Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

Yesterday played a county course. Have a grass range but had the tees up in front on the range. When they do this they post a "irons only" sign. The end of the range about 230 from this point. So an older couple is there, she was "crushing" her driver 125 or so. Being about 5' tall and 90 pounds not bad. Well you guessed it a county employee center over and told her she could not hit her driver. REALLY I said. Are you kidding, she is not hitting her driver as far as my gap wedge. Well it was not pretty, but I asked if I could hit my 5 hybrid, he said "don't be a wise a**". so I went to my brothers bag an got his driving iron teed it up and hit draws into the first fairway, end of range, as hard as I could. Did not make friends yesterday. They tried to get me thrown off the course. I reminded them that my tax dollars pay their salaries and they worked for us. I was told to leave, I said "call the police if you like", and walked to the first tee. Hit the longest drive of the year, straight through the dogleg into the woods.

Common sense is indeed not very common.

Wow, The poor etiquette, the humble brags, the "I pay your salary"... This is something else

Hardooooooooooooo

Yesterday played a county course. Have a grass range but had the tees up in front on the range. When they do this they post a "irons only" sign. The end of the range about 230 from this point. So an older couple is there, she was "crushing" her driver 125 or so. Being about 5' tall and 90 pounds not bad. Well you guessed it a county employee center over and told her she could not hit her driver. REALLY I said. Are you kidding, she is not hitting her driver as far as my gap wedge. Well it was not pretty, but I asked if I could hit my 5 hybrid, he said "don't be a wise a**". so I went to my brothers bag an got his driving iron teed it up and hit draws into the first fairway, end of range, as hard as I could. Did not make friends yesterday. They tried to get me thrown off the course. I reminded them that my tax dollars pay their salaries and they worked for us. I was told to leave, I said "call the police if you like", and walked to the first tee. Hit the longest drive of the year, straight through the dogleg into the woods.

Didn't make any friends? That's a big shocker......but I'm sure with how amazing and awesome and tough you are you have a ton of friends. People probably line up around the block to watch you hit balls at the range.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Haha classic ... I'm not sure who gets the biggest ****** award .... You, the county employee or granny !!!

I'm curious to know what the old couple were doing while all this was transpiring.

As a fellow New Jersey resident, I am curious which county course this is?

Now you can add racist to your name calling, they were Asian and spoke little English, I know mentioning them as Asian makes me a racist right. Did it in a former thread about an incident 20years ago and got that tag. Of course my wife being from Korea and my kids 1/2 Asian means nothing. Yea I stuck up for this older female and would do it again. It does not make me an ah### just someone who throughout my life has stuck up for people being picked on. And to you called the "granny" nice going. She really did not know why she was being yelled at by this ####. Sticking up for others is the way I have always done things since I was a kid. Yea when I was little I got my a** kicked a few times but it was always worth it. I have spent my whole adult life teaching martial arts and self defence.

Haha classic ... I'm not sure who gets the biggest ****** award .... You, the county employee or granny !!!

real nice, you kiss you kids with that mouth? She was about 65 and spoke very little English. I guess you would have just laughed at her, or wait called her a word you can't type.

I'm curious to know what the old couple were doing while all this was transpiring.

Not understanding what was happening, confused.

I'm sure the biggest would be.........................you.

Didn't make any friends? That's a big shocker......but I'm sure with how amazing and awesome and tough you are you have a ton of friends. People probably line up around the block to watch you hit balls at the range.

Really that's you take, you are too deep a thinker for me to relate to, sorry but I am obviously out classed by you.

I don't see what's wrong with what deesall has said no reason since the implied reason behind irons only is because the travel less that 230 but if you don't hit driver 200 yards there should be no reason why you can't hit it. I mean I'm honestly more surprised the ranger Rick cared since he is being payed minimum wage to work there. As far as the reaction it is what it is but I mean I'm from NJ as well so GTL my brother.

I don't see what's wrong with what deesall has said no reason since the implied reason behind irons only is because the travel less that 230 but if you don't hit driver 200 yards there should be no reason why you can't hit it. I mean I'm honestly more surprised the ranger Rick cared since he is being payed minimum wage to work there. As far as the reaction it is what it is but I mean I'm from NJ as well so GTL my brother.

For most I think it's the irony in "sticking up for someone else" by belittling another person based on where they work and who may or may not pay their salary, and then the spoiled brat behavior on top of that tirade.

And the passive aggressive response posts when people don't agree with his actions.

Just a guess...

I was recently at the driving range of a 5 time Ryder Cup venue close to me in a bay next to an enthusiastic youth with his mom watching on from the sidelines.

"Wow that went 200 yards and I only hit it at 40% power". A simple mental calculation tells me a 100% shot would have therefore gone 500 yards.....

"Carol Vorderman..... I was watching her the other day .....and I got aroused...............7 letters ... not bad for someone who left school at 15"

Gotta love Peter Alliss!

I was recently at the driving range of a 5 time Ryder Cup venue close to me in a bay next to an enthusiastic youth with his mom watching on from the sidelines.

"Wow that went 200 yards and I only hit it at 40% power". A simple mental calculation tells me a 100% shot would have therefore gone 500 yards.....

Makes me wish my vision was like a heads up display in a fighter aircraft or video game. That would definitely be one of the stats I would list in my field of view.

Then again, it might be really disappointing. "I hit that with 100% power and it only went 230 yards???"

Ah, the naivety of youth, and the futility of growing old!

• 1 month later...

I've heard it all. I think the funniest thing that happened was some nasty divorced woman who was there with her friend. I only know she as divorced because they talked about it for a solid hour. She proceeded to "shush" me and throw a fit when the gentleman next to me asked me if there was a course I'd recommend in the area. Who shushs someone at a 40 bay driving range? No wonder her husband left her hahaha

"Don't rotate your hips, you lose power"

The instructor then tried to demostrate and proceeded to skull 5 balls.

"These shafts aren't stiff enough for me"

Hahahahaha that's an instant classic.

I was chatting with the Callaway fitter and he says the most common question is..."can I try the Tour spec shafts".....and how 15 hcp players with 85mph club head speed get upset because he won't let them hit an X flex Whiteboard. He says Trackman is the ultimate ego destroyer and is often accused of it being "wrong". Our local guy is great and will even offer swing tips but finds that most people just want to lash a driver and are not interested in consistency.

Guy recording swing to frail 70 yr old looking guy hitting driver: "The problem is your shaft is too whippy. Look at it here on the video. You probably need a stiff shaft". (obviously seeing rolling shutter effect).

Frail 70 yr old looking guy hitting driver: "I hit my 3w 300 yards, but I can barely hit my driver 200."

Guy recording swing: "If you can hit your 3w 300 yards, I don't know why you're even bothering trying to hit your driver".

My then 6 year old yelling look out when his driver slipped out of his hands and rattled around in the canopy rafters for a couple seconds then fell out about 3 stalls behind him. I could hardly keep from laughing as I went down the line to pick it up and say sorry to the guys it landed in front of.

Not on the range but on the course. Got paired with a lovely mom in her early 40's. Pretty, elegant, refined with an adequate game. Missed a 3 footer somewhere mid round and like the best, frustrated sailor blurted out a 'well, f.. me in the a...' I burst out laughing and am laughing now as I recall her.

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Not on the range but on the course. Got paired with a lovely mom in her early 40's. Pretty, elegant, refined with an adequate game. Missed a 3 footer somewhere mid round and like the best, frustrated sailor blurted out a 'well, f.. me in the a...' I burst out laughing and am laughing now as I recall her.

^^^^ Gotta love that!

I've mentioned this before but worth another go. On course, not range, but still good. Paired with nice couple from New Jersey in their 40's, decent players. My partner leaves his putt short so I asked if his husband played also. The nice lady chimes in with "I thought he stepped on his string!". Think about it...

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Guy recording swing to frail 70 yr old looking guy hitting driver: "The problem is your shaft is too whippy. Look at it here on the video. You probably need a stiff shaft". (obviously seeing rolling shutter effect).

Frail 70 yr old looking guy hitting driver: "I hit my 3w 300 yards, but I can barely hit my driver 200."

Guy recording swing: "If you can hit your 3w 300 yards, I don't know why you're even bothering trying to hit your driver".

Of all the responses in this thread, this is my favorite. Because I was involved in a similar conversation on the golf course once. I was behind a group on a 400 yd par 4. The group were not long hitters. The first 2 had hit drives 150-180 and hit their 2nd shots while the group ahead was still putting, knowing they could not reach the green. The 3rd guy was about 205 out and was waiting for the green to clear. I asked him why he was waiting to hit from 200+ out when he didn't even hit his teed up driver 200. He said because he hits his 3 wood farther than his driver. I asked why he didn't hit his 3 wood from the tee then. His response was, "I paid over $500 for this driver, I'm gonna hit it every chance I get."

I asked why he didn't hit his 3 wood from the tee then. His response was, "I paid over $500 for this driver, I'm gonna hit it every chance I get."

Been there, done that, glad I worked my way through it. I am much better off now that I learned to hit the driver. Sadly now I am a little scared of the 3 wood (hooks).

On the range with my instructor at the time hitting wedge shots and he blades the first couple over our target green and looks at me and in all seriousness says "well these aren't ProV1's after all." Still think about it whenever I blade a practice ball to this day

2016 M2 HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65 6.0 9.5*
Epic Fujikura Pro 15*
P790 UDI 2i KBS Tour $-Taper 17*
Apex Pro 16 4-7, Apex MB 8-PW KBS Tour C-Taper
SM6 52/56 SM6 Raw 60
Versa #1 WBW 34"
ProV1x

Why didnt you take her up on that?