not this is absurd I want to hit balls, not clean up their messes. You need to talk to your bosses and run this place correctly." Then he started with cursing at the kid, who to his credit said "sir, get out of the pro shop. If you talk like that to me again, I will talk to the pro about banning you from this range. I'm sorry for your trouble, but I'm not your punching bag."

People can be such Word not allowedh0!€$, lots of props the kid for how he handled an over 50 year old irate man.

Ps, who doesn't know that those range machines are multi cycle. And who would think after buying a large token that a half bucket of balls would be a large.

Hey, what's wrong with being over 50 years old?

Was in the range pro shop about a week ago and was talking to the master club fitter about some drivers I am interested in. The kid at the register was selling a range coin to a guy when another guy comes storming in to the pro shop stands within an inch of the guy buying the coin. He proceeds to yell at an inappropriate level at this 16 year old kid "what kind of operation is this. I put my basket under the dispenser and picked it up when it was done and then a whole nother load of balls came out. You people need a sign and you should have advised me." The guy buying the coin says calm down buddy, it's just an accident, and hot head responds "I will not this is absurd I want to hit balls, not clean up their messes. You need to talk to your bosses and run this place correctly." Then he started with cursing at the kid, who to his credit said "sir, get out of the pro shop. If you talk like that to me again, I will talk to the pro about banning you from this range. I'm sorry for your trouble, but I'm not your punching bag."

People can be such Word not allowedh0!€$, lots of props the kid for how he handled an over 50 year old irate man.

Ps, who doesn't know that those range machines are multi cycle. And who would think after buying a large token that a half bucket of balls would be a large.

Hey, what's wrong with being over 50 years old?

Well, I know I don't like it as much as being under 50 years old! But I guess it beats the alternative.

I can't imagine it was easy for a teenager to stand up to an adult his parents age. Let alone when the guy is out of control. And manage to keep it calm and professional.

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2

The other night I heard the sprinklers come on spraying the tee boxes at 8pm when the range lights go out at 9. Nice reclaimed stinky water too. We all grabbed our bags, clubs etc. and got out of range. Now THAT'S ridiculous! The range master got them turned off but it was pretty irritating.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

So this Sunday this guy and his wife pull up to the stall next to me and the husband proceeds to give non stop advice.

There were so many things said I can't begin to remember them all, but it was a constant stream of tips for 45 min.

Some that I can remember:

1. On the backswing, pull with the left and push with the right hand.

2. Just a 1/2 swing

3. Your moving your head

4. Let me show you how to grip it, (this after 1/2 and hour)

5. You stood up

6. Keep your head down

7. I intentionally gave you the SW to practice with as it will build your muscles

8. Let's move to a 9 iron, it will still build your muscles but it is a bit lighter, well maybe a lot lighter?

9. Blah Blah Blah Blah

Non stop

10. I would hit some shots too but...hang on take it straight back.

11. There you go hon....you got that in the air, way to stay down on it.

12. Like I told ya in church this morning, I am not wearing my golf shoes because I don't worry about slipping.

The dude never hit a shot, and I so wanted him to just to see what he had.

Keep in mind this kept going non stop my entire session 6 feet away from me.

Guys like that are one of many reasons why I have a job.

You're a divorce lawyer?

Ba-dum ting! No I'm a golf pro, but if I were a divorce lawyer I'd hang out at driving ranges late weekend afternoons.

There's a story here so let it out!

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

A little different type of 'ridiculous':

There was an older gentleman hitting balls at the range where I was just setting up to start my range session.

I'd never seen him there before...He had a really nice swing, and I complimented him on it.

We ended up talking.

He was now early to mid 70's. He said the pinnacle of his history with golf was that he qualified for the US Amateur Senior Mens tournament a long time ago. He had worked really hard to do so, and was really excited about it.

Long story short: he missed his tee time. He was there practicing but had misunderstood his tee time. He was hours late for it.

He was a really nice guy. Initially I wasn't really paying attention to the story so much. But, when he got to the part about missing his tee time, I started paying attention. You could still sense the heartbreak in his voice as he told the story.

He wasn't bragging at all; as a matter of fact you could sense that while he was proud of qualifying, he was also really embarrassed about missing his tee time.

Why did he miss his tee time?

When they told him his tee time, he heard one thing, while they said another. Based upon what he thought he heard, he planned his morning. He woke up early and went down there...

I've heard a lot of dumb 5hit at the range also, but nothing worthy of posting here. This guys story however was one that you don't hear every day.

Heard this the other day....

Guy 1: Do you live in Rome?

Guy 2: No...I live in Calhoun.

Guy 1: I thought you did.

WTH? If you thought that...why ask the other?

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

This didn't happen at the range, but it happened just behind it where the batting cages are. I was young when this happened, probably 10 or 11, and this guy came storming up to the batting cage I was in and walked in without a helmet or a bat! He then proceeded to use the fastball pitching machine (90 mph) without a helmet OR a bat!!! And I was like "mister you gotta wear a helmet!" He's all like "don't worry about it!" And proceeded to take pitches right to the chest! He even took one right off his head!! It was unbelievably awesome!! He kept muttering about next seasons hockey tryouts and how he bad to toughen up!! This guy was nuts!!

Then! This giant dark skinned fella came barrelling over to the cage and unplugged this psychos machine. The guy was very displeased with this man and I remember him distinctively still talking about toughening up for hockey tryouts. The darker skinned man, who had a wooden hand btw, kept repeating that he had to give this s*** up and focus on golf!! These 2 wackos kept bantering all the way to the psycho guys' car which was a total POS beater. At this point I was out of hearing range but the psycho guy literally whipped a hockey stick out of his trunk and started blasting slapshots around with beer cans!! It was truely unbelievable!!! Nobody believes me when I tell this story!!

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

I forgot to mention that before these whack jobs walked to the psychos car, the darker skinned guy kept bragging about how he was the club pro around there. I couldn't hear all they were saying but he pulled this giant gator eyeball out of his pocket and was taping on the glass. He was talking about some tournament where he hooked a ball in the rough and the gator just popped up!! Ate his damn hand off!! OH MY GODD!!!!

After these jokers left to the car, I then proceeded to try taking the fastball right in the chest like the hockey guy. It totally winded the s*** out of me and knocked me over. My mom had to take me to the hospital because she suspected I cracked my ribs. I was too embarrassed to post this in my first post :(

Man what a story!

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

I forgot to mention that before these whack jobs walked to the psychos car, the darker skinned guy kept bragging about how he was the club pro around there. I couldn't hear all they were saying but he pulled this giant gator eyeball out of his pocket and was taping on the glass. He was talking about some tournament where he hooked a ball in the rough and the gator just popped up!! Ate his damn hand off!! OH MY GODD!!!!

After these jokers left to the car, I then proceeded to try taking the fastball right in the chest like the hockey guy. It totally winded the s*** out of me and knocked me over. My mom had to take me to the hospital because she suspected I cracked my ribs. I was too embarrassed to post this in my first post :(

Man what a story!

This was the best..

There was an older gentleman hitting balls at the range where I was just setting up to start my range session.

I'd never seen him there before...He had a really nice swing, and I complimented him on it.

We ended up talking.

He was now early to mid 70's. He said the pinnacle of his history with golf was that he qualified for the US Amateur Senior Mens tournament a long time ago. He had worked really hard to do so, and was really excited about it.

Long story short: he missed his tee time. He was there practicing but had misunderstood his tee time. He was hours late for it.

He was a really nice guy. Initially I wasn't really paying attention to the story so much. But, when he got to the part about missing his tee time, I started paying attention. You could still sense the heartbreak in his voice as he told the story.

He wasn't bragging at all; as a matter of fact you could sense that while he was proud of qualifying, he was also really embarrassed about missing his tee time.

When they told him his tee time, he heard one thing, while they said another. Based upon what he thought he heard, he planned his morning. He woke up early and went down there...

I've heard a lot of dumb 5hit at the range also, but nothing worthy of posting here. This guys story however was one that you don't hear every day.

Brutal - that's the stuff of nightmares for me. When playing in tournaments, I check my tee time compulsively, and even then get nervous that I might have mis-remembered it.

We ended up talking.

Brutal - that's the stuff of nightmares for me. When playing in tournaments, I check my tee time compulsively, and even then get nervous that I might have mis-remembered it.

I take a screen shot of the email with my time to make sure I've got it.

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

We ended up talking.

Can you imagine? That's something I probably would never, ever get over, psychologically. The pain from telling that story would absolutely kill me.

Last weekend I'm at the range trying out a new driver and hitting solid 280 yard baby draws. The guys next to me asked me what I was gaming and I told them, SLDR-C. It has a bonded hosel and costs right around $129 and you DON'T have to loft up. They said they never heard of it, must be beginners.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

Eff the SLDR, I'm hitting the Ping G a mile. 10.5 head set at 9.9 with an AD AI 6X. #fairwayfinder

DI* excuse me

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

This didn't happen at the range, but it happened just behind it where the batting cages are. I was young when this happened, probably 10 or 11, and this guy came storming up to the batting cage I was in and walked in without a helmet or a bat! He then proceeded to use the fastball pitching machine (90 mph) without a helmet OR a bat!!! And I was like "mister you gotta wear a helmet!" He's all like "don't worry about it!" And proceeded to take pitches right to the chest! He even took one right off his head!! It was unbelievably awesome!! He kept muttering about next seasons hockey tryouts and how he bad to toughen up!! This guy was nuts!!

Then! This giant dark skinned fella came barrelling over to the cage and unplugged this psychos machine. The guy was very displeased with this man and I remember him distinctively still talking about toughening up for hockey tryouts. The darker skinned man, who had a wooden hand btw, kept repeating that he had to give this s*** up and focus on golf!! These 2 wackos kept bantering all the way to the psycho guys' car which was a total POS beater. At this point I was out of hearing range but the psycho guy literally whipped a hockey stick out of his trunk and started blasting slapshots around with beer cans!! It was truely unbelievable!!! Nobody believes me when I tell this story!!

Was lee trevino there too, just shaking his head in disbelief?

Last weekend I'm at the range trying out a new driver and hitting solid 280 yard baby draws. The guys next to me asked me what I was gaming and I told them, SLDR-C. It has a bonded hosel and costs right around $129 and you DON'T have to loft up. They said they never heard of it, must be beginners.

Are you trolling Bobcat from this thread?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

So I've been practicing at the range this summer - 3 or 4 times a week for the last 6 or 7 weeks.

There are 3 sizes of buckets, which you just pick up off the floor on your way out the door after you've paid. I've been asking for a large bucket this whole time, while picking up the middle sized bucket assuming (God knows why) they are supposed to be small, large and extra large.

I'm at the counter this morning paying and look up and see the prices for the small, medium, and large bucket.

All summer I've been asking for and paying for a "large" bucket (thinking it's the middle size) while actually taking a medium bucket.

Not the stupidest thing said at the range but I bet it ranks up there with the stupidest thing done at the range.

Not the stupidest thing said at the range but I bet it ranks up there with the stupidest thing done at the range.

Dude, you're not even close. lol

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

So I've been practicing at the range this summer - 3 or 4 times a week for the last 6 or 7 weeks.

There are 3 sizes of buckets, which you just pick up off the floor on your way out the door after you've paid. I've been asking for a large bucket this whole time, while picking up the middle sized bucket assuming (God knows why) they are supposed to be small, large and extra large.

I'm at the counter this morning paying and look up and see the prices for the small, medium, and large bucket.

All summer I've been asking for and paying for a "large" bucket (thinking it's the middle size) while actually taking a medium bucket.

Haha. Reminds me of a time we were driving cross country and stopped at a little local hamburger stand in Utah. They had two drink cups sitting behind the counter with the prices on them. I asked for a small (the smaller of the two). The girl taking my order froze, looked up at me with a vacant look, and said very slowly "Uh, sir, we only have medium and large". I said (almost as slowly) "Okay, I'll take a medium then".

I'm just a little embarrassed to admit this, and I'm sure the multiple whiskeys helped it happen, but when I read this last night I got all the way to wooden hand before the lightning bolt of realization struck me. :lol:

Helluva post!

One morning as sun is just coming up on to the range, a young man had beat me to the range which is typically not normal for me to not be the first one. I go and get set up in my normal spot I start warming up with my 60°, hit a decent shot to a pin about 75 yrds out, mind you at this point I've hit maybe 6 balls and he has slowly worked his way from 20 yrds to the right to about 10 feet away. He goes "My goodness what a shot, was that a 7i?"